Can a 6-year-old start puberty?

Has anyone’s 6/7 year old started puberty? I’ve noticed my soon to be 7 year old has had leg hair and today I looked at her armpits and she’s got some fuz and has some odor. Then I noticed her breasts are starting to bud. I thought I had a couple more years and I’m at a loss. This is my oldest. Is this normal this young? My mom and grand mother got their period at 9 years old but I was 13 when I got mine. I need so much advice and tips please. I was not ready for all this yet. I have had the basic puberty talk with her so she knows what to expect but my mommy heart is about to explode, she’s still so young.

187 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Can a 6-year-old start puberty? - Mamas Uncut

Precocious puberty can start early due to hormones in milk and meat.

7 Likes

It can be yes. My 8 year old has been budding for a year now but no body hair and does need deodorant.

1 Like

Yes, there is a condition called Precocous Puberty

2 Likes

My cousin is 7 going through it and my daughter is 9 and showing signs of hormone shifting

Take her to the doctor to get evaluated, she may need medical intervention and therapy to understand the additional unique changes to her body and mental state due to hormone changes

3 Likes

Yes. My daughter started her period when she was 8 :disappointed:

4 Likes

Average age for a period these days is 11. Which used to be 13. The average age is just getting younger. And then what’s outside of the average can still be considered normal having given your mother and grandparent were 9 years.
Body odour, hair growth, emotions etc, just support her through the changes, and embracing the normality of the female body and expressing great love and comfort during these times.

Also period underwear are the best invention yet. Especially for young girls.

You got this mumma :white_heart:

3 Likes

I would take her to Dr. Could beva hormone imbalance. My friends daughter went through that when her daughter was 7

1 Like

It’s all the hormones in our mental and foods that are causing this to happen earlier.

6 Likes

My youngest got hers at 8 years old

We, as a family handled it…but her first time at school was a debarcle

They didnt believe her when she said what was wrong, when I confirmed it was true the school reported it to the police, “because usualy when they mestrate so young they have been tampered with”

So treat this as a normal thing…
Prepare her as best you can, straight talk to, dont dumb it down now its a reality.

And I hope your school admins are caring unlike the ones at this particular school

3 Likes

It’s our messed up food supply

10 Likes

No its not a sign of precocious puberty don’t worry
These symptoms are called secondary sexual characters
Breast bud
Body hair
These signs can last up to tow years before actual menstrual cycle

2 Likes

I dont know about boys. But my niece started changing at 7.
And my daughter started changing at 8/9 and started periods at barley 11. (Like just turned 11.) It can happen.

My daughter started around 8 but period didn’t come on for another year and a half. In saying that, I would bring it up with the family GP in case they decide to check hormones and make sure everything’s happening as it should rather than for a medical reason

My daughter started developing breasts at six years old. Doctors run tests and said that she IS, in fact, in active puberty. She’s twelve, now, 93lbs and hasn’t started bleeding yet.

5 Likes

This could be a sign of a hormone imbalance, sa, or cancer reproductive or pituitary

She needs to see a doctor.
There have been some great suggestions but a huge concern of mine would be a issue with her brain causing this.

It can happen. I started at 8. I think maybe she ought to have a check up by a doctor.

1 Like

Hairy legs by 8,
And got my period at 9.
Boobs by 10 :rofl:

I got my period at 9. I’m 37 now. The youngest mother to date was 5 years old when she had a baby. Look it up.

1 Like

Hugs momma! I was 12 when I got my period but my 9 year old has had the budding breasts, odor, leg hair and pubic hair :persevere: Oh, and hormones!

I thought I had a couple more years as well :slightly_frowning_face:

Don’t stress. She may be budding, under arm hair growth n odour may be natural. Best is start start waxing. It would good for her

Definitely see a doctor just to rule out hormone imbalance, pituitary gland etc. They will also give you correct advise

6 Likes

I got my period at 8 and I thought I was dying, I never had any idea of what was going on and my poor dad had to deal with it. I had boobs by 10, full on size c cups. Mum told me it was crazy. I was fine otherwise.

