Am I wrong to feel this way when my son touches me?

I understand about him hanging all over you, but your not the first Mother couldn’t get things done. As far as not like being touched, I get it but not when your child is the one touching. I don’t get, he’s 5. Your are send a negative message. Perhaps if you talk to someone it might help. Cause this is what will happen your son will grow up and not around as much and you’ll wish he would and the other thing your doing to him is he will grow up and be the same way and if that happens Hes in for a lot of problems. He already thinks you hate him. Get help

1 Like

You are touched out. Its okay and normal.

Cherish it now because before you know it he will no longer want that and you will miss it

2 Likes

My son never liked to be cuddled except when he didn’t feel good or was super tired. He is 19 now and in the Army and I wish I could cuddle him again. God forbid something happens to him you will wish for those cuddles even though you find them annoying. If your child thinks you hate him the love to annoyance ratio is backwards. You need to seek therapy before he really starts to feel unwanted.

1 Like

This stems from something that’s happened to you. Get professional help.

4 Likes

You definitely are not a bad mom, please don’t let yourself believe that. My son is like this some days and it’s due to his anxiety. He feels the need for touch, love and reassurance. Perhaps your son is experiencing the same thing.
Let him know calmly and kindly that “Mommy has things to do right now and can’t cuddle just yet. But if you give me an hour (or whatever) then I will be free for you” Try and explain that mommies need quiet time too to recharge their batteries. Sometimes being cuddled to frequently or for too long of a period of time it can feel claustrophobic for some and that’s okay mama! Take the time to kindly explain that cuddling can’t happen all the time, but you will happily do it a few times/day or when his emotions are big.

1 Like

I know what u feeling I have a 3yr and 4 yr old and they stick to me all day everyday, but there’s moments I don’t want them to touch me or my breast I just want me time which I never get , I get overwhelmed and hot and can’t breathe so I guess it’s normal to feel tired out and not wanting to be touched

This sounds like a trauma response, momma.:broken_heart: I have the same thing. I go to therapy and it helps immensely. I also literally explain to my child that I’m feeling very anxious and I need my space. She understands and has learned how to give me space and also how to let me know when she needs space. You ARE NOT a bad mommy. You need to process. Give yourself grace. And give your little one a chance to learn about boundaries and space. I hope this helps is some capacity. Sending you love. :heartbeat:

With your history, talk to a counselor. It isn’t just about you

1 Like

It’s called being touched out. I get this way all the time with two very clingy little girls. It’s time to explain personal boundaries and how some people don’t enjoy being touched all the time. That’s what I’ve had to do.

Sounds like a momma that needs a break.

1 Like

Honestly It could be something as simple as depression ask your dr about it

1 Like

Girl you are touched out! I believe this is totally normal, or I’m a bad mom too lol.

Take some time for you!!! I have 2 kids on me non stop, then my hubby wants me and I just flip my shit.

No you’re not a bad mom. Sometimes we want to be left alone and not touched and that’s ok. He 5 years old sit down and talk with him. He don’t hate you mama, his feelings are just hurt.

Look, I hate being touched by ANYONE. My kids grew up knowing, ask me first and if I say no, they settle for a hand touch or a High five.
Nows as teens, they do it to annoy me but I’ve gotten used to it over the years.
I just set boundaries and they followed suit, just because they are your kids doesn’t mean you have to be cuddly all the time. My kiddos are the sweetest kids and are so affectionate just they know my boundaries and have since they were little, they know I don’t love them less I just don’t like being touched

I get like that too, its like sensory overload. You’re not alone hun.

4 Likes

I always tell my son ladies like there space , sometimes I don’t like to be touched and I just tell him I love you Jr but I don’t want hugs right now, and I just blow him kisses instead

1 Like

No you’re not a bad mother. Getting touched out is completely normal. Just make sure you are using those moments to say hey mommy just needs some space to herself right now. And lessons about consent which are so, so important to teach our children how to handle. If I’m starting to get touched out i just tell them that I’m just needing some space for a bit and will hug or cuddle them later. If they get their feelings hurt i just remind them that they don’t want me to bother them when they don’t want that kind of attention so they need to show the same respect for me

