Can babies be vegan?

My husband and I are vegan and have been for years…we just had our first child and my mother in law is throwing a huge fit because we have made it known that baby will also be vegan…she feels the baby will be nelglected and not get the nutrients she needs and my husband and I have tried to tell her multiple times baby will be fine…she keeps saying if we do this she will try to take baby from us because she should be able to choose whether or not she wants to be vegan…i guess my quesiton is, is she right? is it really that bad for a 6 month old to be vegan? or is she being crazy? everything i know its the healthiest life style and we just want our baby to be healthy but now she has me thinking its basically illegal…

393 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Can babies be vegan? - Mamas Uncut

Ask your doctor. Because it’s typically not recommended to make a baby vegan because it can cause a whole pile of health issues.

31 Likes

Tell ur MIL to shut her pie hole :rofl:

5 Likes

Ask their pediatrician.

10 Likes

It’s not illegal but I’d talk to the pediatrician first before doing it

9 Likes

You can feed your baby what you want, but I would also let your baby decide if she still wants to be vegan or not when she gets older

23 Likes

Yes they can.
You can get everything you need from whole foods and plants!
I am on and off again whole food plant based. After my second pregnancy I was strictly no animal products, we were the healthiest ever.
And now I am working my way back.

And baby still a baby, and should be having mama’s milk mostly!

3 Likes

It’s not illegal but it should be the child’s choice. Just how I feel about it. Mixed diet until old enough to decide. Tell her to shut her hole.

18 Likes

Yes you can. I have several friends whose babies are all vegan and always have been! Just make sure she is getting her protein and essentials and she will be fine. They have issues with their family also. Everyone thinks they can tell you how to raise your kids!!

3 Likes

I would say yes as long as they get the proper nutrients they need

3 Likes

They absolutely can but talk too you’re pediatrician. Because they do need a balanced dieet when you go vegan

2 Likes

Definitely talk to your pediatrician

3 Likes

I would talk to your dr. There could be nutrients that baby will be missing bc unlike adults they can’t get their nutrients from a lot of different sources like we can.

18 Likes

Anyone can be vegan it’s your child

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say it’s bad. But I wouldnt put it on her just because the 2 of you are vegan.

2 Likes

It is horrible. Talk to your pediatrician. I would not recommend a growing baby with a growing brain to be vegan

6 Likes

Ask.your.pediatrician.
Also she’s wrong and ignorant bc you already know your nutritional needs can be fully met with a vegan diet. I assume you either bf or use plant based formula as is so there would be essentially no difference in continuing to raise your baby that way.

1 Like

It’ll take a doctors oversight and special amount of extra effort cuz babies aren’t supposed to be vegan. They need all the extra fat and vitamins that come from milk

5 Likes

It’s not illegal but it’s also not necessarily healthy for a small child either. I honestly would let your child choose if they want to be vegan or not. Just because that’s how YOU and your husband want to live doesn’t mean that your child will agree. Always let them have a choice!

16 Likes

I would say for now baby can be vegan if that’s what you and dad want and as long as baby is getting all the nutrients they need. Then maybe when baby is older and knows what’s going on baby can decide for themselves?

1 Like

It’s not illegal but I would think the baby would need certain nutrients that being vegan won’t give the baby if your worried speak with your pediatrician they would have more knowledge

2 Likes

My cousin has a daughter who’s 1 1/2 and she’s raised her vegan. As long as you’re making sure they’re getting all the proper nutrients then all should be fine!

2 Likes

It’s not illegal but in my opinion it’s not the healthiest lifestyle. Actually our pediatrician just told us the other day to make sure our one year old twins are eating plenty of meat and cereals so they get enough iron, because a lot of kids will fill up on milk for calories and become anemic. So I see her worries on not getting the proper nutrition. Definitely not her place to make the decision though.

3 Likes

Consult with your pediatrician first I’d presume but honestly my opinion only wouldn’t you allow your child as they get older too make that choice assuming if that’s how it works what you may like and feel is comfortable they may not. Just my honest opinion

Ask your Doctor and follow-up on his directions.

Talk to your pediatrician and nutritionist. It’s not the healthiest life style and some substitutions will have to be made to make sure your baby is getting all the nutrients to grow.

