Can I out the father on the birth certificate if he doesn't want to be?

Just go get a paternity test and get child support…although he can still deny and sign over all rights in some states i believe

2 Likes

You can’t do that. He has to be there with a photo ID to sign papers

You put his name on there, it will be filed as unsigned… then go after child support, the court will make him do a paternity test, when it is proved he is the father, you then ask the court to have him sign the birth certificate and refile it, whether he wants rights or not( which he will be entitled to)… it’s not the child’s fault… the child deserves support

22 Likes

You can give the child his last name if you want, but he can’t be listed as the father unless he is there to sign the birth certificate; that was in NJ odk if its different elsewhere.

1 Like

Dont do it. you will regret it later on

13 Likes

If you aren’t married then you have to do a paternity test before you can put anyone on the birth certificate. Otherwise anyone could just put literally any name down as the father

Honestly don’t waste your time if he’s telling you he don’t want it or to, I’m sure you and baby be better off and once baby is old enough to know and understand you can tell him who his real dad is. Putting someone name on the birth certificate don’t mean nothing if he not in it 100 percent. :heart:

10 Likes

Unless he’s married to you, he’d have to sign the paternity form when the baby is born to be on the birth certificate.

He has to sign. Just sign up for child support tell them he’s the father and he will have to pay for a paternity test and when it comes back his, child support he owes lol

3 Likes

in the state of tenn if they were not married he don’t have any rights anyway the mother has them

1 Like

No. They have to sign paperwork too. At least my fiance did for both of my girls. He had to sign off basically giving his approval to be on the birth certificates.

1 Like

No. You’re going to have to establish paternity. He is considered the presumptive father then until the dna results come back.

2 Likes

The birth registrar at your hospital will know the laws for your state.

You cannot legally do that. He has to sign a form. And if he wants nothing to do with the child then I wouldn’t push it. You can still file for child support. Court will order a paternity test. Don’t force something when it seems this situation may already be a bit of a mess. Please remember your child should come before any relationship or drama. I’m not judging. I’ve just seen women use a baby to try and get back with a guy, and then that kid becomes a tool and not a person.

3 Likes

Far as I know (I’m in Canada), the father has to acknowledge that he’s the bio father, and if he doesn’t want to, then you’re out of luck. Unless you force his hand via the court system.

But to be honest, I’m still trying to wrap my head around the fact that you got pregnant by hopping into bed with a dude who’s already in a committed relationship :thinking:

Dude is clearly a loser and, assuming you knew he was already in a relationship when you hopped into bed with him, this pregnancy shows you picked a real winner for a sperm donor.

I would think you’re better off without his cheating ass

9 Likes

If you put him on then he’s got full legal access for emergency situations, custody, school, medical decisions. Etc…careful what you wish for.

8 Likes

In Missouri, you can’t give the child his last name or name him on the birth certificate unless he is present. When my son was born, he was given my last name since his dad and I weren’t married and his dad wasn’t there

1 Like

You need to look up your state laws

Depends on what state you are in

Dont put him on it save yourself alot of hassle later on

3 Likes

In Oregon you can not put the father’s name on the birth certificate unless you are married or he signs it.

1 Like

Don’t bother. Someday you’ll be glad

12 Likes

Call the hospital where your going to deliver and see if they have that information or contact a family lawyer who does a free consultation

No he has to sign it willingly

1 Like

If you do that you are VOLUNTARILY giving him 50/50 custody. Why the hell would you do that if he doesn’t want that child??

3 Likes

First of all I’m sorry what happening to you I can’t imagine how it feel to bring a child in this world alone and even worst is the dad doesn’t want part it. But let me tell you this he may not want to be but see it’s not how that works. Can’t imagine how someone can want nothing with a baby that they help make. It really sick that he could care less. My advice to you is he needs to understand you both have a part in this and he needs to step up and help and be there to sign the birth certificate. Then it can be up to you guys what you want to do if he want to sign over his rights. But you have a right to hold his accountable so he doesn’t just go doing this again and I pray he change his mind when he see that baby. You guys don’t have to be together but you guys should co-parent but it doesn’t always work out that way. Talk to him see if you guys can talk and come up with a plan. If he refuse then firgure out what you need to do and how you can hold him accountable. You shouldn’t have to do this alone and he needs to help you but your the mom the mom and what you decided is what be best for that baby. I hope everything works out and I’m so sorry you have to deal with this I’m not a single parents so I can’t imagine how hard it is to do it alone.

Yes look up your state laws and take it from a professional not street attorneys who have been through the situation. Every state is different. I’m in NC and have been in the family law legal field for 16 years… most of the comments up here are incorrect. Check your laws. Contact legal aid. Make a consult with an attorney just to know your rights. You won’t regret it.

3 Likes

Maybe next time don’t fuck dudes in a committed relationship :roll_eyes: people like you that give all women a bad name!

16 Likes

Nope. You can’t. You can file child support tho and after a DNA test they’ll automatically put it on then you’ll have to get a new copy of it. But no you don’t get to just do that.

1 Like

You can being him to court and make him do a paternity test and then he wont have a choice.

