Can a doctor legally refuse to do a membrane sweep?

It’s totally legal for a provider to refuse, it’s not ok to do it yourself, and the safest way to have a baby is to sit down and wait to have a baby. You will likely continue hate this part of the process, and that is very ok because it’s not a fun time. It IS part of the gig though. It’s alright to feel upset about it and absolutely over it, and seems to be a really natural and normal part of the process for many.

Welcome to thunder dome. Best wishes for long naps and a healthy delivery.

7 Likes

Yes. And membrane sweeps never helped put me into labor, so there’s no guarantee it would. I have 6 living and 2 angels.

2 Likes

Baby needs everyday she can get in the womb.

2 Likes

Yes, he can. It can be dangerous.

1 Like

Of course they can refuse. You have no reason to get this done early. The longer baby is in there, the better.

5 Likes

Your dr is most likely refusing to do a membrane sweep for one of two reasons. One being some insurances won’t pay for a membrane sweet at 37 weeks. The second reason is because around 36-37 weeks closer to 37 your baby produces surfactant. Surfactant is for the lung so your baby can breathe when it’s born. Your doctor isn’t going to put your babies health at risk just because you are uncomfortable.

25 Likes

Yes he can, over being pregnant isn’t a reason.

6 Likes

Yes… I can’t believe you’re selfish enough to risk your baby being born that early just because you’re tired of being pregnant.

11 Likes

Why would you want you baby to come early - with possible health issues - just because you’re fed up?

Suck it up

You’d probably be the first person to try and sue the same doctor if your child had birth complications …sit down until your baby is ready to be born…

15 Likes

We go onto to labor when baby triggers it’s ready …. I think it’s CRAZYYYYY how in western medicine it’s normalized moms wanting to have babies prior to 40-42 weeks

It’s completely normal To go until 40-42 weeks , that’s the standard

When you decided to become a mom you were aware of this

The end is miserable bc undoubtedly every pregnancy mom is uncomfortable……

In my opinion I would say :woman_shrugging:t2:…. Suck it up momma it’s just the way it is

Try to take a deep breathe and enjoy these last few weeks

Walk walk walk it will help distribute those fluids

ZERO SALT Unless it’s natural Himalayan salt and even limit that extremely

You don’t want to be induced …. Gosh that’s just such hard totally unnecessary labor

We were never intended to labor like that unless it was an absolute emergency, being induced is horridly abused in America

Just breathe

This will be over soon

l Get paid over $112 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $19744 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarWorth501.pages.dev/

Mamas Uncut where do you find these people?!?

20 Likes

I can only imagine how you will be wants the baby is born. What are you going to do when you are tired of the baby & sleepless nights

7 Likes

You’re 37 weeks, they have every right to refuse. We’re all miserable at that point of pregnancy, suck it up. Let’s hope you get over your selfishness when the baby arrives.

Yes. It’s not medically necessary and there is risk for infection. And baby still has 3 weeks to continuing growing. It’s a risk.

7 Likes

Yep sure can. Pregnancy is hard. Just wait till you are trying to recover from being prrgnant and get no sleep. Lofe is about to smack you in the face

4 Likes

Yes he can. Don’t do it. I got a membrane sweep at 37 weeks to “get things moving” to be induced at 39 weeks. I went into labor that night. He had to be in the special care unit because he had trouble breathing and didn’t know how to swallow. The pediatrician told me that 37 weekers do worse than 36 or 38 week babies.

To possibly have to watch your baby suffer for your comfort… not worth it.

6 Likes

Had 3 membrane sweeps and still was pregnant til 42 weeks as well as 12+ labor. Baby comes when baby wants to come.

5 Likes

Yes they can baby will come when ready stop being selfish and risking baby health and safety

4 Likes

Yes they can. A doctor can refuse to do anything not medically necessary

2 Likes

Can you asked to be induced instead?

Life isn’t about you anymore.

8 Likes

Babies come when it’s time for them

It may be uncomfortable but you are making all the necessary final touches on that perfect baby … be patient!

