Am I overreacting about what happened with my sons teacher?

I need some advice on what to do in this situation. I have a seven year old little boy who is going to summer school this year. When I went in for meet the teacher day his teacher seemed pretty rude toward me. I asked if he could bring his own water bottle and she looked at me like I’m crazy and said okay in a long rude way. Today I go in to drop him off and all the other students are sitting four to a table but my son has a single desk in the front beside the teachers desk. I do kind of understand because my son needs a little more help and needs to be redirected often. I just don’t want him to think he is being treated different because of his learning disabilities. When I left he had his head down and it was clear he thought he was in trouble. I told his teacher he isn’t happy about that desk and she shrugged her shoulders and said okay like to bad pretty much. I called back to the school and talked to her and she said she had a talk to him about why he is sitting there and she said it is a taller desk because he is taller and that he will have plenty of time with the other students through out the day. I completely understand that but I can take myself back to be a seven year old and I would feel out of place and like they are treated me different for some reason. I don’t know I just need some advice. I honestly can’t keep talking with the teacher either because if she’s not treating him different now I believe she will.

367 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Am I overreacting about what happened with my sons teacher? - Mamas Uncut

Thats exactly what the teachers doing treating him differently he should be sitting with other kids

13 Likes

You need to bypass the teacher and ask for answers from the principal. You’ve tried. Don’t give up. Sectioning a child out is NOT ok. Be vigilant by being his voice.

28 Likes

I would demand he sit with the other students! Talk to principal if you have too!

6 Likes

Call and request a meeting with the principal. Explain it to him/her :heart:

4 Likes

I’d be contacting the principal and not sending them until it gets sorted out :woman_shrugging:t4:

7 Likes

Nope. Fuc* that. Completely unnecessary, especially when it’s just summer school

9 Likes

Go to administration with this. You are your son’s voice.

6 Likes

Get him out of her class immediately

13 Likes

Talk to the school or whoever is over her & tell them how she’s been rude to you & what is going on w her & your son.

See if he can get in with another teacher. Not a good situation.

7 Likes

Even if he needs extra help, he could still be sitting in the group setting. Just in the closest group to the front so he don’t feel out of place. Talk to principal about this.

3 Likes

Get your son an IEP or 504 if he doesn’t already have one. Met with the principal, & inform them that after you address the situation in that office that the teacher will then be addressed. Teaching is an art & clearly this teacher is lacking.

3 Likes

Me personally I would get my son switched from his class to another if that don’t work another school and if those things are still happening at other schools guess what

2 Likes

Go above to the principle

3 Likes

Could he be easily distracted?
My 7yo told his teacher he’s easily distracted and she put him at a single desk next to hers and she gives him a cushion to use to help him focus. I don’t feel like it’s always a punishment sometimes it really helps benefit a child

2 Likes

Stand up for your child. If it feels off speak up!

9 Likes

In indiana we have a n organization called insource. They take care of that indifference! You must know your complaint be firm direct to the point!

He’s Definitely being singled out and that’s not ok. Learning problems or not, she needs to do her job. She can do that no matter where he’s sitting. If he’s a distraction to others or hurting others, that’s a different story. But from what you’ve said, your son needs to be with other students and treated fairly. That’s got to feel so horrible for him. Stand up for your boy because no one else will.

4 Likes

I don’t like it bad vibes

2 Likes

Express your concerns to the teacher via email. (Paper trail) especially if you can word it in a way that states you have already had a conversation with her. (Per our last conversation (s)….)
That way it is documented. Be very specific on what you feel the issues are and what you hope the corrections will be. Make sure you cc or bcc her supervisor.

11 Likes

Get him out of her class immediately!!