1 Like

I think if you can see the problem, accept there is a problem with you then you have to get some professional help before you end up hurting your son. Im not a touchy person either but I understand my problem came from my upbringing with my Asian parents. They don’t get too close to me or allow me to get close to others. If you get some therapy, it would really help your son grow up trusting others and having a healthy relationship with other people. I know you care about your kid or you wouldn’t come and post this. So go an extra step to get some help so your son won’t have to

4 Likes

You aren’t crazy. You aren’t a bad mother. I use to feel the same way. Anxiety and ADD has a lot to do with my response to touch/ cuddles… just like a loud noise can cause others discomfort…same goes for touching with me. The feeling is “too loud” and hurts… I use to think I was crazy but my hypersensitive response does not make me crazy…it makes me human. And once you realize you are just human and this is how your body works…it gets easier. Kiddos and adults alike can learn your love language. Hang in there!

You’re not a bad mom. I know he’s only 5, but he needs to start learning boundaries. Just sit him down and explain it to him on his level.

2 Likes

It’s very common to have an aversion, I struggle with this with my kids as well. Prior to having kids my love language was physical touch but now often I need to take a deep breath and brace myself to be able to accept a hug. I have been so ‘touched out’ for the past decade of nursing and co-sleeping. I have also started my personal journey of processing some c-ptsd which comes with sensory overload and loads of anxiety.

1 Like

I’m the same way with my daughter sometimes. It just kinda feels like I’m claustrophobic in a way.

1 Like

Poor kid :cry:, I hope you not only get yourself some counseling but also get him some too. Him feeling unloved at 5 is so sad, if it’s something sensory with you that you can’t help then a counselor can help explain it to him while also helping him to understand his mother does still love him.

11 Likes

I get the same way with my kids and it’s mostly with my 13yr old daughter as she is very overly affectionate and I have really bad anxiety due to abuse by their father…I’ve had to teach my kids that they need to ask before they hug someone…it has made a big difference in our home.

1 Like

I am also the flip side. My mother physically and emotionally distant. I blamed myself that is what kids do

Get some help for yourself before you put it on your child

2 Likes

No, I’m the same way. I easily get sensory overload and have moments where I don’t want to be touched or to cuddle. Honestly it comes from my childhood of not having snuggles and affection. Most times I just tell my son give mommy a few minutes then we will cuddle. But I have 5 kids who constantly tug on me, rub on me and are literally touching me 24/7. I easily get overwhelmed by it all and just go to the bathroom and take a couple of minutes to breathe then I’m fine and go hug my kids and cuddle. Don’t beat yourself up momma. It’s okay just let him know you need a few minutes of space. I also explain to my kids we all need space.

3 Likes

You should seek professional help. I’ve never felt like that about my children. Maybe them asking to many questions can get Frustrating, But your child touching you is a problem? Seek professional help before you emotionally damage your child

6 Likes

Please get some help! Not normal

4 Likes

Are you on a new birth control or anything? Those can have a big effect. Plz talk to a doc so this doesn’t get worse. You know your love your son and you are not a bad mom if you handle it full force and get u the help u need for him

1 Like

There will be a time when you grave that child’s cuddles and he’s too old to cuddle his mummy. Cuddle that child. Don’t ever be angry at a child for trying to show you love

1 Like

This sounds horrible to me. I’m not saying you’re a bad mum but go and see someone

1 Like

I never done anything like that to my son . And he still doesn’t talk to me :joy: So who knows :joy:

1 Like

So you don’t hug your child then ? .

1 Like

Ummm I never do that I love when my children want to be with me and kiss me and hug me… when they grow they won’t be doing that as often anymore so I try to enjoy…

2 Likes

You can explain to him that you love him, there’s just times when you don’t want touched. At 5 they understand more than you think

6 Likes

I feel bad for you because I’ve been there. Sometimes I just don’t want to be touched and sometimes it’s when my kids want to be right on top of me. You’re not a bad mom. You’re human.

4 Likes

my son suffers from severe separation anxiety. i mean he would be glued to me all the time and covid made it worse. i used to get frustrated when he would follow me around the house so i had a long talk with him about boundaries and personal space . we have a word we use when im frustrated and need some space.

