Can my 6-year-old sit in the front with me?

So we are moving. We have three kids aged 6, 2 and 8 months. The problem is that we have a small car, well where we are moving our oldest is allowed to sit without a booster based off of her age height and weight but only in the backseat. However, we will be in the car for a long time to get to where we are moving. So my question is, is my 6 year old allowed to sit in the front passenger seat next to me WITH her booster seat since we will be in the car for an extended period of time?

56 Likes

If there is an airbag no child under the height and weight should sit in the front. It is the air bags that make it really bad. If it goes off it can snap their necks when too short. That goes for both kids. ;). And the seatbelts can hurt their orgAns. My generation grew up with none of this tho. And we survived. Gotta do what you gotta do. My oldest is 34. I think in his day they got to sit up front sooner because we didn’t have an air bag. Just turn it off.

5 Likes

No would be the best answer , that air bag goes off so will her head. But sometimes you have to choice and you gotta do what you gotta do.

I’m not gonna judge you regardless but please know it’s unsafe for her to be up front if something were to happen she would almost positively be injured. If there’s 3 seat belts I would put her in the back with the other 2…

2 Likes

Keep her in the back. She will be fine. Make stops

My almost 10 year old that is like a foot shorter than me couldn’t even sit in a booster seat till he was at least 8…

My 11yr olds just took the backs off their booster seats lol BUT I understand having to do what you have to do. Just do it as legally as possible

Depends on state laws, you could always call highway patrol or a state law enforcement number and ask them. I’m my state the passenger airbag has to be turned off and they have to be in a proper car seat.

1 Like

I would post this is carseats for Littles, if you are worried about both safety and laws. These mammas are uncut and it’s just going to keep going back and forth. Carseats for Littles is more structured and will do their best to help you find the safest, legal option :revolving_hearts:

8 Likes

Do what you gotta do and don’t ask Facebook lol

1 Like

Do what you gotta do🤷‍♀️

1 Like

I personally wouldn’t out of fear of what could happen if there was an accident, but also my mom moved from Illinois to NC with me when I was 3 and she said I laid down in the front seat and slept the whole way to NC lol times are just different, road conditions are different, and the volume of vehicles on the road are much different now.

Personally mama, if it’s just about comfort for the 6 yo, I would have them in the backseat. Even if they’re uncomfortable for 1 long car ride it could keep them safe for the rest of their life

3 Likes

Your best bet is to check state guidelines.

13 Likes

Call your local police and see how they feel about that.

1 Like

I would say If thats your only option if there is no room in the back but if there is an open seat then she should sit back there.

2 Likes

You better find a way that’s safe & legal .

10 Likes

Car Seats for the Littles is a great resource that can guide you on keeping all passengers safest as possible =)

1 Like

With air bags it’s not recommended for children under 12 to sit in the front seat

1 Like

We have a truck single cab so one row of seats. We are allowed to put her in the front because we turn off the air bag. I’m not sure if you can do that or not with your car. We only use the single cab truck if our other one is down though

2 Likes

What does length of time have to do with anything? Other than putting her at risk for a longer period of time… Leave her in the back, where she’s somewhat, safer.

20 Likes

It’s no different than a child riding in the passenger seat of a 2-seat car or pickup truck, is it?

1 Like

If there’s no other option and the airbag is turned off with the seat back as far as it can go then do it. I’d personally be extremely anxious though and VERY observant of other drivers. If you can make all 3 kids fit in the back that would be best though…

1 Like

If you get pulled over you’ll be getting a hefty fine and that’s so not safe if you’re in a car accident that’s a huge risk. Either way booster seat or not it’s against the law.

2 Likes

United States says boosters til 8

3 Likes

If you have an airbag on the passenger side, the answer is No!( the airbag comes out at a force and height that would snap her neck) no airbag I would not worry.

Kids are allowed to sit in the front seat of trucks so…

1 Like

I was telling my sister when she was cramming three cars seats in a compact car because the seat belts couldn’t hold the carseats properly/safely it was legal for the oldest to be in the front seat because there was no safe seating in the back. Legally if the front seat is the only seat available the oldest may be secured in the front seat. You will get in more trouble for the three in the back being improperly installed then letting them ride safely in the front. Put the seat base back as far as possible creating as much distance from the dash.

It is really kind of a gray zone.