6 Likes

I’m sorry but I grew up remembering a loner desk was when the child was in trouble. He’s 7 years old, does he really need summer school or can you teach him the basics and try again next year. Always go with your gut, if she’s not hesitant to talk to you like that then picture how she is with your child. If it was me, id pull my child from summer school, take him to lunch and tell him the truth. You know it’s not because he’s taller. Don’t let you child grow up believing lies especially if they are trusting that person. I’m a special kind of momma and will go rounds with the school board, district and even teacher. I’ve done it, you are your child’s advocate. The teacher next year will know if your son truly needs help. Let him enjoy the summer, there’s too much bullying in schools anymore. :heart:

9 Likes

Go sit in class … observation! Do not ever let anyone make your child feel less… let that mama bear out and protect him

13 Likes

Sounds exactly how my son was treated all damn year by his teacher. His desk was in the back of the class in the corner all alone and it was clear she didn’t care about my son at all!! He has a speech delay and learning curve and he needed help a lot but she just ignored him unless it was negative. Stick to your gut feeling.

Talk to the principal next

2 Likes

Red flag mama!! Trust your gut!!

3 Likes

You are that baby’s voice mama! Take this above the teacher!

3 Likes

If he has a true learning disability why isn’t he in a classroom for that? Do they not have those types of classrooms? I would think that would allow him to not stand out as much and still have a great time with other students.

5 Likes

Super bad vibes !!! No way in heck I would be allowing that she would definitely know I’m boss not her and to treat my child with respect !! Sorry you have to go through that :disappointed:

5 Likes

They do this often, ususlly with kids with behavior issues. Sad. I don’t agree, at all. But it is often the way they keep the little people focused and from disrupting thw entire class.
My son is on an IEP. Is often away from the other students, and even removed from the classroom, missing a lot of the class time projects due to his attitude. It sucks.
I hope as little man ages, continues with medication , and some behavior therapy, he will be able to have more days were he isn’t the odd kid out who is always having to be redirected and told to sit down.

6 Likes

My son is special needs and he isn’t separate from the class. Your child is being singled out and it’s not ok. Be loud mama. Let them hear your roar.

7 Likes

Please take this to her principal. I work with sped kids, not once this is ok! She may have good intentions, though this is exclusion not inclusion!

5 Likes

My daughter was having trouble with her teacher as well from and we fixed the problem by removing my daughter from class to a different one . Maybe you can do the same

5 Likes

I tried to write how this may be ok but that argument was weak af. I can’t think of any reason why she needed to do this. If he were actually in trouble then fine, but go put your foot down. If she won’t listen then talk with the principal. Go all the way up to the school board and superintendent if you have to. She seems like a real peach and idk why someone that sour teaches little kids. Go to college with that attitude

2 Likes

Take him home…she’s being a KAREN…go get him right now … please

6 Likes

Talk to the counselor or the assistant principal address your concerns, he is your child he has right does he has a plan like IEP 504? , he should not be single out . My oldest has a plan we get together with teachers and counselor to agree how things should be addressed regarding her medical condition.

4 Likes

YOU ARE YOUR CHILDS VOICE! Never think twice about speaking up when it comes to your child. Because if you don’t who will?? She sounds super rude, your sons holiday be singled out. That’s not how you handle a situation like that. Unless maybe we just don’t have all the pieces. But absolutely not, and the way she responded about the water bottle… I can just hear her saying it and it irritated me. Idk how you didn’t lose your cool! Please address this with the principal if she’s going to be nasty. If that’s a dead end superintendent. Make sure you’re being heard not just listened to. If that makes sense

He needs to be integrated. Unacceptable.

1 Like

My son has Autism and the same, exact thing happened to him in Kindergarten. Call the District Office and demand an IEP (Individual Education Plan) immediately. After the assessments (testing,) perhaps he’ll need to be moved to a different classroom but they shouldn’t be segregating him from his peeps. That’s a big no-no.

6 Likes

Have a conference with her and the principal and document was you’re seeing that upsets you. Trust your instincts.

2 Likes

Go with your gut. Something isn’t right and I would speak with the principal. Also, keep making pop in visits.

6 Likes

If she has the AUDACITY to talk to me like that I am DEFINITELY not gunna trust her unsupervised with my baby. That’s just me though. I don’t do well with :sparkles:disrespect​:sparkles:.

