Am I wrong to feel this way when my son touches me?

Sounds like unresolved trauma. Have you talked to a therapist? On rare occasion I get “all touched out” but I have 6 kiddos and they are CONSTANTLY on me… I am a very touchy person so I love it most of the time. But sometimes… sometimes enough is enough. Being that he is 5 though? This breaks my heart. Please talk to someone about it. Find a way around this because that little guy needs love and you do not want to give him a complex… we need more loving men in this world and it starts with mom. :heartpulse: But it’s human… very human to need a little space sometimes. I get that but please talk to someone… we are all just trying to be our best for our kiddos and meet those seemingly endless amount of needs… but YOU and your mental health needs to be okay in order to deliver your best as a mom. :heartpulse: Good job for reaching out. Very brave, it’s not easy. :heartpulse: You got this, mama!

10 Likes

No you aren’t a bad mother, I don’t like constantly touched and hugged too, luckily my girls are not clingy, but I have my moments when I just politely ask them not to over do it.

2 Likes

You aren’t a bad mom or alone. I get that way with my 4.5 and 7 yr olds. I just use it as a extra moment to help teach consent and boundaries. If you want a hug or to cuddle that’s okay, but please just ask first. If I say no, that’s okay I just don’t want to be touched in the moment but you can give me the hug or cuddles later. I do the same for them, I ask. “Hey, I would like a hug, is it okay if I give you one?”. There’s times they say no or not right now to me as well.

1 Like

You never mentioned his daddy could it be your son brings bad memoriesI of his daddy’s possible abuse to you

It sucks when we are touched out completely and we need to give someone else affection. Sending love your way

I’m so proud of you for reaching out! You are a great Mom because you care about yours & your child’s needs and are working at it!

2 Likes

You are the mother. Remove yourself with keeping busy if you don’t want your toddler to cuddle with you. I couldn’t imagine doing that to my son. Poor baby.

3 Likes

I have adhd and I get this way but mine is mainly my face so my girls have rules don’t touch mommy’s face so talk with him he’s old enough to understand don’t just yell at him or push him away explain to him and give him boundaries tell him he can set near you or at this spot when you feel this way and just explain to him why and make sure he knows that you still love him first of all

1 Like

That’s so sad. Poor baby

6 Likes

Your probably feeling overstimulated, over touched. I get that way too. Specially when they were little. Even now they’re older I get a bit over it.

1 Like

Oh what I would give to have my son hug me again. Once the Lord calls them home you’ll never feel their touch or hug again. :disappointed:

8 Likes

No, you’re not a bad mother. And ppl that are talking trash just don’t understand.
Idk if this is ur case but.
Personally I have issues with being touched. It’s trauma. It’s PTSD. I won’t get into details but sexual trauma is rough, and the symptoms don’t discriminate. The body doesn’t understand that this person is safe even though your brain knows…
seek help momma. It’s ok.

I’d def recommend talking to your doctor. But if this is how you felt before a child, I can see as he ages how it could start feeling like that for you. He’s still his own little human even with your DNA. Take care of yourself and def see a doctor. :heart:

Sensory overload. I have these moments too. I shower to get over this.

1 Like

Enjoy the cuddling… they grow up so quickly…

DO NOT let anyone make you feel bad about this. I think it’s fairly normal. I’m assuming it’s hormones, but could be a range of different things. Talk to your doctor if it gets worse, but don’t feel bad. It happens to a lot of people.

4 Likes

Absolutely not! If it gets more freque

Seek out a therapist or someone to talk it through who can give you tools to use with your son so that it doesn’t affect your relationship.

You are not a bad mom at all. Just remember he is only 5 once and just needs his mom for security. In just a blink of an eye he will be grown and you will wish for those cuddles again.

4 Likes

Sounds like you are touched out. I spend every waking moment, taking care of others. By the end of the day, I really just need my body to myself…and that’s when my kiddos are tired and wanting the comfort of being on or next to mom. I try to put my discomfort aside, but sometimes I HAVE to speak up or remove myself…bc in that moment…it’s just too much. I don’t think there’s really anything “wrong” with it, or harmful…other than the fact that you likely aren’t getting the support that you need…and/or likely aren’t making yourself a priority.

6 Likes

Believe it or not it does happen and that doesn’t make you a bad parent.

1 Like

It’s ok. Talk with a doctor if you feel you need to re assure yourself but I go through this sometimes too. We have 6 kids and there is constant “mommy mommy mommy” sometimes I’m overwhelmed and just need a moment alone. Step aside take a breather and return to the situation. I tell my kids I just need a little space for a moment.

