Can I put cereal in my babies bottle?

No not safe! And if your doctor tried saying it is you need a new doctor!

1 Like

Yes, I did, I consulted their pediatrician 1st but no I don’t think it worked, what did work was a schedule, & keeping to it, it’s OK for the baby to cry, & expect not to get any sleep, especially if there’s a newborn in the house, change that diaper, change clothes if needed, give the baby the bottle & lay him/her down, they’ll be fine, & so will you

1 Like

My oldest was on cereal in his bottles and baby food at a week old because he was always hungry but my doctor and I decided together to do this.He did great with it but it is not always recommended. I would talk to the doctor before starting any food and get their feedback and then it will still ultimately be up to you

Different pages say different things. Babies wake up during the night thats just what they do. Idk how old your baby is so nobody can really give you advise I would talk to your pediatric

Okay so everyone saying it’s not safe but I was told by my son’s doctor to give him cereal in his bottle for his reflux… should I see a different doctor? I’m confused…

1 Like

Yes it works but only tablespoon in 8 oz it won’t look like much but to a baby it is

1 Like

Cereal in a bottle is a no no

2 Likes

Damn all these nasty comments! I thought this was a support group for moms! What’s good for one baby may not be good for another. Everyone is different. But just cuz you had a problem with putting cereal in a bottle doesn’t make you an expert and it doesn’t give you the right to be mean. This momma is asking for help, and we as mothers should help if we are able to, not say hateful shit. I gave both of my children bottles with cereal in it at about 3 months. They did fine with it. And it did seem to keep their little belly full longer. They didn’t get tummy aches or anything from it. All I can tell you is try it and see how your baby does with it. Don’t make it super thick though. Just start out with a little then gradually add more until you get the thickness you want. Good luck momma!:two_hearts::wink:

1 Like

This is a practice that has been proven false and unsafe. Babies sleep through the night when theyre developmentally ready. Please do thorough research :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s a choking hazard. Very unsafe. It will not keep baby asleep longer at all 🙅🙅

3 Likes

Putting cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard and not recommended.

2 Likes

Worked for me. She was only a couple of months old.

2 Likes

I started at 4 weeks, one teaspoon in each 4 oz bottle. My babies were not getting full, eating their hands after feedings n eating every hour. The cereal helped feedings last every 3 hours. Babies really don’t sleep through the night until about 6 months but they’ll still wake up for feedings; but thankfully they’ll go back to sleep right after.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t if I was you. I have a 16 year old that still has tummy issues related to getting food too soon. Babies need to eat often, remember there belly is only the size of their fist.

3 Likes

All my kids had it per dr.

My son has bad acid reflux and has an allergy to the cows protein that’s in formula. And because of that the doctor says absolutely nothing until 6mo. Don’t listen to anyone. EVERY BABY IS DIFFERENT. CONSULT A DOCTOR.

1 Like

My daughter was taking cereal at 6 weeks yes I said six weeks she was hungry so the dr said to feed her. Just mix it with some formula and feed the child

1 Like

2 month old arent meant to sleep all night as a biological mechanism that prevents SIDS so just remember the lack of sleep is for a good reason. No opinion either way on the cereal.

3 Likes

I used to babysit my nephew when he was 8 months old his mother was in the hospital so I had him overnight to and he would have these times where he would refuse to eat his food and then he wake up more throughout the night for a bottle so we had his rice that we’d add a little bit to the bottle where it’s not too thick maybe a little less thick than the consistency of applesauce and he slept through the night usually

Talk to dr first… but I did small amount and it worked

But you should never put them to bed with the bottle because that is definitely a choking hazard

Did not work for me, rice spikes sugar and is a temporary fill

2 Likes

But this was, in fact, 20 years ago. Today is different. People are different. Items purchased are different. All up to you, the parent, and what works or doesnt for you. Not everyone else and their opinions. If you’re really unsure, ask your doctor, honey.

1 Like

Worked for all five of mine…I swear buy it.

1 Like

I heard it can cause lots of problems

Cereal is not to be put in a bottle.

