Can babies be vegan?

Obviously ask your doctor, but once your child is old enough to pick what they want to eat, they should be allowed to do so. No one else’s opinion matters about how you want to raise your child, just make sure to look up a ton on raising a child vegan. I know you have to have a perfect balance of things, otherwise it can cause problems.

13 Likes

If anyone told me they would take my kid because I’m living a healthy lifestyle they’d never be around my baby again!

2 Likes

At 6 months most children are still getting breast milk or formula so until they’re one food is pretty optional. I would take the next six months to speak with a doctor and get knowledge about what all nutrients a child needs to develop. Then show your doctor what you plan to feed them. They can set you up with a nutritionist to make sure everything you plan to feed meets the child’s needs.

1 Like

There’s lots of vegan families raising perfectly healthy vegan babies. You MIL just wants control and that shit needs to be nipped in the bud asap!

Iam vegetarian I’ve 3 kids well two teenagers aged 19,16,3 year old boy i leaves it up to them what they want to do eat meat or not but all 3 loves it :rofl:I can’t stand it but everyone’s happy in the end !

1 Like

Breast milk is not vegan. Feed your child a balanced diet, talk to your pediatrician. But for the love of all that’s holy, don’t force your older child to be vegan when they express they don’t want to eat that way anymore. Also, certain medical conditions can make being vegan impossible. Prepare for that.

2 Likes

I would ask your doctor…then follow through with what he says

2 Likes

Smh the baby is going to be born and bred vegan. MIL should have no say in what baby eats

1 Like

Before trying to raise the child to be vegan you need to make sure that the Doctor knows that, that’s what you want to do and go off of their advice on it. It could be to soon to start the kid off as vegan at this young of any age. And what if your kid doesn’t want to be vegan when there older? Will you accept that or will you tell them that they have to be vegan? Because in the end it really should be up to the kid on if they want to be vegan or not

2 Likes

I hope everyone that says, “let your kid choose for themselves” did not circumcise or get their infants ears pierced.

3 Likes

Being vegan is a personal diet choice, until your baby is old enough to decide for him/herself I think you should feed them all the usually necessary food groups. Your baby will need it for brain development and vitamins that lots of just vegetables and fruits don’t have. Your lifestyle is your choice but your baby will also be an adult one day and should have the right to decide what they want to do🙂

10 Likes

There’s been literally a number of newborns put in the hospital and have died. Because parents made them vegan. You need to talk to your pediatrician before you do this.

13 Likes

Best answer for this question Ask the babies pediatrician we are not doctors or trained nutritionist the best answer would come from one of them not some Facebook group

8 Likes

The thing is you say being vegan is the healthiest life style but it isn’t always. It CAN be but there’s also allot of people who are vegan and very unhealthy about it.

Being vegan doesn’t automatically make someone’s diet healthy

The same as eating meat doesn’t automatically make someone healthy

10 Likes

Id say talk to your pediatrician. If baby is gaining, thriving, and meeting all the milestones there is no problem with it.

Talk to your pediatrician and let your mother in law sit in on that visit. It might solve a lot of your problems.

Talk to your pediatrician. And then tell your mother in law if she ever attempts to interfere with your parenting again she will not be allowed to be a part of your lives. She raised hers and you will raise yours and refuse to allow her or anyone else to bully you or shame you because your way is not there way make sure she understands she is the grandmother now not the mother! I am the mother of three and grandmother of 2 my job is to support my daughter and her husband’s wishes not demand my way and hopefully they will be even better at parenting than I was. I don’t understand why people would not want better for their children and grandchildren it disgusts me all any of us can do is the best we can. As Grandparents we should only offer advise when ask and encourage and support the parents in anyway we can.

3 Likes

A friend of mine who had a son was vegan and she raised her son the same way. Her mom said she was depriving him of meat. My advice to her was to tell her mom “either respect how I raise my kids or you don’t need to be in his life” :tipping_hand_woman:t3::woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

I mean. Idk many 6month olds that are chomping down on a lot of meat. I know mine weren’t at that age. I think a little meat eventually is good but there are a lot of other foods that have great protein as well. Good luck to her trying to take your baby from you, that’s just nonsense. No one is going to do that because you chose not to give your kid meat. I’m sorry she’s being like that.