But safety wise, Do make sure you have his seat as far back as you safely can from the airbag. Make sure the seabelt still comes in contact with their shoulder. My front seat for example will slide so far back that the belt will hover like of half a foot in front of you, which isn’t safe.

1 Like

As long as you can turn airbags off I don’t see an issue for a one off… my soon to be 4 year old had to sit in the front with me for a short period of time as he kept climbing out his carseat and it started to become dangerous my last straw was having to pull onto the hard shoulder on the motorway when he decided to unbuckle himself!

2 Likes

I suggest hoping over to the CPST page or contacting your local CPST.

1 Like

NO.

It’s a size/weight law for a reason:
The airbag can deploy and kill them.

Don’t chance it. Call a friend or rent a van for moving so everyone’s strapped in in the back seats.

2 Likes

It will be ok as long as you turn the airbag off and just take back roads and make sure you have him in a booster seat just don’t let him be there multiple times. Good luck on moving!!!

3 Likes

NO airbags are bad. In Missouri it is age 8 or 80lbs before a child can sit without a booster seat

I truly wouldn’t risk it. Even though you may be confident that you are a good driver, you have to worry about others. It’s not worth the chance. We recently had a wreck with a 7 year old who was sitting in the front seat and she sadly didn’t make it due to the impact.

17 Likes

No, if you are in an accident, God forbid the airbag could deploy on her. She needs to sit in the back.

13 and over for the front seat, it should say it on your front seat visor, mine does.

Check the states you’re driving through laws , it varys from state to state.

No.
And just because it’s legal for them to sit without a booster in the back doesn’t make it safe at all. I hope your two year old and eight month are still rear facing as well.

6 Likes

As long as you can turn off the airbag. Drive safe.

7 Likes

Well all I can say is every state is different, but almost all require a certain height and weight for the front seat when it comes to children. Would i with mine absolutely not ppl drive like jerks, but at the end of the day she/he is YOUR CHILD and only you can decide with the brains you were given on what is the best and safest way to transport. But i will add, most states do not allow a child under the age of 12 to be in the front seat no matter what they are sitting in, so I would check with your states quidelines. Safe travels to you and yours.

I’m from the generation where we sat in the back of a pick up truck where ever we went . No seatbelts . Sitting in the back of station wagon window . As long as he /she is in a seat buckled up far back from air bag . He /she will be ok .

4 Likes

I honestly wouldn’t let my 6 year old sit in the front. It’s dangerous and our state wouldn’t allow that.

No, Id like to keep my child ALIVE

Yes hun just be safe. Turn off airbag and it’ll be OK :heart: best of luck on your move!

5 Likes

No! Airbags can cause fatal injuries in small children. Don’t chance it! Under 12 should sit in the back

Faith Kennedy it’s a question she should n know the answer to.you can change safety rules just because you want to.

1 Like

You do what you think is best for you and your kids during the trip. Personally, I’d like the oldest in the back to help with the little two. But also understand not being able to be comfortable on the long trip. Being uncomfortable that long is a lot to ask of a small child. Car seat guidelines are guidelines. My son would have panic attacks and turn purple because he couldn’t breathe when he was rear facing and alone in the backseat. Because of this and his dad being on deployment so long so he had to be alone in the back, his doctor told me to turn him forward facing as soon as he hit the weight limit for it even though he was only 8 months old. Honestly, best thing I ever did. He could see me and he no longer had panic attacks and stopped breathing. My mom was told to put my brothers rear facing car seat up front with her if she was alone with him because he would randomly stop breathing. That was 25 years ago though. Ultimately, if you think your child should be in the front with you, explain it’s only this time because it’s so long and you don’t want them smashed between car seats. As long as they understand that, it’s okay. Just remember to focus on the trip and not so much the anxiety of your little one in the front seat so you don’t make a mistake and get someone hurt. You got this momma! I hope the car ride there isn’t too bad for you and they all pretty much just sleep.

