Am I wrong for not letting my boyfriends side of the family see our baby?

I’m not trying to defend what your bf’s mom said bc it could be taken a lot of different ways - I’m assuming here you are dark skinned and they have accepted you and their son being together and having this wonderful gift given from God - I think what she meant by this is she is hoping that others won’t assume that her son isn’t the father if by chance your daughter takes on a darker complexion from your genes which sometimes happens. I have had many biracial children in my life and those beautiful babies changed my families outlook on being racial all the way around - a baby is just that a baby no matter the skin color they are given to us from God to love with our hearts and souls not our eyes alone. Be the bigger person here and allow your child to know the lighter side of her family but teach her that she is beautiful regardless of the skin color and if they choose to start the snide remarks by all means keep her away.

2 Likes

It’s a baby Doesn’t matter what race it shows the most. Tell them just hold her and love her.then they will see a baby feels just like a baby.soft and cuddly.

This is super sad :frowning: my cousin had two children and my great uncle (her Grandpa) has nothing to do with them because they’re half black. It literally disgusts me…:sob:

1 Like

Sounds like her love isn’t uncondotional… His under reaction to his mother sounding ignorant as fuck bothers me. You’re not wrong. Member subject your little one to any of that negative shit. I had a conversation with my grandmother and she was complaining about my father and how he is with a black woman now, etc. I didn’t care for the chick, but her being black didn’t have anything to do with why I didn’t like her. I ended up saying, “Gram, it is makes him happy, that’s what matters.”-- She’s old and ignorant, I’m not changing an 80 something year old’s views on race at this point… But then she proceeded to tell me she remembers a time when “they had their place in society, and we had our… And these dirty hippies came and mucked it all up…”-- I paused. My mother is 100% hispanic. I said, “Well, Gram, I’m glad interracial relationships are a thing because I wouldn’t have been born,” with a chuckle. She then looks at me and says, “oh don’t worry about it, you can’t even tell, you look white.”-- :face_with_monocle: excuse me? Did my fucking ears just hear this woman correctly? It’s okay that I’m mixed because you “can’t tell”??? Let me tell you, looking white still didn’t get me any kind of functional or positive relationship with her… So, do what you feel is right.

As a biracial child who had to endure racism just because my mother wanted me to have a relationship with both sides of my family. Don’t put your child through that. Put your child around people that will love her and not constantly make comments about her skin tone.

12 Likes

When you’re tired of white people but you are a white people

All these white folks saying “give them a chance”…gross. If you’re white, you don’t get to comment unless it’s in support of this mama.

12 Likes

I’m in an interracial relationship…
And you best believe ANY family member that is a racist is getting cut off… mine or his
Another thing… addressing their ass works wonders :+1:t2:
I’d address her and make my decision based on her response…
My step mother made a comment once and I addressed her right then… it never happened again and that was about 10 years ago…and she’s been great in my children’s lives…that’s possible with you as well IF you feel comfortable with that… it is good to have a variety of people in your child’s life, keep that in mind.

You should be upset. That’s your baby they are talking about. If they are not censored now. Will they be when baby is born

Maybe your baby will be the reason you’re bf’s family softens their racist views. I would at least give them a chance. How they react to your child will tell you what kind of people they really are.

5 Likes

Sad that they’d even begin to say that but give it a chance first. If it comes to be toxic and negative don’t allow them to see her. They may be saying this now but when they meet her it might change their perspective.

That’s high key rascist and you and that child deserve a MASSIVE apology

7 Likes

I’m so confused?!
Is your boyfriend the father of your baby?Or did you 2 get together when you was already pregnant with another man’s baby!

I’d cut them off from just that comment. That is blatant racism. Like the level of effed up they are now I would never want them to have influence on that child and make her think her skin color is “wrong”. No no no.

1 Like

Give them a chance. My daughter is 2 and biracial and my family at first made comments that upset me and didn’t realize how much race played a factor and they now love my daughter and don’t make comments anymorw

1 Like

It is said a child shall lead. What better way to for them to learn acceptance than to love a beautiful baby.

2 Likes

Is it your boyfriend’s baby? If they’re racist - are they like this to you? (If that’s your race.) I wouldn’t let anyone around my children related or not - if they’re not supportive! If they have already commented on her skin color (and she’s not born!) then I wouldn’t ever let them see her, personally!! Your child doesn’t need to get treated that way

I personally would not have liked that statement either. I would voice my concerns and if it continues cut them off then. There has to be a line of boundaries and respect. That’s just rude and regardless how dark or light your baby comes out shouldn’t define how much they would care for their grandchild. I do agree that they will probably just fall in love with your baby regardless but I’ve had a similar experience and it was very hurtful. I had to protect my children from the obvious favoritism.

