Am I overreacting about what happened with my sons teacher?

Ask for him to be moved or try homeschool…he should not be made to feel he is different and no child should be isolated…stay on top of it…I would move my child …ypu reinforce with him that he is no different than any other child and that he is smart and you love him…

Can you transfer him to another class

1 Like

segregating this wee guy is not going to help his self esteem in any way. It needs to be dealt with and if the teacher will not listen then write to her/him. If that gives no satisfaction then go to the head. If that does not help then complain to the education minister.

6 Likes

Your concerns are valid. Is your kiddo on an IEP?

Get a nanny cam and put it on his shirt with audio you’ll see the truth.

16 Likes

Does he possibly have behavioral issues as well? My husband is a 2nd grade teacher and there are a few students at times that need to sit separately as their actions and behaviors distract the other students wanting to learn. Not saying that’s what’s going on here, but I know as a parent sometimes it’s hard to find fault in our own littles or to accept they may act differently for teachers than for us at home. Best of luck to you momma. I hope you find out soon so the issue can be addressed regardless of what it is!

11 Likes

Keep being his advocate. If he’s uncomfortable in that seat, make sure that you have her switch it.

4 Likes

It is just WRONG to separate him from classmates. Sitting him in front of class beside her desk? Oh No, NO, JUST NO!
I would demand him getting a different teacher. The teacher honestly sounds as if she doesn’t need to be a Teacher!

8 Likes

The water bottle thing is weird. My daughter has been required to bring her own water bottle since Preschool. She’s now going into 8th grade.
I feel like this teacher isn’t even giving him a chance. She’s already expecting trouble from him, before he’s even started. My heart hurts for him.

9 Likes

She’s not exactly a pleasant person to you, talk to your son about how pleasant or rude she is to him and get involved

Does he have an IEP or 504 plan that she has to follow?

6 Likes

Switch teachers/classrooms!

8 Likes

I agree She didn’t have to come off so rude towards you. But I can see these types of situations both ways. Teachers have got to be so stressed. Especially in public schools the class sizes are ridiculously huge (at least in my city they are) trying to keep that big of a group focused and learning properly cannot be an easy task. Then if you have a few children who need some extra help on top of that you have to be strategic for sure.
So My guess would be the easier way to be able to ensure the kids who have trouble focusing is to sit them close by.
At least she is doing her best to make sure your son is in a position to be able to pay attention to learn ,which is what they are there for. And even if you feel he is isolated in some way. He still has recess and lunch to socialize with peers.

This is standard for a distributive child . Suck it up

I’d yank my kid out so fing fast

9 Likes

How’s his behavior? If hes being asked constantly to pay attention, then the desk is quite fitting and he should have listened better.

7 Likes

I think you’re reading too much into this. The teacher has to teach all the kids. That sometimes means making decisions you may not understand. Try asking her why he’s sitting by her. Then explain that to him.

My daughter say by her teacher in first grade. She didn’t take it as a punishment. She knew she needed extra help, less distraction & someone to tell her it’s not time to dance (:joy:).

10 Likes

Be his advocate. Honestly, I’d speak with the school about switching him to a different teacher. The fact she is rude to YOU over some of what you’ve mentioned tells me she may need a little redirection, herself.
If he looks unhappy there to you, something is off. Trust your gut.
Telling him he’s there because he’s tall doesn’t help, because its saying he’s separated because he’s physically different. If she were honest, and KIND, and made the desk seem really good for him, that’d be better.

Nope, I’d be pissed off too. Clearly talking to her isn’t going to get you anywhere. Raise hell mama

3 Likes

Yeah that teacher is being a big time B! Sorry to say.

my girls had a bully as a teacher so glad they win middle school now!

1 Like

Take him out…she has already decided she doesn’t like him !!!

13 Likes

Why is it bad to be treated differently because of a disability? That’s exactly what accommodations are.

Edit since you ableist jerks need clarification. Yes i have a very painful and debilitating condition called elhers danlos and am autistic.

Treated differently because of disability is literally accommodations.

This child is being accommodated for his success and safety and the success and safety of the classroom.

5 Likes

Oh wow your summer school has started already. My sons school hasn’t even ended. Maybe call the principal and talk to them about it. Ask what specifically are they doing to help your son. If you aren’t comfortable take him out 

2 Likes

This teacher needs to be turned in to the school. This comes under abuse and she’s not doing her job as a teacher. If she doesn’t change her attitude toward him get him moved out of her class and turn her in for child abuse!! She’s paid to teach not to abuse and reprimand.