I LOVE to cuddle my son…but not skin to skin. I always have a blanket wrapped around me or around him. It’s weird but I get what your saying. It could be a sensory thing or a touched out thing. As long as our skin isn’t touching I’m all good. And it’s not just my son…I’m like this with my hubby to. I’ll cuddle right left and center but only with something in between us.

Ok. You are having sensory over and your son wants your time. So maybe redirect. Instead of cuddling maybe sit in the floor and roll a ball to each other, paint, play with hot wheels even a board game. Anything that puts a little distance between the 2 of you while still interacting. I’m super honest with my kids. When my anxiety flares I tell them, hey I love you but I can’t handle the noise right now. Can we do something quite? Kids understand more than we give them credit

6 Likes

Just talk with him. Tell him you love him very much but sometimes you just like your space.

Not a bad mom but no I’ve never felt that way

Well now i like the affection …but when my baby was an infant and i went to breast feed him and had a let down …omg something abt tht made me literally insane …and i would have all this anxiety. And could only force myself to feed for like 10 mins :cry: and god forbid my hair touch my face … I broke out in hives and everything …i thought omg why am i like this…and tht there was the start of mom guilt …i have only became better bc im ob meds

I call it being “touched out” I tell my kids “moms touched out” and they back off

2 Likes

I don’t think you’re a bad mom although I’ve never experienced this…but I can agree with others that you’re going to want the affection when it’s too late. I also think you should talk to a professional because it sounds like it’s affecting your son. It could affect the way he treats women when he gets older too.

2 Likes

No you are not a bad mom. It’s called being “touched out” and it’s completely normal. It’s exhausting constantly having to give physically affection, and it would be healthy for you to create some boundaries with your son. Simply saying mom doesn’t feel like cuddling right now or can I just hold your hand.

1 Like

Oh honey, you are NOT a bad mother, it’s TOTALLY OKAY to be touched out!!! Don’t feel bad about that, my babies are almost 7 and 8, girl and boy and sometimes I am touched out, we are not just mothers, we are humans with human emotions, your son knows you don’t hate him but sometimes they perceive words to describe their big feelings they don’t understand with words they have heard, you’re a good mama and don’t let this hiccup force you into self doubt!! Stay strong!!!

2 Likes

You’re overstimulated mama! And it’s totally ok. However, it is a symptom of anxiety disorders, so I would honestly urge you to see your doc and have them assess you or possibly even offer you counseling.

2 Likes

I mean my mom and dad used to tell us kids “Christ I just walked through the door! Leave me alone, I haven’t even sat down to take a s*** yet!” :sweat_smile::rofl::rofl: and we don’t hate them :woman_shrugging: Now, we were older than 5, but the statement and point still stands. EVERYONE needs space, even parents. Your son probably just doesn’t understand the concept of alone time for mommy yet. He’s young and even adults say things they don’t mean sometimes when they are upset.

2 Likes

You’re not alone with this. I struggle with this with my son I hate myself for feeling that way. I love him he’s my world. I don’t know if it’s a sensory issue or my child hood trauma issue affecting me where I don’t want to be touched by anyone.

1 Like

I’m the same way I offer my son a qui k high five and promise him cuddles at a different time. a reminder that we have to respect boundaries even from mommy and especially everyone else

1 Like

I have issues with anyone touching me but my significant other and my child. They are the only ones allowed to touch me for any length of time and randomly. If I’m touched randomly, I’ll go into a panic attack.

You got some issues please don’t have anymore kids …that poor child…that’s not normal not wanting to snuggle or hold ur child

17 Likes

I think maybe you should speak to a therapist. And find another way of telling him you need space instead of getting stern and saying “ don’t touch me right now ”. That could very well have a child feeling like he isn’t loved. Maybe instead of saying it that why. Explain to him that it’s too hot to cuddle, and after a cold shower you will cuddle with him. Maybe sit on the couch and have him just lay on your lap. You can show other ways of affection towards him. Do you tell him you love him? How often? Maybe give him a hug before bed/ when he wakes up. Etc. maybe he doesn’t feel loved throughout the day. So when he wants it from you his mother, he is clingy. Maybe try spreading out the affection. Children need to know what love is from their parents. Do not pull away now that he said he doesn’t love you. That should be a wake up call. The change needs to start with you. If you arent affectionate towards him at this age, he will bring that rejection of women into his adult life. Please seek help.

9 Likes

U need to see your doctor

5 Likes

I get this way also… seems like im good with babies & some toddlers but bigger the individual the more I cringe… I don’t like being touched…

It to me just sounds like your touched out. Try taking a day or two for yourself, have someone else watch him for a bit. It happens don’t let ppl make you feel bad.