1 Like

What happens if it doesn’t work work and you carry to 39-40 weeks if Dr doesnt give the go to home induce please don’t. Think of you baby, Dr has baby be interest at heart

He most definitely can refuse an unnecessary procedure. And I’m here to tell you even if you did have the membrane sweep, the baby isn’t coming until the baby is ready.

15 Likes

It’s not all about YOU, its about the health of your baby. You seem extremely selfish.

10 Likes

Try having twins or triplets born in July and then tell me how miserable you are. Preemie babies sometimes require nicu stays. Our bill was over $100,000. He would be sued if something happened. You’re almost done baby isn’t done cooking yet. Be patient.

1 Like

Yes, if your baby is healthy and you are to, just wait for your baby to come when they are ready

If ur complaining now wait till bby arrives don’t be selfish let bby grow more best for them to be longer in the womb

4 Likes

Yes your not overdue and it’s not medically necessary by 40 41 they do.

Yes he can refuse to do an unnecessary procedure. Every woman becomes miserable but you have to deal with it because it’s best for the baby to keep developing.

6 Likes

Y’all are rude to this person not knowing if she’s on bed rest in serious pain! Yes they can refuse but you can try different exercises to help baby come out faster if it’s safe.

I had a membrane sweep and it did nothing. It was just uncomfortable. Then they tried to induce me only for me to need a emergency c section. I wish they never forced those things on me.

2 Likes

Yes they can and it’s not medically necessary just to make you more comfortable. It’s about the baby developing, not your inconvenience.

3 Likes

You are fine. Yes, the doc can refuse. Those telling you to suck up the misery are just mean and small minded. What your asking is not currently necessary. Do your best to make yourself as comfortable as possible. Soon the birth will occur.

Yes your doctor can refuse! By the way , they won’t even do a membrane sweep until you are atleast 39weeks pregnant anyway! You can ask for an induction at 39weeks , but it’s still up to your doctor if they are willing to induce you or not . I asked for an induction , mine went great but some are different . I wish I would have waited on my baby though , those sleepless nights are harsh sometimes lol !! I was miserable! But really , wait until the baby is ready! The next baby I have I’m waiting!

That’s a good doctor

6 Likes

Why does it sound like you’re looking to sue a dr that’s looking out for the best interest of your unborn child and not your convenience? Even IF the dr. would be crazy enough to do as you wish, the sweep probably wouldn’t work. It only works when you’re body and baby are ready and since you are premature it most likely wouldn’t.

Hopefully you’re not this selfish when the baby comes

12 Likes

Babies come when they are ready…

2 Likes

Yes he can refuse if it’s not medically necessary. They typically don’t do that until 39 weeks. Baby still needs time. Don’t get pregnant if you can’t handle it.

3 Likes

I had 3 full term pregnancies all resulting in a precious healthy baby. It was tough. I was miserable. They are 13, 11, and 1. I have NEVER heard of membrane sweeps until recently (a very similar post). Geez, if you are healthy and can wait, wait. This is crazy.

2 Likes

Yes they absolutely can refuse. I get that you’re hella uncomfortable and you’re ready for it to be done, but for the most part, baby comes when they’re ready. You technically still have 3 weeks to go.

Be patient. You’ve waited 37weeks… what’s 3more seriously? I know the last weeks can be miserable and anxious but it is best for the baby to come when he/she is ready

You have to be 39 weeks for anything unless it’s an emergency. I gained 30lbs with my 5th putting me at 180lbs, putting my weight way above anything I ever was, I was swelling like crazy, she ripped my stomach muscles completely apart, she was several pounds above my other children born before her and came weeks after them. I had never made it past 37 weeks with my previous 4. They didn’t care! Wouldn’t not induce until 39 weeks.

1 Like

It’s not medically necessary.

5 Likes

Coming from a seasoned labor nurse: 1) you aren’t far enough along for a sweep.
2) you didn’t mention if you are dilated any. If your cervix has no dilation its not even possible as the membrane is on the inside of the cervix. 3) pregnancy sucks, for 99% of women. We are all absolutely miserable towards the end. Labor is even worse. Best luck.