2 Likes

Raised 3 boys started feeding them cereal at 2 weeks yes I spoon fed them .None were over weight and they started sleeping all night. They are 49, 47, if the little one had not died of bone cancer he would be 46. Didn’t hurt them. Only fed at bed time along with a bottle…

My twins who are 20 months old didnt pass away from sids and the NICU team at our hospital, their peds, etc had them on 1 teaspoon of oatmeal and Zantac and on neosure. Sometimes that oatmeal and rice cereal is used for medical reasons. My twins couldnt keep a thing down if it wasnt for oatmeal and neosure they would had been in the nicu longer with bradycardia’s and losing weight. We also had weekly weight gains when they came home, weekly visits to a facial cranial doctor, a plastic surgeon, physical therapy, now they are in with early intervention. Sometimes it isn’t avoidable. So dont put moms down who has used it, cause sometimes it isnt voidable when you have kids who require it.

1 Like

Yeah soooo it worked with my son.

My daughter who is 3 months old… She isnt gaining weight and HER DOCTOR TOLD US TO DO 5OZ water with 3 scoops formula and 3 tablespoons cereal. Thats HER “6oz” bottle… And guess what… She still wakes up in the middle.of the night once or twice for food. She haant gained but a lbs since birth and we cant figure out why… Her metabolism must be off the chart cuz she eats a ton of calories !

1 Like

I was lucky my son started sleeping thru the night aat 3 weeks.

Both my boys were about 2 months when dr gave me the okay. It helped my oldest sleep through the night. My second is just a tubby boy and loves to eat so he still wakes up sometimes and he’s 5 months old.

Never ever did that…started baby food around 5 months…

I had to with my son because his acid reflux was so bad. I little rice or oatmeal and it worked wonders.

1 Like

No! It does not work it just makes them fat and their vomit is more dangerous for them to choke on

1 Like

I did it. Started at 3 months

1 Like

My son never slept thru the night but because he was allergic to Zantac his dr said to do this. Didn’t make him sleep longer at all just kept him from throwing up.

Do not put cereal in the babies bottle!!

2 Likes

Never. They had found that cereal in babies contributes to SIDS.

2 Likes

It literally tricks their bodies into thinking they don’t need to eat because its harder for their body to process :frowning:

2 Likes

I stared putting cereal in my daughters bottle at 2 weeks just a little! And made sure I did it slow and made sure I burped her real good and gave her a bath every night she slept all night at 2 weeks

3 Likes

My son is 10 months and still doesnt sleep all nite… I deal with it

6 Likes

I know everyone has there own personal opinion on putting rice cereal in bottles but I personally would never do it. I started spoon feeding my daughter rice cereal at almost 5 months.

4 Likes

I stand mine when they were old enough to be spoon fed just like their baby food.

It worked for me, but start with only a little bit and he was about 2 months old. Also, I used baby rice cereal (it’s easier for them to digest).

1 Like

Never worked for any of my 3 boys. I just finally gave up and spoon fed them baby cereal in the evening before their bedtime bottle.

Alright, for starters baby cereal is NOT bad for your baby! It is not “empty calories”, and it is NOT a choking hazard if you use your damn head!
Baby cereal is a great thing if used correctly. You have to make sure it’s properly mixed into the breast milk/formula. You also have to make sure the hole in the nipple is big enough, and you have to feed them SITTING UP. C’mon, people. These are common sense things. As long as you’re only using cereal as a small supplement, you’re baby will get the nutrients it needs. How baby cereal is said to be “empty calories” I don’t understand. Let me just read this label on Gerber: Oatmeal Single Grain Cereal-
60 calories
1g Fat
5mg Sodium
10g total carbs
2g Protein (but they don’t need that, right? It only helps with muscle growth and development🤷🏻‍♀️)
65mg Calcium (what? A nutrient that your bones NEED? No, not in cereal!:scream::scream::scream:)
6.75mg Iron

I could go on, but this comment is already super long, and I think you get the point. It’s not bad for them! You just have to communicate with your pediatrician and go about it the right way. It’s peoples ignorance that started this whole debate. There wouldn’t be a debate if people would use common sense in the first place.

