Are ice baths safe while pregnant?

First, I am 7 weeks pregnant with baby number 2. I would ask on my local mom’s group, but we are still keeping it a secret for now. I have tried looking online but can not find any information. Is it safe to take an Ice bath while pregnant? The only thing I am finding is not to take a hot bath, and to stay away from saunas, etc. Nothing on an ice bath. Extremely sore from a 1/2 marathon and want to soak in an ice bath.

15 Likes

Anything that drastically changes your body temperature likely warrants asking your doctor just to be safe.

14 Likes

I would say no since it makes your temperature drop quickly

Just soak in Epsom salt

6 Likes

A simple call ti your dr office would answer that faster than Google, tyoeing this out and waiting fir responses. Plus you would get an answer you know you can turst

2 Likes

I would suggest icing only the sore areas…

Words from a doc unless ur to the point of becoming hypothermic its safe

Call your doctor to ask they would know

I doubt its okay. But ask your doctor.

I wouldnt do an ice bath

1 Like

You can call your obgyn and they can let you know :relaxed:

Talk to you doctor not Facebook.

Yes they are perfectly fine. You’re not going to want a hot bath as raising your body temperature too much for too long can negatively affect a fetus, a comfortably warm bath for a short period of time is fine, its been my only relief from SPD pains this pregnancy (I am 30 weeks but pain started at 14 weeks).

1 Like

I would not. But a simple call to your OB would be beneficial.

1 Like

I mean swimming is perfectly safe and even encouraged for inducing labor, getting exercise, etc and the water can be in the low 70’s. I don’t know if sitting in actual ice water is a good idea but you could still take a cold bath. Even hot baths are fine, just not hot tubs. Ask your doctor though :slightly_smiling_face:

I personally wouldn’t risk it

1 Like

I swam in freezing cold spring water for my body aches and my doctor loved it. Def ask, but couldn’t imagine why it would be a problem.

Talk to your doctor.

That would be a great question to ask your DOCTOR not facebook!

1 Like

Call your doctor! Only way to be safe

I take a hot.bath every night. The dr said it was completely fine

Why not just call the doctors office and ask. It would take 2 minutes. Less time then looking online or reading these posts

Anything that drastically alters you body temperature is bad especially in early pregnancy when all the cells and stuff are developing

I wld be more concerned w running. I’m not pregnant anymore and still wouldn’t recommend it! :grin:

Any major change in body temp (sauna or ice baths) is dangerous for bub

I have no clue about this but I wouldn’t do it. Body temp might drop and could possibly hurt the baby.

2 Likes

I dont know either about this but i think it would be bad because the increase or decrease of body temp for you could possibly harm the baby.

3 Likes

Your body when pregnant has a harder time regulating your internal body temp. By submerging yourself into an ice bath you can risk an extreme drop in internal body temperature which wouldn’t be good for the baby.

5 Likes

Call your dr to ask. Thats a tough one

Absolutely not! You can soak in a warm bath but not ice. Your body temp drops which is dangerous for the baby. They say not to take hot baths cause your body temp rises which is dangerous for the baby as well! But most importantly just call your OB and ask them!

2 Likes

Seek medical advice NOT fb or other mom groups :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

23 Likes

I would call a healthcare professional to find out for sure oh, but I’m pretty sure the answer is no as your body core temperature will drop which could could be dangerous to your unborn baby

Sorry but am I the only one that is thinking WTF kind of question is this to ask on facebook ??? Surely common sense tells you to ask your doctor or midwife :hushed:

11 Likes

I think it’s valid. I have a lot of questions where your not sure to call Dr or not. You can’t call them every time you have a question. It is never stupid of you ask a question.

21 Likes

Talk to your doctor, not Facebook

3 Likes

Talk to your ob about it

You did a half marathon, if an ice bath will make you feel better, just do it, or take tylenol.

5 Likes

Nothing like making a woman feel crap about asking a simple question!!