13 Likes

Wow. I hope the baby isn’t this inconvenient once it’s here…

8 Likes

Seriously you have 3 weeks left your thinking of yourself not the baby .be patient not much longer to go

3 Likes

Yeah if they don’t think it’s medically necessary they don’t have to do it

2 Likes

Absolutely! There’s no medical reason to do it. And furthermore, they take an oath to do no harm—so doing it without reason creates more risks.

5 Likes

If there isn’t anything medically wrong then your doctor is doing what is right for the baby.

4 Likes

This sounds selfish and it is not time for that. Grow up and wait till it’s time. You can’t sue the Dr because you’re tired of being pregnant. Wow

12 Likes

Yes. It’s not necessary and an infection risk. It’s an outdated practice.

4 Likes

Membrane sweeps don’t always work… I had 5 done lol never worked

2 Likes

Selfish much. Yes doctor can refuse and will until 39 weeks. Suck it up buttercup baby will come when it’s ready not at your convenience

They aren’t necessary and they don’t help most of the time for people. Plus you are only 37 weeks lol. Relax. The ending sucks but you’ll manage.

Keep the baby in as long as you can. Don’t be selfish. Doctors don’t just perform things that people ask them to lol

4 Likes

They usually won’t do it till your 38 weeks anyways.

Is the baby even head down and moved into the birth canal? Sweeping membranes while baby anything but is a recipe for disaster

3 Likes

Pretty selfish reason to want your baby to come early. You know those last few weeks are critical for brain development? They can refuse as it’s isn’t medically necessary and could harm your baby.

5 Likes

As someone who had to give birth at 37 weeks and this resulted in a NICU stay, please let your baby “bake” for longer. This is a necessary time for development.

8 Likes

What i would have given to make it that far. I have a 34 and 33 weeker. I would have taken that discomfort over the NICU and seeing my babies hooked up to everything and fight everyday. And yes i was extremely miserable with my 2nd but that’s no reason to try and get a doctor to something early!

Yes they can!!! We can not set you up for an induction u top 39 weeks unless you have a medical reason!! Being selfish and “done” is NOT a medical reason!!! We are a critical access hospital and if you come in labor after 36 weeks we can deliver you but before no way! You want your baby to be at least 38 5/7 if not full 39+!!! Trust me!!! If you want to breastfeed that baby will do much better!!!

5 Likes

Yes. The doctor absolutely can refuse to perform a membrane sweep.
You need to understand that doctors aren’t retail workers. They don’t have “The customer isn’t always right” motto and that’s for a good reason. The customer is definitely not always right, and medical situations giving the customer what they think they want just because they want it could cause harm.
I understand being miserable during the last few weeks of pregnancy.
And while generally speaking 37 weeks is considered “term” meaning if you go into labor naturally they won’t stop it.
They don’t do any form of inductions (including membrane sweeps) unless it’s medically necessary for your safety or the baby’s. They want baby to stay in the womb and develop as much as possible.
Being uncomfortable isn’t a safety issue.

13 Likes

Yes he can legally refuse that. You are not the Dr. He is. He wants to let baby come when it’s time for baby to come. I think that’s a good Dr. But I feel for ya. That last month is by far the longest and hardest.

1 Like

Yes and 37 weeks is too early. Theyre not going to do that until right around 39 at least that’s what I’ve been told by many obs. Also you’ve got to be at least a little dilated I believe.

That’s like asking if a doctor can legally refuse to amputate your hand just because it’s making you uncomfortable after you sprained it. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

That baby’s lungs aren’t even fully developed enough to function outside your womb! Do you understand that? Your baby could not BREATHE if you evicted it from the haven if your womb!

Wth is wrong with the world.

Membrane sweeps should only be done if absolutely nessessary or if your in active labour and it’s not moving along quick enough. It’s a form of inducement and your not 39-40 wks at least.

2 Likes

Of course he can. Everyone is miserable and can’t handle it at the end but you push through. I had a thrombosed hemorrhoid at 37 weeks and it was horrible. Hang in there. Baby needs this time to finish development.

