Can I put cereal in my babies bottle?

I’m in need of some opinions about putting cereal in my baby’s bottle to help them sleep through the night. Did it really work? And at what age did you start it? Thanks!

99 Likes

Don’t do it. The baby will sleep when it is ready. Baby’s cannot digest stuff like that until 6 months or later.

8 Likes

I started rice cereal at 4 months and my daughter slept through the night the very first night.

1 Like

I did it but found out that it ruined my bottles with poking bigger holes in the nipple to get the cereal out. Also, I think it stretches their bellies to want more formula so kinda makes the matter worse. Depending on age I would recommend baby food more often during the day!! Good luck :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

No food until 6 months. Babies wake up to feed. Its normal.

10 Likes

Don’t put cereal in bottles! It’s a choking hazard

7 Likes

I’ll probably get so much crap for this, but oh well…

A lot of studies will say it doesn’t work, it’s empty calories and it’s a choking hazard.

But I started my son on rice in his bottle at 1 month and he sleeps very well. He’s now 4 months and naps for 4 hrs and sleeps through the night for 8 to 10.

As far as the choking, if you use common sense and sit the baby up and give them breaks (aka pace feeding) they should be fine.

My pediatrician recommended it because my son had reflux!

But if you’re having issues with sleep, another great product is Gripe Water! It’s natural so it’s not harmful for baby and it’s helped my son with fussiness and restlessness tremendously!

13 Likes

I never did it and my baby just learned to sleep through the night later on

1 Like

Rice or oatmeal cereal at about 6 wks

1 Like

My baby has been on oatmeal since 2 months and he sleeps wonderfully overnight. He’s almost 5 months.

2 Likes

Any good pediatrician will tell you never to put cereal or rice in a bottle!! Also, baby bellies can’t digest foods until at least 6-8 months. When the baby is ready to sleep through the night, she will. Stop rushing it!!

12 Likes

My doctor had me add a little bit of rice cereal to my baby’s bottles at about 2 months

1. Choking hazard
  2. Unnecessary calories
  3. Fills them up with said unnecessary calories, making sure they take in less necessary calories from formula
  4. Linked to SIDS
  5. Research OPEN/VIRGIN GUT
  6. No.
16 Likes

Worked for me, we did it for reflux purposes. About 3 months is when we started it.

1 Like

My son has been having rice cereal in his night bottle since 2 months. He’s now almost 6 months and sleeps through the night every night. OCCASIONALLY he will wake up during the night but that happens very rarely.

2 Likes

Better call in some people to help so you can rest, that baby will sleep when ready

3 Likes

Babies wake up to eat. It’s pretty normal. Honestly you should just wait until they’re old enough to digest food or you’re going to regret it.

3 Likes

Ok ladies I had to doctor ordered me too cause my son had acid reflux so bad and it did help with the reflux he only got twice a day in his bottle but I nursed him all the time but it’s your discretion on what you feel you need to do honestly

5 Likes

I put one tbsp of rice cereal in a bottle before bed at 6wks for both my kids and both of them slept 6 to 7 hours a night.

Both are happy healthy and smart 10 and 4 years later :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I did, before knowing it shouldn’t really go in the bottle. It’s what parents did “back in the day”. FWIW, it helped with my daughter.

I understand that you need sleep but to do this just so you can sleep is horrible. No food until 6 months.

9 Likes

I started rice cereal at 2 months but I spoon fed my boys. If you formula feed get the Enfamil AR it already has rice cereal in it

Started all my kids on rice in bottles at 1 week. They are all healthy and it did help them to sleep longer

1 Like

It’s luck of the Irish if u ask me! Ebf both my kids and they both slept thru the night by 6 weeks

I did at 2-3 months while waiting for approval to get Enfamil AR covered by WIC. I’m not sure if they still make that formula, but it had added rice starch that thickened it a little.

1 Like

Ask your doctor not Facebook🤦🏻‍♀️

4 Likes

My doctor suggested this for my daughter. I just began feeding her a little rice cereal 2 Tablesppons before bedtime at 2 months and yes it worked.

1 Like

Yes it works, I started at 3 months.

1 Like

My son is 2 months old and the reflux Dr told us to add cereal. Which when your child is choking every bottle you will try anything. He has quit choking so bad and sleeps 7 hours at night.