You are absolutely NOT a bad mother! Sometimes when we are touched to much we can get some anxiety.
It happened to me all of the time. What I did was I made my kids start asking for hugs and cuddles. Just simple please can I have a cuddle or a hug. I do the same for them. If I didn’t want to hug or cuddle I would say how about a high five or a fist bump. Then I would come back after I felt better and say hey! Do you still want cuddles? Usually they do so we would have cuddles then. It’s okay to not want to be touched all of the time.

8 Likes

Sometimes fibromyalgia is to blame. I would get checked

2 Likes

I’m on the spectrum and I don’t always like being touched, and it sometimes gives me very bad anxiety. But something I will never do is make my kid feel bad or unwanted because of my issues. He asks me for a hug? I give it to him. He wants to be picked up? I pick him up. I never want him to feel unwanted just because I’m having anxiety and don’t want to be touched. As his mommy, I am his safe place, and a source of love and comfort. I always keep that in mind when I get anxious and feel tempted to tell him to just go play. Edited to add: my kiddo is only 3 though and is also on the spectrum

2 Likes

U need help.badly.your son can feel your not wa ti g his love

3 Likes

In these moments u need to explain instead of just saying dont touch me!! Tell him “honey its too hot” or “mommy isnt feeling well”

6 Likes

I’ve gone thru SA and I’ve never been touchy feely and so that made things worse. Well when my son was born and little i didn’t mind…he needed me. But when he was closer to a yr old I realized he had sensory issues…needed CONSTANT SKIN TO SKIN CONTACT OF SOME KIND and I just tried. I choked back my anxiety and powered through…he is almost 9 and still needs an arm or leg or hand touching me constantly and I can’t stand it! I’ve tried explaining boundaries with this stuff but no luck. But my SA lead me into a bad relationship which was abusive and another SA lead to my son. So I think that why it bothers me. So I internalize it all.

There are nice ways to explain that it’s very hot or mommy has had a hard day and needs alone time. I know it’s hard. I am a single mom and work full time. I do all of the cooking, cleaning, laundry and running around. Sometimes when I finally sit on the couch the last thing I want is to be bothered again. There are perfectly acceptable ways to say mommy is taking a break right now.

1 Like

It happens to me too sometimes kids can get in your personal space :joy: like I can’t even stand up :joy:

It’s called sensory overload and it’s normal but maybe talk to your doctor about coping skills and ways to accommodate the snuggles.

Being touched out is absolutely a thing. Just be honest and get on his level and talk to him. Tell him you love him more than he will ever know, but sometimes you need a break to be okay before being touched again. My boys are 6 & 7 and I absolutely have had this happen. They cling, I love them, but sometimes it’s too much and they have to learn boundaries as well.

1 Like

Seek advice from a professional, important for you and your child.

3 Likes

Overstimulation. It happens. Many call it feeling “touched out”. I get this way at times. Sometimes you just need to tell the kiddo you need a break from hugs and touching because you need your time out/break. Let them know it isn’t their fault and that when you feel better and can tolerate the touches again they’ll get the hugs. I’m a mom of 8. Someone is almost always on me and I have issues with overstimulation so I’ve had to let my kids know when I’m touched out. Moms ARE human, we just have to let the kids understand that too and that sometimes we need a little space for a bit but still love them.

1 Like

You are overwhelmed, over-touched and over stimulated. This is more common than most women are brave enough to admit. Being brave enough to admit that this is going on and asking for help through it shows just how good of a mother you are! :heart:

1 Like

It sounds like sensory overload

2 Likes

Not a bad mother teach him concent to hug. I’m the say way I have sensory issues and I don’t really like to be touched and some days are worst then others. It don’t make you a bad mother

If your making your baby think you hate him…something is wrong and you should be seeking the kind of help from a professional to fix it.

3 Likes

Explain to him that every one shows love in their own way. He likes a lot of snugging, but you just like a little snuggling, but that doesn’t mean you don’t love him. You can then tell him things you like to do to show love, saying it with words, spending time together doing an activity, etc. I had to explain that to my son because he doesn’t like a lot of touch but my daughter does and tends to go overboard, but it was because she loves him not because she was trying to annoy him which is what he felt. It helped him have more patience with her and find other ways to connect so she didn’t smother him in affection.