4 Likes

Pull him out there are different schools - there is no way no matter what learning problems he or she has - every kids should be Treated the same - apparently she’s not a good teacher

3 Likes

I wouldn’t like it if my daughter had to sit separately, and my daughters school all students have to bring there own water bottle xx

It’s obvious that the teacher is bullying your son due to the pampering you giving ,. Your child needs some space from you by the sounds of it … You need to loose the apron strings just a wee bit yeah

10 Likes

I also wouldn’t leave my son there change schools if possible

3 Likes

Remember Mama/your his voice/advocate !!!
Speak up !!!

7 Likes

The school (our tax dollars) are paying her to treat a child with encouragement and to be successful in his school year. Since it has already been discussed, pull your child out of that classroom. Your child does not need to be regretting going to school each day. When you pull him out, be sure and not only write the principal and the school board a letter but, also a personal visit. Let them know why your child is no longer attending. :rage:

2 Likes

I’m jus asking if he’s to talk for the regular table where do u want him to sit

So my thing is like this … obviously ur child has a behavior disorder also because the only way a child will be put by him self is if he is acting out like a class clown I could be wrong… but teachers are there to help ur child read write and spell not for a behavior lesson I’m just saying… if ur child has a leaning disorder I’m sure behavior is one that falls in that category also … I’m not trying to be mean I’m just saying the teachers have it hard also because This is my child I wouldn’t be worried about where he sitting or how he feels school comes first friends come later … they are not there to play or make friends they are there to work and learn and that’s what I tell both of my boys … I really hope everything works out for ur son but just remember look at the bigger picture here 

9 Likes

Yall are all over reacting. This is summer school which means this child is ALREADY there because he needs extra help. Sounds like he’s beside the teacher for less distraction and to get extra help on work.

13 Likes

maybe he could be transferred to another classroom? maybe talking to the School counselor would help?

1 Like

I’m beginning to wonder if the schools even train teachers in how to best teach adhd students! My grandson was treated horribly in grammar school and beginning of middle school…even told not to come to end of year picnic! I cried and cried over that…he just was very distracted and fidgety in class not disrespectful.biy the time he got to high school he hated school. He did graduate but we couldn’t get him to go further because of the early trauma. Teachers need more awareness and training on this…he had a 504 but it was never implemented.

3 Likes

But he is different :thinking: Whether he’s being redirected in front of her desk or not, he’s still getting the attention of being called out.
In a classroom full of kids, and she has to keep redirecting, she’s human and may be frustrated.
Perhaps she’s burned out, and may need to step down.
My son was ADHD to the MAX, his kindergarten teacher was an older lady, that used to tell me he needed to be diagnosed, cause he disturbs class from redirecting him, he was in everyone’s biz, couldn’t stay in his seat…!
She had zero patience, she was burned out!

1 Like

Speak to your son when he comes home. Ask him if he likes it there and wants to keep going. If not I would change summer school, teacher doesn’t sound like she has the skills to.make you feel comfortable.

2 Likes

Change schools or classrooms. I wouldn’t leave him with that teacher.

6 Likes

Unless your son is complaining let it go

4 Likes

You are much more understanding than me. This needs to be stopped right now. I don’t know why he is doing summer school other than disabilities but my immediate family has at least 4 teachers and I know without even asking there isn’t one of them that would have done this. Don’t know if it’s one particular subjects all subjects or how long the day is how old the teacher is . It doesn’t matter if your son goes to summer school and everyday is like the first day he won’t learn anything he will tune out. Children with disabilities often find it very difficult to make friends and take part in activities because a lot of them think they are not good enough and he will be made fun of. And that’s exactly what it’s going to happen. You set a seven-year-old up in this situation and I think she could be traumatized for the rest of your life. In the information packet you were driven this should be a name or names and phone numbers to call if you have concerns about anything. If you can’t find a number or
t they didn’t give you one find the names and phone numbers for the school board. And called them. This is assuming you are going to get nowhere with this teacher when you speak with her privately. I don’t care if the answer she gives you is because he needs more help. I am assuming that means she is going to not get her butt up out of the chair for the entire summer and it’s easier for her to have him there not him. It’s been sitting home early enough to find other parents driving their children influence help of Nod whatever and if you see somebody that looks like she request with you ask her if she knows anything about this teacher. If your son has been diagnosed truly with a disability and the first week gets worse the school system should be able to provide your son a tuter. Whatever you do do not allow any other children or your son here you sleeping with the teacher. It has to be a private conversation. And the reason I’m so adamant is I had a very bad teacher when I was about that age. I am retired and even now I can remember exactly what she looked like what the school looked like and what the classroom look like, exactly where her desk was and where I sat. The only place I have that Vivid of a memory after 16 years of schooling. If u r just finding blank walls everywhere, look in the packet of information you got at the beginning of this school year for his teacher’s name and phone number and call her

