Am I overreacting?

Follow their household rules yes, but if there are things you want to make sure they are taken care of, I would pack them away in a closet in your room. Yes it’s your in laws house but they don’t control how your child is raised and what other children play with, but it honestly sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, what does your husband say?

2 Likes

Sounds like to me you need to find a different place to live because it’s not going to work out it’s already starting to be an issue it’s only going to get worse.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t stay there unless you really have to cause things won’t go well.

6 Likes

Get your own place…problem solved

6 Likes

Always teach your kids to share ! Imagine if it was the other way around, I really think you should find your own place to live because I think it’s just problems waiting to happen

6 Likes

This is ridiculous, does she share everything? If she has an expensive piece of jewelry will she allow you to use it when you want and how you want? What if you want to use her expensive necklace to snake a drain? Is that okay? No.
We are all entitled to have items that we do not want others to touch or use. As long as there are other toys the other kids can also play with, I don’t see the big deal.

10 Likes

Then move into your own damn house and give your child their own room.

I get the whole, their house, their rules. But they should also respect that their grandson has some valuable things, and the parent doesn’t want them to be messed with. But the child also does have other toys that are play toys for everyone to play with. I think that should be respected. Just like the grandparents probably don’t want the kids playing with their valuables, but in sure they’ve got community stuff they can play with. Doesn’t matter whose house it is. If the kid has valuable items, their parents doesn’t want to be touched, than that should be respected. Common sense.

3 Likes

If you started off with all these demand while I tried to help you you would just have to stay elsewhere

5 Likes

I can’t believe I’m seeing so many ppl say “it’s your in laws house” “follow their rules”

That’s ridiculous!!

If I had to move into my inlaws home, I’d put up the things I’ve paid alot of money for also, & I’d save it for my child. Pack it up, throw it in a closet, get a storage unit, ect. But don’t listen to your in laws. Or just don’t take things you don’t want missing/destroyed.

9 Likes

Don’t even move in. You have a right to put some of his toys up and ultimately it is her house. Figure out a different plan. Seriously, this will not end well. One or both of y’all will end of resenting the other.

1 Like

Put the stuff away!!! Don’t listen to anyone!!! Do what you need to do!!!

3 Likes

No. I don’t get the “just let them play with it they are not going to hurt it” mentality. This probably stems from growing up as an only child (have two brothers they lived with there mom) if I want my child to have an nice toy not destroyed then that’s my decision

2 Likes

Well how about you tell your son to store away what he feels is special, you work hard to get your stuff straight and you don’t live there any longer than you have to, everyone wins.

2 Likes

Being a guest in someone’s house does not mean you’re expected to relinquish all your boundaries, teaching your kid to keep special things aside is teaching responsibility If anything if the other kids dont understand that they cant play or touch anything they want than they are the selfish ones

3 Likes

First off…. Living with in laws is dangerous! Adds stress and can destroy a marriage. Been there… lived with my in-law 4 years and my husband and I broke up at 20 years married. His mother was always getting in our business always instigating … always trying to have my kids do things her way. We paid most of her mortgage to live in her downstairs part of house kinda like a basement but split level… we did her laundry most of time so she didn’t have to come down… we bought the food even cooked. Her mortgage is 1200 and we paid 900 a month … she was supposed to be helping us out to get on our feet but nope we helped her out and ended up breaking up in long run. Be very careful living with family especially in-laws soooo not worth it. Like someone said above… put his expensive stuff in your room in a box under your bed or in your closer and do your best to get out of there ASAP!

2 Likes

Follow her rules or find your own place

2 Likes

It already sounds like she’s trying to make an issue of the toys. She knows your kid has expensive toys and if she doesn’t see them out for the rest of the kids to play with you know she’s going to start something about that. I wouldn’t even try. Just find somewhere else to stay or you and your kid share a room. Boom problem solved. Nobody allowed in yours or your sons room

1 Like

Mother’s in law🙄. As long as you put the stuff that you don’t want touched away before the other kids get there and your child shares the other toys then I don’t see a problem. It’s ok to set boundaries. It wouldn’t be ok to tell the other kids that they can’t touch any of your child’s things. Sounds like your MIL isn’t crazy about you though. Are you sure you want to stay there? Living together will just make things more tense

10 Likes

Nope. Some kids are just plain destructive !! & I agree with you.