My ped said dont do this what so ever

2 Likes

Some babies wake up at night to eat…because their body processes formula and or breastmilk faster…its how it’s meant to be. Some babies sleep thru the night at early ages…but you really shouldn’t mess with their digestive system.

3 and a half months. But only some times. Then my son’s doctor told me I could feed it to him with formula or breast milk mixed in at his 4 month check up

Hope is right their little digestive system is only ready for liquids.

I know the feeling your going through. My son is now 8 months old and sleeps mostly through the night now thankfully and I was really struggling with him being up every 3 hours for the first few months. It really is tough mentally and physically. You do what you think is best your the mom and don’t let anyone else bully you. Just do your research.

You know. For a group who are supposed to help with advice yall seem kind of hateful about it.

9 Likes

Well your not supposed to use it as a sleep aid itll constipate or cause digestive issues if they are not ready. When ready to try actually feed it to the baby but make it watery so they can try it and not choke. If they spit it out after the third small spoon try another time.
Once they are ready for it feeding them at bed time with pablum/cereal and a bottle they will sleep longer.

I did it with 3 of mine at about 6 weeks old. I just but a lil bit.

1 Like

I just put cereal in mine at night like that & it helped so much. I started him on it about 6 weeks old. Just a tiny bit though. But it sure helped a lot. His pediatrician said it was okay. He was a bigger than average baby anyway, born 9 pounds & she said his tummy needed the extra filler.

1 Like

This is not a matter of opinion…this is matter of fact.

1. Anything other than formula or breastmilk in your babys bottle is a choking hazard.

2. Babys are not meant to sleep through the nighgt…this is natures way of protecting them from things like SIDS.

3. There is no nutritional value in infant cereal and it contains additives that are dangerous to a babys health.

4. Babys should have only formula or breastmilk until they are 6 months of age and sitting on their own

When baby is developmentally READY they will sleep through…not before.

12 Likes

I give my little one since 4 MONTHS cereal/oatmeal feeding and a bottle at night. It fills their belly. He sleeps almost all night depending on Teething.

Why not just start spoon feesing it instead?

My daughter had cereal in bottle at 3 weeks. Shes in her 20’s now. Had GERD as a baby. Doctor recommended

Yes and it help them not spit up so much like Cline the bed they sleepin help there little tummy too

Yes it works I have twins and the doctor approved and started when they were two months. My daughter slept through the night and my son only 3-4hrs then gradually more but I was breastfeeding him. Don’t use to much only a little barley is better if you can get too. It keeps them full but can become a problem digesting if you give too much.

Yes it does and I started at 4 months

I had to put rice cereal in my babies formula but please check with your pediatrician first.

My youngest from 1 week on. He had reflux so bad it’s the only thing that helped his not breathing episodes from it. But most of my 5 were having a little cereal in there bottles by 3 months.

Every baby is different and u know best momma! Do some research and follow that gut & don’t listen to anyone else. It changes every decade what is the “right” thing to do. Your mommy instinct will tell you better than any post, website, doctor, etc.

Ask your real doctor, not these google doctors.

My son doctor told me to start at 4 months.

1 Like

I did it with my kids and grandkids.

I used oatmeal…rice upset their tummy

NOOOOOO!!! Babies don’t need cereal at all. It’s just a filler with no nutrition and could keep them from drinking the necessary amount of breast milk or formula (that has all the nutrition). Don’t sacrifice their nutrition for an hour more of sleep. It’s not worth it. My pediatrician said that cereal is the worst invention ever for infants.

1 Like

I never tried to make my babies sleep longer. They’re supposed to wake up and eat. Part of being a parent is getting up with your kids. Not trying to make them sleep longer :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

NOOOOOO!!! Babies don’t need cereal at all. It’s just a filler with no nutrition and could keep them from drinking the necessary amount of breast milk or formula (that has all the nutrition). Don’t sacrifice their nutrition for an hour more of sleep. It’s not worth it. My pediatrician said that cereal is the worst invention ever for infants.