4 Likes

You’re not a bad mother. You’re feeling touched out

3 Likes

I don’t like to be touched myself, but a lot of mine comes from health issues I have and fibromyalgia plays a big role in it. It hurts to be touch some times even my my on doings. But I’ve never liked to be touched since I was a preteen dealing with mental illness. So no your not a bad mother. Just got to figure out another way of showing him u love him and touching is off limits until bed time.

1 Like

I’m the same… sometimes I just don’t want to be touched… i always just explained it to them & told them I still loved them… but other times I would ask for hugs or cuddles… & I made sure to let them know that it wasn’t just them, that I didn’t want anyone to touch me at the time… they seem to understand it fine… my oldest child (15) is the same, so that helps too

3 Likes

Respectfully, get help and speak to a therapist. Better to do it sooner then later! Do you suffer from depression??

3 Likes

Did your mother not like being touched ? Has something happened in the past where you were touched and now dread the feeling ? I get not everyone like being touched but maybe subconsciously something is going on in your head and you need to see someone about it ?

4 Likes

horrible mother who push their children away hot or not show some dam love to the boy or don’t have kids!

8 Likes

sensory overload. we need breaks too.

1 Like

I have 6 kids and most of which are teens and adults they don’t give me a hug or say they love me as much anymore and I have a 5 yr old boy and 10 yr old girl who still want to b stuck to my hip and it does get annoying but it don’t last forever cherish it while it lasts they will remember the cuddles but also they will remember when u didn’t want them either

1 Like

It happens to me more often than I’d like to admit. It’s normal to want boundaries and have space, even from your child. My daughter is very attached to me and sometimes it’s just too much. I let her know that she can sit near me, but not to touch. She’s only 3, but is starting to understand that mommy doesn’t like to be touched all the time. It’s nothing to feel bad about, and no one should make you feel bad about it. You are an amazing parent regardless. Everyone needs their boundaries no matter who it’s with. Just talk to him about it, he will understand. You got this!

2 Likes

You’re just over stimulated. I struggled when I had my daughter and breastfeeding her I had the exact feeling. I would make sure that you are getting your alone time and what you need in return you will feel less over stimulated and will be able to give your child what they need. I would suggest maybe counseling if you feel like you maybe are having some underlying mental health concerns. I feel like I struggled with this the most when I had postpartum depression. I understand how you’re feeling and why you feel like you’re a bad mom but you’re not and you’re not the only one who feels this way.

1 Like

Babies don’t really walk up and touch you. It was always your choice to pick up your baby and hold your baby. Now it’s not. It gets alot more rough as they get older. My 5 year old is a nerf gun, water balloon thrower, wrestling, cuddly, tickles me for no reason, and needs that human contact from me to feel loved from me. Not approval seeking but love bc that’s what mama’s do. Touch is such an important role for children to feel with parents. It’s that hand to hold, the hands that punish, the arms that they cry on, the lips of kisses, the tickles, all of it. I have 3 currently and I’m constantly touching and being touched. Not more than 1 min a day goes by where one of my Littles doesn’t have me or them touching. Of course there are moments I want to cry or throw myself in a literal garbage can and shut the lid just to hear silence and be alone. Your a mom not a robot. But…You have to get help. Medication, meditation, something needs to help you or your poor baby is going to grow up feeling that he has to seek approval by touch. And that can go pretty deep and hurt him in many ways. You do not want your baby to grow up feeling that he can’t safely be touched or touch others thru out his feelings. Hug when you feel sad, hold hands forsafety. You are home, you are his safety. Take that away and he will find a safety net in others and be resentful thru touch seeking constant approval in other forms. I’m no dr but this is my opinion. If you get help it will help you navigate your feelings, and help you understand why youbfeel that way. You do not want your child to come up to you one day excited or sad needing your touch and you can’t suddenly breathe every time he comes near you. It’s just not going to be a healthy bond and you deserve to have that with him and vise versa. He certainly did not chose your anxiety and neither did you. But you can chose to get help to become better for him. It’s unfair to constantly ask him to accommodate you. It’s literally our job as parents to do the opposite. We have to accommodate and change for our children based off of their needs.

8 Likes

I think you have sensory issues. I deal with this sometimes with anyone touching me

3 Likes

You’re not a bad mother. EVERYBODY needs their space every now and then. Even from their kids and significant other. Teach him now about consent and personal space. And be more positive about it. Instead of “don’t touch me,” try saying “how about you sit next to me instead.”