23 Likes

I would probably ask an actual doctor not Facebook physicians

7 Likes

I say go for it. I’m one of those terrible pregnant people who take super hot baths, eat cold deli meats, drink coffee and soda and eat my steaks medium rare and the ultimate no no is I smoked the first 12weeks with my first(then quit cold turkey) and 5 weeks with my second(also quit cold turkey) they both came out perfectly healthy no medical problems or extra days in the hospital. IM NOT PERFECT but the list of things women can and cant do is beyond ridiculous. You just ran a half marathon WHILE PREGNANT if this is what will help you relax I say go for it. It’s an ice bath I doubt you’ll stay in there longer than 10 minutes so no true harm will happen to the baby who isnt at the stage in pregnancy where they are trying to regulate their temps and get ready to enter the real world where they have to do that.

7 Likes

There is this run called max freeze it’s safe while you are pregnant. I checked first before using it during my last pregnancy, it seriously helps. I would get bad bad muscle spasms and pull muscles in my sleep and I would love on that stuff lol

Ive done it in the wilds so why not

It’s a weekday. Call your doctor. Don’t ask Facebook. :woman_facepalming:

9 Likes

Why not call your gyn and ask the nurse or doctor?

Yikes. I’d ask my dr about that one. The reason they say no hot bathes, suanas, etc is because they are far more common than ice bathes. What you are looking to avoid is a drastic change in your core temp. Call your dr.

1 Like

Here comes the Facebook doctors, lol…Girl just seek professional help with a doctor that knows you and your medical background.

4 Likes

Should be fine. Just dont hang out to long.

Call your obgyn, ask the question over the phone. If they dont know the answer right then, they will ask the doctor and call you back.

Doesn’t sound safe to me

1 Like

Please don’t pay attention to people who are criticizing you. While its a good idea to ask a doctor its also okay to get the opinion of other moms. I think at this point your pregnancy is still in its early stages so tiny shocks to the system like ice baths will not hurt. I’d take more precautions as the pregnancy proceeds but I’m sure you are aware of that. Also just remember your basal temperature will be higher so the bath will feel colder incase you need to adjust it.

4 Likes

So are we required to ask our dr every little question we have now? Instead of relying on other moms to not be rude and judgemental and give us honest answers instead of bugging our obs or drs for every question. Shit.

3 Likes

Sounds like it might not be a good idea. Id deffo call the doctor first just to be on the safe side. Ive never personally taken an ice bath myself pregnant or not lol.

Medical advice from non-medical people. Just no. Ask your OBGYN

I say ask a dr! I would think if water too hot is dangerous that too cold might be too!

She never said she would substitute Facebook for her Dr. but I’ve learned the most on my difficult parenting journey from other parents!!!
In fact if some of you read before you were jerks you would see that she doesn’t need to call her doctor. Several people have already told her what I’m gonna say. No. I don’t think you can take a cold bath. You shouldnt change your core temperature that much. It can contribute to birth defects.
I guarantee she already knows that she can also call her OB. :roll_eyes:

My doc advised me not to use an ice pack because I had that super itchy pregnancy rash and the itchiness was killing me. The cold makes your veins contract, limiting blood flow to baby. The rash was all over my stomach and chest.

1 Like

Some of you ladies are straight savage… lol

Noooo Please Don’t… Read This It Explains Why You Shouldn’t Take Ice Cold Baths

wow an admin should really go through these comments and delete all of these pathetic people. this is literally a moms group. your gonna bash a mom for asking a question, in a moms group?

6 Likes

Dont think anyone is criticising her question but who are we to answer if you dont know yourself for sure ??? What works for one dosent mean it works for all ?

I know that if you take a hot bath, your blood pressure can drop so I don’t know if it’s the other way round. That doesn’t mean it’s ok/isn’t ok. Definitely one for a medical professional x

I would say no as it can shock the boady but am not a dr xx

to be in the safe side seeing how you are carrying a human being your better off calling and asking a medical professional instead of asking people on the internet who may have no idea

5 Likes

No, extremes of temperature either way are to be avoided. No hot baths/jacuzzis or ice baths.

1 Like

Valid question. Idk the answer but some of y’all :expressionless::expressionless:

7 Likes

They say no to hot baths but I took them my whole pregnancy. Definitely no hot tubs though. I would say no to ice bath since it’s an extreme cold like a Jacuzzi hot tub is an extreme hot compared to a bath.