Why would risking the baby be an option for you? As a mama who spent way to much time in pediatric NICU, next to my baby, you don’t want that!! Doctors can refuse because it is jeopardizing the child!

1 Like

Of course they can! They want the baby in there as long as possible. Mine did it at 37 weeks and I have regrets bc she was born that night. She def should have cooked longer. She was my 4th and I was also “done”.
I feel you, Mama! But, it’s only a few more days. You’ll miss it. Let the baby come when they’re ready :heartpulse:

1 Like

The Dr. is doing what’s best for the baby. I understand being miserable and ready for that baby to come in to the world momma I really do. Hang in there you’re almost there! I was induced both times @ 39 weeks. Both healthy but I never could get over the feeling that I was rushing them. If I had it to do over I would have let them come on there own​:woman_shrugging:t2:. I didn’t have to have a C-section which is super common with an induction. Again, hang in there momma you’re almost there. :revolving_hearts:

Yes !! Pregnancy isn’t for the faint of heart. We all suffered. The babies health is number one. You will be fine

3 Likes

The practice I go to won’t do membrane sweeps at all anymore, the will induce a patient if they ask at 39 weeks but not before. I was induced at 39 weeks with all 3 of mine.

You’re gonna be “miserable” when you’re getting no sleep :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

He’s your doctor, not your servant.

3 Likes

The last thing to finish developing is your baby’s lungs and brain. Those last few weeks is critical for baby. I know you are miserable but just hang in there momma. It’ll be worth it.

There are so many complications still for 37 week fetuses. I get the miserable side but you really do want your little one to stay in as long as possible

1 Like

Yes. They can. As long as your life is not at risk, their priority is the safety of the baby. They wanna keep the baby in as long as possible.

1 Like

Hang in there momma you got this

The last month is the worst but you push through for the health of the baby. It will be over before you know it.

2 Likes

My practice swept me at 39 weeks nothing happened I was induced at 41 and 42 weeks with both my pregnancies just because they sweep doesn’t mean anything will happen it’s not a guarantee but good luck hang in there it’s a blessing

1 Like

Yes they can legally refuse

1 Like

Sweeps here don’t start til 38 weeks. Sweep did nothing for me on my second child (I had 3) but put me in labour shortly after on my 3rd. It’s the baby’s call, not your body’s. When the baby’s ready it will come.

1 Like

Yes he can just like he can refuse you as a patient. You are only 37 weeks my doctor won’t do anything until 39 weeks due to wanting more time for babies lung development. I know it’s miserable but you don’t have that long to go!

37 is still kinda early! Don’t be selfish let the baby develop!

9 Likes

Yes they definitely can

1 Like

Of course they can…
No one said the last 4 weeks was easy… but don’t rush …
There’s a reason a pregnancy lasts as long as it does…let nature take its course …

5 Likes

Yes. They’re not legally allowed to do these things until 39 weeks in my state now.

3 Likes

Yes they can. Just tough it out. Your baby is still developing. You’ll be fine for another week or two.

37 weeks is early. My Dr would do it until 39 weeks. For either of my 4 children.

1 Like

Totally legal, I don’t think unless there’s a medical reason they can do anything to even attempt to induce you until 39 weeks? Just a few more weeks momma, hold tight, you’ve got this!

1 Like

When they go by “ do no harm” and that in fact could be harmful, yes. You’re barely in the window of early term, you won’t be in the window of full term until 39 weeks and can go later term which is up to 42… as a mom of 6 earthside, wait. Trust the process. Intervention only leads to more. Sweeps aren’t evidence based care and should be avoided.

4 Likes

Yes, 37 weeks is premature. Hang in there! Your baby needs you to.

37 weeks is too early. The last few weeks are the hardest! Hang in there Mamaz! Not much longer!

Yes they can refuse to do it.

1 Like

Why wouldn’t they be able to refuse?
You’re 3 weeks early. They gotta wait Atleast 2 more weeks.