Are hot tubs dangerous for pregnant women?

I want someone’s opinion. I have a question. So my mom and grandma told me that it’s actually healthy for a pregnant woman to sit in a hot tub and that it won’t harm the baby. ( I love taking semi-hot baths when I can) and I can sit in a hot tub for hours if someone lets me, but I need to know from other people’s experiences if it’s actually healthy for me to be in a hot tub. I read online that it can be super dangerous even if you sit in there for 10 minutes. I just want your opinion on it.

41 Likes

Yes. Please don’t submerge your belly in the hot tub. You can sit on the side and have your legs and feet in. But the temp is too hot for your baby.

5 Likes
2 Likes

I would trust only a drs opinion

9 Likes

Yes do not go into a hot tub!

I was always told no. If you don’t make the water too hot it should be fine tho

A hot tub and even a hot bath is a huge no no bcuz it maked the blood pressure go up.

2 Likes

No it’s not safe. It can relax your muscles too much and cause you to go into labor.
Water birth is different, at the point you’re trying to get that baby out.

I was told it’s dangerous. I’m sure you’ll get lots of opinions. Talk to your dr or just don’t. It’s not worth the risk.
Walking and stretching are great for relaxing and healthy. :slight_smile:
Best wishes for you and your baby.

1 Like

Your not suppose to take hot showers and let it hit the belly… so no it’s not safe I’ve had 4 kids 4 different doctors all said stick your feet in keep your body out

Not healthy at all. 10-15m MAX. It’s hard, I know. It can easily increase your uterus temperature- especially between 101-110° & can cause health issues. It’s one of those things that’s not worth the risk.

1 Like

Hot tubs (jacuzzis) and saunas are no good because of the constant high temp, can be dangerous for baby. A hot bath that cools down as you’re in it is ok.

1 Like

What makes it unsafe is that it raises your core body temp. I wouldn’t risk it.

A warm bath at home is perfectly fine, a hot tub gets WAY too hot… a hot tub will raise ur body temp making it unsafe for baby

2 Likes

I was told to limit my baths, as it puts you at risk for infection.
That being said, I did soak in a warm bath several times nearing the end of my pregnancy because it was the only relief I could get for back pain.

1 Like

No, it can depress your blood pressure.

No! Stick your feet in but that’s it

“Sitting in a hot tub or sauna can raise your body temperature to a level that can be dangerous for your developing baby.” (Googled your question)

I never sat in a hot tub while pregnant with my first, and I’m pregnant with my second and won’t do it. But It wouldn’t hurt to ask your Dr.!

5 Likes

Nooo I wouldn’t even take the chance

1 Like

I have a hot tubs and 3 kids, all ten years apart and at no time in those years did my doctor ever say it was okay to go. They told me no each time! A Luke warm bath for less than ten minutes is what I was told for less than ten minutes. I would ask your doctor anyways!

1 Like

My obgyn said no longer than 10 min

1 Like

Very dangerous. First of all it can raise your temperature which is bad for baby. Secondly you dont want a bubble getting inside…major problems there.

Huge huge no no I was told to stay out of hot water like hot tubs

I was told yes by my doctor because it’s like slow boiling the stuffing you stuff inside a turkey. It will cause brain damage if your inside temperature, which is higher than outside temperature gets too high. I was also told to be careful with hot baths, I had sciatica so it felt better to sit in a hot bath of Epsom salt. But told to only do the legs, don’t let the bath go up too high. But baths aren’t as bad because the water temp cools quickly whereas a hot tub is designed to stay at a certain temp.

It raises your body temp A LOT which can affect the baby… It would be almost like a sudden fever or something. Better to avoid the hot tubs all together. A warm bath is a safer bet as it wont be as hot and will not stay hot for long periods of time like a hot tub!

I was told same thing

No. It can cause your temp to rise above 102 which can harm a baby, especially in the first trimester. It has nothing to do with hitting your belly, or relaxing your muscles, or anything like that. It has all to do with raising your body temperature to unsafe levels for a developing baby.

Not healthy at all, they are really dirty, and cause a lot of infections especially for women.

