Can I get food stamps If I am no longer living with my husband?

It could depend on the state you live in. But here in Jersey. They go by income n your married now his income is now yours to. I would check sap there get you for fraud

You need to contact your case worker immediately. Technically you do not live together but your tax status has changed. If you do not report it you could not only lose your benefits but could owe as well.

17 Likes

If he doesn’t pay any bills then it doesn’t have to be reported, because your income hasn’t changed

2 Likes

Goes by income I believe.

3 Likes

In our state it’s by household income

With all due respect, whoever “owns” or admin this page, as soon as you got this text you should’ve tell her to report her status and not even post it!

15 Likes

Most states has 10 days to report.

2 Likes

If you never ask the question, you’ll never know the answer!!

1 Like

Might have to prove he has a different residence

Its goes by all income in the household

Hey it’s almost tax season. You may want to report it before you file. Because if they find out you are married and getting assistance. The will get that money back out of your tax refund!!!

If your income isnt that high they will add him

2 Likes

So freaking ridiculous. Hope you are reported.

6 Likes

My friend Patti Brown is a case worker she might be abke to help

1 Like

Hello yes you do need to report you got married it will not change anything they just passed a law that states if you have assets around 5000 you still qualify. I no people who did not report and they will find out through your social security number or if they do your review. You won’t go to jail it’s just you need to report all charges. I know as well they won’t take insurance from children under the age of 18. So best of luck.

My guess is yes all income will be included, if you don’t report your changes an area not honest, it will end up , with serious consequences. Fines, jail time ect

Report it. It’s the right thing to do. It’s called integrity. Good grief.

3 Likes

30 years ago my husband was in the hospital dying. We had 4 children and two of them babies. We both worked but when he got sick his income ended. Mine went in half because I was daily running to the hospital caring for him. Funds were tight so I applied for assistance. I was told if I quit my job I would qualify then. But being married and only provider I couldn’t afford to lose our health insurance. I ate little and my kids ate at school. And at night at my mother’s house.
Sometimes we just have to tighten our belts and work extra hard to survive. We can not expect handouts to survive. It is up to each of us to bust butt to end poverty. There are those sick and disable who need help. But many times for some easier to seek freebies…

7 Likes

You need to report to them immediately. I’m pretty sure it’s fraud if you didnt report a big thing like a marriage.

8 Likes

You are committing felony public assistance fraud! I hope you go to jail! The rest of us don’t want to pay your freaking way!

5 Likes

Why is this crap on here?

5 Likes

To the people who said get a job and stop living off government need to not assume all people on food stamps don’t have full time jobs. It is an assistances. Some states, if you don’t work and your child is over 5 (I think it’s that age), then you are required to do volunteer work or work so many hours. And quit being mean to this lady, she wasn’t sure and was asking. She might not realize she needed to. Some people don’t always understand how things work.

4 Likes

If you are married you now have his income and may not be eligible for food stamps any more. You may think it is ok to cheat the government by not being honest But remember the government has No Money - you are cheating everyone of your neighbors that pay taxes.

3 Likes

It’s a good chance u won’t be eligible anymore to receive them if he makes decent money because u HAVE to report your marriage. Major trouble for u if u don’t and they find out I know people who got in trouble for this and it wasn’t even a marriage. So they do have people that check for those kind of things…fraud. Talk to your social worker and if u can prove he doesn’t support u and that he has his own other bills in a whole other state maybe they will make an exception… def don’t lie or try to sneak something past them u will be caught and in trouble. Liars and cheaters never win karma always catches up so just be honest

2 Likes

As a taxpayer that I am I resent cheats and fraud. Report it now and avoid jail and repaying and possibly ever getting help again.

3 Likes

My husband was living in Oklahoma me in texas and trust me they will find out… i had my food stamps and children’s medicade taken away yes he was getting good paychecks but he had to pay his own bills rent over there and also over here now my sons medication is $350 a month which i cant afford :confused: so here i am now looking for a job *** ill make it clear lol i did report after his 1st paycheck but they already knew thru his social security***

1 Like

People like you are who ruin it for the legitimate people that need the help.

Lying of your change in status is fraud. Report it with explanation of circumstances if it’s cut its cut. Don’t want to get caught lying and have to pay it back with penalty and legal fees.

If he pays the bills then no, you can’t get food stamps. But if you fall under the guidelines then you may qualify to get them including his income. If you don’t have a job they’re going to want to know how you’re paying your bills.

Make sure when you report you get proof. I reported I was married got it stamped by a case worker. Almost a year later I get a letter saying I have to repay over a 1k of over paid bfood benefits because I never reported I was married. Thank goodness I saved the paperwork and saved my own ass. They wanted me to repay the 1k because they didnt note on their end I got married. They took like 2 months to get me back on track. I had to get an advocate and threaten a lawyer even with proper paperwork approved by them I was still audited and they dropped me in benefits. Cross your ts and dot those i’s.

1 Like

You have to report your married within 10 days of the marriage if you dont is total farud and if you should still get them you may not for lying !

Contact your caseworker. You actually can get in a lot of legal trouble if you don’t report your change in marital status.

1 Like

Sounds like you are trying to cheat the system

8 Likes

Get a damn job and stop living off the government.

6 Likes

I smelled someone cheat on Government assistance. #fraud #greed

3 Likes

You would be committing FRAUD.

2 Likes

She married the man, now chooses not to live with him … doesn’t sound like a marriage…

2 Likes

Don’t go to jail report that you are married. They will make you pay it back.

1 Like

So he sends himethe bacon and your getting free bacon lol

Im married but dont live with my husband i get them.just please report u got married so u dont get in trouble

Report that he is no longer in ur home and NOT contributing anything to help so you dont get in trouble for it!!!

If you are an illegal alien no problem😂

It goes by household income I believe so if he’s not in ur household I don’t believe it does

Is he paying the bills??? If so ur committing fraud

That’s lying and wrong.

6 Likes

Wow they walk among us

2 Likes

They will catch up with you for not reporting your marriage and continue to get food stamps if you are not eligible. The you will be prosecuted for fraud, fined and have to pay back the dollar amount you got.

1 Like

You better be careful you can get in HUGE trouble for not reporting being married

If hes paying bills but you still cant afford food you should be okay. If you split you should report it. They will make you file for child support. I believe.

1 Like

Most states use household income to determine eligibility for food stamps. Once you get married your spouses income is included in that. Does he contribute to your finances even though he lives in another state? Not reporting it can get you in trouble, so please don’t wait too long

6 Likes

Try doing a caster…it has it for different states which gives you an estimate or a chart to see what you would qualify for with your income.

If you dont report it I you will lose it and you’ll have to pay it all back.

It’s a household income. If he isn’t in the home, explain. Most states allow for him not to be counted if you are recently separated.

1 Like

If you don’t report it and they find out you will lose any aid you have, depending on how much your husband makes they will do a review and either increase or decrease

Um its fraud and yes you can go to jail

They know if you were married, they knew when I got a raise

Considering he doesn’t live with you and doesn’t share meals with you, I think you’ll be ok. But don’t not report. You can get in huge trouble!

1 Like

U have to report changes they will get you for fraud filing leaving info out that u knew about …

Please report it ASAP! Someone I am very close to got arrested for welfare fraud for not reporting when she got married. She is on probation now for 10 years and has to pay restitution fees every pay check. It is not worth it, trust me!!!

Being married doesn’t make you unqualified for getting food stamps. However you can always try and apply. The worse they can say is no.

Call the office you went to and ask .