Am I wrong to not want my moms dog around my children anymore?

They need to watch the kids and teach them to leave the dog alone while the dog is eating. If that’s been the only incident where the dog has bitten one of the kids then I wouldn’t actually worry. I’d just let them know they need to feed the dog somewhere else away from the kids or watch the kids closely so they aren’t messing with them while they’re eating. Children need to be taught boundaries with pets. In a lot of cases, it seems the dogs are expected to put with kids messing with their food while eating or picking on them and that’s not right. There are situations with animals where kids need to be taught to leave them alone. I wouldn’t put up with my kids messing with my food while I’m trying to eat, I’m not going to expect a dog to deal with it either.

5 Likes

besides the bite in the past issue (which the situation wasnt explained)… you want someone who owns a dog to watch your kids… how about them watch your kids at your house… or, find someone who does not own dogs to watch your child.
the dog still lives there and has a right to be free in his home and you dont have the right to tell her what to do with her dog, but, you do also have the right to not bring your kids back.

8 Likes

My Son was bit in the face by my brother and sister-in-laws dog this past Christmas while we there having dinner. My Son did absolutely nothing to the dog at all. He just tried to pet the dog (very sweetly and gently) and he whipped around and bit my son. he will have a permanent scar for the rest of his life. My husband and I were uncomfortable with the dogs before it happened but as we don’t know my sister in law very well as yet didn’t say anything as we didn’t want to seem rude in her home. Since the bite happened My husband and I have said I don’t care where we are - we will ask for the dog to be put up. Better safe than sorry! Especially for something that can 100% be avoided! I cannot believe as a grandmother she would chose a dog over the safety of her grandchildren! It’s not like she has to get rid of them, she can put them up! I would be finding someone else to watch my kids! They have a terrible attitude and no respect for you as a mother!

You are allowed to have boundaries. If ANYONE is not willing to respect and follow the boundaries you made for YOUR child, then cut them off because they can’t be trusted. If it were me, I’d only let my MIL around my son when I am around.

2 Likes

If it’s ur MIL house don’t take ur kids to her house no more she wants to keep watching them then do it at ur house
If it was me I would of stop taking them the first time it happen PERIOD

2 Likes

I understand the concern but you can’t come to someone’s house and make the rules. If you are uncomfortable then they shouldn’t be watching your kid. Find someone different.

12 Likes

Then MIL doesn’t need to watch the kids, find a new sitter or if she decides she will still watch them she can do it in your home. Simple as that.

1 Like

Are they babysitting for free? If so you have to right to ask them anything. They are doing you a favour AND I am sure they do their best to keep your children safe. If you feel they are not safe you need to find a new babysitter and visit only. No free babysitting.

3 Likes

I honestly wouldn’t expect anything less if they were watching my kids.

1 Like

The fact she says it’s been the most stressful 6 months, I believe her. You sound like you have given her nonstop problems. You can’t rule someone else’s house and make demands🤷‍♀️if you don’t like the situation then find another sitter.

11 Likes

I have major anxiety with any dog around my children. 2 separate occasions when my daughter was crawling and again when she was 3 she was nearly attacked by a dog both times she wasn’t even near the dog they came from no where. I love dogs but i love my children more I will not risk it. “Teach your kids to respect animals” yeah my kids are only 2 and 5 kids make mistakes their still learning boundaries in life. I’d hate for mine to test the boundaries with the wrong dog and be attacked or even lose their life.

1 Like

You should probably not send your kids over there if they are not allowed to be around the pet who lives there. I have 4 dogs myself and would not allow someone to come into my house that does not live there and tell me what to do with my dogs. However I do believe this would be a perfect opportunity to teach the kids not to mess with the dog while it is eating. Your mil should not feed the dog while the kids are around since that is what seems to be the problem but you are wrong for demanding the dog be locked up ( not around) while your kids are there. She js right she doesn’t have to watch them. The fact that you are making her choose between her pet and your kids speaks volumes on your character. Also the fact that you are willing to cut off the grandparents because they will not conform to what you want in their house is crazy.

