Can I out the father on the birth certificate if he doesn't want to be?

Yes you can put his name on the birth certificate although it’s a long process without his signature. You’ll have to get a court ordered paternity test.

1 Like

DNA is your best bet. My daughter is 13 and he bio dad didn’t want her. After I had her he requested DNA to prove she wasn’t his to his new gf. Well sucked for him cause he was her dad. Judge ordered child support. In court in front of a judge he requested his name on her birth certificate and for her to have his last name. Judge said ok but that doesn’t get you out of child support and you have to petition the court and request any visitations. My daughter has my last name, his name is not on the birth certificate and he’s only seen her 5 times, last time he saw her she was 4. She’s now 13. Guess your state and judge will determine the outcome. Good luck!

1 Like

As sad as it is, if the father doesn’t want to be in the child’s life, I think it’s best not to force someone to be a parent if they don’t want to. In saying that he needs to grow up and take responsibility for his actions. And I’m one of those people that thinks his girlfriend has every right to know that he has a child on the way.

7 Likes

I think you probably already know what you did was wrong, (assuming you knew he was in a relationship), I’m not going to bash you, you live and learn and I sincerely hope you learned from this. Every state is different, but I would encourage you to keep him off the birth certificate. For several reasons really. If someone doesnt want to be in your child’s life you shouldn’t force them. I think that can ultimately put your child in danger. If he isnt willing or ready to be a father and he is expected to watch his baby he can accidentally or even purposely hurt your baby if he gets overwhelmed or frustrated, it happens all the time. If his gf stays knowing he has a baby that was conceived during their relationship she could hold resentment towards your baby and end up hurting him, maybe not physically but emotionally, and without even realizing she is doing it. Say you do get him on the bc, and he still has nothing to do with baby, then what was even the point? When you find a real man that is willing to be there for you and your baby, it’ll just make it harder for him to adopt, especially if the father holds a grudge and just wants to make it hard on you.
All that being said if you really want him on the bc you can make it happen through the courts. He might just be saying he doesn’t want anything to do with the baby because he is scared his gf will leave him. Idk what kind of woman she is, but I think she deserves to know that he got someone else pregnant. She deserves to know that he is the kind of man that won’t take care of his kids, especially if she wants them in the future. However, if you tell her, you need to do it in the most sincere way possible. Remember, none of this is her fault and she is going to be in pain and probably lash out at you. Don’t respond with cruel words, stay calm and polite she doesnt deserve anything less. If they do break up, I really hope you don’t start a relationship with him. He doesn’t deserve it. Hopefully, you have already decided you don’t want him, and if so you should let his gf know you aren’t telling her because you hope to keep him, only because she deserves to know. I hope things work out for you, just remember that baby is the most important thing. You can be a single mom, women do it everyday. You are strong enough to be everything that baby needs. This ended up being a longer reply than I intended so sorry about that, but I do want to say one last thing. You should consider therapy and parenting classes. I only say that because a lot of women who are willing to be the side piece have low self esteem. And I don’t mean that to be rude. But you deserve to be the main woman and nothing less. Therapy will help you deal with that and learn to forgive yourself, if you feel ashamed, and help you move forward. Parenting classes because its hard being a parent, especially if you don’t have a great support system. But you can do it, as long as you are willing to do whatever you have to do for that baby.

13 Likes

Here in Ohio a signature is required from each parent for each child. I am not certain if there is a way to add a dad if he dosent sign.

1 Like

If you know who the father is put him on the birth certificate.
When I was pregnant the hospital sent a list of birth certificate rules. Some of them were very specific : if you know your husband is the father, if you know your husband isn’t the father, …

I had my son 2 years ago. Work at the same hospital. They said unless dad filled out info and signed he couldn’t be on birth certificate and baby couldn’t have his last name. They made sure to explain his responsibility of signing it. (His 4th kid he kinda knew anyways)

No you wont unless he signs

I’m in the same situation hun. My daughter had met her dad once. And honestly it’s so much easier doing it on your own. And I would never ever put a man in the birth certificate again. MY OWN PERSONAL REASONS WITH MY LITTLE BOY. Trust me better off him not even being onit xx

If he doesn’t want to have a kid, I would have him prove it by signing his rights away. If not take him to court so you can get child support.

6 Likes

I believe it is different in every state. Maybe just ask at the hospital you will be deliverying at or ask your OB.

Don’t put his name on the birth certificate. Down the road if you want to change your child’s name you will need his permission. Someone I know wanted to change her childs last name to her husband last name(the only father the child had known) but couldn’t because she had sperm donors name on the birth certificate and sperm donor is who knows where

2 Likes

YES YE$! Yes! YES I Yessss! PLEASE Do!