As long as baby is getting breastmilk/formula, you can absolutely raise your baby mostly vegan. I love the uneducated answers about how we’re “evolved to eat meat”. Thats not true at all. Vegan is 100% the best way. But most people think you can’t get all the nutrients and thats 100% wrong as well. Yall just dont like learning. :joy:
BTW, I eat meat and still think its unhealthy. I just love the taste!

3 Likes

Your child needs iron and protein which meat has… Leave your child to choose what they want to eat when they are older

I’d never personally do that to my kids I think it’s something they should choose

1 Like
1 Like

A baby can be vegan as long as you provide proper nutrition. Plant based food has come a long way and even I love it and I’m not vegan.

1 Like

Hey everyone we are vegan :rofl::rofl::rofl: so my breath milk is also vegan lol

1 Like

My baby refuses to eat meat and she is very healthy! She’s 2 years old and still doesn’t care for it. She gets protein through other foods, just research and find the right things to make sure she gets nutrients!

2 Likes

You need to ensure baby is getting the proper nutrition. I’d talk with baby’s Dr for advice on this.

1 Like

Ask a doctor you think!

3 Likes

To be honest……I’m not 100% sure nor am I a medical professional. But I had an amazing professor who was vegan and so was the rest of her family which includes two little ones under the age of six I believe. As far as I know they’ve always been vegan. When the pandemic first started, we all switched to online. She gave us the opportunity to meet her kids that way and they interacted with us sometimes for educational purposes (this was a child development class). Those kids are healthy and happy. Very well taken care of and by no means look like they’re lacking nutrients or hurting for anything. Maybe talk to your pediatrician? Ask if they know what’s the best way to approach taking care of child on a vegan diet. Nutrition tips. Stuff like that. You certainly aren’t the first parent to raise their child/children to be vegan and I’m sure won’t be the last. People do it all of the time and there’s nothing wrong with that. I’m a vegetarian. For the most part I really do eat like a vegan but I’m not comfortable with claiming it because I’m still kind of learning but I’ve been a vegetarian for a while. My six year old wants to start eating like mommy and she does. She’s fine lol and completely healthy. Everyone has an opinion but it doesn’t mean that they are right.

Have you talked with your pediatrician? They can tell you whether it’s healthy and safe for the baby.

2 Likes

Tell her what she wants to hear and keep it moving…I would cut her off if she is talking about taking baby from you what will she do if you raise your child without, say, religion? She had her time to raise her kids, now she needs to let you raise yours. Mark my words, she will try and turn baby against you when baby is older.

1 Like

No babies should not be vegan. There have been newborns who have died because parents made them be vegan. NOT a good idea talk to child’s pediatrician

3 Likes

You’re clearly an id***t. Do you know how many children have died because their parents push their crazy vegan bs down their throat? Look, I am basically vegetarian by nature but these children NEED the nutrients and vitamins and what have you from meat products, milk, etc. You know what? Ask your doctor, lol. It’s insane to me to make a 6 month old, or new born or whatever vegan when so many children have died because of it. :grimacing::roll_eyes:

7 Likes

I would recommend consulting your pediatrician and following their advice. Simple research indicates that babies and toddlers have a difficult time getting the nutrients required to support their rapid growth rate on vegan diets and it is recommended to avoid vegan diets until much older unless there is a medical reason.
Ultimately, the decision is yours, but one would hope that you’d put your child’s needs first.

12 Likes

Babies need fats and nutrients from animals and animal products for proper development. ESPECIALLY in the brain… do NOT put your baby on a vegan diet.

3 Likes

My vegan baby! He’s 4 now and still happy, healthy and strong as can be!

9 Likes

You can raise the baby how ever you want. You practice the vegan life style, so does your family. There are supplements to make up for the nutrients lost in a vegan diet.

1 Like

I mean honestly a very young baby/child should not be on a vegan diet. Everyone says being vegan is the healthiest diet but it really isn’t.