I did with mine but I have a serious problem with low blood pressure so raising it was a good thing with me but never more than 10 minutes at a time. I took breaks in the regular pool 10 minutes in the hot tub 15-20 in the regular pool

I took warm semi hot baths, and found it soothing. No hot tubs. The water gets too hot. I’d say strict no, your body temp can raise too much.

No!
Even if it was, I was always so overheated I couldn’t imagine getting into a hot tub!

Are your mom and grandma doctors?

3 Likes

You’re basically boiling your baby. Huge hell no

1 Like

You can dip your toes and calves in — but I wouldn’t personally sit in there and enjoy it

Its not safe for baby… hot baths are a nono as well, i was told by my doctor that it can harm baby.

1 Like

A lot of bacteria… prob ask your doctor instead of fb they know your background and health, we don’t.

I always heard it wasn’t safe

I heard it wasn’t safe for baby

Not safe… Raises your body temp. Even a hot bath can be unsafe for a developing baby

If it is turned down then it should be fine. My neighbor turns hers down (like to 86) in the summer and its actually kind of cool. If it is semi warm then yes its safe… but if not then no absolutely not

I sat in a hot tub during the beginning of my pregnancy (didnt know I couldnt) and I after about 10 minutes I started feeling dizzy and nauseous ended up going to er because the dizziness wasnt going away they told me absolutely no hot tubs while pregnant you can harm your baby if you’re in there too long.

1 Like

The risk for infection is high so I’d pass on a hot tub while pregnant

I mean they don’t have warnings outside of public hot tubs for nothing.

3 Likes

No it can cause you to miscarry.

My doc actually told me you’ll feel bad way before it would do any damage to baby.

Warm baths are ok, but to hot can be harmful.

1 Like

It’s not safe for baby. It makes their body temperature increase to an unsafe level. Hot baths aren’t good as well. Hot showers are fine since you aren’t sitting in long enough for your body temperature to rise. Remember it’s like if you have a fever the baby has a fever.

1 Like

I have had a hot tub for years and my mom had one when I was growing up. In owners manual and posted as warning on my tub-No Pregnant women, not safe. I have been told over the years major No No. not sure the science behind it

2 Likes

I was told not even to use a heating pad on my abdomen while pregnant. No super hot baths. My doctor said no to hot tubs as well. When in doubt, always ask your doctor

5 Likes

The temp has to be low. If it’s to high you can severely over heat.

1 Like

Anything too hot or too cold on the abdomen is unsafe in pregnancy. External temperature change internal temperatures.

1 Like

Really unsafe!! Both for the heat and the bacteria that can live in the hot tub

1 Like

Yeah, the temperature can be dangerous for the baby… you shouldn’t even do too hot of baths or use heating pads!

Raising your body temp past a certain point is dangerous during pregnancy and it is why super hot baths or hot tub aren’t recommended

I was told by my doctor hot tubs are very dangerous while pregnant she said it’s not safe for baby she said putting my feet in was okay but that was it

1 Like

Not safe for baby. You can maybe stick your toes in for a few minutes but that’s about it.

2 Likes

They are not “safe” (per say) for non-pregnant ladies. Sitting in a breeding heaven for germs that have open access to our internal organs; leads to UTI, bladder infections and yeast infections.

1 Like

I have gone in the hot tub earlier in pregnancy when babe wasn’t so close to the outside. If I were to go in again, I would be sure the temp was low and would only go in for a couple mins at a time. You don’t want to overheat babe

Turn it down and use it for short periods. If u get too hot get out. Its all about common sense

Hot tub I’d suggest sitting on edge and giving your legs a soak.
Regular baths I did for all my pregnancies.

Do not take a hot bath. Short warm are baths are okay.

It raises your body temperature! And your belly is underwater and not your head. PLEASE, and I can NOT stress this enough, PLEASE listen to doctors over idiots, no matter how closely related those idiots are!

3 Likes

My doctors have told me “Absolutely Not,” for hot-tubs and only take warm baths, not hot.

