Can a doctor legally refuse to do a membrane sweep?

Its something they usually do after 40 weeks. The last bit of pregnancy can be hard and seem to go on for ever but babies come when the are ready xx

1 Like

He does it and something bad happens, he’s on the hook for malpractice.

2 Likes

Yes they can. Your not term. And if your cervix is not ready for it it’s setting you up for failure.

2 Likes

Do you want your baby to be poorly just cos youre a bit fed up and can’t wait

3 Likes

With my second, I got a membrane sweet at 37 weeks. But I was also in and out of the hospital with contractions starting at 26 weeks.

Wow. Do what’s best for your baby. He/she will come when ready. You will have to do what’s best for the child for years if your a good parent

3 Likes

Don’t mess w mother nature

3 Likes

I can’t believe your upset your doctor won’t induce you because your tired of being pregnant. You sound like a spoiled brat. Yes you may feel uncomfortable. But grow up. Be glad your doctor is being responsible.
What are you going to do with the baby interfered with your life? Which happened a lot. Maybe you should consider seeing a counselor before having a baby.

8 Likes

You’re only 37 weeks… half the time sweeps do nothing but discomfort anyways.

1 Like

they normally wont until 38 weeks, but there are things to help you get ready, acupuncture and chiro can help, LOTS OF WALKING!!! primrose oil capsules will soften the cervix and raspberry leaf tea gets the uterus going, i got my membrane sweep done at 36 weeks +6days and it didnt work, but i was in and out of the hospital with some minor complications, and was induced at 37+4 because of pre-eclampsia, had him the next morning

Yes he can refuse to do anything he doesn’t want to. It’s his medical license up for grabs if something goes wrong, not yours.

9 Likes

I was electively induced at 37 weeks in 2018. Times have changed I guess. But ya I’ve learned they can say no to anything.

God has finally answered my prayer of meeting a trustworthy account manager. And this has took away all my pains and debts. I can’t express my sincere gratitude. God will continue to bless Mrs Lisa jennifer for helping a lot of people financially through this online trade. Pls Brothers & Sister If you’re facing challenges in trading/investment. Kindly contact Mrs Lisa jennifer down here :point_down::point_down::point_down:

There are times In Life when you embrace fear I have stopped listening to people words first I doubted but she surprised me,I’ve been earning money without issues or stories. You too can earn contact her for investment

I sincerely in Bitcoin and forex trading with Mrs Lisa jennifer with a minimum capital I have earn enough profits within 5days and I have full control over my capital I highly recommend Mrs Lisa in trading aspect

Yes. Being miserable doesn’t mean medically appropriate or necessary.

8 Likes

Mostlikly it won’t do anything but cause more discomfort…

1 Like

Had 4 of my 5 children induced 39w-6d all the way until 40w- 6d
Discomfort means nothing, I was in and out of the hospital because HG & preeclampsia with my last. I had to have a c section at 37 weeks 2 days, luckily she was perfect

Any doctor has the right to refuse to do anything if they deem it unnecessary. It’s their license on the line. And if you push against their medical advice to hard, they can fire you as a patient for being a noncompliant patient just like you can fire them.

3 Likes

I do believe that a medical professional can refuse to perform an elective procedure, so in that sense, I believe the doctor is within his rights. Sorry about your situation

They absolutely can refuse, pregnancy lasts 40 weeks typically. A doctor can do these things if they feel it’s medically necessary for the health of the baby/labor and delivery for you… but prioritizing your wanting to end discomfort being in your third trimester is not a good reason to risk an infection to you and baby or baby not getting the full time to develop or rushing a labor your body is not prepared for which can lead to other complications.

1 Like

Why would you argue with a doctor about your babies health? Your due date is a guess… Interventions are not something to take lightly. Most likely you will go late especially if it is your first baby, so tell yourself you have another 3 weeks to go at least gf! Mine were all over 40 weeks :rofl: your body and your baby will be in harmony better if you allow your body to do its thing naturally. Start that labour too early by interfering and you may end up in emergency caesarian or in a painfully prolonged labour.

1 Like

Yes! He does what’s medically best for you and the baby.

Be patient… babies come when they get ready. I had it done on due date and went 2 weeks over.