2 Likes

Nothing will be worse than when I saw a preschool aged child in the front seat of her Dad’s 2 seat truck FACING FORWARD :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Here in Ohio it’s legal as long as u turn off the passenger air bag

6 Likes

My 7yr old grandson still in a booster seat only because he’s tall & lanky still is in the back…for safety reasons he should b in the back

Depends on if you want to keep the 6 yo or risk their life

63 Likes

They don’t recommend front seat sitting even if they meet the requirements because their bones don’t stop developing until 14 years of age. Directly from an officers mouth :woman_shrugging:t2: 6 is NOT worth the risk period

2 Likes

Come on now, u know the answer to that

47 Likes

My 6 year old still sits in a 5 point harness but our state requires it up to a certain height & weight & he’s way below for both he’s tiny… I would check your state requirements because everywhere is different, definitely do what is safest & more comfortable for you & your family, but do it the legal way, kids belong in the backseat at least till 12, where I live that is…

2 Likes

Do you people realize that some trucks don’t HAVE back seats? You do what you have to in the situation you’re in. If the child CAN go in the back seat, that’s where they should be. If you ABSOLUTELY cannot fit them, then do what you must. Either way, I wouldn’t be putting a 6 year old in the car without a booster of any sort unless they are a particularly large 6 year old that meets the standards.

2 Likes

Honestly, isn’t it against the law anywhere for a child under a certain ago to ride in the front seat??
I’m pretty sure it is… Me being me I wouldn’t risk getting pulled over for that. You might get in some serious trouble…

3 Likes

If you can turn your airbags off on that side I don’t see the issue, but I’m from the Era where we used to ridenin the back of trucks.

2 Likes

Ma’am it is not safe for your six year old to be sitting anywhere in the car without a booster.

2 Likes

Absolutely not. Time has nothing to do with it. Too bad. It’s a long car ride. Plan different ways to keep them entertained.
FYI I had an airbag BREAK MY WRIST in an accident. Think about what that would do to your kids face.

4 Likes

I won’t even let my 10 yr old sit up front

5 Likes

Check the laws in your state, but I highly doubt it’s legal.

2 Likes

With the airbag turned off, seat back as far as it can, YES. Is it the safest option? No. But it isn’t illegal and better than strapping her to the roof :blush:

56 Likes

Yes, what do you think people with a two seater or a pick up without an extended cab do?

1 Like

The airbag is very dangerous for young kids. The airbag alone could cause severe damage or death to a child. I don’t recommend it at 6. Safety should be priority.

3 Likes

You are LEGALLY allowed if the child is in the proper seat. Just make sure the airbag is turned off. No it is not the safest, but people so it every single day with single cab pickups, etc.

1 Like

That’s a big no for me.

I was around 9 when sitting up front. When someone hit my moms van.

Air bags came out so fast. They burnt my entire face. Also my neck was hurt. I had to go to the hospital by ambulance.

1 Like

I wouldn’t even put my dog in the front seat let a lone a child. AIRBAGS are so dangerous that they can possibly come out in the event of any accident and can kill so BE SAFE & NOT SORRY ALWAYS PUT THEM IN THE BACKSEAT.:heart:

4 Likes

Where I love they can legally only sit in the front with booster seat if that is the only available option. Like in a 2 seat ute.

Yes they can sit in the front with the booster seat. The age on the visor is just a recommendation it is not illegal.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t do it. The reason why kids that age can’t sit up front is because the air bags could seriously hurt them and/or kill them. They don’t have the strong bones adults have. Is there a way you could make multiple trips or someone could follow you with them?

4 Likes

:exploding_head: The fact they would risk it… my 6.5 year old is still in her 5 point harness car seat!! She just turned forward facing a year ago!! She’ll be in that 5 point harness until she’s either too tall or too heavy for it, and then a backed booster and then backless booster!!

21 Likes

Typically if there’s no other seat available the law allows for the child can sit in front. Some of these folks are brutal in this feed. The mom shame runs deep. For years kids sat in the front seat, didn’t have even car seats. Just don’t drive to fast and stay out everyone’s way. You all will be fine.

I wouldn’t unless absolutely necessary. For a shorter drive, maybe. Definitely turn the airbags off and go very slowly but if you get pulled over or there are road blocks of any kind you will be in big trouble for child endangerment.

5 Likes

Mamy car seats For babys can be used on front Seat If you switch off the airbag, you can have a baby on front Seat and two other children In the back, baby is safest In the back Seat facing backwards, but If the right Seat Its still safe In the front but not as safe :woman_shrugging:t3: but i think Its safer than an 8year old on the front Seat.