3 Likes

It is all in the approach to take. Instead of saying don’t touch me which is pretty harsh for a kid to hear when they are just trying to cuddle maybe say “I love your cuddles and love you so much but I am very hot and sticky right now and I need some space to cool off” then maybe take couple mins and go stand outside to give yourself a breather.

4 Likes

You sound overwhelmed we all get it from time to time but not constantly your senses are overloaded and everything is unbareable. Your son just wants some love and he don’t understand but it is very valid. Please seek help from family friends and professionals if its affecting you daily x

2 Likes

You’re not a bad mother. Children have zero boundaries. I have an 8 year old, who will come sit on the couch with me, but even when the whole couch is empty, she wants to practically sit right on top of me. I often tell her to get off of me, but I immediately explain why I need her to move over. It’s not like I want her to get away from me, I just want her to get off of me. It’s usually when I’m in a general bad mood, or I’m exhausted or frustrated. Those are the times when I just need some personal space and some alone time. And while many will frown on it, it is SO important, as a mother, so have some kind of time to yourself. You can’t take care of your children and your family if you’re not taking care of yourself.

1 Like

I feel this to my core!!My daughter is 5 & on the weekends when we are together 24/7 I get touched out easily. I love to cuddle, but having her hanging on my leg, smacking my butt, wanting to hug me when I go to bathroom, etc. gets exhausting quick!

It’s called being “touched out.” Google it. It’s normal.

2 Likes

You gotta get in to see a doctor to help with your sensory overload. In the meantime, sit him down and try to make him understand that you love him more than anything. There are just times when it’s too hot or when you don’t feel very good that you need to lay down and rest. Hug him, pick him up, cuddle him as much as you can. Play with him. And when you feel like you can’t be touched, suggest watching a movie that will take his attention off you. Keep a supply of educational movies, Disney movies, cartoons, or family movies. Pop popcorn. Whatever it takes. Just try not to push him away with a “don’t touch me”.A “let mommy rest for awhile” will be much better.

1 Like

Google: “anxiety and vitamin deficiency”. B¹ and vitamin D. Then find top 10 sources for B¹ and get vitamin D.

It’s more common for us mom’s than you think. I thought I was being awful for feeling this way too sometimes but sensory overload is real. We just have to calmly tell them that’s it’s not good for us at the moment, but that we still love them and it’s okay.

1 Like

You could be autistic… alot of mothers in the autistic community report these feelings. Maybe research female presenting autism or female presenting ADHD, YouTube is extremely insightful for this.
You do need to dig deeper into what’s causing it and how to find balance because no child should feel how you say your son is feeling, rejection is an awful feeling but you are human and understanding why you feel a certain way will help you manage those feelings in a more tactful way x

2 Likes

Learning that other people don’t “owe” you hugs and cuddles is extremely important. I’m not a touchy person and have a VERY physically needy son. I have taught him to ask for hugs/snuggles and respect that (from me) the answer will usually be “yes” but will sometimes be “no,” because I need personal space and time to myself. From others, the answer may be “no” more often, or all the time, and he must respect that. I’ve taught him the same boundaries when he wants hugs from his sister. Seeing both my children grow in awareness that everyone has needs and boundaries is wonderful. Seeing my son ask “can I have a hug?” or “would you like a hug?” rather than demanding one and crying or pouting if he doesn’t get it right away is lovely.
There is nothing wrong with wanting personal space or sometimes not wanting to be touched. It does NOT mean you don’t love your kids, are a bad mom, are neglecting their needs, or any such nonsense.

5 Likes

I think you should talk to a therapist. Sometimes mom stuff is so overwhelming. I have really bad pain days and sometimes if someone touches me during a pain flare up it feels like my skin is crawling. I would just tell him mommy needs a minute and that you love him. And when you can compose yourself you can go hug him and tell him that you needed his hug and reaffirm that you love him again. Sometimes if it is too hot or sticky a cool shower can resolve some of that but it sounds like a lot more is going on with you-- it does sound a lot like sensory overload or sensory integration disorder which is common with people on the autism spectrum. I am in no way a Dr but I have two kids on the spectrum and what you are describing sounds a lot like that. Girls are more often misdiagnosed or unrealized entirely because of our coping skills so it wouldn’t be unheard of to get dx’d as an adult. You obviously care about what affects your child and you are looking for advice and support so that makes you a GOOD mom. Anxiety and overload are very real struggles so find an outlet and maybe you can do other things with your son like a puzzle or game where you don’t have to touch but can still interact on your bad days.