1 Like

I wouldn’t make your kid vegan until they have that option if they want to or not, and I would talk to her pediatrician cause a growing baby needs a good diet to get the nutrients they need

5 Likes

Just go see the babies pediatrician and discuss this with the pediatrician the baby might need some type of supplement I’m not sure about the doctor and the doctor says it’s fine for your child in it’s fine and tell your mother-in-law to see you in court if your doctor advises against it and I definitely would stop and do what your doctor advises

Goodness me you managed to grow a perfect baby being vegan so why would it be an issue your baby being vegan your child you feed them what you want

1 Like

Talk to your doctor.

I just wanna say, if I grew up vegan at the hands of my parents and the learned that there was this delicious thing called meat that you can eat many different ways, I’d be PISSED😂

7 Likes

Its not illegal nor can she take your baby from you! Some people are just crazy!

And I I feel bad for you since you have the m i l from hell

1 Like

You really should talk to her pediatrician about it because that doesn’t sound healthy for a baby

1 Like

Just stop. You can’t force your child to be vegan, your child has to decide on their own.

5 Likes

Vegan diets can be healthy. I would ask her pediatrician to get a medical opinion

1 Like

My best friend is a vegan & both of her daughters (11 & 6) are vegan. They’re perfectly healthy kids.

2 Likes

I am not Vegan, but I know you can. Laura Clery and Stephon Hilton - my favorite people on FB/funny - are Vegan. She is always making stuff that I want. Her kids are also eating the same, once table food was introduced. You are fine. :heart:

2 Likes

Ask your pediatrician first. I personally feel it should be your child’s choice to go full Vegan, but I can also say I cook what I cook, and serve my kids what I cook. So yall need to do what is best for your child and home. As long as your child is getting the protein and vitiamins they need, it is no ones business but yalls!

2 Likes

You’re doing the best by your baby. Why don’t people realise that being vegan isn’t denying yourself anything that we’d naturally eat before processed food and mass farming came in! Humans aren’t designed to eat meat or any form of baby cow juice

3 Likes

Your baby can totally be vegan. Me my husband and our two children are vegan. My children have been vegan since birth & they are doing perfect. Bloodwork is perfect, & they hit all their milestones so far. I have a 2.5year old & a 3 month old! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

I would speak with your pediatrician and nutritionist. Yes they can, I was told it’s not recommended because it’s very difficult for them to get the proper nutrients they need. Especially when they have limited diets for a while.

1 Like

Talk to your pediatrician or the baby doctor about it I would go off of what they say for the mother in law at this point cut her out of the baby life’s she threatening and choosing the wrong path to see her grand child

Did you and your husbands parents raise you vegan from an infant? I highly doubt it. I’m sure you made the choice to do it yourself. Let your child decide for themselves.

2 Likes

Yes they can. Many doctors near us are smart enough to realize you can get all you need without.

It should be the child’s choice on if they want to be vegan or not

8 Likes

Isn’t a babies main source of nutrition from milk ?
Vegans don’t do milk. So how will that work?

Just a question. Don’t come at me :rofl:

3 Likes

Babies don’t eat meat at 6 mo. Any way. Your baby your choice!

2 Likes

Be careful and ask the pediatrician because it can lead to health issues. Like too much fiber can destroy the digestive tract. It can affect their height, cholesterol, and bone mineral from lack of certain vitamins and too much of others. It can also affect their cholesterol.
So speak to the pediatrician about it first and how to go about it healthily if they deem it okay.

3 Likes

I’d talk to a pediatrician because babies are rapidly growing so they need a very balanced diet. I personally wouldn’t put a baby or young child on a vegan diet & let them make that decision as they get older

How old is your baby? There is nothing wrong with raising a baby vegan, but I do feel they need to have choice at some point if they do want to eat meat.

1 Like

I’d be concerned if they can’t eat meat later in life, if they wanted to, because it wasn’t introduced while they were growing up, but I’m not sure if that’s how it works haha

1 Like

It is not her choice how you raise your child. It isn’t her business. She will do what she wants when the baby is with her if y’all allow her to keep the child. I feel like she should be supportive in your decision. I would talk to the pediatrician and decide what you feel is best for y’all best of luck

So glad my parents never did this to me :rofl::rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

Their are more options today for vegans than their were when your MIL was raising her children. Though it’s important to make sure your child is receiving all of the nutrients they need to thrive, plenty of parents raise their children vegetarian or vegan with the help from pediatricians and dieticians.