1 Like

I would try to talk with her before the baby is born and explain how her ignorant comment was hurtful to you and how comments like it will be hurtful to your baby in the future… and then see how it goes after that before you cut his family out

I’m sure she didn’t mean anything by it. She should have never said that…but some people do not realize that what they say can be hurtful and mean. They’re ignorant to themselves. Your bf should sit mom down and have a one on one. And I’m sure when he does, she’s gonna wanna hang her head. Allow her a chance to see what’s wrong and change it, before ultimately ruining things for everyone, including the baby. The baby will need, want, and love all of you.

1 Like

Ok some people did mention that they hope it’ll make them change their racist ways, I can only hope so, but I’d still be super wary.

Ummm the father’s family have a right to see the child too. Just as much as your family.
Give them a go!

3 Likes

I wouldn’t punishing the child keeping a child from family it damages the child in so many ways his family should have just as much right as yours to be apart of the baby life’s… If they family doesn’t wanna be apart of your child’s life than that’s a different sorry but sweetie don’t be bitter at least allow your child to be apart of both sides of the family :heart:

Babies should NEVER BE USED AS A PAWN FOR PUNISHMENT. Only exception being keeping your kids away from a dangerous situation where their life or safety is at risk. You’re doing nothing but being petty and in reality feeding into the racism in doing this. Only way to stop racism is to educate and help people see the ignorance in their thought orocess

2 Likes

I don’t know what advice to give but I would think the minute she sees that baby every single racist thing in her will melt away- it’s her guilt to deal with after that for her past comments— if not then by all means protect your child from negativity

Your baby may very well be God’s gift to change their hearts. :heart:

1 Like

I am assuming the boyfriend isnt the babies dad? You need to get away from the whole dman bunch of it.

Sorry but racist don’t ever change their stripes, they just get quiet.

1 Like

I dont believe keeping your child from people who clearly view them differently because of their skin tone is punishing your child.
If it’s not love cut it off.
My child is biracial and I wouldnt be tolerating no kind of comments on her hair or skin from either side. She should be embraced from day one and your responsible to make sure she feels that way by who you let her be around. No more excuses for white privilege… there is no chance white people have been educated on racism for far too long to be using that as an excuse

I’d say something and expect an apology but after the baby is born they will hopefully change and not make comments like that anymore. Give them a chance to be in the baby’s life but if anything else happens I’d cut them off.

That’s really sad that that’s what they would be worried about. All they should be concerned with is that you have a healthy baby. I would not want those people around my child either. That’s not love.

1 Like

As a bi-racial WHITE passing person. My mothers side was cut because of this. We had few interaction and mind you we are all white passing, they’d still make comments. Think of what’s going in the world today. Racism isn’t quiet. And think
Also of the past. I don’t blame you. We surely didn’t miss them growing up and had we grown up with them WHO knows how we would’ve turned out. Being biracial is more than skin color.

1 Like

My little biracial child. I was worried about bringing her around my stepfather due to being extremely racist. She will be 3 in September and he has not said 1 racist thing around her he loves her as if she was not biracial and I also have other kids that are fully white and he treats them all the same

2 Likes

I wouldn’t let them have the privilege of meeting her let alone knowing when I go into labor… That is not okay AT ALL!!! They don’t deserve to know your sweet girl💜 Unless like others were saying, that she apologizes and it’s a true heart felt apology, not just an apology so she can see what she looks like.

Racism is a pretty toxic thing to allow a child to be exposed to. What happens when that child inevitably hears something like that from one of these people who is supposed to love her unconditionally? Is she supposed to have to feel of inferior for the rest of her life because “yOu sHouLDnT keEP thE bAbY aWaY” ??? No. “I’m sure she didn’t mean anything by it” “you’re being petty” and “you’re encouraging their racism” is bullshit. This is not mom keeping baby from dad because of a silly fight. Racism is a legitimate toxic factor and mom has every right to not want baby around extended family if they’re going to treat her and her baby like they’re less than.