1 Like

This makes me sad- love that baby! Take all the cuddles you can get! That’s my favorite part of the day

13 Likes

I have a 5 year old boy. I love to cuddle with him and old him as he does with me sometimes. There is nothing wrong with that. You are his rock, supporter, his everything right now. At that age you need to teach him how to love so that he knows how to love. Don’t ever push your 5 year old child away and tell him that you don’t want him to touch you. You are lowering his self esteem, especially since you said he said he think you hate him. He sees you distancing yourself away. Please don’t do that. He’s still a child. He needs affection. Maybe he is the affectionate type of the 5 love languages. Give that baby some love. Enjoy it now because they grow quick and he won’t do it when he gets older.

5 Likes

It happens. I have my times where I cannot be touched or have anyone within a few inches of me, and that includes my kids. It doesn’t last too long, and I do ask them not to touch me, to give me a few minutes please, until the anxiety passes. I’m the same way with my husband. Afterwards, I’ll hug on them and cuddle and just explain that sometimes I get sensory overloaded and it has nothing to do with them. They understand.

1 Like

I don’t think you are a bad Mum, I think you have sensory overload. Kids can literally be like leeches lol. But if it’s coming across to your child you hate him & it’s effecting your relationship maybe seek some help with dealing with it and with explaining it. Explain to him sometimes your skin feels sore , simple and kind terms rather than " don’t touch me". That would be hurtful for an adult to hear .

No your not crazy or a bad mother. I get like this too I just don’t Qantas be touched by my kids, my husband, my dogs, a piece of clothing. I’m so over stimulated some times that it gets to be too much.
My kids are 5, 6 & 8 & this has been going on way before they were even born. When I get like that I give them a hug, tell them I love them but mommy doesn’t wanna cuddle right now can we read a book & cuddle later. My husband has picked up on my signs over the years. Now if I could get the dogs to give me some space that would be great

1 Like

It’s being “touched out” and also the hot flashes are associated with anxiety and autism! x I’d compile all your mental and physical symtoms and see if any go together if this isn’t like yourself. Also of course this doesn’t mean you’re a bad mom. :heart::heart::heart:

I call that being touched out. My son is also very touchy. When I start to feel like this, I let him know mommy needs 5 minutes of alone time and he’s ok with that. I go have a few minutes to myself and I’m fine after that

1 Like

Go talk to a counselor.

2 Likes

I am very lovey to my kids, want that closeness, hugs, kisses, cuddle etc but some people are not like that and that’s ok, but he is still young and wants that closeness to you probably feels that you don’t want to hug him or cuddle him bc of your reactions. So talk to him, reassure him you love him, and hug him but let him know sometimes you don’t like to be hugged or touched etc try to explain it to him so he would understand but ya, sometimes my girls are all over me lol and I am like ugh just need a minute of course I don’t say that but I think it but they are our kids and want that attention.

1 Like

I get touched out and I’m not a fan of ppl touching me anyway.
I will say, see a therapist. They can give you tools to help and keep you from passing it onto your son.
Children are sponges and it won’t be intentional, but it could end up being an issue for him bc he’s watching you. :black_heart:

4 Likes

Sounds like you need to talk to your Dr to get on some xanax or something, overstimulation is a thing but this sounds like anxiety.

Have you been scammed? Did you loss your hard earned money I’ve got solution for you🤝 contact Mrs Veronika filina will help you recover your lost funds
@Redirecting...

2 Likes

I was the same way. I get touched out easy. Now the way I handle it was bedtime. My kids had a bedtime and we stuck to it. I would get a couple hours to decompress after the day. It’s what I needed to be able to function all day.

I definitely understand personal space, but he’s 5. He probably doesn’t understand why you’re not wanting to cuddle with him. Mine is 13 now and I wish he still wanted to cuddle :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Sensory issue. I forgot what it’s called.

1 Like

I dont care to be hugged much or touched . Its stressful when it happens.