10 Likes

I would go to the principle and express your concerns. I’m putting my 7 year old daughter in his spot and me in your spot and my heartbreaks. If that happened to my daughter she’d be in tears daily. Just because he’s has learning disabilities doesn’t mean he needs to be singled out to be an obvious kid that needs help.

5 Likes

Go to the principal today…get him in a different classroom.

5 Likes

Take it up the ladder! Talk to the principal. If that doesn’t work, go above the principals head to the superintendent and on up to the school board if need be!

4 Likes

Good thing next year he will have a different teacher . He’s 7… I get it if he’s totally out of line and disturbing the whole class that’s necessary at times . And it can be hard for a teacher dealing with all that and other kids I get it … the water bottle thing was rude … and her being rude to you is a red flag . But the summer school thing sounds a bit much . Summer is short it’s for kids to refresh their brains and have some time out of school before the new school year . Summer school might over stimulate him and then he’s right back to school after summer , not really fair . I diddnt even think they had summer school for such a young age ! I would talk to the principle and observe if you can . Good luck mama ! Your doing your best !

I would talk with the principal

3 Likes

You need to report it. If you know your child very well do what’s best for him so he’ll feel comfortable and safe.

2 Likes

My daughter is 14 now and has been in the desk next to the teacher since she was 5, im ñor gonna kid myself and blame the teacher when I know how she’s chatty and disruptive. She’ll probably be in 12th grade and still sitting next to them. If you know he needs redirecting then most likely it’s been continuously happening

7 Likes

Kudos for not cussing her out and slapping her…take him out ask him what he wants…or if she is mean to him…have her fired!!!

1 Like

Go with your gut! You know your child! Call the office speak to principal!

4 Likes

I went through the same with my daughter’s teacher I went over the teachers head and sat down with all the higher ups and the teacher and voiced my concerns. My daughter is ADHD and has a very hard time staying on task. She just learns differently and I know it can be frustrating but as a teacher you should know how to handle that appropriately when my 7 yr old daughter is coming hone from school everyday in tears because the teacher is singling her our and yelling at her excessivly and telling me that she’s stupid and can’t get anything right it’s a problem. My heart broke when she said that to me and just speaking to the teacher wasn’t helping so I took it a step further. Maybe you should do the same that teacher sounds so rude I’m sorry you have to deal with that.

why not educate him at home. This does not sound like a good teacher for any kid.

3 Likes

…. No your not over reacting I wouldn’t have left my child there !

4 Likes

Um if he needs to be redirected then what better place then next to the teacher. My granddaughter had the same issues in school and it was disruptive to the other students. She had learning disabilities as well and eventually a IEP was done. Just saying this to say ask for services and assessments so that he can progress. My granddaughter’s IEP was written at 8 years of age and reviewed throughout the years. They determined that she had until age 21 to graduate from high school. Proud to say that she will be 21 on the 21st of this month and graduated today. Yes we cheered the loudest.

6 Likes

Id take him out of that summer school and teach him at home for the summer…let him be a kid! Screw her if she teaches like that!

5 Likes

Up the ladder you should go! :ladder::arrow_up:

5 Likes

Take it to the board make a complaint so many kids are put off education because of teachers like this

4 Likes

Nope. I’d be speaking to the principal and if they don’t listen go higher

3 Likes

If he needs constant redirecting then look into possible ADHD and if he has it then request an IEP.

4 Likes

Honestly, he’s probably being seated in the best place for him.
Try to explain that to him in a way he can understand.

2 Likes

Report her for sure.She sounds unprofessional and mean.If she was that nasty with you imagine how horrible she is alone with the kids…sounds like shes mad she teaching school in the summer and plans on being miserable and taking it out on those kids.My child would not remain in her class.

8 Likes

So , you are mad because he will be sitting next to the teacher so she can give her more “ attention “ and redirect him because he has a learning disability?
How do you expect the teacher to help him in a classroom full with students if he it’s not close enough to her ?