All 5 of my kids are multi-ethnic, my mother has never said a word about it except that once they grew up they may have a hard time with racism from both black&white peers, community and family. We’ve worked through it and also given ppl the chance(the rope) to show their true selves. Needless to say, our extended family (the white side, my side,) is extremely small now with who interacts with them and has most of their lives thus far. I wasn’t allowing anyone to treat (even on the low) my kids badly. I have a grand daughter who is very dark skinned whose family is prejudiced against my family because she doesn’t look White in the least. I could careless if each of my children and grand children with Blue w/ yellow polka dots I love each of them completely!!! Give one chance and then move accordingly girlfriend because your child will receive prejudice always but you should never allow his/her own family to be around if that’s the case, idc if it’s a grandmother, aunt/uncle, cousin NOT ACCEPTABLE!

Cut them off dont even let her at the hospital and if your bf dont like it lose him too my kids come before everything even their dads feelings lol

5 Likes

It’s tough when it comes to racism, for some people it is ingrained in their being…I just hope that being with their granddaughter they begin to change their thoughts and ways…which can be a slow process. I would allow them access and an opportunity to change…however if they become toxic to your child then it will be time to have the conversation about their access

2 Likes

Give her one more chance for your daughter even though she doesn’t deserve one. Explain to her that you will be giving her another chance, if she comments anything else, that’s the day to say goodbye! Her choice.

I would let them see her. They will get over their ignorance if not then you will know

Perhaps the love they’ll feel for their grandchild will change their perspective. Give them a chance, and if they fuck it up, it’s their loss.

You say the baby is biracial. Are you a person or color? Or is the baby’s father another man who is a person of color? I assume your bf’s family is white if theyre concerned about the darkness of the baby’s skin. Assuming your bf is the dad that must mean you are non - white. How do they behave toward you? Do they make racist comments? Or do they accept you? If they already don’t accept you because of you’re race then I would not expect them to accept your baby.

You can have who YOURE comfortable with in the birthing room. Nurses will literally make everyone leave if you need them to.

1 Like

I think it’s wrong of you not to allow them to see the baby. It is their grandbaby too

3 Likes

It’s not okay. But you also have the option to calmly sit down and all talk about the comments being inappropriate. I don’t think that’s racist I think someone is too dark. I have friends of all and we all make fun of how pasty white I am lol 

1 Like

Sweetie you have every right to say no that’s your baby you are giving birth to that beautiful child yes your boyfriend is the father but he should be understanding and lovable towards you . My son is allowed to visit his dads side but I have RULEs the must follow .

1 Like

Well if they dont live the child the way they love their other ‘white’ grandkids then definitely not… no child should be made to feel differently treated ESPECIALLY because of their skin colour!

2 Likes

Sadly, this happens even when the child isn’t bi-racial. I’m learning mother in Laws just don’t know what to say out of their mouths. Smh I wouldn’t leave my little one around her alone that’s for sure

Mixed kids are beautiful. Once baby is here, they will look like goofs! Enjoy every moment. Congrats!

1 Like

I would maybe wait until you have a routine down, maybe send them one picture of her through text message and if they are rude about it i would cut ties. If they decide they want to meet her then do one meet and see if they are good about it. If not cut ties. Your daughter doesnt deserve that negativity.

I would just be more open. In the moment let her know that comment isn’t right. People aren’t likely to continue to speak out if you make them look judgmental and rude. Or reply with isn’t health more important? (Your man should be coming to your rescue and speaking up for you also) like this is 2020 by god lol I wouldn’t hold your baby away from his family. I would only pull her away if any low key racism was happening with her around. You have to give them a chance for child’s sake. If they do cut the bull then Great! More people to love your little one.

I grew up with a bi-racial family, and of course still to this day have one. There were a couple who were low key racist, but after being around the kids couldn’t help but to fall in love with them. I’m not saying cut them off, I’m not saying let them stay around, I’m just saying first and foremost do what is best for YOUR CHILD, and secondly I would let them around tentatively and see how it goes. If their feelings or racism comes out, CUT THEM OUT. I predominantly didn’t know about the racism issues that were being said before the kids were born until I was MUCH older, people can change their views. To me growing up with a biracial family was normal🤷‍♀️ I love every second of it.

My dad was racist. Then when i had my Hispanic kids, now he loves them to death & thinks they’re the cutest kids in this world and They look latino. My sister has her full white, blonde hair & blue eyed kids, and they’re beautiful to and my dad treats and loves them ALL the same. He even loves my husband, who ive been with for 10 years, who can’t speak English…he learned some Spanish and my husband some English, to talk to each other. People can change, just keep an ear out.