The Dr put my great daughter on it because she kept throwing up so she’s almost 2 now and a bill of health sometime it takes common sense Dr are not Jesus they are human she had a good dr

Also our family dr sai drht cereal is BAD for babies, I didn’t ask why, just took his word as I trust him :relaxed:

1 Like

Our parents did it with us and we are just fine, guys.
Chill.
Maybe get some advice from your doctor if you’re unsure about it.

Babies arent meant to sleep through the night!!!

5 Likes

These comments wont help you the only answer is to ask your pediatrician instead of Facebook

1 Like

Never did it with any of my 3

I did it with my daughter from about 3 months until 9 months. We did it for reflux purposes, and had the go ahead from the doctor. She never had any issues, and it worked for her.

1 Like

My boys had baby rice early!! My first son started on it at 3 months and my second even younger! My youngest has Down syndrome and when he was drinking he lost a lot of his milk so we thickened his bottle with his rice and the SALT team had no problem with it. Never done any of my boys any harm at all x

None of my kids ever got rice cereal…

1 Like

My kids had acid reflux and their pediatricians suggested putting rice cereal in their formula about 2 months old to help them keep the formula down. We also used special formula for reflux. Once we started put rice in their formula, they were much happier and full bellied babies! I’d check with your pediatrician first though. Also, you’ll have to widen the bottle top if you put rice in as it won’t come out of the bottle as easy and that’s tricky to find the perfect size to make it. I used a hot sterile pin.

I started my babe with rice cereal in his bottle at night to help get him though the night a little better–he was, and still is, a big eater! He was about 2 months and was putting down about 4-6 oz at each feeding. I got the ok from my pediatrician to do so, he’s now 6 months and he still gets rice cereal in his bottles at night. He’s sleeps from 730pm to 6am consistently, and has done close to those hours since about 3 months.
It’s totally up to you and your pediatrician, every baby is different but I found that the rice cereal helped my babe to get through the night a little better.

1 Like

Please ask your doctor. That can be really dangerous to do. I know losing sleep is awful but eventually they will sleep through the night and you’ll miss those late night moments.

6 Likes

It didn’t work for us

I started at right about 7 or 8 weeks…worked amazing.

1 Like

My daughter’s doctor told me to never do this… I would speak to your childs doctor and not facebook

1 Like

I did it for my son starting at 5months bc he was drinking 6-8oz every 2-3hrs he was able to sleep better and would then go to eating every 4-5hrs

My son was put on cereal in the bottle at only a couple weeks old due to severe acid reflux. It didnt help him sleep.

Cereal in bottles can be harmful to your baby.
Babies wake up at night. That’s just how it goes.
Take a nap though out the day to help you during night feedings
My son is 10 months old and still wakes up once or twice during the night to eat.
Your baby will sleep all night when he/she is ready.
Instead of putting cereal in a bottle try feeding late. Like 10-11 before you go to bed!

7 Likes

Fuxking moron… shouldnt have had kids if you cannot handle the wakings…

7 Likes

Doctors recommend not doing this as it can make you baby choke.

5 Likes

I started my daughter on cereal when she was 2 months but it was for her reflux

Seriously, the admins shouldnt even post these…

6 Likes

Oatmeal in my first baby’s bottle at 3 months and it worked wonders. My second baby wasn’t having it so we started feeding her oatmeal at 3 months

1 Like

I did baby cereal in all 3 of my kids bottles. Day and night. They are all fine- 5 yrs old 3 yrs old and 2 yrs old. :woman_shrugging: it’s all up to you. Try it and see if it seems to help/work if not just dont do it anymore.

Adding cereal to babies bottle can potentially be dangerous. I think it would be best to ask your paediatrician, if he/she advices you to do so, than that could be something to help your little one sleep at night. Most times babies will find their own routine. Mine is 13 months old and has never and still doesn’t sleep through the night. It will come though, be patient.

3 Likes

Yes 4 months. Hes now 5. I didnt put a lot in just enough to fill his little belly.

1 Like

I did with my daughter at about 3 months old. Mind you this was 20 years ago & dr said it was fine. Now they say no food til 6 months or something like that but it’s your baby & you know what’s best for your child. Health dept tried to tell me to put my child on 2% milk cause whole milk will make her fat lol. Again it’s your baby. As far as people saying don’t ask FB you’re here for opinions.

My mom did. I didn’t. I just fed em first then gave bottle.

This is a myth. It doesn’t keep them full longer it can cause problems with there digestive systems because baby’s body is not ready for that. Also it will only cause baby’s stomach to stretch in the end making them need more and more food and gain excessive amounts of weight which can affect them later in life. It is also a choking hazard. Cereal is only meant to be spoon fed between 4-6 months depending on readiness and how well baby can sit.