1 Like

I know who the father of my 3 year old is… hes never had squat to do with her and never been named! Screw him… just do it on your own and it saves a tonne of drama!

1 Like

Don’t bother you’ll be better off without

Yes you sure can, however in some states it automatically gives him rights to the child and you may have to fight to have them taken away

3 Likes

In Ireland you can’t do that unless you’re married.

Think how it would or would not benefit your child. Think in perspective of your child’s point of view and decide that way. If you don’t put his name down you can still request a dna test for support but it is more work more stress. If you will never need support then putting his name down will be more for ancestry in the future. If you will ever need public assistance in any way you will need proof dna or birth certificate of who the father is (at least my state required it) before they will assist you. More stress long way…

Honestly if you out him. On it it gives him rights to your child if he doesn’t want to have anything to do with ur child I wouldn’t put him On he doesn’t deserve any kind of rights.

2 Likes

One question. Were they on a break🤔

11 Likes

My ex left when I was 4 months pregnant with our son, my son has his last name( which I wanted it that way) but he is not on his birth certificate but there was a paternity test done cause he said I cheated and he wasn’t his( which he was blaming me and he was cheating) . So paternity was established but was never put on birth certificate or listed as father of him. I think it honestly goes by the state. In your case if he wants nothing to do with the baby I wouldn’t even do it. My ex called right after paternity was established and asked for our son, which he new nothing about him at 4 months old. I made him come over with current gf and get to know him before I allowed him to take him anywhere or overnight

2 Likes

My daughter is 9 and her dad was not there or present when she was born. I knew I wouldnt give her his last name bc I didn’t know if he would step up. His name was on her birth certificate without his signature but my daughter has my last name. I did eventually take him to court for child support and they did a paternity test and the judge asked me if I wanted to give her his last name and I declined. They did issue a new birth certificate with his signature and she still kept my last name.

1 Like

I wouldn’t. You will need permission to do anything. I know several women who have had to deal with a father who didn’t want anything to do with a child but was still a pain in the ass. You wouldn’t even be allowed to travel or move without his consent.

If he doesn’t want to, than don’t do it. You are only setting yourself up for trouble. You will need permission from him for every little thing.

Girl why the fuck would you want to do that?
Do you realize if you put him on their first off thats fraud if he didnt sign it. And second why would you want him to have any rights to him AT ANY MOMENT if hes not planing to be in his life

2 Likes

Don’t. Give that baby your name and carry on a boss lady life!

3 Likes

I’m hoping to understand this situation…

You’re currently pregnant by someone That have been in a relationship for 5 years. He wants nothing to do with the child but you want him on the birth certificate?!!! And want the child to have his last name?!!

If I’m correct girl heck no. Give that baby your last name and leave that man alone. Situation like this only brings headaches. If later on he changes his mind ammendment can be made to the birth certificate

9 Likes

I live in Alabama and I was told that he had to be present with 2 forms of I.D, agree to paternity and agree that no DNA was required that this document could be used in court for child support. If he was not there with the I.Ds or did not agree to that he would not be allowed on the birth certificate. If he questioned the paternity they would do a DNA test at the hospital. Now if he refused I could still give her his last name but he wouldnt be listed as father.

Yes, and is the best thing you can do.

Dont make it easier for him to have rights if hes not interested …

1 Like

If he doesn’t want to be a dad, don’t force it.

1 Like

My mom always reminds me of how I “fucked up” by putting my sons father in the certificate, she always tells me that it was stupid and how I’m gonna have to ask him for permission for everything. To this day nothing has happened but I don’t doubt it would cause problems if I were to want to take him to my home country or something (we’re seperated).

Depends on the state. In California my sister had to have the dad there in order for him to be on it and sign it

I would not give that child his name if I was not married to him,and second why would you be with someone who is with someone else. Sound like a piece of crap to me. RUN!

1 Like

I would for the kids sake only. If your expecting child support then u must to receive it. I have strong feelings that every dad should be on the Cert regardless. Even if they don’t want contact, it’s still the child’s dad.

1 Like

Uhmm No​:woman_facepalming:, that’d be considered false signature, fraud, etc and could lead to imprisonment…like you know this already surely? Also why would u want to if he didn’t? That just gives him rights to take it away if he proves u unfit or anything like that, & court costs ain’t cheap :money_mouth_face:

They need a (facepalm) option on posts nowadays! :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

Take him to court qnd theyll make him

I think it varies by state. I was told for my state, u can list any one u want as the father.