3 Likes

Its your choice. My husband was given the choice of who comes in & out, he had to give the ok…So you don’t HAVE to let them in…

My thoughts… It’s wrong if as you say theyre low key racist meaning they should be able to be respectful and mature cuz weather they like it or not that’s their grandchild. It’s not wrong if they’re going to be disrespectful and unloving if they can’t accept their grandchild, then they don’t respect their son and they for sure don’t deserve to see the baby…

I would give them another chance. Maybe she didn’t realize her comment could be taken as racist. However before baby is born make sure she knows that she needs to be more careful about what she says around you and your kids. It would be unfortunate for your kids to miss out on having their grandparents around because of a misunderstanding that could be corrected prior to the baby even getting here.

3 Likes

You know my ex husbands baby mamas parents are racist her second and third child is half black. After they got to be around the children they have loved them whole heartedly. Yes what they said was super racist. But ignorance could be a result of their up bringing and lack of culture. Try and educate them. Tell them that is offensive! Speak to them. Education is key.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t bring my baby around anybody who said Shi about their skin tone. I don’t care who TF it is.
Don’t talk about my baby.
If you think my kids skin could be to dark then how the hell do you really feel about me??
The dad needs to say something. If not he’s apart of the problem as well.

5 Likes

Give them a chance honey Most people that I know that have had biracial children had family that came around once they saw that beautiful baby! It’s kind of white when people are dead set against having kids and them once they see that baby they completely fall in love

2 Likes

A lot of times babies bring out the best in people

Stop stressing and let it go for now. If they actually say something infront of you then go all out and put them in their place

If that attitude continues you are absolutely within your right to keep them from being part of your child’s life. Grandbabies have way of changing hearts. Maybe they’ll fall in love and realize how foolish they have been.

I mean you let your vagina still see this guy with a racist family… but not the baby that resulted from it… yeah you’re wrong.

The answer is always yes to being wrong from withholding a child from family unless they are in danger of physical, sexual, or mental abuse.

It can’t possibly every single person in that family

That’s really bad. I wouldn’t have them anywhere near my child

1 Like

My brother was also raciest and my baby was mixed, I worried so much, lets just say she is 15 now and she is his world! I worried over nothing

Id give them a chance when she is born but if they start their racism then stop contact

It is racist my sister refers to my daughter as my brown baby bc my son is Caucasian and my daughter is biracial … but her own father made the comment that she was to dark at birth as well and his biracial too :woman_shrugging:t2: iono. If they are disrespectful and that’s your boyfriends daughter as well as yours he needs to say something so it’s not awkward for you or your baby or uncomfortable

I wouldn’t let them be at the birth, but maybe try a video call to gauge their reaction when she’s born🤷🏼‍♀️ Even then though, I’d be extremely cautious with ever letting them have unsupervised time with her lest they low key teach her their ways. It seems your boyfriend may not be racist, but also can’t comprehend racism having never lived it first hand so the “small stuff” may seem like nothing to him, especially since they raised him and he’s most likely accustomed to their antics.

That momma bear will
Come out at the wrong time so I would have the conversation to have with his parents before the time comes and if they can’t be respectful they won’t be around. It’s your baby do what’s best for the both of you

1 Like

Not at the birth no give your self a couple day’s Aftwr to adjust and maybe send pic
And video chat first to see how they engage if they say smart remarks you have your answer

I would have asked how she meant by to dark or ask to have said it in a different a different manner idk if it was intentionally cause alot people say the wrong thing

Unfortunately some people are ignorant, with that being said no, dont withhold the baby. They’re going to forget skin color is a thing once they get ahold of that baby. People fear the unknown. I’m guessing you’re the only person in the family that’s not white?

2 Likes

That’s a red flag already trust your gut

Eeeek. Those feelings will get worse after she gets here, you will feel an overwhelming duty to protect her from everything…good luck to you :heart: MIL’s suck sometimes

I hope and pray that his family gets over their hate and ignorance and loves that baby with all of their hearts.

I guess if I was in your situation I would let them meet the baby one time and see how it goes. I wouldn’t have the meeting at the hospital, I would wait until you and the baby are home and adjusted, maybe a week later. I think it’s important to wait that week and do it at your home so that 1) you are on your way to healing and emotionally stronger 2) on your own turf. Pay attention to what they do and say and then decide if they can be a part of the baby’s life.

1 Like

Baby aint here yet so dont predict any behaviour that hasnt even happend yet…

2 Likes

They’re already making snarky remarks and the baby isn’t even born yet. Smfh don’t let them around her if you feel that’s what you need to do. I absolutely hate people🙄 grandparent or not they have no right to make any rude comments about the child.

3 Likes

His child, his family, his problem :relieved:

Why don’t you address the comment with his mom first and then decide?