7 Likes

Talk to your pediatrician

I have heard a lot of things about children not getting everything they need from a vegan lifestyle. I am not vegan so I don’t have life experience with this. I do however believe that if you make an appointment with a professional nutritionist and get guidelines and support on how to make this work for your family, things could go well. I would also keep the pediatrician informed as well (just in case vitamin supplements or proteins are needed). I would follow what the professionals say so that your child won’t end up being flagged as failure to thrive. I hope this helps. I wish you luck!

I agree in a way it’s a choice so your baby should choose her own path and not be put on it because you and your husband want her to be. She’s out of line tho saying she will try and take the baby over it that’s extremely drastic in my book. Best thing to do is speak to the baby’s doctor or other professionals and see what they can suggest before settling one way or another. Clearly you just want what’s best for your baby but right now that may not be being vegan. I think you and your husband have to do all the research you can about babies and being vegan plus talk to people and go from there.

Talk to your Dr & tell your mother in law buzz off

You are the parents, don’t be concerned about her threats, she has NO RIGHTS !!

1 Like

It probably can be done but you definitely want to speak to your pediatrician and possibly a nutritionist as well to ensure baby gets everything it needs, the proper amount of protein and other nutrients.

1 Like

I’d discuss with your babies pediatrician just in case there’s any reason that diet wouldn’t work.

1 Like

Consult a Pediatrician and I dietitian

I think you should do what the doctor says and when the child is old enough to say what that child wants. I don’t feel it’s right to just make that baby what you want.

3 Likes

Just if the parents eat grass

My opinion and what I have seen babies and small kids don’t do well on a vegan diet I’m not saying they can’t but you have to really make sure you’re giving them what they need to grow but her threatening u and all that extra stuff is highly unnecessary

This isn’t against your parenting, please don’t take it as such.
First, she’s wrong.
Second, there are serious risks for the child’s future by this. Not death as far as I’m concerned, but by not introducing kiddos to all foods now, their risk of being allergic to many of those foods as a teen/adult is extremely high. Essentially, they may not be able to choose to not be vegan later on, or you risk the child having a severe reaction to something super simple at school or friends houses as a child.

I have 3 kids. My mom did this crap with the oldest. “he should choose”, “you’re forcing him to eat 'your way '” etc. The truth is non-vegans don’t let their kids choose, they force their kids to eat meat. You feed your child how you want to.

2 Likes

Yes, babies need fats and animal protiens. Do not force your kid to be vegan… grandmas right…

3 Likes

Your baby can absolutely be vegan, breastmilk is vegan and that’s baby’s main source of nutrition for the first year anyway. I don’t recommend plant based formula. But if you are able to breastfeed, then absolutely.

Vegan is not healthy for a baby. They need those fats! You will kill your baby if you out them on that kind if diet.

1 Like

It should be your child’s decision when they’re old enough to make that decision.

1 Like

She’s crazy, there is more protein, good fats and all the nutrients you need found in a plant base diet if you are educated and do it properly!

2 Likes

I think that’s a discussion for your pediatrician, not your mother-in-law.

1 Like

Talk to a pediatrician and Dietitian and follow their recommendations. I don’t think your Mother in law’s approach is right, however her concerns are valid.

3 Likes

Um …no ? A baby / child needs so .MUCH in the 1st years like proteins nutrients from milk & so much more. When ur child is old enough let them decide if that’s what the want or that life style

2 Likes

Mary Plado Varghese come get yo cousin

Definitely talk to your Dr. and a proper pediatric nutritionist.
However, plz be aware that if you do not expose babies to an array of foods and things around the environment you are subjecting them to a lifetime of allergies and sensitivities. So, should they choose to try other things when they get older (which they will as you’ve now also provided a perfect way for them to rebel as teens!) they are far more likely to suffer adversely. Also, there have been MANY reported cases of babies being taken after suffering malnutrition from well-meaning vegan diets that proved to be insufficient. Babies need specific micro nutrients and amino acids for brain & bone growth that are simply NOT found in a vegan diet!
This is the way our human bodies have evolved. :woman_shrugging:

12 Likes

Please ask your pediatrician if your baby being on a vegan diet is a health risk. Babies have been very ill and have died from not having the proper nutrients.