9 Likes

You sound like the problem and reason for her 6 months of stress. So she finally snapped. And you still playing a victim. Please cut them off and see what life is like on your own.

2 Likes

Ask her if she would be ok watching the kids at your house. They have all of their things at your house, so maybe you can explain that they are more comfortable there. Try to resolve without making the dog the issue. You have the right to have boundaries and concerns, but when it comes to a pet that lives in someone’s home who is helping you, it can be a touchy situation. The dog lives there, so I can see why your mother in law would get upset with your request, but I do 100% understand. I would just present a solution without being argumentative, because it does come down to the fact that she is helping you when she doesn’t have to.

Did you like when she came into your home acting crazy? No? Well does your child go into the dogs home acting crazy? Even if you don’t own a dog and never will, you still need to teach your kids to respect a dog and their space. If kids are coming to my house that haven’t been here I meet them out front with my dogs. Because this is my dogs home and their space, they protect their home. Outside is mutual grounds. While they meet I, myself will explain to the child how to act around the dog and to leave them alone if they are eating or laying down. I’ve also put work into my dogs where anyone can put their face in the bowl and they’ll back off until you move. But not everyone does that. because just like you might not have a dog, some people don’t and won’t have children. While I respect children and their parents if the child just is scared because my dogs are big and loud, I’ll put them up. But ONLY for children and the sole reason they are scared of the bark not because the child don’t understand to give the dog space. It’s our jobs as parents to watch them and teach them personal space for any person or animal in that case. Also if I’m watching a child, you need to understand that I will verbally correct your child when they are invading my dogs space. If a adult were to come and tell me put my dogs up, we’ll they can leave or we can sit outside during your visit. My dogs live here. You don’t. So the question is was the child teasing it with food or in its face while eating, or was the child doing nothing and the dog just bit? Also was it a nip trying to get food or aggressive bite that broke skin? My oldest got bit twice in the face and needed stitches both times. Never asked the owners to get rid of the dogs, just removed them and their dog from our visit list, even tho the dogs were aggressive in both situations, we watched the dogs just run up and attack her while she was on the couch and the other on the floor. Unfortunately the dogs were faster than we were. one was her father’s dog, he did get rid of and the other was a friend’s and they kept the dog. So Your options are deal with their choice in their home if you want them to babysit or find a new sitter and don’t visit them in their home. But she absolutely does not have to babysit your child. Grandma or not. It’s your child, your responsibility. Moral of the story, Dog owners need to be responsible for their dogs actions and knowing their dog and when to put them up, and parents need to be responsible for teaching their children and being responsible for the child’s actions around any animal. You feel like you don’t need to do that and a child should be able to do whatever they want, don’t be around dogs. PERIOD! It’s that simple.

5 Likes

It’s their home and you can’t tell them what to do in their own home. It’s probably time for you to find another babysitter.

It’s her house. Don’t have her watch your kids.

With all due respect if she is watching them at her house and has animals.them animals should be free to walk around there house.if its possible have them go to your house.you cant expect them to keep there animals put away its not fair to the dog.i would look at different solutions before you blow things out of proportion.also the kids as i hate to say it need to try and learn boundaries with the dogs.if you feel unsafe with the dogs simply dont have them babysit

I’d be finding different child care and my kids would only go over there when I’m present. The dog’s more important and my kids are a problem? Problem solved! We’ll see ya when we see ya.

8 Likes

Her house her rules - she probably thinks of her dogs as family members- you are lucky your in laws will watch them. You could be paying for child care out of your pocket. I’d say if they are going to watch your kids why not at your house - your house your rules- respect goes both ways young one.