8 Likes

Sensory overload. I have the same problem with my daughter. I was so aggravated tonight because she wouldn’t let me put her down. I had to pee and hold her on my lap because she would scream if I put her down. She’s almost 3. She has to be held all the time and a lot of times I get touched out. I don’t want my kids touching me or my husband or anyone. It just means you need a break. Moms need breaks too. Your son is may just not understand and perceives it as you don’t love him but don’t take it to heart.

1 Like

just keep in mind…they wont always be little…hold them while u can

1 Like

Sad my boys round the same age he loves his hugs

It sounds like sensory overload. This is normal. You aren’t a bad mother. Explore other ways to connect and give your self some much deserved alone time.

2 Likes

One day he’s gonna grow up and not bother touching you let alone give you hugs. It’s only for a short time, you need to get it together, figure out what’s best for your child.

6 Likes

Not crazy. This is important. Children have to learn boundaries. Not everyone likes to be touched hugged held. And you’re letting him know you wouldn’t like to. Explain to him why! I do all the time. (I also have bad ptsd and trauma and I can’t have any man so close I can hear the breathing. Even my little brother. And I explained. And now it’s easier)

We just remind that a lot of people prefer not to be touched.

Also our 7 year old was constantly clinging to dad. Trying to sit in his lap on him cuddle and stuff. And we had to tell him he’s getting to old for that. Boys don’t sit in grown men’s laps. Our 3 year old wouldn’t stop planting kisses on whatever part of the body he could reach. Including my thigh. :grimacing: it grossed and freaked and tossed me into a panic. But we just had to stop showing as much affection like they were babies. We cuddle. Hug. But we don’t hold them or let them in our laps or on top of our bodies in any way and It helps. It reminds them you can’t hold on 24/7. If there’s an autistic or ASD person around that could help. Explain how it makes their body feel trapped!

4 Likes

Also. It’s not just because of depression. DO NOT LET ANYONE SHAME YOU. It’s a thing. It happens. It’s way better to teach boundaries than make yourself or other children uncomfortable. Your babies will learn your uncomfortable if you don’t be open and explain! Tou are doing great mama!

Also maybe he has some kind of anxiety? Custody issues when my daughter r was young. My ex tried to physically rip her out of my arms when I left one night with the cops. She is 2 years older and now still has issues. Has to touch me or feel me to Fall asleep /:

6 Likes

I can’t believe all the rude people on here when someone’s is seeking help or advice, what happen to woman to woman :woman_facepalming:

Your over whelmed you need alone time and these comments some of y’all are a bunch of Cwords a mother can feel like she’s drawning? She can’t have some fucking space? Get over yourselves

Setting boundaries and carving out time for self care is an important part of being a good mother. I’m sorry some other people don’t agree with that. I whole heartedly believe that you recognizing this about yourself is a good thing. Maybe some therapy about why you feel this way would be helpful. Any talk therapy is helpful in my opinion. I’m sorry you’re feeling down but I feel it probably has a lot to do with you being around him all the time and just needing some space and time where you’re not at his neck and call.

2 Likes

Sounds like you could be over stimulated or could suffer anxiety. I would seek help or just tell your child mommy needs time right now give me a moment and we can cuddle and hug in a moment. I just can’t envision me telling my child that they have to ask for a hug or ask if they can touch me especially knowing that’s how they communicate and feel loved and safe. My child is clingy and it’s annoying but I usually just tell him hold on give me a minute when I’m upset or on overload

2 Likes

I was abused as in many ways. I feel the same the way about touch. My kids a in bettwe 6 and 10. I always tell I love you very much but I need time to love you from a distance right now. Otherwise I’d kids have all over me.

1 Like

Are you neurodivergent or autistic? I find this is common among my group of mum friends with sensory issues/autism.
I’m autistic and I don’t get this as much from touch from my son, but there are days his voice drives me insane.
You are so not alone!

2 Likes

It’s called “touched out”, it’s a perfectly normal thing to experience, after I stopped breastfeeding I went through a phase of not wanting to be touched by anyone and felt quite uncomfortable. Everyone has boundaries and sometimes they are a little higher some days

5 Likes

You need professional advice/counseling.

2 Likes

I was touched out the other day. It happens. I had a sick 7 year old and a 4 year old that’s very much only about mommy. After 3 days of constant cuddling, I was done. I’m not a cuddly person, unless it’s my babies, but sometimes it’s just too much. I think maybe you can substitute a cuddle with a board game or something the 2 of you can play together.