3 Likes

Hot tubs are dangerous for pregnancy but semi hot baths are fine

1 Like

The risk is in YOUR body temperature. When a hot tub is set over 100° you body temp raises significantly which is harmful to the baby. However…I have a home hot tub and my doctor said I could set it at 85° and keep a close eye on my body temp not allowing your core temp over 101°. That being said…I decided to not risk it. I still take hot baths in my tub but I don’t fill it up all the way. Only over my legs to help with my RLS. If you need some muscle,swelling or stress relief. I highly recommend scented Epsom salt baths. They have been a life saver for me.

3 Likes

Hot water can drop your blood pressure dangerously and can make you dehydrated if you overheat. It is not safe.

My dr told me no hot tubs!

1 Like

I would ask your doctor.

Not ok! We turned ours down to 96 degrees so I could still enjoy it.

No hot tubs!!! It will raise your body temperature to dangerous levels for the baby

My midwife told me I could and advised it for my. Back ache but needed turn the heat down xxx

1 Like

Turn the heat down and limit your times. Moderation is key.

1 Like

I asked my midwife when I was pregnant with my first child, she said the reason why it is dangerous is because it raises your blood pressure/body temperature.
She said I could get in one but in 10 min intervals and to get out if I started feeling dizzy/nauseous, she also said if the jacuzzi allows you to set the temperature to set it as low as it will go.
I sat in there about 8 mins at a time and would get out and just soak my feet and would get back in… you will feel it if it starts to effect you.

1 Like

No hot tubs! Warm baths are okay but you need to be conscious of your body temp.

No it is not safe. Your body temp will rise therefore so will babys.

It cant be above a certain temperature. Same way with baths

Yes its extremely dangerous. It raises the temp of you thus raising the temp of the baby.

Ask your Dr. Best thing to do i think

I tried going into hot springs when I was pregnant and it wasn’t comfortable

Yes they’re dangerous. That’s when when you go on vacation it has the warning that states if pregnant should not use.

Hot tub isn’t safe. Ask your obgyn they will even tell you it’s not safe.

No hot tubs when you are pregnant. Every doctor says it. Think about it. Why would you want to put your belly in extremely hot water? It raises your body temperature dangerously. This is why doctors say no hot baths…same thing!

1 Like

I was told no they are to hot, even hot baths are not good for you…I was told that by two different OBs

1 Like

I refused to risk it no matter how badly I wanted to relax in one.

1 Like

No, hot tubs are not safe!

1 Like

My OBGyN has always told me it was dangerous and to avoid it. I have heard you can turn it down and then sit in it but it has to be below 100

1 Like

Avoid hot tubs and taking hot baths.

1 Like

No!! You’re not even suppose to take hot baths!

3 Likes

Not a wise idea extreme temps WILL harm your baby, I am a nurse so i have some idea of what i am talking about

3 Likes

The only opinion you should listen to is your drs :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I was advised against it. I was super paranoid when I was preggo and avoided anything remotely dangerous or advises against. :woman_shrugging:t2:

I was told not to if youre pregnant. Maybe a few minutes here and there but thats it. Luckily when I was pregnant and went swimming, the hot tub was at a cold bath water temp and it felt wonderful cuz I love me a cooling bath. Perfect temp!

I personally did not. If your body temperature raises above 100 degrees it is seriously not good for baby.

1 Like

It can really harm your baby if your body temperature rises too much. Stick to warm baths for short periods of time.

Please don’t. Very unsafe for babies and even baths aren’t recommended while pregnant

Hot tubs are not safe during pregnancy my midwife told me this as I have a hot tub and wanted to know if I could go in it x

Hot tubs are not safe because they raise your body temperature… you will be putting your unborn child at risk of damaging their brain and spin among other defects that can form while your body temperature is raised… sounds like you need to tell your mother and grandmother that if they don’t have a PhD that they don’t need to be giving out advice on what’s safe of pregnant women or not!

10 Likes

Being in a hot tub while pregnant made me almost lose my son.

5 Likes

I took semi warm baths to help with Braxton hick contractions and honestly I took a bath every night to help comfort my body and my baby turned out just fine just don’t over do it with heat …

2 Likes

I was always told that a short time was ok, but to get out when I started feeling hot.