3 Likes

I mean if you don’t like it, find another babysitter. Her dog bit OVER FOOD. Which means it resource guards and your child shouldn’t be approaching ANY animal while eating. :+1:

9 Likes

You was the one being disrespectful

5 Likes

I’m team MIL
Your kids are going to her house ,you can’t start telling them how to run their house

Don’t like it then pay a sitter!
You planned a baby not your MIL

6 Likes

I don’t think your being disrespectful by asking to not have the dog around your kid but it is her house. The fact they her first response was to blame you & your kids for all her stress says she’s not in the babysitting for the right reasons. If she’s throwing it in your face because your advocating for your child’s safety then you need to find a sitter who can at the very least empathize with that. Just find a new sitter. It’s her house yes, but you also have a right to say I don’t think my child is safe. Period.

3 Likes

Don’t send your kids over there,she doesn’t even care for their well being and why agree to watch them if they stress her out so much. Cut her off

3 Likes
  1. Not ur dog
  2. All dogs will bite when it comes to food.
  3. It’s their house and their rules.
4 Likes

Again I’ll comment because people are so rude, your kids should be number one to their grandparents. Putting the whole animal issue aside, she’s complaining and acting stressed. Who knows how that could be spilling out on to your child. They know when someone is getting irritated or annoyed with them because they are people.
Now with the dog thing;
I know dogs can be territorial over their food and as your baby gets older they’ll know not to interfere with them while eating. It seems like a temporary issue but if she has a problem with it then she does :woman_shrugging:t2: try to find someone else. My grandparents and my daughters grandparents all have a dog at least and one of them is so kind and friendly so it doesn’t matter, and the other one they respectfully gate one half of the house for them so she doesn’t get tackled. Nothing wrong with the dogs they’re just excited. Your mil should feel the same way. Small children come before dogs and if the DOGS can’t deal then the DOG needs to be put away while the child is there.

Ur not wrong for protecting your kids and cut them off!!!

I see everyine going off on the mom about having rules about someone elses dog but do you all not realise that is her childrens grandparents? They shouldnt be saying that shit about their grandchildern nor should they be more worried about a dog then their grandbabies safty. She knew her dog had bit her grandbaby so why be a bitch about having the dog in another room for the safety or her grandchild.

My mother’s dog bit my daughter once. But I don’t demand that he be locked away in his own home. I have even allowed them to bring him everytime they come for a weekend visit. My kid got bit because of their own actions and they learned. They have their own dogs so they know that they have to behave respectfully around dogs or face the consequences of not doing so. I refuse to expect my mother to lock up her dog or leave him behind over a one time incident that was a direct result of my child’s actions.
Then again I also don’t expect that my kids grandparents should be babysitting my kids simply because they’re their grandparents. They raised their children. They aren’t responsible for mine. Its up to me to find adequate sitters.
If the situation was stressing me then I would simply find a different sitter and be done.

But when she said it’s been the most stressful six months watching your kids to me that sounds like you don’t respect your mil and her feelings. You think only of your own mental health issues. You’re a grown adult and need to remember that kids are wild and stressful for some older people and if the situation is to much then YOU need to be a parent and say you know what this is to much on my in laws let me find a different arrangement and my mother in law can go back to being a grandmother instead of a stressed sitter who clearly feels obligated to watch the kids for you.

Bottom line is you need to stop using your mental health as an excuse to take advantage of others and demand them to do things a certain way in their own home simply because you don’t want to be bothered with finding other arrangements or teaching your kid manners and proper behavior.

4 Likes

They should respect your boundaries as a parent and if its so awful for her to see her grandkids then maybe at least take a break since its too much for her to handle being a respectful human being and a grandmother. Once she gets her shit together then she can see the kids again.

Ever since, you’ve asked them to put the dog up? How about ever since… you should find another babysitter. #1 my dogs wouldn’t go up for any reason. I’d personally tell you to find another babysitter and not because I love my dogs more etc… but because this is OUR HOME. An occasional visit where the dog is put up for a few hours would be okay but if it’s a daily babysitting thing and you still expect her to keep her dog in HER house put up because you still expect HER to babysit your kid then nope.

I wouldn’t keep your kid from the grandparents but I would most definitely find another babysitter and only visit with you around. Respect everyone on all grounds. I understand your worry but I also understand that’s their home and why should THEY make arrangements to accommodate YOU? because I sure wouldn’t, unless it’s an occasional thing then I’d put my dog up. If I were babysitting and the parent had an issue with my dog, wellllllp oh well. Find someone else.