My 8yo already has her training bras and her dad is losing it. :joy::joy::joy: thankfully we have not noted any odor. She has asked about leg hair as she has seen me shave but hasnt asked about shaving either, so yeah, definitely they can start early. Also my Nieces who are 20d and 15d older than my daughter have also been having to get her training bras as well and the 20d one has been getting some armpit odor they are trying to treat naturally for now.

3 Likes

My 19 year old son looks like he is 23. My daughter is 14 and people think she is 16. My youngest is 12 and looks 15. My daughter started her period at age 8. She started shaving around 9

Watch her diet too. Lots of foods contain hormones and yucky stuff that could be contributing to this.

6 Likes

It was the covid shot

These comments are killin me :sob: my daughter is 8. Her sister didn’t start until 12 but body type they are 1000% Opposite. I started at 10

I think a child at 8 yrs old gave birth ,wtf

2 Likes

Unfortunately it’s the hormones in our foods it’s making children develop faster let alone girls because it’s adding a rapid rate of that and additional “fat” our bodies try to hold onto that it normally wouldn’t IF our foods weren’t “poisonous” just my opinion

8 Likes

It’s all the hormone in meats…if I eat heaps of meat my boobs get bigger…

It’s fairly normal.
Training bras or sports bras, if she wants them.
This is a good time to start using deodorant.
Don’t mention the hair; if it’s not bothering her, just wait.
The early development can be credited to all of the hormones in our food.

2 Likes

Take her to the doctor for a bone age xray and a hormone blood test. It could be precocious puberty or some sort of tumor. We’re currently going through this with our daughter

3 Likes

I was 8 when I hit puberty… hair, boobs and all that, I didn’t get my period until I was 12 though.
We aren’t robots programmed to hit these sorts of milestones at the same time as every other female, she is an early bloomer :cherry_blossom: try not to make it a big deal, her body has been growing and ageing the past how many years, this is another one of those things.

1 Like

Most girls will not start menstruation until they reach around 100lbs. A doctor told me this. A certain amount of body fat appears to be necessary before the onset of puberty. However, that being said, there are other factors which could come into play, like pituitary issues for example.

3 Likes

My niece has been for awhile now she’s now 8 but it probably started about 5 she went to a endocrinologist where they found out she was starting to go through puberty she is now on meds to slow it down , she’s 8 and you can see define breast , she uses deodorant and all , meds are to help slow down her period from coming , good luck .

3 Likes

My daughter had all of that at that age…she will be 12 in 2 months and has not started her period. Our pediatrician said within a year of pubic hair.

That happened to me, I was 11 when I got my first period. My daughter is almost 10 and started to develop hair and buds at 7. None in her underarms yet

I went thru puberty early. Got my period at 9. Just make her know its not anything to be afraid or ashamed of. Make sure you answer any question she may have. Let her know all girls go thru this she just did it a little earlier and tell her she can help her friends when they do.

1 Like

My niece is 7 and has hair growing under arms. Plus getting boobs. It’s possible. I started my period when I was 8. So I wouldn’t freak out.

My daughter has been wear training bras since kindergarten. She is now 10. Is having to shave her arm pits, has hair on her legs, if she doesn’t wear her deodorant she is definitely stinky (unless fresh out of the shower) She has also started her period. I feel like she’s had to grow up too fast in a sense but she has taken everything very well considering her age. I’m very proud of her.

My daughter is 10 and has been in puberty for about a year and a half. She wears training bras, I had to start getting her deodarant last year and she just started shaving. She tells me how a lot of her friends have started their periods already at 9 y.o. It is starting earlier and earlier for these young kids. It’s best to talk to her about how her body is changing sooner than later.

3 Likes

My daughter had this issue. I took her an endocrinologist and turns out her adrenaline glands over produce. It’s definitely something to look into because they told me breast buds are not normal under the age of 9 and it should be addressed if there’s breast buds or a period

5 Likes

Yes they can it’s precocious puberty. My daughter started early at 7/8 but when I look back she had some of sign of puberty earlier but didn’t know it could happen. if you go to the drs they can put her on medication to delay it. My daughter has an injection every 12 weeks and has been fine. You can message me if you need any more information. Xx

My Niece is in 3rd grade and has her period and developed breasts and she is a small petite girl. My daughter is in 2nd and I’m praying it don’t happen to her. I was like 14.