If that is your lifestyle, you are providing a healthy diet for your child, and you are taking your child for routine medical care, no one will care.

2 Likes

My daughter is 3 and doesn’t eat meat (her own choice she’s kinda picky) and she’s PERFECTLY FINE. All you hating ass Mfs on here saying it isn’t there decision ARE WRONG.

It’s between you the parents and the baby’s doctor. I would love to hear the response when she files for custody!!

1 Like

Your baby has lived off of everything you have eaten so it wouldn’t be anything new to them but definitely Speak with your doctor.

I do believe they should be able to choose when old enough to do so or if they ask to try certain foods

1 Like

They’re also known as Monster in laws for a reason! In seriousness I’d rethink, baby should get a balanced diet from 6m and I’m not sure a vegan diet could offer that to her.

Tatum I know you have insight!

1 Like

Did you/are you still nursing? I know that isn’t “vegan” but it is what we were designed to do. You can nurse longer term if you know you aren’t going to feed the child meat, etc.

If you are concerned talk to your pediatrician about it I know my granddaughter is almost two and she refuses to eat meat and only drinks almond milk since she has been one and she is completely healthy

If you take a food nutrition course or study food and nutrition it’s not good to be total vegan. It’s not good for children that young they need baby fat to live

3 Likes

Definitely a question for your pediatrician

Talk with your child’s pediatrician, maybe even take them to a pediatric nutritionist to get the best answers to your questions about your child’s diet. Your MILs opinion is just that, an opinion. She can kick rocks.

2 Likes

I doesn’t see why not, as long as your little one is getting all the proper nutrients. Best bet would be to consult your pediatrician. It 100% is NOT illegal to feed your baby a vegan diet. Diets are personal choices.

Uh…what…
The amount of people defending this because they know “kids” that are vegan… an older child has very different nutritional needs from a 6 month old
And your child absolutely should be old enough to be able and want to choose that for themself

3 Likes

Talk to your pediatrician, but in my opinion I agree that it should be babies choice when they are old enough to decide.

1 Like

I say let the child decide when he/she is old enough to do so rather they want to be vegan or not.
But for the MIL I would tell her to kick rocks she can’t control your child.

1 Like

I personally am not vegan. I am questioning how, at that age, this is an issue? My children did not eat any animal products at that age at all. Not because they were vegan, but because that is how I fed them. I can’t think of anything I would give a child at that age that wouldn’t be considered vegan?

2 Likes

I know people that made their children very sick them selves too by doing it wrong

Talk to your pediatrician about baby being vegan. Your pediatrician can help you and your husband & ensure baby still gets what baby needs. If she’s worried about baby not having meat, I actually had a meeting with a pediatric nutritionist yesterday and she explained to me that you can get your protein from other foods that aren’t meat (I asked because my daughter isn’t a huge meat kid so I was worried about protein). She explained to me that here in the U.S. it is advertised and marketed that people need a bunch of protein but we really don’t. I’d tell your mother in law that just because you will feed your child vegan choices does not mean they are neglected. If she continues, I’d tell her to shove her opinion. It’s YOUR child.

1 Like

Ask your health visitor and can’t hurt to give your baby vegetables etc, infact I think it would be healthier than the jars of baby food they sell, full of sugar etc, just blend it up well so baby can swallow til she is used to eating proper foods but yeah ask your health visitor. Good luck. Congratulations on your baby btw :heart:

It’s your baby! Baby is being fed as long as baby get what she needs your MIL can hoop her forehead! She had her babies she raised them now you have yours you raise them your way.

Talk to your baby’s Dr. or ask the Dr. to set up an appointment with a Registered Dietitian

I would worry about development, but as long as you give suppliments baby should be fine

Ask the pediatrician first.

But no it’s not neglectful lol
My niece is vegan along with my sister and my BIL.
But if at any point that she wants meat or etc then they’ll let her have it.
It was easier for them to go vegan as both my BIL and my Niece have diet restrictions from allergies and etc.