3 Likes

It her house her rules. If you don’t like it it’s only your choice that you have the right to do anything about. You can ask or state your preference but her choice to accept or reject. Then it’s your choice to accept or reject her as a babysitter.

So I’ve specifically taught my children to not go around animals while they’re eating. I don’t care whose animal it is, they don’t go near them when they’re eating. Maybe it’s time you teach your child the same.🤷

3 Likes

Find a new sitter and just let the kids go around them when your available to supervise

You don’t get to tell her what to do in her own house. Don’t like it then find a new sitter

5 Likes

No dogs around my kids if they have ever given me a single reason to worry

3 Likes

Simple…daycare or another source…Not in-laws…problem solved

2 Likes

Well, if my dog bit someone in my house, I would make sure to keep my dog outside or separated somewhere in the house. This is to protect the person who got bit from getting bit again. I’m not sure why there’s so much anger in this story or why your MIL feels she needs to defend herself. Maybe the way things were said caused her to get defensive. Also, if she’s feeling really stressed out since she started watching your kids then that’s a BIG RED FLAG for you. She may still agree to watch them because she feels pressured or just guilty. You should really consider finding another person to babysit. She really doesn’t have to watch them and there’s some resentment there. Just read between the lines.

3 Likes

It looks and sounds as if you were waiting for something like this to happen. The extra push u wanted to have the excuse to keep ur kids away.

1. No you’re not wrong - a dog bit your kid
  2. I’d establish new boundaries: if you’d like us to visit, the dog needs to be relaxing in a different room or outside during visits. Also they shouldn’t be babysitting for you to the point of exhaustion and the ask is excessive if they’re not enjoying their time together. Find different support.
1 Like

I wouldn’t want my kids staying with someone like that. She gonna choose a dog over a child? Who in their right mind would do that especially if the dog was vicious toward that kid.

5 Likes

Its her house, but I wouldn’t want the dog around my kid either, find a new babysitter. Let things cool down and leave it alone, don’t make it a fight if it doesn’t have to b e.

1 Like

I would NOT allow my kids around the dog period . Why don’t you just let the in laws come to your home or you be present at their home to make sure the kids aren’t around dog . I wouldn’t trust the dog at all . You need to find your own nanny to come to your house , also . Certainly don’t cut them out of your lives . The kids need their grandparents.

Find someone else to watch your children. They are grandparents not babysitters. This way you can monitor the kids when you are there to visit.

2 Likes

At my house my dogs live there. You’re just visiting

1 Like

Pay a babysitter if you don’t like it.

Find someone else to watch your child. Allow them to come to your home to visit the child. That keeps your child safe and their dog from being out down for attacking a chils

2 Likes

Hire someone to watch your kids. It is her home shes looking after the kids so it will be her rules even if it’s your kids. You’re both right so I suggest get someone else to look after your kids.

2 Likes

I feel like it is their house so it would be way too hard for them to watch your kids and constantly keep the dog away. I wouldn’t want the dog around my kids either, but you also need to understand it is their house. If you do not want the dog around you need to find other arrangements.

1 Like

Was the kid teasing the dog with the food if so that’s the child’s phone not the dogs

1 Like

Don’t let your kids over there? Problem solved

2 Likes

That is her dogs home. If you dont want your kids around the dog then have her watch your kids at your house or find someone else to watch your kids🤷‍♀️

5 Likes

My mil had a dog (chow) that has bit almost everyone and I told them straight up if my son comes over to visit that dog can be put up until we leave. I will not let the dog attack my son. They did put the dog up because they knew it was mean and also wanted to see their grandson :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’d go with only supervised visits. Sometimes dog people think animals can do no wrong

2 Likes

In Texas we say buckle up butter cup. You had the kids you tend to the kids. Your MIL raised her kids you raise yours. You know the have a dog so if you don’t want your kids around it keep them home. EVERYONE HAS BAD DAYS. You are stronger than you think you are. Kids need their mom. No excuses! be the mom they need to to be. On the dog issue…I would not have a dog if it bit any kid. Keep your kids home with you for their safety