I use to work for an OBGYN. And Dr. C would say no. (Kudos for the marathon)

1/2 marathon girl congrats in my first weeks I felt so nauseous and dizzy I couldn’t get off my bed too fast.
And I asked this to my ob/gyn cause I had terrible cramps on my legs and my body hurt, and she said no hot tubs, and no cold baths, she said we can regulate our temperature from the outside and not the inside, and we can hurt the baby, but you can ask your own ob/gyn at the end everyone has a different opinion on this.

I would say no to any kind of bath. instead use ice cold towels or warm towels however you like and wrapping around your sore legs might help.

1 Like

Wooooow what a bunch of judgy bitches we have here. And y’all are raising your kids to have the same attitude, bless. :woman_facepalming:t3:. Some people don’t like to run to their physician for every little thing, so that means attack the poor soul that asked a general question to Facebook? What a shame.

3 Likes

I feel like if you are worried about doing the ice bath maybe soak a towel and freeze it then lay it over your back, ive done that with both hot and cold towels when my back hurts

Congrats on your half marathon! I would be safe and say no. Dr’s say no hot baths/hot tubs because of the rise of blood pressure to the baby. No to ice baths because your blood vessels would be restricted which would then mean less blood flow throughout your body and ultimate less blood flow to your baby. I would try pregnancy massage, Deep lotion. Frozen hand towels on problem areas alternating with heat. Best of luck to you! :slight_smile:

No sweetheart. Ice packs to one or two areas but not whole bod. Im sorry

No could cause asthma just like eating ice

Baths is because it raises your internal temp too much, so I would think ice baths should be fine.

I would contact your ob just to be sure but I think it is probably ok

1 Like

I would think lowering your temperature that much may not be wise either. I would look into it but you may want to just ice certain areas for short periods of time instead of doing an entire bath of it.

2 Likes

I would recommend Epsom salt bath an always ask your ob first

1 Like

I wouldn’t of thought so? But I’m not a professional.

I would call your ob to be completely safe. Even if you haven’t made an appt, you can ask for advice.

Um no… you could put your body into shock. :woman_facepalming:t3:

5 Likes

Why wouldn’t you ask your doctor this instead of Facebook?

11 Likes

I would call your ob

2 Likes

You can take a hot bath while pregnant. That’s outdated information. The reason they tell you to avoid hot tubs is infection from a public hot tub, and saunas is to avoid dehydration. Take your warm bath and feel better mama!

2 Likes

This is a question for your OB.

3 Likes

I would be contact your ob to make sure that is okay. Before you do it.

It says to keep yourself at body temperature xx

I wouldn’t risk the extreme body temp drop . For fear of any shock resulting . I recommend calling your ob/ midwife/ doula ( which ever it may be ) and ask them . Because they are trained in babies and know your body more specifically. As a mother of 4 I personally wouldn’t simply to be safe rather then sorry .

4 Likes

I took warm baths when pregnant. The doctor will tell you the temperature you can safely have your water if concerned. But I did through my pregnancy.

You can go swimming pregnant…

I’d call OB but I’d think not because a sudden drop in core temp cannot be good either.
I’d take a warm bath with epsom salt, stretch, and foam roll.

1 Like

I soaked my feet in ice water and had no issues

I took many hot baths while pregnant. I like to watch tv in my bathroom while i bathe :joy: dont take my advice i did many unorthodox shit while i was preggers

3 Likes

You need to soak in Epsom salts! I promise your aches will be gone

1 Like

Call or message your OB, everything is so sensitive that early on why risk it.

You can’t submerge your stomach into freezing temperatures. It can possibly cause shock to your baby.

1 Like

Do you not have a Dr?

5 Likes

Would you put your new born baby in an ice bath?

4 Likes

I really wouldn’t trust the advice of strangers, please ask your doctor.

9 Likes

I just do warm bath don’t want temperature dropping to low even put little cold but not ice bath never heard someone want ice bath but everyone has there prefences