If you feel like something is off, it probably is. Trust your gut. If she has that type of attitude towards you as a parent, imagine how she treats her students who are “different” when you’re not around.

4 Likes

You need to trust your instincts and have him moved from her class. Why let your baby feel like that when you can fix it? If she was rude to you to your face why not ask her what her problem is?

2 Likes

You are NOT overreacting at all
I am a teacher and a mother and this is unacceptable on all levels
Have a meeting immediately with her and the principal

13 Likes

It’s time to call the principal for a meeting with you and the teacher. Tell the principal that you are not getting any civil response from this teacher on why she is treating your son the way she is. If she has a reason for singling him out you’d like to hear what it is. And if she has a problem teaching him, you want him placed with another teacher.

10 Likes

He shouldn’t be left out of the loop and treat him different,it will effect him

5 Likes

Go over her head. Talk to the principal and if that doesn’t work, then the school board.

9 Likes

Nuhh uhh . It’s called inclusive learning and she’s singling him out . Go right to the school board, I’d also send a recorder to school with your son and set it in his desk . Maybe you can catch how she’s truly treating him . It happened to me in grade 2 . My teacher was mentally, verbally abusive and she got physical with me twice . My mom didn’t believe me until she caught her red handed . My mom back handed her so bad in front of the whole administration her nose bled . She was let go that same day .

7 Likes

She is single him out coz I get he need to be at front near the teacher but why can’t she put other student that love learning next to him my child’s got leaning difficulty qnd is always distracted but he also sits with 3 other boys and the teacher she isolating him and there no need to her to be rude in any stuashion I talk to u child if he like to stay and I talk to the school see if u can switch teacher

Walk straight to the office and file a complaint, this will hurt your child… It is hurting you too. If nothing is done go to principal and tell him you are going to school board. Just get your child out of there

4 Likes

Maybe give it a little bit, see how your child is going, keep asking him how his day was, what was great about class and what could have been better. If you identify things that are really bothering him, then call in the bigger mama bear moves. If he’s feeling left out, or the teacher is being particular with only him, have a meeting with the teacher and the principal to develop a more suitable arrangement for him.
When my daughter was younger, 6, I had specifically asked the teacher to keep her up front to start with to develop her focus and routine in the classroom…as she got settled in, she was then moved in to a more huddled group of kids in the middle. I’d also let the teacher know what I found most effective at regaining her attention that wasn’t disruptive long lectures (for us it was hand signals, she knew this meant stop and listen).
The very first teacher we dealt with was pretty dismissive like this one sounds, but very quickly realised I was correct in what I had been asking/instructing and made life easier for everyone lol

Take the next step up the ladder and keep going until you get the right response.just dont.lable all teachers because of her.Been there done that

6 Likes

My son has ADHD and he knows he does better away from other students so he requests his seat be away from others. I can see if there’s already been tons of problems with trying To redirect him. But every teacher I’ve dealt with usually is open about why’s or questions. Sounds like u need to have a discussion with the teacher and principal

1 Like

:raising_hand_woman:t2:I’ve dealt with ADHD my whole life, and it really affected me in my school years. I remember in 5th grade a teacher got so upset with me for chatting with others, that he picked up my desk and slammed it down right in front of me. I was frozen, in shock, and the rest of the class was too. I let my mom know after school what had happened, and she put that man in his place so well, that he never did anything aggressive or mean towards me ever again. Sometimes you need to let these teachers know that regardless of their position, they need to come correct, and be professional. If I was you, I’d let her know that her attitude isn’t appreciated, and that you will be reporting her if it continues, or if she treats your son unfairly in any way

6 Likes

Talk to teacher just say your uncomfortable and it’s unacceptable.