5 Likes

Don’t have her watch your kids…problem solved

5 Likes

I’m going to say your wrong because you’re kind of teaching your kids to fear the dog. Regardless of what happened they’re clearly not getting rid of their dog. If anything this is an opportunity to teach them boundaries and how to act, react etc. around animals. & an opportunity for your in-laws to train their dog not to snap at people. This is literally a problem that can be solved and should have been instead of escalating it to where it is now. Y’all BOTH have to be willing to put in the time & effort or you won’t get anywhere.

3 Likes

If a dog bit your kid over food it was probably an accident so lock up the dog when they’re eating but don’t have her watch your kids then not have her dog around at all. At my house my dog gets locked up during meal time but after that he lives there and I’m not sorry about that thats his home not anyone else’s and if they don’t like it they can leave

4 Likes

Very young kids and dogs don’t mix, period. It doesn’t matter how well “trained” the dog is either. Kids also need to be taught how to respect animals and their space and to treat them gently and kindly. Just find alternate childcare, this will probably fix the issue, sounds like alot is going on in the current circumstances.

2 Likes

This group is brutal. Every post I see the poster is always bashed, and the people commenting aren’t even doing it respectfully. Try talking to your MIL after both of you have calmed down and come up with a resolution that fits both of your wants/needs. I hope things get sorted out love!

4 Likes

First off, thats the dogs home. Not your kids. And secondly I’d really be looking into what it was that I was doing that made someone so incredibly miserable due to my and my kids presence

So you really expect her to put up her dog while your kids are over?? Its the dogs house. If you dont want them around the dog then get a babysitter. There are plenty of them that dont have animals.

I would never have her watch my kids again and I would never allow my kids to be around a dog that bit them, ever. That dog would be lucky to be alive if it bit my kids.

2 Likes

Sometimes people do need help. You guys don’t know her situation. The dog should of been put to sleep in my opinion.

I would find alternate child care not only because of the dog but because she is apparently miserable doing so. I wouldn’t want someone so unhappy watching my children.

Why have the kids over there at all??? Hire people to watch the kids.

You aren’t wrong for not wanting the dog around your kids after being bitten, HOWEVER… Disrespectful is expecting her dog who lives there not to be around your kids. Dont want the dog around your kids?? Look after them yourself or find alternative care. Your kids? YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. She hurt your feelings by telling you how it is? How entitled are you!? You probably hurt her feelings by being so god damn disrespectful.

Shes doing you a FAVOUR by watching your kids. ACT GRATEFUL.

I would find a new babysitter. I wouldnt want my kids around a dog that bite them.

4 Likes

U can’t expect her 2 give up her dog. She has 2 options: she can come 2 ur house where there is no dog or she can respectfully put it up when ur kids are around. Depending on laws in ur state the dog has 2 be quarantined 4 30 days after 1st bite and put down after 2nd. I’ve been bitten by dogs that were not mine and my kids have been bit by my mother’s dog so I know the feeling. However she has a point too she doesn’t have 2 watch the kids and u can find another sitter or daycare 2 put them in if she just refuses 2 respect ur wishes because after all it is her house. U get ur way supervising the dog around the kids when u have time if u find another sitter but she still gets the visits.

Was the child messing with the dog when it was eating and that’s why it got bit? If so then the child needs to be taught not to mess with an eating animal. Children have to be taught to respect animals.
If it’s her house you can’t expect her to keep the dog up the entire time your kid is there. If you don’t like that she won’t keep the dog up up find different child care.
Your ultimatum is pretty harsh for letting a dog around a child but if you feel the need to cut them off over that then you do you. But don’t try and act like you’re wrong when you regret it or it causes problems with your husband.