4 Likes

Sounds like you have sensory issues. Maybe just tell him mom doesn’t really feel like holding you but maybe you could sit by me and hold my hand. It’s still touching but not as intrusive to your personal space as actually holding him. Be sure to tell him you still love him you just need your space for a little bit. I’m that way when I’m hot also.

It happens and that’s ok we all need space from time to time iv been teaching my kids if someone doesn’t want you touching them no means no and teaching him the bubble thing that people have an invisible bubble around them and sometimes people don’t want others In there bubbles

You need to see your doctor and soon.

3 Likes

You really should seek medical attention. No child should feel their mother hates them. I feel absolutely heartbroken for your little one.

11 Likes

I feel like this sometimes too and I have 8 kids. I just tell them I have cooties right now come back later lol idk it seems to work. It’s ok to have your boundaries as long as you have no irrational thoughts going on

There is a free app called “the happy child” and deep emotional bonds are actually created by being there for them emotionally during stressful times. Touching is what promotes oxytocin and feel good hormones.
It talks about cortisol, dopamine, oxytocin etc.
Check it out! You may learn another way to help him feel loved.

1 Like

Being touched out is definitely something A LOT of moms go through. I get the same way sometimes and just have to explain to my babies that I just need a few minutes without being touched. Their response is always positive because I’ve informed them, made them aware of why and how I’m feeling the way I am and they too feel the same way sometimes and will make sure they tell others when they need some space.

I get that way. It’s a sensory overload. I’m that way with touching and sounds. You’re not a bad mom. Just try to explain it to him in a way he’ll understand

4 Likes

You are NOT a bad mom. Sensory overload and being touched out are completely normal. It’s sad your son thinks you hate him, but you can fix it. Children are very forgiving and resilient. You have to get on eye level with him and explain it in a way he will understand. My 3yo is very comprehensive but his incessant need to be on me gets overwhelming. I’ll ask him to be quiet and give him a small task or put on a show / movie he likes. Once I get over the sensory issue, we go back to holding or cuddling or playing. Some of his need for me comes from having an infant brother now that takes up a lot of me time and attention away from my 3yo so I have to find balance. If he has younger siblings, try to make sure he’s getting one on one time with mommy, like a quick ice cream date or walks or whatever you can fit in with just him.

3 Likes

He is 5 years old and needs mommys loving cuddles and bonding…you are his mother…how would you feel if your own mother didnt want to hug you or make you feel loved and protected…he’s still a baby who needs nurturing and bonding and love and to be shown an reasured that his mommy loves him…if you dont love him…then give him the chance to have parents that will love him…you sound extremely selfish and cold…sorry but true

7 Likes

Wow some of you ladies are just rude and not helpful at all. This doesn’t make her a bad mother maybe this is a woman that was sexually assaulted and has trauma issues she is seeking help she’s asking for a advice that is the first step of seeking help instead of shaming her and calling her an awful Mom some of you need to look in the mirror because y’all ain’t perfect a lot of people can say that you’re a bad mom. Like if you have nothing nice to say then don’t say it at all.

I get this, I called it being touched out. I get sensory overload and spack out about being touched or even over sounds someimes. Sounds like you needs “me” time to chill and do something for yourself by yourself x your only human muma

I just cried reading this.
I am so sorry you feel this way. My son felt this way by his dad and I just relived a moment.

You should seek counseling or therapy to find out why it is like this with your baby.

2 Likes

You are not a bad mom!! I have three and i feel that way alot! I just tell them i love them but mama needs personal space!!

Hmm, I’d look deeper into the “you don’t love me” remarks & less into cuddle time. He’s old enough to understand that even mom needs her personal space & that doesnt mean she loves him any less… there can be miscommunication happening, there may be a boundary issue… None of us can know but this doesnt make you a “bad mom” in the slightest (as if any of us are perfect) just something to research on your own, see a therapist for, etc. We can all use some help now & then but getting it here when its as important as your child feeling loved while you also feel safe & respected in your own home (don’t start with me people, this is how parents start losing their sense of self & resentment starts forming… so yes, safe) is futile. You are heard though. & I personally read in this post, it’s clear you love your child & a conversation may need to start, in a way he can understand. Just my 2 cents.

3 Likes

You are not a bad mother. It’s hard when they are little they don’t understand cause you are their world. :heart:

just because your son wants to cuddle most of the time - u your has to say to him honey mom wants to do something for herself and it’s not cuddleing ok! i just want some alone time - &NO I DON’T LOVE U ANY LESS ! U MEAN THE WORLD TO ME ! BUT NOW THAT U R GETTING OLDER WE HAVE TO CUT TIME DOWN ON CUDDLING OK! JUST BE YOURSELF AFTER TELLING HIM THIS!