10 Likes

I started at 6 weeks because milk wasn’t filling him up. He’s 47 now 6 ft yall and 200 pounds. He definitely needed it . Lol

1 Like

I like how everyone is saying it’s bad when the post doesn’t even say the age of the child. Each kid is different and so is every Mom. Let people raise their kids how they want to. She asked on a Mom group so what! Isn’t that what it’s for! I didn’t know crap when I had my 1st child at 18 and guess how I learned? From other Mothers!

2 Likes

If your gonna do cereal with spoon fed it to him before bed .

1 Like

I can’t believe all these nasty comments… everyone handles stuff differently jeez.

2 Likes

Some of you women are just assholes…

Do not give cereal in bottle omg they can choke and babies find their night day routine eventually mine finally did at about 12 months old

2 Likes

I would def ask and speak to your Ped. I was told to put 1 tbsp for every 2 oz in my daughter’s bottle starting at 3weeks cause of acid reflux and it worked wonders. My daughter never ate more than 4 oz at a time (every 4-5 hours) all the way until she rejected formula at 10months old

1 Like

It works mine is 5 months started at 4 1/2 with just a cap full in a 4 oz bottle maybe less then that now I’m straight feeding it to her in the mornings and at night before bed she wakes up maybe once after about 6 hours threw then back to sleep.

My son had bad reflux and we had to start rice cereal in he’s bottle from 2 months old ended up being the best thing for him… He was also a guzzler and was very hungry, I’ve had 5 children now and done it with all of them, my son is 26 and my youngest is 16 months… You start with a very sml amount, like a pinch and gradually as they drink more you can add a bit more… Speak to your doctor if you feel to unsure :+1:

We have been putting cereal in our twin girls bottles since they were like 1 month because their dr said it would help with reflux and it did they don’t vomit their entire bottle up now. They now get 6oz of formula with 2tbsps of cereal at every bottle every 4 hours during the day and sleep from like 930pm until 6am. But like I said we didn’t do it to help them sleep so you do what feels right for you! And also they are healthy, happy babies with no tummy problems!

Okay so I did with my first 2 girls. BUT I didnt with my last. My middle girl was given a bottle mixed by the other side of the family and it was mixed so thick she couldnt burp or spit it up. She got dropped off at my house after being given the bottle. She choked so bad my step dad at the time gave her basically mouth to mouth until he suctioned it all out of her. Waiting on paramedics to arrive. We almost lost her. So since that day we havent done cereal in bottles.

4 Likes

Talk to your paediatrician for goodness sake

Simlac makes formula with rice in it

2 Likes

If it’s a healthy baby I started one scoop around 6 months .

Never did it, no need to.

How old is your baby?
Cereal in a bottle is not safe
Cereal filling them up is a myth, because it’s literally empty. There is no nutritional value in the cereal.

6 Likes

My oldest was on it from about a month old and on. Every single bottle. She was in the N.I.C.U. and they made the decision to put it in her bottles because she was aspirating just formula. It did not stretch her stomach and did not make her want more. She also never choked because she was pace fed. You can buy nipples for your bottles that are made for when you add cereal.

1 Like

Just cause it works for some people doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. It’s a choking hazard. And it may not work for your baby. Sleep is developmental and babies need to wake up at night.

5 Likes

I never put it in my babies bottles. When formula or breast milk wasnt filling them anymore i would spoon feed them some rice cereal before bed then do their nighttime bottle.

1 Like

So idk how it’s a choking hazard tbh. We used the baby rice when my daughter was 5 months old (our peds told us to bc she was not getting full off of just her milk) it literally says you can mix it in the bottle, also it dissolves in the milk so I just don’t see how it’s a choking hazard Unless you just don’t shake the bottle up good enough.?

3 Likes

I think it works for some kids but not all
I had four kids, two of them did well with the rice cereal, the other two didn’t need it

Yes…2 mo(30 - 27 now)
All 4 of my grandkids between 2mo-4mo ( 5-6-10-12 now) it’s good to do that. Rice cereal is the best

2 Likes

I have to give my son cereal in his bottle for his reflux but let me tell you it does not keep him fuller longer, he still eats every 3 hours just as he did before.