Almost 5 years with his parnter and you want to go make a baby with him :roll_eyes::sweat_smile:

19 Likes

So you’re the mistress :woman_facepalming:t3:

23 Likes

Don’t try to force him to be a father. If he doesn’t want to be on there didn’t make him. All it does is give him more rights to the child.

7 Likes

You can put anyone on the bc. I put my wife and she clearly isn’t the actual “father”

1 Like

You can list anyone but if he gets it he can denie it also. That’s when you’ll need a paternity test or a support letter from him stating he is the father👍

When I had my daughter I wasn’t married and Missouri would not let me put the father on the birth certificate without his concent

1 Like

The timeline is interesting but the only reason you’d want him on the bc is to get child support. I’d tell his significant other and let her dump his butt and go on with your life without him.

9 Likes

No. He has to sign a VAP voluntary acknowledgment of paternity (here in Illinois) anyways. You can’t put him on if he doesn’t sign. Otherwise you could just put whoever you want on your kids birth certificate. Now you can still make him pay child support etc. You just have to file through the court

2 Likes

In my state you can put whoever you want as the father. He does have the right to go to court and have his rights severed but he’ll still be on the paperwork as the father.

Depends on the state. In New Mexico, the dad has to be present in order to be put on the birth certificate otherwise you can’t do it.

1 Like

I would leave the birth certificate blank and then get a paternity test once baby is born.

8 Likes

You will have to get a paternity test.

Pretty sure for the dad to be on the birth certificate he has to be present when registering the child…as he has to sign

3 Likes

Nope. You cannot put anybody on the birth certificate that doesnt wanna be on it. You have to go thru dhs & prove hes the father then theyll go frm there. Shouldnt be sleeping with taken mens. Nasty.

9 Likes

He needs to be there to sign. Only option to establish paternity if he doesn’t want to step up is file for child support, they’ll do a paternity test and go from there. Make sure if you go that route you then make a custody agreement bc depending where you are as soon as paternity is established or someone is put on the BC they have as many rights as you do.

3 Likes

You can put whatever but it won’t be official. I put my current husbands name on our daughters but since I was still legally married to my ex husband his name was listed. After he signed a paper stating he wasn’t her dad his name was removed and my current husbands name was added. (Divorce took years because my ex dragged it out)

In your situation you will have to establish paternity for his name to be legalize onto the birth certificate.

2 Likes

Nope he has to sign the paternity papers
Mine refused to sign and her BC says not present. He ended up coming around and wanted to be on it after a few weeks and we had to sign an affidavit of paternity and get it notarized to add him on it.

3 Likes

Honestly if he doesn’t want to be a dad he won’t. He doesn’t deserve to be on the BC if you ask me. I wouldn’t put him on there. Just my opinion I dont know all the rules and laws about it.

4 Likes

Putting him on the birth certificate gives him all the legal rights of a father. I personally wouldn’t put his name or even last name on my child. If you need any financial support then child support will step in and he can request paternity, give up his rights, but he will still be financially responsible whether he likes it or not. Don’t force him to be Dad, but he will still have to help with the cost.

8 Likes

If he doesn’t want anything to do with this baby then why would you want him on the birth certificate? Leave it blank. It will be much easier in the future if a man wants to step in and be the " father"

11 Likes

In Nebraska, if not married, you have to sign a Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity to be put on the birth certificate without going to court…

1 Like

Yes you can! He’ll have to sign so it’ll be a court issue probably. It’s not that expensive…they’ll do DNA test for proof and then he’ll have to sign. Once he’s in birth certificate then you can receive child support, BUT that also gives him rights to see his child. Gotta decide if you want him around or not. I wish you luck momma!

3 Likes

So he cheated on his gf n had a baby with you?

6 Likes

Depends were you live about…
I hâd my babies în The UK and i couldn’t put him on Their birth certificate due to him not being there

Check on the rules for your state.

2 Likes

she obv knew to all of a sudden knowing how long him and his partner has been together haha shes a mistress got caught preggerz n wants him in the bc to either try “trap” him or for child maintenence, he obv dont want nothing to do with the baba incase his mrs of 5 years finds out…just my view on it lol

4 Likes

Speak with your local Vital Statistics office for the Legislation applicable to where you live.

2 Likes

He had to be present at the hospital to be on the birth certificate. They would need his signature

Here in Texas he has to present to sing a acknowledgement of paternity I just had my son my 3 weeks ago and my fiance had to sign that and than put his own name on the birth certificate

In pa if you’re not married he has to sign it

Depends on the hospital. If he doesn’t want to be in the life of your kid why bother.

