Can you dye your hair while pregnant?

can i dye my hair while pregnant? i have been getting mixed answers but i am tired of my roots looking the way they do…what even is the risk of dying hair while pregnant?

22 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Can you dye your hair while pregnant? - Mamas Uncut

Something to do with ur hormones n the color doesn’t turn out the way it’s supposed too

I believe after you are so many months but I’m not sure really

Just make sure the area is well vented and you’re good :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yes just in a well ventilated area 

You absolutely can. Just make sure you’re in a well ventilated area and I would recommend waiting past your first trimester, as your pregnancy hormones can cause the color to take irregularly

Once you hit the 2nd trimester you can dye your hair. That’s what I’ve been told and that’s how I always dye my hair

Yes, just make sure when you do your in a very vented area

Yes…you can buy the ammonia free hair dyes too.

Maybe this will help you make a better decision.

Use something like henna but not chemical dye

Yes you can. I’d recommend no bleach on the scalp and in a very well ventilated area!

It’s perfectly safe to dye your hair while pregnant

1 Like

Checked this out with my first baby and was told a well ventilated area after 12 weeks x

Yes. However, hormones can make the colour slightly different to what it should be.
Also ventilate the room well

Yes you can, but no I don’t.

1 Like

You can it’s not at all harmful. But, you have a lot more hormones so your process time will be different and the color might not turn out as you wish. I got blond highlights and some of the lighter peices turned out grey. Also right after I was pregnant I went again and still lots of extra hormones and all the vitamins, it took 2.5 hours to process my hair plus lots of toner. I’ve been going to the same stylist for 15+ years so it wasn’t the different skill level or product. Just let the stylist know your pregnant and they’ll decide if they want to do your hair and how they’ll go about doing your hair.

Yes, my Dr told me it was perfectly safe to dye my hair while I was pregnant and I would get my hair done regularly… I have a healthy 2 yr old :two_hearts:

The reason they say not to die your hair isn’t so much the risk after 2nd trimester. But. Your hair does not take to dye the way it does when you’re not pregnant. You have different hormones and stuff. I dyed my hair with splat many times at home never had issues. I tried bleaching and dying while I was pregnant and my hair do not do what it usually does. So I went to a salon to have it corrected.

If you do it at home, I’d just sit outside and do it. You need a really well ventilated area

Yes just don’t dye it black.

1 Like

You may not achieve your exact color goal due to hormones, but dying during pregnancy is ok done on a well ventilated are. However, I believe there is recommendation to avoid direct root application

Yes …I asked my dr and he said yes…

Yes it’s perfectly safe,just make sure its being done in a ventilated area.

Yes as long as ur past ur first 12 weeks

I always do after the first 12 weeks !

Yes. Just a well vented area.

They don’t recommend it, but I did it and my babies are fine

Hair stylist here!!! There is no problem dying your hair while pregnant. Just for warning that the hormones in your body can counteract the dye, and it won’t stay in your hair. So just a heads up before you spend alot of money, that it might not work. Not everyone is the same, but it does happen.

1 Like

I think it was the smell.

I was 31 weeks & 5 days pregnant when I got my hair done. About 3am, my water broke. Coincidence or not? Idk, but that was my First. My second, idk if it was the hormones or what, but my hair turned out the best it ever did! She was preterm also but my hair was done before my baby shower so no coincidence there.

1 Like

As a hair stylist, your hormones could react against the colour. Meaning it may not be the colour you wanted or it may not stay on your hair.

1 Like

You can. Just make sure it’s SUPER VENTILATED

1 Like

Yes just maker sure you open a window. I always found my hair took better to the dye than when I wasn’t pregnant

No bleach and make sure you’re in a well ventilated area

2 Likes

I just did 36+4 weeks

There are mixed recommendations. I’m a childbirth education student (which we also cover TTC, pregnancy, pp, besides just childbirth). There are resources that say as long as it is ventilated, you will be okay. Other resources say that the chemicals in hair dye aren’t necessarily good nor bad. There isn’t enough research to determine it is safe or isn’t.

You should consult your OB and do what you feel the most comfortable :heart:

1 Like

As long as you do it in an adequately ventilated area your fine. But something about science and hormones and stuff Im not qualified to explain can make you hair not take the color or make it make weird colors or textures

As long as you’re not in your first trimester you can.

1 Like

I did it with all 4 my kids nothing wrong

I’m a hairdresser and I was taught it has to do with hormones. Sometimes colors or perms won’t take. All I can say is …try it. Maybe it will.
Colors and perms usually don’t take with Thyroid Disease patients.

I did yrs ago. My babies healthy

As long as it’s ventilated. But be prepared that sometimes your pregnancy hormones can alter how your hair takes color. You can always try more of a Demi permanent or a fun color that smells less like crazy chemicals.

Yes, but I would stay away from bleach the first trimester. Do it in well ventilated area and like others have said, watch for mixed reaction due to hormones. Can also make skin more sensitive as well.

It’s not necessarily because it’ll harm the baby it’s more the fact that your hair is very different when you are pregnant and you never know how your hair will turn out if you color it.

1 Like

Good thing you asked all the Facebook Dr’s and not your own Obstetrician! Way to go, mom lmao

3 Likes

Yes you can and it won’t hurt the baby or you!

I did highlights at 32 weeks

I had two healthy pregnancies. Bleached my hair throughout the pregnancies. My doctor just said be in a well ventilated area.