He was in a relationship for 5 years? And you were messing around with a taken man? Should be ashamed of yourself.

15 Likes

Kimberly Pratt oooo girl I wish someone would :rofl:

1 Like

I don’t know what the law is, but GF or not, if he made the baby he needs to be responsible for it.

1 Like

There’s a waiver he would have to sign if you’re not married with the baby’s dad or you have to do paternity unless you have info like social, bday, place of birth etc. but you’d also be signing for him…

If he doesnt want any responsibility to the child why would you want to put him on the certificate?? Stop trying to create future problems and roll with it. Even if you did somehow manage to get him on there he could forfeit his rights and stay living his life. Babies don’t trap males down :woozy_face:

3 Likes

If at all possible I would NOT put it on the birth certificate. If he wAnts no obligation don’t give him the honor!!!

4 Likes

I think it depends on state. In pa you can’t unless they are there or you’re married

1 Like

He would have to sign the birth certificate in order to get on it.

I am not married and my baby daddy is on our daughter’s with none of that having to happen

1 Like

If he doesn’t sign the paper they won’t put him on the birth certificate it’ll just be your name

Why would you ever want to force anyone to be a part of your kid’s life???

Depends on your state…and on what you want from him.

1 Like

Have a dna test done, he then will be automatically added to it.

Bot without DNA testing

Depends on the state. Im in texas and if you are not married the father has to sign a waver of paternity. Best way to do it is put him on child support. They will order dna and u can do it from there

Different states have different laws. So you might want to ask your local labor & Delivery…

Why would you want him in the child’s life if you already know he don’t want anything to do with it? Forcing him will only lead to hostilities that you don’t want. Walk away and raise your baby.

6 Likes

Not in the UK you can’t no

You need a paternity test or an affidavit of paternity, which I doubt he would sign

Depends on the state. When I was born my father was never put on the birth certificate until my father had requested a DNA test to see if he was the father which at that time it only had to be 98.4% to prove he was the father and turned out he was and my birth certificate was amended by the judge and my father was added to my birth certificate.

So you knew he had a woman but you still slept with him? Youre just as bad as him I feel sorry for that child cause you’re obviously dumb as shit

10 Likes

Unfortunately, he has to sign. But honestly baby girl, I wouldn’t even bother. I would give that precious baby your last name, and someone will come along and love the both of you all the same. But, you can take him to court, do the DNA and all that and make him pay child support. Only thing about that is, if he decides he wants rights to the child at that time he can have them. Does his girlfriend know he went and got another woman pregnant? Or is she ignorant and just doesn’t care?

2 Likes

Nope. He has to sign a paternity paper.

Most places you either need a court order paternity…which you can get if you are dead set on having it…or he has to willingly sign saying he is the father

Depends on your state laws. Everyone is different from personal experience. Check them out

Weather or not you want something from him or not, as far as I know you can list him as the father of your child on the birth certificate. However, I would think very hard on the matter before doing so. Should you meet someone who wants to take on the responsibility if being this child’s father and want to legally adopt it, then you have to have the father listed on the birth certificate relinquish his rights, in court for the adoption to proceed. Not listing this loser, in my opinion would be the right call. Good luck.

5 Likes

Why put it on the birth certificate if he doesn’t want it on there? That’s like him forcing you to have an abortion even if you didn’t want it.

1 Like

It depends on the state you live in, but most require him to sign the birth certificate or take a DNA test and the court will athen add him

I know in the state of Arizona you can put father on birth certificate without him knowing.

If you do this, his wife will have full access to your baby. Idk about you, but i wouldn’t want to put my baby in that position if I didn’t have to. A wronged stepmother is no child’s best friend and a really risky person

6 Likes

Make him sign away his rights to the child right now so you won’t have trouble with him later, if he changes his mind…

9 Likes

Never ever try to make another patent stay. They will just create resentment for the kids

3 Likes

He needs to sign a paternity paper if you are unwed.

If he doesn’t want anything to do with it why bother? Sounds like heartbreak for you and your child in the future.

3 Likes

If you go to court for a paternity test

This page is full of the stupidest questions lol :woman_facepalming:t3:

10 Likes

But, you’re both shitty people, and you should just leave it alone.

5 Likes

If he doesn’t want the child don’t do it, his loss not the baby’s. I’m sorry some people are just pathetic

You do not have to put the father on

This might come back to bite you. I’d leave it alone because he sounds like a loser.

5 Likes

I did not need to puty kid’s name on their birth certificates couldn’t do it without his SS number but that was a while back. Had to have his permission,but I guess states vary

First off, he clearly has no interest in you past sleeping with you if you’re 4 months along and he’s had a gf for 5 years. Cut your losses and have him sign his rights away. If you don’t have to out his name on the BC then don’t bother. If he doesn’t want to have anything to do with the kid, then he won’t. No matter hoe hard you push or take him to court. It will be easier on you to take his word and just cut him off.

2 Likes

Nope you can leave it blank theres no law saying you have to give the baby his last bame either. I gave my daughter my last name.

1 Like

Depends on the state. Here in texas im not married to my sons father and his name is on there but he had to sign it

I don’t think u can add him without his permission.

1 Like

Protect your baby now.