My daughter hasn’t shown any signs of starting puberty yet and she is almost 9

I went through puberty early. I premenstrated at 8 and started at 9. Mine was due to medications and other factors that jump started me early. But it is a fairly common thing now a days.

My daughter was 10 when she started her period and her doctor is not worried about it at all. She was talked to about what would happen and really developed after that she’s 11 now stands at 5 ft 3 and is a beauty. The basic is if you are concerned talk to the doctor but remain open and honest and do not make it a taboo situation. Good luck

I had my period at 7 . I had hair growing too. I was in school and bled all over seat. I thought I was dying. No one told me about it. I would start talking to her early.

2 Likes

They are starting younger these days. Look into your family history. It’s possibly hereditary. You may not have started young like that but someone in your family probably has. It’s time to talk about menstruation. Talk to her at her level. Talk to her pediatrician and see what they have to say.

1 Like

I was 9 when I started.

I started with some stuff around 8. BO and darker hair.
Didn’t get my period until 2 days before my 13th birthday though.
Just talk to her and make sure there’s an open door for communication

Its from all the bs preservatives in food and meat

5 Likes

My wife started her period at 5, my sister started hers at 8, my other sister at 7. It definitely happens

4 Likes

It’s all the antibiotics in the milk and meat

1 Like

I started early… it’s normal. Especially with added hormones in the food too

2 Likes

My daughter is 10 she be 11 in October she already has hair underarm and down there no period yet her school had a class talk bout bodies changing one room for girls and other for boys I started @12 yr old

This is happening to my granddaughter who will be 7 at the end of the month. We are concerned and think it may have something to do with diet. Hormones in chicken and turkey.

1 Like

My daughter started at 6 with hair and body odor. She started her period at 11

My daughter got her first period when she was 8 years old so yes they are starting younger than when we did .

1 Like

My daughter has had body odor and pubic hair for like 2 years now she’s 8!

Yes, precocious puberty is puberty before the age of 8, it does happen.

1 Like

my daughter 6 and has the leg hair and hard part its a dark brown and dose get noticeable i do her legs once a month my 10 yr yr old has everything but her period im nervous about it as shes got disablitys and hayes talking about or dealing with things

1 Like

I would consult the family MD. It can be normal at a young age . But there could be other things going on you would not want missed .

4 Likes

My daughter started puberty at 6, after lots of blood tests and Wrist Xrays she started puberty blockers not long ago as her bones are growing to fast, they’re 4 years above her actual age, she’ll be on them every 3 months until she starts secondary school. And my daughter has a lot of texture issues she’s never ate meat nor eggs by her choice for everyone rambling on meat causes it.

1 Like

Check if shes been exposed to testosterone. If her dad or some male in the family uses it as a cream for health issues. Bc if so they should get a shot instead of cream bc it’s being transferred to the child and any other person in the family

1 Like

My daughter is now 12. She’s had underarm hair and leg hair for years now and has more recently developed down there as well and she’s been wearing bras for 2.5 years and still no period yet thank god! I’ve taught her things and had talks with her and she’s fully prepared for when the time comes. They also did the education class in health this year too. There’s books, for you and for her to help you both as well! Stay strong momma!

1 Like

Yes it can be. Most of my family were early bloomers, myself included. I got my period at 7 years old. I started to notice some of the same with my eldest who will be 8 at the end of the year. After noticing, I spoke to her about what puberty was, how it is normal and nothing to be embarrassed of (she wasn’t. She said she never said anything because she thought it was normal and I reassured it was) I then took her to get a “period bag”. I went over proper hygiene, how to use a pad, explained why we put extra underwear, etc. She does not have a period yet but I wanted her to be prepared in case she got it in school or when she is at her father’s and I am not around

1 Like

I was 8. My mom was the same.

1 Like

My neighbors daughter started at 6. Its highly possible.

Try not to panic it will happen when it will happen, my daughter started with leg hair & odour around 6 also, she’s 10 now and has terrible mood swings but luckily no period yet, although I think it’s coming very soon. I started my periods around 9/10 I was in year 5 in primary school!