I have dyed my hair with both my pregnancies never had any problems.

The biggest issue with hair dye while pregnant is hormones might make the color turn out funky. As long as it’s done in a well ventilated area then there is no risk to baby.

4 Likes

As long as it’s done in a good ventilated area!

I colored mine right after I had mine and it was the brightest yellow :yellow_circle: I ever saw…
Hormones.

My OB said I can if I wait until the second trimester.

1 Like

You can but your hormone levels could throw off the colour you want, also if you are dying it make sure to be in a well ventilated area

1 Like

Yes. Well ventilated room.

Just make sure it’s in a well ventilated room

1 Like

Hairstylist here :slightly_smiling_face: you definitely can. I usually keep the door open just in case the smell of chemicals might be too much. Also, if you’re lightening your hair,most likely, it’ll be more difficult. The hair is super resistant with all the extra hormones. It might alter the color a bit too. So just be aware.

4 Likes

Yes … I did right up untill week before having my little girl

1 Like

Best not to bleach, but dying is ok in second trimester with great ventilation (especially if you are having a hard time with smell, I literally had to do mine outside because I couldn’t even stomach the smell tbh)

Wait until your second trimester with good ventilation and you’ll be okay. :slightly_smiling_face:
I just dyed mine a couple weeks ago

2 Likes

I have been a hairstylist since May 1970 and h ad 3 children and bleached my hair or colored it every month and was never told by any doctor not to! I got perms too, so go ahead!

Yess did it with all 4 babies

I recommend not doing it yourself definitely see a hairstylist because they will know exactly what to do I’ve had my hair done 3 times since getting pregnant and my baby is still doing amazing hasn’t affected her at all I’m due in July and getting it done one more time before she is born the products that my hairstylist uses on my hair is all vegan and safer than store bought

Yep, during the second trimester.

Yes just make sure it ammonia free or like a vegan hair dye in a wel ventilated area

My daughter is a hair dresser. She says no.

I went to a hair desser got my hair done

Yes you can. Just make sure that the room is well ventilated.

1 Like

Yes, just vent the bathroom well or whatever room you’re in and you’ll be okay!

1 Like

Yes you can.
The problem is that our hair sometimes changes during pregnancy and sometimes the colour doesn’t take or ends up being different than anticipated.

Your hormones may not make the color exactly like it should.

1 Like

Yea, you can shave it, too.

You can yes.
But it is recommended to do it in a well ventilated area.

1 Like

It’s not recommended from a professional perspective but honestly it’s your kid. Do what you want.

Yes, I’ve been to salon multiple times being pregnant and I get my hair bleached and they’ve all said it’s fine.

Yes you can. It just may not take but it will not do anything to the baby.

Your skin is your largest organ, whatever you put on your scalp as well as your skin will be absorbed into your bloodstream. Just be sure to consider the ingredients. Henna is available in a variety of colors.

You can dye your hair it should not affect the baby. It might not come out how it should though. When doing hairdressing in college we were taught the main reason not to dye your hair during pregnancy is an influx of hormones which leave your hair patchy and faded. There’s also that “don’t do it in.the first trimester” because there isn’t enough evidence wether it’s linked to miscarriage tale, but that’s highly likely to be coincidecial, it doesn’t cause one on the second or 3rd and probably doesn’t in the first, but 1 in so many people who have had miscarriages in.the 1st trimester dyed their hair so they can’t rule it out. But in this day and age most women do dye their hair :woman_shrugging:t2:

Yes you can. I have in both of my pregnancies. I think the fear comes from the chemicals being absorbed into the blood stream

Yes… I just got mine done in the beginning of April and I was 37 weeks

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Can you dye your hair while pregnant?

Yes, in a well ventilated area. But be aware that because of the pregnancy some colors might not take as well as you want them to, if at all

3 Likes

Yea just make sure the room is well ventilated.

Yes. Just tell your stylist and discuss measures. Some ppl choose not to bleach their hair when pregnant.

Maybe ask your doctor? I have heard different OBs say yes and some say no.

As long as you’re in a well ventilated area yes. I colored my hair through both of my pregnancies. Only thing is my scalp became very sensitive to the developer. So just be careful when using it!

My high risk ob said yes. Just don’t get bleach on your scalp

Yes. Go to a stylist instead of diy-ing it.

It’s so toxic I definitely would not that’s why people advice against it. Anything you put on your skin your liver processes

3 Likes

My hair refused to hold color and was patchy my entire pregnancy :sweat_smile: was just fine after though.

Yeah you just have to be in a well ventilated room don’t do it in a tiny bathroom with the door shut basically

2 Likes

I did but the color didn’t last

I would call and ask you doctor.

Personally I wouldn’t and didn’t because I was paranoid. My hair looked like shit my whole pregnancy lmao
If you do, do it in a well ventilated room, try to avoid bleaching anything. Try not to get it on your scalp, go to a stylist if you can. It’s hard to not get your scalp doing it yourself. My main reason was I didn’t want to breathe all that in while pregnant.

Yes. If your hair will accept the color go for it!

Get the ammonia free dye if you are worried about fumes also

Yes. Just make sure youre in a well ventilated area. And keep in mind, the color may not be exactly as you expect it to be, due to the hormones in your body!

I dyed my hair every few weeks when I was pregnant…I was actually a guinea pig for my mum’s hairdresser studio like ten years ago no problems at all . Just advise the hairdresser that your pregnant and they should have an alternative dye for pregnant ladies