3 Likes

I agree with you. Not everything is meant for everyone, if you bought special toys for your son and you don’t want other kids touching them then you are allowed to put them up and away. You have other toys that can be shared and you don’t have to worry about them being destroyed. I would do the same thing. He’s your kid and you make the rules for his life and if you want to teach him how to take care of his more valuable items then you are doing the right thing. Who cares what anyone else thinks, we all have things we don’t want to share and there’s nothing wrong with that

2 Likes

Ohhhh btw my MIL tried that crap too with my sons PS4… he was 10 at time and loved plying his games and his 3-4 year olds cousins would throw fits wanting to play and that system is expensive… even more back then. His mom would say let them play you gotta share… it caused arguments… we finally had to put it away anytime the little ones were visiting. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

dont evenn bring out what u put up until u get ur own place again. put it away in storage or in ur room in ur closet. outta site outta mind…and get the heck oitta there asap. living with inlaws is toxic evem if u get along

Looking through both lenses…it just doesn’t seem to be a good idea for either of you. If I were her, I’d want the same. No added responsibility of watching what they play with and be responsible for it. She wants a free play environment, which is her right. You don’t, which is your right. Ultimately it’s her house. This isn’t a good fit.

4 Likes

No you are not wrong. Put the stuff up! It WILL get broke. & if she can’t understand then, oh well. If she doesn’t want her child sharing expensive toys, electronics, dolls, then so be it. They cost a lot and some people can’t just buy their kid everything they want, all year long. Your kid, your money, your rules! & they theirs of course. And save as much as possible and get your own place. Stay positive! It will happen. :heart:

1 Like

no no no your not wrong at all. I let my uncle and his 2 kids move in for a bit and his kids destroyed all my son’s stuff. my son has autism so was more then willing to share and he did and then he cried because they broke all his toys. some things are okay not to share just keep them up when other kids are around so it’s fair.

I don’t think that’s unreasonable at all!

1 Like

So, they are willing to share their entire home with you and yours so you can catch up financially, and you don’t even want to share toys with their other grandkids, your child cousins? Is that what’s going on here?

8 Likes

I was always able to have things I didn’t have to share and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I just wasn’t aloud to play with it while friends were over. I do the same with my kids (18)&(8) they are honestly such good kids and respectful to their things and others

3 Likes

Your not wrong at all

Living with family members is rarely a good idea. Do whatever you need to to have your own place.

2 Likes

Hell no youre not in the wrong. If you want certain things to stay just your childs then keep it like that. Other kids dont value other kids possessions.

1 Like

Been there, done that. It gets ugly I know.

You keep mentioning pricey toys. Electronics? What kind of toys are you worried about? Why don’t you ask your child what they are comfortable sharing and not? Sounds like you shouldn’t even move in if you’re arguing over toys that you don’t play with lol

Let her buy some for them.

1 Like

Don’t move it. There is already a power struggle about things and privacy. Figure out how you can pay your bills and don’t rely on others to help. You can do this.

2 Likes

Do not live with your mother-in-law

5 Likes

I think you missed the point by adding extra drama to a simple situation.

MIL doesn’t want your drama dividing her grandchildren. That’s a good way to bite the helping hand.

Yes sure by your kids nice things, but don’t put the carriage before the horse.

Isn’t your in-laws helping you through hard times?? I would pack up your ego along with anything else that is more valuable to you.

11 Likes

Grandmas house grandmas rules…. You’re not there to be comfortable you’re there to catch up. I put stuff away when other kids come over that I don’t want broken… that normal but again I wouldn’t be getting comfortable in someone else’s home.

4 Likes

Don’t buy $$ toys when you can’t afford a home. It’s her homes they want to share with you while you catch on to be able to afford to move out. So yes she is right. ALL the kids can play with what in HER house. If you don’t want them to touch it put it in storage till you have your own place to play with it.

6 Likes

Shew. You should be lucky they are letting you be there. You have a point but it’s her house so she definitely has a point as well.

4 Likes

It kind of sounds like their have been issues before with how you have treated the other kids and your MIL is trying to mitigate that situation before it’s a situation

4 Likes

Good luck to your mil cause u sound fun :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

First off, instead of staying there and being able to buy expensive things for your child, scrimp a little on what you purchase for him. Yes you do have the right to remove special items from everyone’s play. But is it valuable and cherished by him? Or you? “Buy a child an expensive gift, and they just want to play with/in the box!” Your child will survive with less (and with things he will learn to share) I’m not so sure your family and marriage will survive these circumstances! And use that bit of extra $$ you save to live on your own! Save your family, marriage, sanity and don’t worry! Your child will learn to appreciate items more, even the small things. And will learn to share if you teach him!
Be sure to be gracious! Thank your MIL for her hospitality and MOVE! MOVE! MOVE!

5 Likes

Could the pricey toys have anything to do with needing to catch up by chance? I can understand putting certain things up that aren’t age appropriate, fragile or come with many small pieces. However, kids are only so young for so long… If the kids are your children’s cousins, why not let them share and make memories?