Yeah my girl is 8 and has the hair and already had buds. I’m still trying to adjust and be still shocked by it. I want my baby to stop growing so fast.

She isn’t to young, do u know what goes on in pre-k+?? They already have an idea what s@x is, u better start now before she gets comfy with the smell or the idea of not doing nothing about it. Go out and spend the afternoon with her and take her to got some sport\training bras and have the talk of puberty with her and go out to lunch and explain that she can talk with u about everything and do not get upset and ruin it for the future is the key!! GL!!!

4 Likes

My stepdaughter started puberty around 8 1/2, she turned 10 in February and started her period last week

I Get Paid 0ver $ 112 per hour w0rking from h0me. I never thought l’d be able to d0 it but my c0lleague makes over $ 13787 a m0nth doing this and she c0nvinced me t0 try. The p0ssibility with this is limitless.

SEE MORE HERE…>> https://LifeStyles3.pages.dev

I was 8 and in the 3rd grade when I started mine

My oldest started her period at 8 yrs old.and my youngest will be 13 this year and she’s. Been shaving since she was 8

I got mine at 9 it’s totally normal

I was 9 when I got mine. 6 does seem early, but everyone’s body is different.

1 Like

My daughter started at 7 and got her period at 10

These kids are going through puberty younger and younger. I feel like there must of been something in the baby formula making this happen. Or even store bought milk they drank growing up. Government approved

4 Likes

Take her to the pediatrician could be a pituitary issue!!!

7 Likes

I didn’t start my period until later, but I had lots of body hair around 7/8. My girl just turned 5, and she’s got the same issue. She’s got a lot of body hair and is starting to develop a little in the chest.

Yes my 8 is I had 4 girls and each one it came earlier my 3rd started her period in gr 4

My daughter started with the armpit odor around 7. She’ll be 9 this year & she has armpit hair and such & is starting to develop. Both her grandmothers got their first cycle at 9 even though I didn’t get mine until almost 13. Her Dr said so long as it’s not rapid development it’s normal , but also said there are so many more hormones in the food we eat that that can also play a role. I buy the organic/cage free/hormone free stuff now. It’s more expensive,so I can’t always,but I do what I can.

My daughter started close to 7 and just started her period at 10 a few months ago.

It’s called precocious puberty and it’s an Is endocrine issue

1 Like

I Get Paid 0ver $ 112 per hour w0rking from h0me. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 13697 a m0nth doing this and she convinced me to try. The p0ssibility with this is limitless.

SEE MORE HERE… https://AmazingOpportunity3.pages.dev

I Get Paid 0ver $ 112 per hour w0rking from h0me. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 13697 a m0nth doing this and she convinced me to try. The p0ssibility with this is limitless.

SEE MORE HERE… https://AmazingOpportunity3.pages.dev

She could get the hair odor and boobs years before period starts

My daughter was around this age when she started growing leg hair and breasts started budding around age 8. She is now almost 11 and hasn’t started her cycle yet but I think it will start soon. I was 11 when I started mine.

Yes she absolutely could be starting her journey into puberty. My daughter was a hairy little thing by 6, and started her period right before she turned 8. I feel like a lot of kids these days are going through puberty earlier and earlier.

Yes. My daughter has just turned 9 and has been going through this for the past 2 years. We made an appointment with the doctor as soon as we noticed and they referred us to the paediatrician, since then she has 6 monthly check ups and has to go for an injection every 10 weeks to halt the hormones. They are going to review the situation when she’s around 10 and a half to see if they think she is mentally emotionally and physically ready for puberty and if she is the injections will stop and puberty will kick back in around 6 months after. Although she hasn’t started periods, her chest has grown and she has the hair. It’s took a great hit to her self confidence and wouldn’t even go swimming with school and even missed a friends hot tub birthday because she won’t wear a costume in front of her peers. Breaks my heart that she has had to go through this at such a young age. Xxx

I’d take her to get her thyroid checked, just in case. It can cause precocious puberty if her levels are off.

3 Likes

My aunt started her period at 6, my mom was 9 and I was 11. My daughter also started having breasts (she turns 9 in Sept). I haven’t noticed body hair or odor yet though but her attitude is off the charts.

2 Likes

I had 5 girls - none started this before 14