14 Likes

First document it in an email.
So you have something in writing then escalate up to the principal

4 Likes

Wow I think you know he is a sticker so deal with this at home and you will not have this issue

3 Likes

I am a teacher and throughout the year, I moved students to single desks if I felt they needed extra help or if I felt they were easily distracted but I was never rude to a parent if they questioned it and they understood my reasonings. I never made the student feel excluded. If his head was down, that is definitely a sign that there’s a problem. I would talk to him and ask him his feelings and then go further if you need to. Speak up for your child because these days bullies are not just students.

Ask your son how he feels. Then address the school and not the teacher. This goes above her and her attitude.

7 Likes

Make an appt with the principle and tell them u will not have your child separated from the class! Part of their job is to streamline students. This child is so young. Tell them you spoke to the teacher n she’s NOT willing to make him a part of her classroom n help him for in. U may b so inclined to put him with a decent human being-Teacher who actually understands n helps children n loves her job.

3 Likes

He is being segregated for sure. The only thing that is important is that he obviously feels he is being treated differently- saying he is in that desk because he is tall is still segregating him but come on we know that is the reason. You need to address and tell her how she made you feel and your son feel. Ask that he is included with other kids or is there other options for another teacher and also ask that the principal be included in the conversation, if he has a caseworker in the school, who is above her. I was a kid with learning disabilities and I hate that world disability because I just learn differently than the standard teaching method that has never changed to be flexible for kids that learn differently.
I have three kids that have IEP’s. Make sure if he has an IEP is being followed by the letter. Yes, this needs to be addessed

11 Likes

When I was a kid, that desk was for the bad kid

8 Likes

Ask for a meeting with the principal and have the teacher there too. Tell the principal how you spoke with the teacher and how she was rude. Then ask to have your son put n another class if that is an option. Good luck

They did that to my son and after 2 weeks I put a stop to that real quick. It’s not healthy for them to be separated from the other kids. And the teacher would be spoken to and handled privately just her and I. That treatment would not continue

5 Likes

Why is a seven year old in summer school?? If he needs one on one get him a tutor or if you’re a stay at home mom, work with him.

9 Likes

Standard practise for a child that disrupts the class all the time.
This was me when I was younger, I was moved almost everyday. #noragrets :rofl:and I didn’t feel excluded I knew what I was doing but I’m impulsive and couldn’t help it so it wasn’t going to stop :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

My daughter (adhd) has an actual study desk🤣 full on old school high sides and all. She’s all 5ft tall so she’s just off to the side of class. She actually loves her “box” that’s what she calls it lol. Shes easily distracted and loves having her own space lol But her teacher is amazing. It sounds like your teacher might not be a good fit for your son.

4 Likes

This is the perfect example of help my kid learn and be a better student without actually wanting it to look like your kid is getting help. Unfortunately your child has learning disabilities and in order to provide him and other students with the same education your child needs to be in a position of accessibility. She’s doing her best and the shoulder shrug is a sign of feeling unappreciated and possibly feeling she has no other option

16 Likes

Get an IEP or 504 plan put in place. My daughter didn’t qualify this year for the IEP but has the 504 and it has helped alot. My daughter is at the summer camp at school this year and if she said anything like this I would address it, and if she said I don’t want to go back we wouldn’t.

5 Likes

Get a different teacher ,trust me. She is prejudice against your son. The kids will see that and mimic her behavior.

8 Likes

If he needs extra attention, he can sit at the table closest to the teacher. There’s no need to have him sitting alone. Address this on an email to the teacher. If things don’t get better, talk to the principal. Don’t be afraid to advocate for your child.