1 Like

My opinion…If he doesn’t want to be apart of the child’s life, I’d keep him off it. So one day when you do find the person you’re gonna be with forever, they can adopt your child & you won’t have to deal with messy court stuff.

12 Likes

Why do you want him to be on the BC?

You’ll regret it at the end my 1st kid doesn’t have her dad on the birth certificate and the state still picked up the case and they are trying to put him on child support but he doesn’t want anything to do with her and they still force it. My 5yr old dont want anything to do with him either. He was never there when I was pregnant or when she was born or till this day… dont force anything or anyone because at the end you’ll see it was much better without him.

2 Likes

I couldnt put tje father on either of my kids birth certificates without a witness, and notary because we arent married.

why are you having another mans baby if he has a girlfriend for five years.

18 Likes

Women be so proud to be the side chick :face_vomiting: and no you cannot put him on the birth certificate without his consent. He has to sign it willingly. Next time don’t get knocked up by a dude that is in a relationship. Trappin ass

27 Likes

In Michigan the father has to be present to sign the birth certificate

1 Like

I think the OP wants to put his name on it so she can collect child support.

4 Likes

It’s not all her fault he is the one who cheated quick to blame the girl when you don’t know what happened

6 Likes

I’m in Kansas and the father of my child wasn’t there for pregnancy or delivery. You can give your child any name you want and no you don’t have to put the father in the birth certificate. He has to be present to put his name and sign the birth certificate when the baby is born.
Something to think about, your child will ask questions and it’s up to you to tell the truth or a lie.
My suggestion and opinion, give your baby your name. Don’t make it harder for your baby. One of your many jobs as a mother is to protect your child and provide truth when their mature enough to understand
Now you need to seek lawyers advice for support because it’s hard being a single mother

1 Like

Where i live you are not allowed to list someone on the birth certificate without having there consent to do so.

I wouldn’t have him sign away rights…he fathered the child he doesn’t have to visit and be in it’s life but he should be paying support and not leave it to the taxpayers

1 Like

I don’t know why you would want to do that . You can give the child his last name wt out him being on it . Or ask him to give up all rights . or take him to court . but to me sounds like a bunch of drama you want to start . You can save all his info . any pics you may have . To give to your child once they are old enough . But starting drama wt him an his gf .Sounds like you are mad cause he doesn’t want anything to do with you or the child. Maybe don’t get involved with someone who’s already involved.

7 Likes

If you apply for child support with him not on it they will subpoena him for a dna test typically

How petty and shady of you. Why would you put his name on it if he doesn’t want it? Just get a paternity test done, get your child support and leave him alone, it’s your fault for messing around with a man in a relationship, if you wanted a happy family man to be on the certificate and drop everything for you and baby then you should’ve found a single one​:woman_shrugging:t2::roll_eyes:

20 Likes

I had to also do a paternity acknowledgement agreement and a paternity test you can take him to court and they can issue a paternity test and they’ll have to put his name on it and you can go for child support as well they will help you

He has to sign it unless you are married.

Nope just put unknown if you dont want to sign a father

You should ask his gfs opinion.

20 Likes

Father has to be there in vegas anyway and sign for it. If you want it for child support you can file with or with out him on it

You can’t put him on it but you can give your baby his last name

1 Like

Stop judging her…
It takes 2 to tango!

10 Likes

You can in Ohio but if a man does that I would not give that baby his last name he doesn’t deserve that.

3 Likes

My SO had to bring his drivers license with him to sign the birth certificate. If he doesn’t want anything to do with your baby, why would you want him on there?

3 Likes

Mmmm my question is why would you wanna? You can but he gotta sign it I believe, they also might wanna DNA test

Where I live you cannot put his name on it without him there to sign the birth certificate.

2 Likes

Where I live, you dont have to put him on it when they baby is born. But if you go for child support, a DNA test will be required and then at that point he’ll be put on the birth certificate regardless.

1 Like

Depends on the state. Like in California you can’t put the father’s name if he isn’t present to sign the certificate. You can still give the baby the name and last name you wish. But honestly you can’t force someone to desire a child or a family if they don’t want it. It’s our responsibility to choose wisely who we choose to bring life into this world with and accept the responsibility of such with or with out the partner.

No you can’t. And im sorry but why are your pregnant with his baby when hes in a long term relationship? If he doesn’t want too you cant make him. Sounds like you are out to cause trouble.

11 Likes

Don’t “out” him on the birth certificate…“Out” his ass at the child support office. Get u a copy of birth certificate with just your name on it…u will be better off in the long run!

3 Likes