3 Likes

Are you saying there’s no room in back? If so then you do what you gotta do. Take all the safety precautions that you can.

1 Like

It’s safer to put 8 month old in front seat w/ seat installed

3 Likes

Just because it’s legal, doesn’t make it safe. I personally take every safety precaution when it comes to kids in cars.

22 Likes

No wtf. Children aren’t allowed in the front seat till 12.
My oldest was in her 5 point for afew months after she turned 7. She just turned 8 and will be in her high back booster till it’s maxed just like the harness seat was. My 3 others are 5 points that are rear facing and will be maxing those too. We didn’t make exceptions for any of them any of the times we moved. A long drive isn’t worth it. And honestly a long drive should more reason to make sure they are in the correct seat and buckled properly.

2 Likes

Turn the air bag off and use a car seat or booster seat. Should be fine I see people in trucks do it as long as the air bag is not on its fine

1 Like

I still have my just turned 11 year old sit in the backseat without a booster. He’s 2 inches shy of being.5 foot tho. I just feel he’s safer in the backseat for now

It’s not safe but I do put my 7 year old up front for short drives though. She love sitting there. I never done for long drives. I did pass police couple times and never stopped

Tracy Hunter I’m from the generation sitting in the back of a pickup. :sweat_smile: riding in back with the groceries. One time riding in the back with my new calf. Of course my kids and grandkids all used car seats and boosters. Though a time or 2 sitting in front with the seat all the way back in his booster seat.

Every state has different laws…

WTH? no! U will regret it forever if something happens. Don’t risk it

2 Likes

Not a chance in hell. Even more than that I wouldn’t do it in the back seat! My kid is 7 and still in a 5 point harness because I value their life…

1 Like

A girl stop worrying about others opinion if you’re in a tight situation none of them are going to help you get from point A to point B do what you think is right keep your baby safe and keep it pushing

55 Likes

I am so sad over some of these comments :pensive:

If your airbag can be turned off then I don’t see a problem. Move the seat as far back as it can go and do what you gotta do.

1 Like

This is the law for the state of Ohio from the government website. Notice that it says RECOMMENDATION not law for that 12yr thing. So we can end this argument over this. She asked what was legal, not what was safest.

2 Likes

Simply put, is it safer for a child under 13 in the back? Yes. But with the airbag turned off, the 6 yr old is at the same risk anywhere they sit in the car, in the event of am accident. The air bag is really the biggest issue honestly. I’ve had 4 kids and only had a 5 seater car at one point so my oldest was up front when he was 6,7,8 if we had to go somewhere after school when he was home. When he was in school, the 3 youngers were in the back as usual. Shit happens. I’m not here to judge your current struggle just to advise on the facts. And the fact is, in the event of a serious crash, the child is at risk all over the vehicle. If you roll your vehicle, they’re not safe anywhere and neither are you. If you can turn off your passenger air bag, then he/she is much safer than if you can’t. Drive safely.

Idk how this is even a serious question . Absolutely NOT!!! THEY CAN NOT BE IN THE FRONT.

2 Likes

It’s a yes or a no question, she don’t need people being rude for a simple question.

4 Likes

No those airbags can cause irreversible damage. I belelieve on almost all visors and in the book to the vehicle it states children under age 12 need not sit in from due to the airbags

21 Likes

I don’t usually follow the “rules” my kids were all turned around before/close to 1. However i would definitely not let them sit in the front. I think my oldest wast like 11 when she did

10 Likes

Absolutely not- if anything happens god forbid the air bag can severely hurt him or even worse. You can always find a better solution.

If the air bag is off and seat belt is on yes. Use the booster seat too. We’ve done it a few times when transporting multiple kids in car seat. Youngest in middle back. Oldest in car seat in front. With air bag off. The other two kids on either side in back. Even had a police officer trained in car seat installation install the car seats for me.

5 Likes

If you can deactivate the passenger airbag, maybe.

Definitely not… It’s not safe at all. They have to be 13 years old to be able to sit in the front seat of a car.

6 Likes

Especially because its a long time - hell no. The longer in the seat the more chance if an accident.

It might be a pain in the ass, bit your kids safety is worth more than an easy ride.

4 Likes

My momma always said “you gotta be careful of the other FOOL”! You could be the best driver ever however you can’t control anyone else! God forbid you get in an accident you’d never forgive yourself!