I wouldn’t have him sign it. I wouldn’t even give him the satisfaction and I wouldn’t give your child his last name.

If I was in your situation, I would give that baby the best life without him!

No one would ever have the opportunity to hurt my child.

7 Likes

Why would you want to if he wants nothing to do with the child? If you want child support you can file and give them his address they will find him and Dna test and you don’t have to put him on anything

1 Like

In Alabama, you cannot put the father in there, he has to do a paternity test first and then they will allow Him to sign it. Not you.

Is this some spite shit?? Why would you want to? Garbage move…

3 Likes

why exactly do you want him on there? Child support? He’s in a relationship and you got knocked up fucking him on the side… forget him. Raise that kid to have more respect in life.

13 Likes

EVery state has diff laws

You can’t put it. But you can absolutely drag his ass to court once baby is born and do the paternity testing and make his ass be held accountable for it. And I would highly recommend you do, and do it as early as you are able to. Don’t wait.

11 Likes

Since me and my kids father weren’t married he had to sign a paternity affidavit to have him on the birth certificate of all 4 of my kids… Washington and California…

1 Like

It depends on the state. If you want to and he won’t sign you may have to do a DNA. There are many reasons for that name to be on the birth certificate. Good luck to you in what you decide.

Nope, he has to sign the birth certificate. You could take it to court, but I think you should just leave it alone. If he doesn’t want to be involved, don’t force him.

I wouldn’t want anything to do with him. He was cheating so he’s already a POS and he wants nothing to do with the kid. Forget him

honey you can put whom ever you want to put as the father on the birth certificate. he will have up to a year to grow a back bone a sign the birth certificate.

Omg LEAVE THIS MAN ALONE. he told you he wants nothing to do with you guys and you obviously knew he was with someone else LEAVE HIM ALONE!

3 Likes

If he doesn’t want responsibility then for one what is going to make him change when the baby comes will he really be there for his child when he or she is born will he or she grow up and not knowing who there father is and I think each state is different regarding the birth certificate

Some of you women , instead of answering a question, are straight dragging a woman down. She is pregnant and her hormones are insane already with the added stress of life and the choices made. Do you all really think she she needs to be reading all these messages calling her names and judging her? If you don’t have an answer scroll on. You are all supposed to be grown ass women not bullies. And you should all be ashamed of yourselves and look in the mirror. Believe me none of us are perfect. Why be in a group that should give advice and support and degrade people, are you really all that bored? Get over yourselves and have some empathy, im sure she’s aware of any choices she has/had made. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

11 Likes

You probably will need a blood test to legally make sure he is the father.

1 Like

Idk but you both are obviously trash if you’re 4 months pregnant and hes been in a relationship for 5 years…

14 Likes

When I got pregnant I had already left my then husband and I put him on the birth certificate without his knowledge because I knew all his information. He was never even in the room with me.
But my advice is it is better in the long run to just leave him off. Yeah child support is ok if you get it. But then you have to share your child. Unless you get a long that isn’t gonna be fun.

5 Likes

Depending on the state in Pennsylvania if your not married the father has to sign acknowledgement papers or you have to get a DNA test especially if you go for child support. But I know the laws vary from state to state

2 Likes

I put my sons bio dad on his birth certificate without him signing or anything else… he decided to walk out on us when I was in labor and never came back but that was 13 years ago

If he wont agreeably sign it you will have to take him to court they will offer a dna test which will automatically if it comes back his make him responsible for the child for rest of his life. And he will have to pay child support if you want it and also will have to pay for the DNA test also. -alabama

2 Likes

It’s not advisable. If his name is on the certificate it makes it so much easier for him to come back years down the road and want his rights to the child, like visitation and custody and such. If he doesn’t want the responsibility, save yourself the future legal fees and just put yourself on there. It’s not a requirement.

If you don’t put it on there and he decides later that he wants rights he would have to petition the court, get DNA tests and it would take a lot longer and more money on his end. Putting his name on the certificate would make the process of collecting child support a tad easier, however, child support is not a guaranteed payment even when it’s court ordered. I sincerely hope you have family and a support system to help you :heart:

6 Likes

I didn’t put the father down on my son’s birth certificate… every situation is different. Do you want him in the baby’s life… if so then yes… but if you’re just worrying about financial issues… then no because God always finds a way. I’m blessed with a great support system and he is surrounded by people who love him

You can put his name down but he doesnt have to sign it and agree that its his child. The courts will come after him for child support and they can request a paternity test. If they dont he can. If he truly wants nothing to do with with this child then he can sign his rights away. Give him this option. You cant force anyone to be in someone life but you can hold them responsible for their choices. By him signing away his rights you can apply for assistance and have more of a chance at getting it. Single parenting is hard and costly. Dont allow yourself to be a doormat for this guy and not hold him responsible. The last thing you need is to be years down the road needing assistance and then trying deal with all of this with your child remembering it. No child needs to hear that their father doesnt want them. Thats damaging.

9 Likes

No he doesnt have to sign it. You can tell them no. Or you dont know who the dad is whatever you want. But if hes not there he cant sign. If u give a name them will put that name on it. So just dont.