9 Likes

Pricey toys but can’t afford a place to live? Maybe she’s trying to get you to check your priorities. I swear I think this page is actually a troll page

14 Likes

My boys did the same thing
They put up stuff they didnt want anyone touching .
Bump her

I’m a lot like you…I just don’t see tearing up toys for no reason…money doesn’t come easy!!!

1 Like

I would Def not want to have another adult who is not my child parent living with And parenting my child. You’re b just asking for disagreements.

1 Like

i would not move in.
nope!
those are his toys, and youre ALLOWED to keep HIS toys from others.
she needs a reality check for sure.

1 Like

I don’t understand if the issue is the toys. Or if MIL is saying your child cannot have thier own room in her house.

3 Likes

So you are happily married with in laws,? You’ll be ok. U’re blessed

May be her house but she didn’t buy those toys. If you have toys that you don’t want broken I would just keep them packed until your able to move. Toys are not cheap and your child is allowed to have nice things. Your still allowing them to play with some of his toys so it’s not like your packing every toy up that he owns and not allowing them to play with anything. Someone moves into my house I wouldn’t let my kids mess with there stuff. I also don’t share all my stuff I don’t expect my kids or someone else kids to share everything they own either. Don’t matter where you live people need to have respect for others belongings

I do same thing. Certain things my kids don’t want others to play with I tell then to put the items in there closet. There are plenty of other toys to play with. Children also gave a right to have items that are just theirs.

2 Likes

Just teach the children to share, the grandmother is right!!

4 Likes

Don’t do it. Don’t move in. I PROMISE you nothing good will come of it. I lived with my in laws for awhile. No. Just no.

3 Likes

It sounds like it’s best to just stay living where you are.

4 Likes

It’s definitely not selfish for you to not want your kids things destroyed.

I’m the same way. Things I don’t want broken or touched, aren’t allowed to be out when certain kids are here or at my moms, certain things aren’t allowed to be brought with.

Everyone is different and that is ok! Lol it’s all about respecting each other, and to me it sounds like she might not care for the way you are raising your child. I put away toys I don’t want destroyed by someone else’s kids, or toys my kid doesn’t like sharing lol unless its a sibling then my kid doesn’t “have” to share lol but she can’t tease either. We don’t push our child to share but not everyone

3 Likes

Nope! Put them up. When certain friends of my son come over, you’re dang right I put some stuff away. Some kids are destructobots, and a lot of toys and things (ie: guitar) are expensive or easily breakable. I- we - dont feel the need to have these things laying around to get broken- especially when our children play with and care for these things. :woman_shrugging: not even sorry.

2 Likes

She is sharing her house so maybe you negotiate what is shared and what is not. I’m not sure what toys you mean , the kids age etc all play a part of this. Most kids enjoy playing with their toys with others if age appropriate

3 Likes

It doesn’t sound like she is just letting you move in, but rather control everything.If you do, I suggest some ground rules. Written and agreed upon possibly. I don’t know the whole situation. Prayers for you and your family :heart::pray:t2::muscle:t2:

3 Likes

It is their place and also their other grandkids so yes that is unreasonable to even act that way. I understand that they don’t want the others to feel bad and they want them to have the space also but I also understand where you are coming from but like I said it is their place and they are being generous letting you stay there so yes you are trying to take over their home if you want these things for your child then you will have to move and do that

2 Likes

I don’t think you’re crazy, but you should pray about it, if you do. Meditate.
That will give you some clarity.

1 Like

I do the same with my Littles! If I don’t want it broken then I put it up!

3 Likes

Living with people is never a good idea I know sometimes it has to be done but if there’s other options do it

6 Likes

So you are having financial difficulties but you buy your kid expensive toys? And you don’t want your child to share? Don’t move in and stop wasting money.

16 Likes

I don’t agree with forcing kids to share.

7 Likes

It’s her house. Are you paying for any of the bills while you stay there or contributing to anything while there. Then get over it if not. Or don’t buy expensive toys right now.

3 Likes

Can I ask how old your child is?
Also, you’re requesting your child have their own room while not being able to provide that yourself. So your MIL is pretty much saying that the other room you’re asking for is for all the grandchildren. To me it seems a compromise needs to be made. If you don’t want those things touched…rent storage.

10 Likes

Well if she doesn’t want your child to have their own room you have to listen because it is her house. Sorry.

5 Likes

Stick to ur guns… or say OK… if any of them get broken then they are replaced like for like… simple.

1 Like

When my child had a cousin or friend come over, he was allowed to put away a favorite toy or two he didn’t want to share. That’s fine. The toys that were out and not a favorite were shared. I don’t really understand why toys would be “too much money” or why kids would be breaking all the toys? Just put away a couple favorites and monitor them while they play?