12 Likes

So you want his teacher to prioritise him but also not let him know he is getting special treatment? I’m amazed we still have people willing to be teacher’s

13 Likes

First step is to talk with your son, be sure he feels the same way you do without influencing his answers.
If he does then it’s time to step up momma and be his voice. You do this by emailing the teacher, principle, counselor, and his IEP case manager.
If there isn’t change after that you go to the school board, superintendent and the SPED director.
There are very specific laws in place to protect children with special needs. Ensure they’re being followed to the letter

9 Likes

I’m momma bear. A teachers job is to teach. I have an a hole, I don’t need 2 and I certainly don’t expect tax dollars to pay for one. I go straight to her Boss. If that doesn’t work administration. Wish you and your little well and good luck.

5 Likes

Don’t listen to that about taking him home right now go to school talk to the principal asked to have a three-way meeting with the teacher and then have a meeting with the teacher the principal you and your child and see if your son is telling you the total truth because seven-year-old tend to lie lot give the teacher a chance and give your son a chance to tell the truth you only saw what happened one day have a meeting and calm your nerves down

2 Likes

There’s two kids in my sons class last year that had their own desks and they needed it. I volunteered many times and if they were sitting with the rest of the kids the class wouldn’t function. Their behavior affects the rest of the kids and if they were sat next to my son I would of complained. They were aggressive and disruptive and it benefited them just as much as it does the other kids.

10 Likes

You done talked with her now go above her to the principal and explain it.

6 Likes

Absolutely unacceptable.

Some teachers may have a degree but are inept or have their own anger/attitude or emotional issues that may harm their students.

This could affect your son’s self-esteem…and I really wonder how he’s being talked to and treated?:pensive:

You may want to send a hidden secret recording device with his backpack or supplies.

Get one that only records when someone is speaking!

I used them in college to record lectures. They have a pretty small ones.

You can get them at Walmart, Meijers,target etc.

I wouldn’t hesitate to do this.

Best wishes for you and your little one!

Update us if you can! :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

take him to other school you are going to sit sad child on end going to trouble child off that teacher is bully

1 Like

I would get him a new teacher

2 Likes

The teacher seems like she could care less so maybe make an appointment with the principle & see if that helps

2 Likes

You should talk to the teacher why she is doing that I hope your son doesn’t feel left out

My son is severe adhd and he has to go into smaller classes w only a few kids to get the help he desperately needs. I don’t think the teacher is trying to be rude or belittle him she’s trying to do her job and make sure he learns and isn’t distracted and it’s probably not his permanent seat. I would honestly let it go especially if it helps him learn better, my son is 12 and has never felt any different then other kids his mind just doesn’t process as quickly as most and tbh the teachers have helped him grow & learn tremendously!

You’ve done the proper steps, now you need to voice your concerns to the principal. They are this teacher’s boss. Explain that shortness with you and your concerns about your son. Ask for them to look into it further and if need be, a meeting should be held with the teacher, principal and yourself.

6 Likes

Go in the classroom, see what he does… volunteer or just go in you have a right to see what’s going on. Sometimes a student needs extra help so the teacher has that child by the teacher.

8 Likes

This would not fly with me for a second longer.
Talk to the principal. Your child is unhappy at school and it is her fault

3 Likes

My eldest son has learning disabilities and when he was in public school they not only had him sitting by himself in the classroom but literally had him sitting in the hallway at a desk in the main office by himself everyday to eat lunch. Eating lunch in the cafeteria was no issue with his kindergarten teacher but when it came to his first grade teacher it was all of a sudden an issue. One of several reasons he is now homeschooled. The public school system is a joke. Contact the school board. I literally had to contact every single member in our county through email to be heard by the principal/vp. They’re scared straight once you go over their head.

13 Likes

Go higher than her and see the principal

2 Likes

As much as you want to know our opinions… you KNOW in your gut! Do what you gotta do !:wink:

4 Likes

I have had repeated problems with my son’s school. I would ask the teacher for time that you and the teacher can discuss this with more explanation. But ask via email for a trail. And or ask her in an email for a better explanation and her reasoning. If that doesn’t work I would be in talking to out VP or Principal, if it were me. No child should be made to feel penalized and especially not without explanation.