Why do people have to have their babies sleeping through the night so damn quick… both my boys woke up my now 3 year old started sleeping through at 10 months old my nearly 7month old is still waking 1-3 times a night… it’s what they do they will grow out of it just deal with it because it’s part of parenthood :see_no_evil::roll_eyes:

All mine were on it by 1 month. Getting up every hour to feed became impossible. I was exhausted.

7 Likes

Ok so first of all… All of these over reacting comments trying to scare the girl is ridiculous! My daughter was actually on formula that had cereal already in it prescribed to her by her dr when she was an infant. Smh

3 Likes

My son n daughter I put cereal in their bottle of formula at 2wks of age

5 Likes

Worked with a pediatrician for many years…he always advised Mothers if they wanted to try the baby cereal …asked they stay away from any rice or oatmeal.
Barley agreed with baby’s digestive system. Does not constipated as rice some times does.

1 Like

Also if you’re worried about baby sleeping all night, you need to start a routine (if you haven’t already) both my babies slept through the night at 1 month (I also checked with peds to make sure their weight gain and ounces intake would be okay for that) which both was eating 5-6 ounces by 1 month. And before anyone says that’s too much they will be fat, my daughter has always been small and still is and my son is also just right in weight! And rice does keep them fuller longer, at least our peds said it did and when we started it with sis I could tell a big difference in her she wouldn’t be so grumpy in between feedings wanting to eat so soon!!

You may think I am crazy, but I started feeding my son half cereal and half of the first fruits out of a spoon when he was two weeks old! This was recommended by his pediatrician. He was starving on just milk , drinking eight oz. every two hours and crying for more. He ate like a little pig no problems.

4 Likes

U guys do know pediatricians tell u to do it, if baby has reflux. Idk how my mom, aunts and uncles survived. Back then they put cereal in bottles and kayro syrup. My mom put kayro syrup in my bottle and cereal too. It is not recommended for getting ur baby to sleep longer. But ur kid ur decision. I started feeding my LO cereal with a spoon at 4 months.

1 Like

Doesn’t always work. My son it did for my daughter it didn’t.

Best to feed by spoon
Giving cereal to soon can cause life long allergies. Ask your pediatrician.

3 Likes

From the time my daughter was 3 months old I put rice cereal in her bottle.not too much,just like a tbsp of rice bc she wasn’t getting full off of just formula

It can be a choking hazard. In my opinion, don’t do it. People have done it for a long time, but for them to not recommend it, means it didnt turn out great for every baby. If you do decide, I would make sire you don’t prop and leave unattended, like some moms do.

Don’t ask the “Facebook doctors” only you and your pediatrician know your baby. It works. Ask the doc but there’s no harm in trying it. It work for mine when she was going through a growth spurt and was hungry ALL the time.

4 Likes

Choking hazard. Sleep is also a developmental milestone that can’t be cured by “food”

3 Likes

Only formula or breast milk until 6mos! Baby’s little guts aren’t ready for that.

Cereal in a bottle is a HUGE choking hazard.

Sleep is developmental, overfilling their bellies doesn’t help.

Lots of mom’s have done it and say their babies were fine but honestly, I’d never risk something as important as my baby for something that might not even work…

9 Likes

My twins was put on oatmeal 1 teaspoon to every ounce when they was in the NICU they was about 3 weeks old, but it was for severe reflux plus they was also on Zantac as the acid reflux was causing tons of bradycardia’s in the nicu and this helped them tons. I would talk to your peds about this.

1 Like

Absolutely not.
No solids before 6 months, rice cereal is just a filler that takes up space in their stomach where they require the developmental nutrients from bm/formula, and anything added to a bottle is a choking hazard.
Babies are supposed to wake frequently, it comes with the territory. Not to mention babies who are so exhausted they dont wake themselves is a SIDS risk, if they cant wake themself up to remind their body to breath they can pass away.

ETA if your ped suggest cereal before 6 months especially in a bottle you need to find a new doctor. Imagine what other potentially dangerous and outdated advice they are reccomending

5 Likes

The doctors all have me giving my son rice cereal in his bottle because he has really severe reflux and in Australia they’ve made it really hard for you to get any medication for it and they wanted me to give that a go first. He is nearly 5 months now and the difference is really astounding and it’s so nice to not have to see him choke or be uncomfortable from it anymore but I can assure you it doesn’t stop him from waking up during the night. Also, I don’t understand why people think it would be a choking hazard it literally says you can mix it with formula.

1 Like

You can put into the baby bottle will help sleep at night and also drs tell you to do it n did it with both my kids so dont jump all over her but about if you dont like it move on n dont write a comment on it

2 Likes