Your nuts get him away from this hateful person before she does more damage…

3 Likes

They’re actually supposed to have their own water bottle and access to water at all times anyway. Don’t let teachers speak down to you like you’re one of their students alot think they can, I’ve always told them if they’re being rude lol report her as well. Go above her .

If teacher was rude and shows no concern for you as an adult, how can you trust her with your 7 yr old.

Request a sit in and see how she does as a teach and how he does during the day. I’d you see something you don’t approve of have a conversation in person. With emails or text things can be misunderstood because of context or lack of because you can’t tell how the person is meaning things or the ton. If no resolution go up the chain.

3 Likes

Understand this: people identify differences, if you’re that way inclined you’ll use it against them if not you’ll accept and embrace them.

Maybe focus on helping your kid not require so much extra attention and not on the teacher’s reactions. She sounds frustrated with both you and him, & is probably limited in what she’s allowed to say.

5 Likes

it hurts being singled out

3 Likes

Ask your child how they feel about the desk and what there teacher is like towards them

5 Likes

I’d give it a chance if u see behaviour changes then raise concerns and threaten to go above their head.

I’d maybe keep a note of anything that doesn’t sit right so u have some evidence to back u up x

I would have a problem with it!!

1 Like

l get paid over $177 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18984 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

M0re Info. https://amazingearning628.pages.dev/

6 Likes

Is he easily distracted or does he easily distract others? My daughter has ADHD and that’s what most of her teachers have to do with her because she is easily distracted by her classmates and she distracts them. It’s uncalled for, for the teacher to talk to you like that but there is a method for their madness. But if she is singling him out and not letting him interact with the class throughout the day then that’s different.

6 Likes

He shouldn’t be made to feel uncomfortable whatsoever. He you don’t get the results your looking for? Go above her with these concerns. Ask him how he feels n if it bothers him to be sitting there have her move him.

1 Like

Work with the teacher a bit. Sounds like you guys got off to a rocky start. Communicate through a notebook sent to school or via email. The teacher is new to you and just may be your saving grace by implementing certain restrictions or limitations that we moms may find difficult. If your child is struggling please have them evaluated for extra services. He may have some struggles that can be made easier with additional help. Sometimes as moms we tend to coddle a bit too much and overreact. Give it a week or two and if things still haven’t worked themselves out ask for a different placement. Who knows you just may like her after all….

2 Likes

I would talk to my son without mentioning the desk or your issues with the teacher. Just see how he feels about school in general and ask him all about it as if you don’t know anything about it. Chances are he’s good with it. I have ADHD and still need to be seated separate from others for certain things so I dont distract others and so I can focus without distractions. This is most likely to his and the other kids benefit. Successful kids are happy. As moms we get a little sensitive about our babies and in reality they are just fine as long as we make them feel like they are. That teacher may not like you but he may be one of her favorite students. Talk to your boy.

7 Likes

l get paid over $ 190 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 20935 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://dollarinfopaid152.pages.dev/

2 Likes

It sounds to me like you are putting your own self and feelings as a seven year old into this. You started the day out with your own negative feeling already toward the teacher when asking about water.
The only disapproval your son indicated was you saw his head down so you assumed he felt singled out.
You never mentioned your son coming home in tears or saying he felt singled out or him having any kind of issue after school.
It sounds like the teacher did a good job of talking to him.
You need to ride this out and try not to apply your own feelings to the situation. Wait for your son to show and voice indications it’s not working.

9 Likes

I have adhd and had an iep. I was never isolated to a desk by myself I was always close to the teacher but wasn’t treated differently. I would not be ok with this

5 Likes

I think if she was being rude to you she’s probably being rude to him also

sounds to me like you want your son to have a binky still too … let it be and go unless he asks you for help or his teacher.

6 Likes

You are his voice !
She is not better than you!
You do not have to be mean, just go to the principle and request a meeting and let them know how you feel. Do NOT cower in fear! This is your child! Let her know, if she has a problem … let’s talk this out now… open and honest …
I am a grandma now. So I have been through all of this. I know some people are just intimidating for some reason.
Stand strong for him momma :muscle:

6 Likes

Get him out of there!