If she’s threatening to take your child then it’s time to go no contact

2 Likes

I’m no doctor, but I have read articles about 1 family who was facing charges because of this exact situation and the baby ended up in the hospital Due to digestion problems and under weight. I know there’s health safe ways to get your balanced diet through seeds,and powders but I’ve never heard of babies can eat that. I would definitely talk to your pediatrician!

2 Likes

You’re a fucking idiot and now you’re gonna raise another one. Nice work :ok_hand:

Oh sweet lord I’m glad I don’t deal with stuff like this. First off your child period. Also in all technicality if they nurse or have formula they aren’t vegan (I say this sarcastically for you to tell her). Also most babies are vegetarian/vegan until a bit older. You don’t need animal products to get the proper foods and they make so many alternatives these days… if baby is 6 months I don’t understand why it’s even an issue right now? As for people saying omg don’t make your baby vegan why is it acceptable to make your child non vegan? We all decide what our kids eat in the end and hopefully the goal is a healthy diet so do you and set boundaries with others. FYI I’m not vegan lol

Ask your child’s Dr & speak to a regular nutritionist not a strictly vegan one & do as they suggest. But whatever you chose do not force it on your child when they are old enough to chose. We aren’t vegan but if my child decided they were, I would respect them, cook for them & get them separate cooking/eating items. & if your child chooses not to be vegan be prepared for that as well.

You bring your babies up how you see fit. As long as they are getting what they need (same way you and your husband are) and they’re growing and developing well according to your Dr’s then go with what is working. The child can choose to eat animal products or not to as they get older, same as they could grow up eating meat and choose vegan lifestyle after they grow up. Everyone will have an opinion on what they think is best , just politely say thanks for the input and then keep doing what you’re doing :purple_heart:

Too many of you are so grossly uneducated. A vegan diet is the best for you. Just don’t eat too many processed foods.

2 Likes

This can not be real. Like at all!

1 Like

There should be laws in place for things like this… Humans evolved to eat meat. To force the kid into a lifestyle YOU chose is wrong. You do realise Infants and young children require more protein, calcium and vitamins D and B12 than adults you’re literally denying the child all of that because you don’t like meat.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t even try that til they’re at least like 5 because making sure their diet is balanced is so important early on especially for brain development. Personally though, I do really feel like that’s something every person should decide for themselves and not shoved unto them. You can be perfectly healthy without being vegan.

1 Like

Umm this is simple if your doctor is okay with it then nothing else matters. She can shove her opinion and if she keeps it up forfeit her privilege of seeing the baby. You don’t need her undermining your two by feeding the baby other stuff behind your backs.

3 Likes

I think I’d be more concerned of what my pediatrician said over my mother in law. As long as your baby is healthy they are fine. If your child chooses to not be vegan when they grow up fine. Raise your child how YOU n your HUSBAND want.

4 Likes

As long as baby is breast fed and getting enough nutrients from you, then yes.

Do what you will, but yes once the child is old enough to express themselves should have a choice in what they eat!! :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

As long as you don’t make your pets vegans. That goes completely against their necessary diet.

But if your kid decides on their own to not be vegan please don’t guilt or shame them.

3 Likes

Babies can be vegan. A vegan diet is very healthy they still get all their nutrients.

1 Like

Cut mother in law out of your life. She sounds toxic and life is too short to be around that kind of negativity

She raised her kids how she wanted.
This is your child, you raise her the way you want.

I guess at my old age I just don’t have time or patience for all that unnecessary drama :tipping_hand_woman:t2:

3 Likes

Why are you asking Facebook and not the pediatrician? My guess is probably because you want to hear what you want to hear. I’m pretty sure the pediatrician will tell you NO. ITS NOT OKAY until they are much older

8 Likes

Did you and your husbands parents raise you vegan from an infant? I highly doubt it. I’m sure you made the choice to do it yourself. Let your child decide for themselves.

11 Likes

I know that parents made there baby eat vegan child died parents went to prison for it a few years ago can’t remember what state though

7 Likes

Definitely don’t make the baby full vegan right now they need all the nutrients they can get and a vegan diet cannot give that to a baby is dangerous for their health and development. When they get older raise your kid however you want but the first years are crucial.

4 Likes