2 Likes

I’m white and my boyfriend is black. And we have a baby on the way (due in March) YOU are the mama, it’s YOUR choice on who you want involved in your baby’s life. Either all that negativity will go away once they see that precious baby or they can continue being closed minded and miss out on a great opportunity to be in that baby’s life. In my opinion I would let them meet once and if it’s that much of a big deal then it just isn’t worth it to me to please his side of the family

1 Like

My Boyfriend is Black and when we ever have our child he/she will be mixed. Some of his family is low key racist and some of mine family is low key racist. Hell my Grandparents will be turning in their graves right now lol. But anyways if his family or my family said a nasty comment I’ll put them in they place. But I don’t see myself not allowing my child to see his/her family. Because at the end of the day family matters. Unless you and your family are extremely racist as far as thinking like nazis and are narcissistic psychopath like my daughters father and I keep her away from the whole lot including father because of his issues

2 Likes

Let them fall in love with that coloured bubba and it may help diminish that racism

3 Likes

Dont withold the baby. But at the same.time watch out and speak up against comments like that. If that was the only thing said its not that bad. Hell my husbands family is mexican and still think “to dark” of skin is ugly. Not that im saying its right but its not racist either.

Babies change people. Your baby is probably gonna change a lot of people from what they used to be…give it a chance :relaxed::raised_hands:

5 Likes

They will even if overtime

First off I’d be putting her in her place about saying that shit about a child not even born yet second let em meet the baby once and if you feel like they be a bunch of racist bigots cut em out🤷 bye Felicia I have done cut a bunch family out of my son’s life bc thy don’t like my husband 🤷

If it really bothers your boyfriend then HE needs to have a heart to heart convo with his family. That is not okay!!
If they want anything to do with your baby, they need to apologize and respect you.

1 Like

Racism is fucked.
I have a half Asian baby and have had to deal with “you could have found a white guy”
“At least she doesn’t look full Asian”

From my grandma!
And she tried to Nickname her “ling ling” I had to have a psycho at her

People make off handed comments and they may not have thought of it as racist or even rude. I know it’s not the same at all but my whole pregnancy I was begging to not have a ginger baby and that’s exactly what I had and I don’t love him any less. They may not think of it as being any different than wishing they were a certain gender or had a specific hair color. I would say give them a chance, especially if they have made any other comments.

One kick in the balls coming right up. I’m sure your baby will be beautiful. Dont let others comments eat at you. Especially when your getting ready for this baby
:slight_smile:

Baby isn’t even here yet. They may change how they feel once LO is. My family did. Give it time and always speak to them about comments made that are inappropriate they may no tr even realize that they are saying is wrong.

This was me. But it was my own family. I grew up with my family saying the n word and racist jokes. It was the Norm. Then I had my half black daughter. No one ever made a comment or joke again. They loved my daughter no matter her skin color.they actually eventually apologized for all the racism prior to her. (Directed at my boyfriend) I now have a set of mixed twins too. Trust me, when they see that baby, color wont matter. Dont go making all sorts of dumb rules before u even have the baby. Let go and let God do his thing!!

2 Likes

Negative don’t have them around your child will give the kid body image issues and low self esteem not worth it. They sound like the type of people that go around toothless and unaware they need deodorant so don’t think you’re missing out on much 🤷

Your boyfriend’s defending his family. But it’s wrong and you don’t have to do what you don’t want to do with your own baby.

1 Like

Your baby could be the reason they come to love biracial and darker skinned people of all other races, black, Mexican, Asian,etc. (I’m assuming they are white by that comment) I would let them see baby and just be cautious because it’s not just your baby it’s your bfs too and that’s his family which is your child’s family too and she has a right to know her whole family. I would warn then that there are to be no negative comments about people of color or there will be consequences.

3 Likes

When the baby is born it wont matter. I have 2 biracial grandchildren. I’d fight a tiger for them. :heart:

2 Likes

Itll all be different when the baby gets here. Calm your hormones mama… I’m sure it’ll work out

I’d see how they act when she’s actually here before you make that choice.

If they wanna act sideways when she’s actually here and treat her differently then don’t even let them breathe in the same room as that precious baby.

Yes you are wrong.
This baby is not just yours but your boyfriend’s baby as well.
It’s one comment, your boyfriend should have said something when it was saud and if he didn’t then you should have.

1 Like

Issues like these have always been around. Unfortunately people feel comfortable with people just like themselves. Diversity is uncomfortable for many. Especially for the uneducated and the small minded. Good luck.

If they are racists like you say they won’t care if you with hold your child there is no such thing as low key racisit you are or your not

3 Likes