4 Likes

Find a different sitter— maybe you share sitting with another mom

In my opinion she shouldn’t make it seem like a problem to watch them and complain about how stressful it is. Second does she not realize you could have contacted the right people and had that dog quarantined or possibly euthanized for biting your kid? If she doesn’t want that to happen I’d suggest her keeping the dog away from your kids. My mil has a dog that we all know is food aggressive and aggressive about certain things and they lock her up every time we’re over bc that’s the right thing to do.

1 Like

No animal is more valuable than my child. Free childcare isn’t worth my kiddos safety

7 Likes

Your husbands a Pu$$y for not taking up for you tell that mother in law to go to hell and you need to leave that marriage now. And the first time that dog bit my kid would have been his last because I would have snapped his neck. The next time the mother in law comes up in YOUR house letting her tits hang tell her get the fu€k out of your house and if she don’t like it she “can just live with it” :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Sounds like emotions were running high. Take some time if possible to call down and rapprochement her and tell her calmly that you love her and you know you both love the kids and your afraid for their safety because the dog has already bitten your son. Tell her that you do not want the dog and your children together because of that. She doesn’t have to agree with your reasons. But she is right, she doesn’t have to watch your children so maybe be a little more appreciative and sympathetic about it. She loves both her dog and grand kids and asking her to see fault in her dog might be hard for her. Be kind, be more rational than emotional when asking and have that conversation for the well being of the whole family. If that dog keeps biting it will have to be put down and that would be horrible also, but that dog is her baby too. Fine lines and all

Okay so there are a lot of supporting details missing but I guess in the end it doesn’t really matter. Find a new baby sitter.
Any dog that has bitten a child, no matter what, should be separated from children. Not only for the safety of the children but the dog as well honestly.
While children should be taught how to read the body language of animals and when to leave them alone, at the end of the day they are children. We as adults should be protecting them from risks like this.
Dogs are powerful animals and have the ability to literally kill people. I wouldn’t be willing to take the risk of having someone who is dismissive of that fact after it displayed aggression towards a child.
So often you read a story about how the family dog attacked and killed a kid. The family never thought that the dog was capable of such violence but they paid the price with the life of their child.

I wouldn’t cut off contact just yet, I’d just no longer allow her to see the children at her home unsupervised.

My husband and I had a big dog for 10 years before we had our first baby. He was like our first kid truth be told. Once I became pregnant, we had a long serious discussion that we didn’t wanna end up being those parents on the news whose baby/toddler was mauled to death by the family dog. Bear in mind we had raised this dog from literally 8 weeks. He was my guardian and protector when my husband worked two jobs for 2 years. I would have trusted this dog to protect me with his life… and I know he would have protected my baby’s with his life… I just couldn’t bet her life on him. So we never let them be in a room alone together, Myself or my husband was always there. He never gave any bad signs. But as a parent, I would choose my child over an animal I loved and nurtured if need be. Sadly he passed away from old age/heart failure around the time she was 10 months old. I miss him everyday, but with how she is as a toddler, I am happy he was spared her aggravation.

The OP mother in law choosing a dog is some low shit in my opinion. What if the bite had been worse? It’s the what ifs for me

Your kids come first so if you are uncomfortable with the situation take action and move on.

It’s her house. Find other child care

3 Likes

Well, I was in a similar situation with my own elderly dog when my October baby was born. He’s as perfect dog- house trained, quiet, sweet- just does not like children. Gets nervous, is on edge and tries his best to avoid but… Kids. So he went to live with my mother. She LOVES that dog (as much as I do) but gets very nervous when I ask her to babysit at her house because of his reactions to the kiddo. He has nipped towards her, but not actual bit anyone. We’ve sat down and agreed that the dog and the kids should not be together in the same room unless we have all hands on deck. Sometimes that means the dog hangs out in her room for an hour or two- it’s not the end of the world.

Maybe it was different because it was my kid and my dog… but he’s officially hers and she’s terrified something will happen on her watch so she is receptive to my suggestions. If she wasn’t, I would probably only ask her to watch them at my house where I have more control over the environment.