8 Likes

Talk to a pediatrician before you make this decision. I’m not even sure why you think FB is a place for medical advice for your baby. I’m already questioning your parenting choices. I am a pescatarian, so I’m not being judgmental about alternative diets for adults, I’m just questioning your choice for your baby.

No. That’s like saying your baby should be able to choose whether you eat Mexican food or Chinese food. As long as the diet is nutritionally sound, your child can eat whatever you eat and it’s none of her business. When they get older they can make independent choices about their diet.

3 Likes

Not cruel at all. People just can’t seem to wrap their heads around the fact that iron, protein, riboflavin, niacin, and everything else found in meat can also be found in plants, soy, and yeast. Even vitamin B12 can be found in plants for crying out loud. This is coming from someone who eats meat. However, you’ll have to supplement certain things. There’s just no way a baby/toddler/child/adult could eat enough plant based items daily to get enough DHA, D3, omega3&6, beta-alanine. Work with your pediatrician to find a registered dietitian that can help your formulate a proper meal plan for a child and advise which supplements and in what doses would work best. Fact: almost all children under 5 in the U.S have major vitamin deficiencies. Frozen waffles breakfast and chicken nuggets for lunch just aren’t a suitable diet for kids, though most kids are picky eaters so any food better than nothing!

3 Likes

My first instict is no vegan for baby because if the cholesteral needed for proper brian development. BUT im not a pediatrician and its best to get professional opinion and guidance.

6 Likes

She is right…I think it should be baby’s choice in future to chose what to eat and what not…after all human beings are OMNIVORES who can eat both vegetables and meat we are not HERBIVORES

15 Likes

Do research. Babies who are fed vegan do not have the required nutrients for growth. If you feed vegan, you need to supplement, especially for iron. But then the baby isn’t eating vegan if you give them cow’s based formula anyways.

15 Likes

Baby needs protein which comes from meat. Talk to a professional like a Doctor or Dietitian about how to get the extra nutrients needed.

4 Likes

Talk to your pediatrician about it

3 Likes

Let them have a normal diet, let them decide when they are older

11 Likes

i’m a vegetarian and i have never forced my children too eat they way i do :slightly_smiling_face: i personally think it’s up too them when they are old enough ,

19 Likes

All the vegan babies I’ve seen grow smaller than others. Might want to talk to your doctor but I am sure a baby or child needs protein, vegetables and all nutrients for healthy growth. Your mother in law is right about that one.

9 Likes

She’s not wrong really. It’s not illegal so much as negligent. That’s a choice you’re making but there’s no reason not to let your child have that same choice.

11 Likes

Talk with pedi but also if you child grows up and wants meat etc please don’t be that parent. If the kid asks for a hotdog at a bbq don’t refuse bc it’s what you do. I had a friend who ended up with an eating disorder due to her parents controlling her food her whole child hood and now she don’t even speak to them all over the fact she wanted meat and cheeses and pizza. Her mom always scolded her and then played the unhealthy and being fat card. Unhealthy sure but being fat not ok to say that to kids. Her Mom should’ve accepted she wanted these things then taught her how to consume in a healthy way. My sister decided around 8 she hated meat, we all eat it, but instead of my mom forcing her to eat it she supported her and made sure she still got nutrients she needed. If it’s praised for this sort of support it also should be done vise versa.

4 Likes

Raising a child vegetarian is very common and has been happening for decades. Parents who are vegetarians are not going to suddenly start cooking meat for their children. But, vegan is a little more complicated especially after 12 months. If you’re really set on doing vegan you need to work closely with a pediatrician and nutritionist. A good compromise might be just vegetarian until they’re older. But your MIL has no business acting like that

14 Likes

Ask this in a vegan :seedling: group​:heavy_heart_exclamation: unless someone practices and understands vegan than they will not understand! There’s plenty of ways to get nutrients, vitamins and proteins from vegan options. Plus it’s actually healthier! There’s a reason America has the number one heart disease rate in the world! You’re doing a good thing mama. Join a FB vegan group and I’m sure you’ll get plenty of suggestions :heart:

6 Likes

I would talk to her pediatrician and do the research to find what nutrients babies need, and make sure there are plenty of healthy fats (avocados and such) and tell the grandma to mind her own business. I know making sure baby gets fats will be a struggle but almond milk can help with that and other things. Just talk to multiple dieticians and pediatricians and such to make sure you’re giving the baby everything needed. If the child chooses later to adjust their body to meat and animal products, don’t stop them because THAT would be wrong in my opinion. But choosing to feed your child with vegan approach is no different than choosing to feed them with McDonald’s. It’s a parenting choice. Definitely please consider vegetarian for the first few years because of all the nutrients they need and it may be difficult to fulfill that with a vegan approach, but hey if you can do it with nutritionist and doctor help go for it!

The baby would need supplements, their brain and organs are growing , were you a vegan baby ? There are maybe somethings you can substitute but I wouldn’t take a chance. :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Idk I’m not a pediatrician.

4 Likes

Not old enough as a baby. Maybe wait till they are older I advise. ask baby’s pediatrician

I think it should be up to the child to make a decision when they’re old enough.

4 Likes

Our son was vegetarian until he was about 5 when we would offer to let him try meat. Most frequently he tried it and decided he didn’t like it. As adults, we can educate ourselves and make informed decisions. When the child gets older they can be given a choice- but while they are growing it’s our responsibility to choose for them

1 Like

Don’t. It’s so incredibly rare that a parent gets it right. Unless you’re working alongside a pediatrician and a nutritionist you will make mistakes that can harm your child. Infants and babies need so much more than what adults need. So what works for us won’t work for them.

4 Likes

you need to talk to your pediatrician before starting your child on a vegan diet and see what they tell you is okay or not.

3 Likes

Babies need protein, fat, and carbs as part of their overall nutrition. Also there’s iron in lots of proteins. Babies should not be vegan. Wait a few years.

4 Likes

I’d ask your pediatrician about it. I’m not sure how advised it is or how well they will do on it. It’s probably not the healthiest thing for a baby.

You should introduce all foods to your baby, if only to check for allergens. Honestly I find that being vegan is such a choice that it’s like a religion, it shouldn’t be imposed.

4 Likes

I would talk to the pediatrician about that.

1 Like

Tell your mother in law to mind her business.

2 Likes

Bullshit. I raised my toddlers vegan and they love all fruits and vegetables and all vegan foods. Also there’s a huge misconception around veganism and not having the necessary nutrients. If you have been a vegan for a long time you’ll know this and you’ll know how to keep them healthy. YOU choose what’s right for your child. I will add though- my oldest is 10 and she chooses what she wants to eat and she is not 100% vegan. Also my toddlers will occasionally eat dairy when they’re at birthday parties and such because I don’t want them to feel excluded. But in my household I only make vegan meals, and they love what I cook. I’d just go with what your heart says and let them decide what they want when they’re old enough.

My baby has a hard time digesting milk so she is vegan as of right now. For everyone boosting about proteins and nutrients clearly do not include lentils in their diet. Lol

Yes. As long as you are properly meeting their nutritional needs they will be fine. I assume you have done your research and have a properly balanced diet yourself so your baby should be fine. Many people just give their child the option to try those foods when older.

Lol my daughter hated meat when she was a baby, your baby should be more then fine with just veggies and fruits! You may have to get her some baby vitamins to make sure she’s getting the proper amount of nutrients,but if your still breastfeeding too I don’t think that’s an issue

Why would you restrict them? Most daycares and home providers will not give your child vegan options unless signed off by a doctor.

5 Likes

Maybe should get a book on how to care for a baby , ask a pediatrician….

Honestly, if you’re willing/ able to do long term breast feeding/pumping it could be a good route to take. At least until they’re a few years old. But definitely as your pediatrician

Most formulas are not vegan. You need to consult a pediatrician. It’s not illegal but you need to be sure you do it safely.

3 Likes

How about allowing the child to decide what they like or don’t like? Unless you’re currently having an allergy problem, I’d let the kid decide what’s palatable.

5 Likes

The baby should be able to choose …. Ask your doctor