2 weeks and they slept through the night and never had any problems

3 Likes

Years ago I began putting cereal in my baby’s bottle. Keep it a little thin. They slept better because they were hungry. It was rice cereal. Mixed with formula. You may have to make the hole in the nipple a little bigger.

1 Like

Adding cereal to a bottle killed my nieces little cousin… please don’t Do this!

1 Like

Worked for me but I didnt put much in mine son bottle to where he didn’t gain to much weight

Both sets of twins slept through the night from 8 weeks…but I do hear lots of mom’s doing that…if it’s done at the right age and us safe…y not

1 Like

People who say dont feed babies cereal are not doctors. My uncle was born at 13 lbs. They fed him cereal at 2 days old. Ask your doctor. Not these people who read Google. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Massive choking hazard. Babies don’t need cereal they need breast milk or formula until 6 months of age.

1 Like

My baby needed this at a very young age due to bad acid reflex. He began at only 2 months. With that being said, the entire time he was in it he still did not sleep through the night. I would never ever use cereal to get a little more sleep ever and if I did it wouldn’t have even worked for my little one. When you have a.child.it isnt about you anymore. You have to put your selfish needs aside for the needs of your baby. Its hard Mama but it goes quick!! My little one is 13 months now :sob::sob::sob:

3 Likes

It’s a big big no no to do that. If baby is still on only bottles it was affect thee digestive system. It can also make them sick at nite as the food just sits in ther tummy.
Most Definitely something I would never recommend.

2 Likes

It is not recommended anymore because it is not safe. Don’t do it.

2 Likes

Pediatricians will tell you hell no don’t do it!

2 Likes

yeeeeees 2 wks all my kids and grands.

2 Likes

Noooo. Really not good for them.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t do that it’s better to spoon feed your baby and if you think that food helps the baby sleep make a Lil in a bowl and feed them. No disrespect but when you feed them everything in a bottle it looks lazy. Please don’t be offended it’s not my intention, ok :rose::sparkling_heart::rose::sparkling_heart::rose:

1 Like

As soon as straight formula wasn’t satifying him and he was eating every 2 hours. When i put cereal in it went too 4 hours between feedings

My monster-in-law tried to get us to do this for my daughter, even though I was EBF. Our pediatrician was horrified when we told her she said it’s extremely dangerous to do

3 Likes

He worked for my daughter I started that about 4 months old and two teaspoons for an 8 oz bottle and she slept the entire night

1 Like

It is so frowned upon now but my kids are in their 30’ s and It worked way back then

2 Likes

Ask your dr. My daughter was put on rice cereal at 3 weeks old to help with her acid reflux. It not only helped with that, but it also helped with her colic. Always ask your doctor when it concerns what to give or not give your child. EVERY child has different levels of tolerance for different things. What was deemed safe for my child to eat at an early age, may not be for yours. My son was on baby food at 4 months, table food at 6 months and completely off of formula and on whole milk by 8 months. ALL recommended by his pediatrician.

No bashing no nasty comments, but to the people saying don’t do this, is this because you know of a reason personally or because you read it on google or because your new age doctor told you not to??? I’m asking because she’s asking if anyone has done this, she’s looking for pros and cons. I did with both of mine and it worked great!! I didn’t put a lot in but enough to thicken the formula alittle bit, made the hole alittle bigger and no issues, no over weight kids and no digestive issues!!!

5 Likes

These comments are staged af :joy::joy::joy:

Don’t put it in the bottle. They can choke!

If you want a “thicker” bottle for your baby, try a formula with “ar” written on it. It contains added rice. Never add to a bottle though. They will sleep through when they’re ready!! If the baby is old enough to eat then try a small meal then a bottle before bed

Nope. My 2nd is 19months & we never have

Don’t do it. Their stomachs weren’t built for that. It isnt safe or healthy. Its empty filler.

3 Likes

It’s frowned upon but my oldest started by 4 or 5 months and our doctor said it’s fine. For my second as well Becca he had acid reflux so badly.

Don’t use cereal ever. Through bottle or spoon

Doctor put my granddaughter on cereal at two months because of reflux

1 Like

My 2 boys are healthy and I did it. They are 9 and 10 now.