Hmm sounds like you had some childhood trauma. And it’s healthy to have boundaries and alone time so don’t feel guilty about it. Yes you are a mom but you are also a person outside of that role. Just remember your sons love language might be physical touch. Him giving you affection might be the only way he knows how to express those emotions he’s feeling. You might want to think about family therapy. They can help guide boundary settings and helping you both express love other than physical touch.

2 Likes

You’re not a bad mom as far as I’m concerned I don’t like to be touched either, by anybody, unless I give them permission and even then I don’t really want a hug or anybody to cling to me I don’t even care for people who show their affection in public, it tends to make me uncomfortable, some people just don’t like physical contact and I happen to be one of them. I’m sure a lot of other people will disagree but I don’t care.

I don’t think you are a bad mother. I do think you need to be careful about how you respond to him wanting hugs and attention when you physically don’t want to be touched. I say this because my mother used to yell at me because she didn’t want touched.

I remember my son being that way. Now he is grown and I do good to get a hug…

I would get some mental health help ASAP since this is not a natural feeling most mother’s have and before it ruins your sons sense of self forever.

5 Likes

Your not a bad mum, you have an anxiety disorder which needs to be properly diagnosed and treated. Try as hard as it is to not turn away from your son. He needs his mum and in a couple of years your going to miss those cuddles, but for now you don’t want him to feel unloved and anxious when with you. Reach out and get treatment immediately

3 Likes

You need PSYCHIATRIC help!! #GetItFast!!

I get touched out very easily. I’m like that about 95% of the time. Prior to kids I loved snuggling but now the anxiety and being overwhelmed is ALL THE TIME.
I also suffer from traumatic brain injury which I think adds to me being overwhelmed and over simulated. Definitely doesn’t make you a bad mad! :heart:

Sweetheart please go see a good therapist. It may be nothing. But you maybe depressed. I think you should talk to someone. Please understand I’m saying this from a caring place. This is not me insulting you or taking a jab at you. I think you should talk to someone. Post-partum depression is real. And left untreated can get worse.

Ok first off I think most of your are thinking into this to much. Kids are annoying, they will get on your ast nerve and after so many hugs and cuddles it gets annoying for anyone. Your touched out. Simply tell him, “dude I need a cuddle break, no more cuddles for a little bit.” I have 3 kids under the age 5. I can only handle so many cuddles before it gets irritating. That doesn’t mean I need counseling or mental help. It means I’m a stay at home mom and I have just had enough cuddles for awhile. You just have to explain to them you just don’t want cuddles right now. It’s not a big deal. Distract them with some toys and go decompress.

9 Likes

My daughter hates to snuggle ima snuggler give him a shirt or sweater of yours to cuddle in but don’t EVER say get away from me they don’t know any different when it gets to much offer a special blanket shirt something soft

I completely understand that sometimes happens with me me and my son now communicate with we need space so we both know when we don’t want to be touched or cuddled and then we communicate when we need hugs or to be cuddled as well

I feel guilty because my 4 year old son does this to me too. I don’t know what it is but our heads just bump instantly. Some days even his voice makes me cringe. I have been asking myself the same thing. I have suffered from child hood rape and addiction most my life but I also have 6 kids and his little spirit is the only one that runs mine this certain way. God told me to keep him in church or I wouldn’t be able to raise him by myself because he is special🤷‍♀️ For now I’m just being obedient. It has helped but I still struggle🤷‍♀️

Sensory overload…basically you’re “touched out”. It doesn’t make you a bad mother, it makes you human. I would suggest finding ways to cope with this now so it doesn’t become a problem for you and your son’s relationship when he’s older.

6 Likes

Girl get to the doctor and get your hormones checked start talking to a therapist you’re already causing damage to that baby and then you might need to get a break get a babysitter

3 Likes

My heart hurts for your son, boys love to hug their mom! Please talk to someone - sounds like you could have something going on!

6 Likes

I go through that with my girls. My 5 yr old is so close to me all day. If I get out of her sight she freaks. I rarely get to hug my 4 yr old cause the 5 yr old won’t get off of me. As soon as I sit down she’s on me. At night I fight with her to sleep in her own bed and she screams and just gets in mine, she’s been that way since birth. So I have to let the 4 yr old in too so she don’t feel neglected. I just want no touching for a few min a day but it’s rare.