4 Likes

Against the law trust me i know ,.don’t let teacher say anything different

4 Likes

Go to principal n than superintendent. Get him transferred to a different teacher

4 Likes

I hate when people use the long drawn out okay in a condescending tone. That was enough for me there.

3 Likes

The teachers attitude alone causes me great pause! I would venture to say that your son does feel “different”. That is never ok! Needing a seat with minimal distraction shouldn’t involve total isolation. Do a pop up visit, see if you still receive the same attitude. Trust your momma intuition. You are your child’s voice!

3 Likes

Make them put him in a different class.

1 Like

OK, if you are not happy remove him completely

3 Likes

red flag on the teacher; know anyone else who has dealt with her? principal?

1 Like

But why was he moved? Was he interfering with other students? Providing a distraction through talking, disruptive noises, rough housing, etc? I feel like there is more to this story. If you are concerned go to the principal. All kids can’t be treated the same because all kids are not the same.

9 Likes

My daughter is super well behaved. She’s a nature people pleaser! She’s quite and shy too. And scared of everything. She has been diagnosed with ADHD and anxiety disorders. Her last teacher had her desk at the teachers desk so the teacher could help her. She never seemed to mind it. When she got a new teacher her desk was with the other kids and she is not learning anything. Actually she is losing skills not gaining anything! All kids are very different! And I can see both sides to this. Best of luck to you. Honestly I wouldn’t be happy about her telling me, 'Ask him what he did." That’s her job! She should have contacted you and told you if he is misbehaving.

4 Likes

Take your concerns to the principal or take him out of summer school if that doesn’t help

Every one should HOME SCHOOL if they can. The schools get federal funding for the number of students! If you have to work, get together with some other families that home school.

1 Like

Have you talked to your son about it? At seven he should be able to tell you what’s going on in there. Summer school is optional in most places, and they usually try to make it fun. If he’s unhappy pull him out and find other structured things for him to do such as day camp.

2 Likes

Switch classes if you can she’s rude and condescending

Ok, I’m a teacher and so what he’s a “taller” student. He should not be isolated from the other children. I have a few with behavior issues and I do have them sit by me a few seconds until they can calm down and then they go on with their day. I just have them sit down and count to 10 and take a deep breath. Sometimes it works, sometimes they take a few minutes to calm down. I’d get him out of there and talk to the principal and if they don’t resolve the issue I’d go to the superintendent. I get it teachers are overwhelmed by a lot of things but she acts like she doesn’t care about your concerns. I hope you get the answers you’re looking for.

5 Likes

Let the teacher address behaviors . My 8 year old and 6 year old would be in their glory to sit by the teacher. Homeschooling is always a option if you can’t support the teacher .

8 Likes

I’d hate to be a teacher these days, your kid will be fine…kids are way to sensitive these days and can’t handle anything

14 Likes

Back off and see how things go. If things aren’t good talk to an administrator.

had a 5th grade teacher that was even worse he completely separated some of us boys he did not like, he told the entire class were were bad seeds… his name was Mr Papernick, can you guess what we called him lolol…

Maybe private tutoring or homeschooling would be options for you and your son.

3 Likes

My daughter was bullied by her teachers at a private Christian school from 3rd to 5th grade. She started cutting and has been in counseling ever since, not only because of that but it didn’t help. She’s doing much better now but it took a long time. If you think it doesn’t feel right act on it. You’ll regret it later if you don’t. Talk to the principal, take him out of the school, whatever it takes.

4 Likes

Switch teachers for your son!

3 Likes

The teacher is an ass.

It seems he was in timeout! You said he has to be redirected alot! You need to work on compliance with your son!

7 Likes

Instead of putting yourself in a 7 year olds place put yourself in teachers place. Shes got a whole classroom full of 7 year olds shes expected to teach. Now imagine having 20 plus 7 year olds you’re trying to teach a lesson plan to and continually having to stop to redirect the same child. Wouldnt you want that child as close to you as possible so it dont take any more.time from the lesson plan??? Teachers deal with alot. I have a couple friends who’ve quit bc they couldn’t deal with the unruly kids and parents whod rather get mad at them and point their finger at everyone but them and their child. If your child is being disruptive he absolutely does need to be sat near the teacher and away from other children…how would you feel if your child was missing out on learning bc they were sat next to the disruptive kid In class?? You need to have a conversation and explain this to your boy instead of making him feel like a victim.

18 Likes