1 Like

If you know they have pets you can’t always expect them to be put up. They choice to have a pet . So teach your kids how to be around them

2 Likes

If it were me. NO DOG Pick see my child with out the dog or don’t see my kid. If you love your dog more then you love my child then you don’t need to see my child

1 Like

Time for you to make other arrangements for child care

2 Likes

Should have more context on why the dog bit the child. It just says over food. If you asked me to keep my dog locked up because your kid can’t leave him alone while he’s eating, then no… teach your kids how to respect animals. If the dog tried taking the kids food, maybe put the dog up while the child is eating. No reason to keep him locked up the whole time your child is there. I’d just find a new babysitter, because asking her to keep her dog locked up for however long at their house isn’t right, IMO. But she sounds like she’s being a little over the top & shouldn’t be speaking that way about her grandkids. That alone would have made me find another sitter anyways, not even considering the issue with the dog.

No your not wrong for wanting your children protected from a dog but I would definitely find a new babysitter or have her watch the kids at your house your kids do not have to go over to her house because of the dogs but she does have a point she doesn’t have to watch them but she is disrespecting you

Same thing happened to me, bit my daughter. I have made it clear her dogs are not to be around my children. Then the first time my son is there after she wants to take him to see thr dog. Ya no. Thankfully her husband stepped in and was like no before I lost it

If they wanna choose a dog over the safety of their own grandchildren that’s a shame

1 Like

Kinda feel like their house so it’s their rules and if the dog is family to them and you don’t want your kids around then You should find a new sitter and just visit in laws when you can monitor kids-would you want them to come in your house and tell you what to do?

2 Likes

So find different child care…her dog shouldn’t have to be locked up in its own home. I wouldn’t “cut them off” because that’s a bit much. And just make a rule that ur child can only go over there if you are with them to keep an eye on the dog situation.

2 Likes

Look, this is just an all around crappy situation. If you ask your MIL not to let the kids around the dog, she should respect your wishes. But it also sucks to cut them out of your kids lives over a dog. I would definitely find someone else to babysit them though, and just let them see the kids for family events for a bit. With all that being said, if my dog bit ANY kid, I would not ever let that dog around ANY kids again, especially the child who was previously bitten.

1 Like

I would personally not have them watch my children if I was concerned about their dog, accidents happen even when everyone is fully being cautious so if it was that big of a concern I wouldn’t take that chance.

Watch your own kids or pay a babysitter. I wouldn’t put my dogs up for you or your kids either🤷‍♀️

So don’t take your kids there :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

1 Like

When you say she has been watching your kids for 6 months what do you mean by that?

Wouldn’t be around them except for family gatherings. I’d make other arrangements for my children as to who and how and when they are “watched”

So relationship would be over with my in-laws if they ever spoke to me that way and on the part were she said she doesn’t have to watch your children at all O my lord that is her grandchildren. My mil would be over the moon if she got to watch her grandchildren and I no if I said no dogs around the kids she would respect that. Wow she just sounds like a rude biddy if you ask me

Who would choose a dog over a grandchild?! Also, if a dog bit my kid, they would never be around that dog again. Ever.

Find a different sitter. It’s not working for either of you. She did what she could. People saying pick kids over a dog. They aren’t her kids and I’m sure she loves them and not all dogs are kid friendly or kids aren’t dog friendly. I just am thinking that’s it’s not super convenient to watch kids, even your own, grandkids etc. so for some to say “don’t let her watch them” I find it funny when she’s probably being inconvenienced to watch them and doing the family a favor.

1 Like

Our dog bit a grandchild once that had to have stitches because she has anxiety issues around children and strangers, so now when small children or strangers are around I put her in a room with a bed, food and water to protect people and keep her from being stressed. Best for all because we could loose the dog over another bite that we can prevent by realizing her anxiety triggers and level. I wouldn’t stay away from family because of this.Your anxiety level is high around the dog and maybe your mother in laws might be when taking care of your children when you are not around, doesn’t mean she doesn’t love or want to see them. I would try to work out different child care and have a talk about your fears, everyone’s stress levels and come to an understanding and make decisions based on what is best for everyone but keep family togetherness.

1 Like