5 Likes

You’re not wrong and with that being said, stay in your own place. You gotta pay the cost to be the boss. To avoid the headache just get your own apartment.

20 Likes

Get your own living situation, and stop trying to dictate someone else’s home.

11 Likes

Seems like you are wanting to tske control of their home. You should just be grateful they are willing to help you out. I mean honestly how can you have the nerve to say you want your child to have their own room when you can’t even provide that for your child yourself. You seem very spoiled and unappreciative. You want to make the rules then get your own place.

12 Likes

their house their rules.
u can’t coem into their home, take 2 bedrooms ,and tell the other grandkids they cant come over and play with anything in the house that dont belong to them, etc.
you sound like you’d be taking over the house, and giving other people rules in their own home.
your not the A-hole, but you are in the wrong.

8 Likes

Am I reading this wrong ? Your mil is offering to let you stay in her home and you want your own rooms and don’t want your sons EXPENSIVE toys getting ruined when his cousins come to visit? I can understand putting away some expensive toys but… what I don’t understand is that you want your own rooms in someone else’s home? Are you entitled ? How about spending less on toys and putting that money where it will last a lifetime , in your own home!

19 Likes

She is worried about toys and is so broke they can’t afford her own place. Sounds about right. Bums.

15 Likes

There goes the control of living with someone else.

It’s important to teach your kids to share. If there are things you don’t want shared, put them out of sight.

1 Like

You are too much to be a long term guest in anyone’s home. You’re teaching your child it’s ok to be selfish. IMHO

4 Likes

Pay your own bills don’t move in!

1 Like

Just don’t move there.

1 Like

Was the second room offered to you or did you just take it over yourself. It seems like youre trying to control your MIL home. I get where she is coming from where she wants all the kids to play together. If youre that worried about his boughie toys, then rent a storage or keep them boxed up and put in until you move out. Dont know why toys have to be babied. Kids like to play with each other, teach them to share and play nice.
Kinda rude to think youre running their house when they are doing you a favor. She doesnt seem unreasonable at all. Its her house

No, you are not crazy I just wouldn’t move in. Yes, put some of you’re child things up so they won’t destroyed or messed up I don’t see nothing wrong with that.

1 Like

I believe it’s this is going to be a short-term stay that it would be wise of you to just keep those valuable in pricey things put away in storage or in a tote in a closet in your room

5 Likes

Beggers shouldnt be choosers. Not your house, not your rules. Stop being dramatic about toys.

8 Likes

This is too funny
Toys are toys, if you don’t want any kid/kids playing with them then don’t buy them !!! Your child is old enough to learn to share, if he doesn’t learn this because you only want him playing with his toys, God help you later on. Expect the teachers calling you a lot about his lack of sharing in school !!! Get over it & allow everyone to play with the toys ,!!! That is what they are for !!

2 Likes

This is why living with others when you have your own family just doesn’t work. You gotta figure out how to live in your own home. I don’t believe you’re teaching your child to be selfish at all. But when you live in someone else’s home, even if you buy 100% of your things it’s still not YOUR home. Anything you feel is valuable needs to be stored until you get your own living situation.

6 Likes

Same position. Yes you are correct. No they won’t be spoiled, they will appreciate it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yeah you haven’t even moved in and it’s already bad…:triangular_flag_on_post::triangular_flag_on_post::triangular_flag_on_post:

5 Likes

It’s starting already, not a good idea to move there, have your own home…

3 Likes

Sounds to me like if you didn’t buy so many “expensive” toys, you might be able to pay your own bills.

22 Likes

Nope I’m the same way. I spend a good chunk of money on stuff like puzzles and personalized books for my kids. They all stay put up in the top of my daughters closet and are only brought down if they’re being used because I don’t want puzzle pieces lost or books torn. I would put all of that expensive stuff in a storage tote, or if you have a storage unit put them in there until you have your own place.

2 Likes

You buy all those things! Are you serious? She is paying for that whole house you are going to live in for free​:joy::joy:

8 Likes

That was her rule. If you can’t agree then he shares a room with you. It’s not your house and if she has other grandkids she wants them to be comfortable in her house To I don’t disagree with her. She owns the home

11 Likes

Did Anyone else get dizzy reading this?

10 Likes

Put the stuff you don’t want touched in your closet end of problem let him play with those items only in your room

1 Like

Don’t do it!!! You are making a mistake moving in there and there is a hugh risk of ruining your relationship forever. Her house, her rules and you’re not going to like them…. Run :running_woman:t2:

10 Likes