Can you vape while breastfeeding?

Can you vape while breastfeeding? Obviously not near baby or while you are in the house or around baby. But what about if you go outside?

75 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Can you vape while breastfeeding? - Mamas Uncut

Vape has chemicals and nicotine. That could harm the baby while breastfeeding

12 Likes

It’s basically the same as smoking. So I imagine you’d treat it the same.

9 Likes

You might as well smoke a cigarette while breastfeeding its safer.

9 Likes

Yes you can they don’t recommend vaping whilst pregnant because not enough research has gone into it but they say it definitely better then smoking this coming from a doctor’s and midwives so I can’t imagine why it would be any different for breastfeeding :thinking: speak to your health care professional see what they say?
I’m guessing is people will judge whatever you do but if the research was there saying its better everyone would be shouting from the roof tops you should vape blah blah blah :rofl: do what you feel is best my opinion vape is better then smoking it hasn’t got the harmful chemicals that cling to your skin like cigarettes have :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Yes you totally can and your baby will be just fine

12 Likes

You definitely can. Try to plan vaping right after your baby nurses. Its proven that nicotines half-life is 2hrs in breastmilk. It peaks at 30 minutes.

Stop being so judgy. You will be fine, try nicotine free juice if you are worried :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Its totally safer than what people are making out… obviously not around baby etc

4 Likes

Yeah if you get juice with no nicotine I guess. Do you smoke cigarettes? If so, I guess it’s no different

If you did it while pregnant, why worry now. I had a pulminolgist tell me that he’d rather me smoke cigarettes then vape, they know what cigarettes do to you. I suggest giving it up, I learned, after my stroke, that smoking a vape can cause strokes.

10 Likes

Just my opinion baby doesn’t ask to vape.

Yes I regret smoking with my last babies that were stillborn :broken_heart:

10 Likes

U can but I wouldn’t if I was u its full of nasty chemicals

3 Likes

Vaping is actually more harmful than you think. I wouldn’t do it.

4 Likes

Nicotine gum or a patch might be safer

1 Like

Taking the advice from fb strangers?? Maybe a better question for your Dr

7 Likes

My daughters husband was told by the doctor that the oils latch onto the fabric in the clothing, couch etc. I wouldn’t want my baby breathing that.

4 Likes

I’m not here to judge on vaping, but just to say it probably isn’t the safest option while breastfeeding. I would consult with your pediatrician though.

4 Likes

The oils from vapes latch onto hair, and clothing, nicotine does transfer in breast milk. And there are notable risk factors related to nicotine in found in infants. If you’re not currently vaping I would wait until you’re finished breast feeding.

6 Likes

Talk to your doctor to make the right choice for you. I vaped with my kids who are really healthy kids. I would vape directly after breastfeeding and be sure to wash your hands, change your clothes, and rinse your mouth good. Just treat it how you would a cigarette as its still nicotine

2 Likes

You already know it’s not good for yourself, why take a risk and harm your baby? It’s selfish.

10 Likes

My bf did it. My whole pregnancy. Even smoked marijuana. I did too. My baby came out just fine. And smarter then any. It’s your choice. Don’t let the negative fingers get to you. Even ask your Dr. I told mine I smoked for my anxiety. But I didn’t vape nicotine. I Vaped wax.

15 Likes

I was told to wait 2 hours after you smoke to breastfeed or to pump. Not sure on the vaping. I don’t see as vaping as bad. I vape and I don’t get sick like I did on cigarette and my lungs are alot healthier been told that by a doctor however I don’t vape alot of the crap out there. I make my own juice. I vape at a 2 nic or 3. You should talk to your doctor .

2 Likes

Anything you place into your body will get transferred to the baby

4 Likes

U should treat vaping the same a smoking cigs specially around a baby yes go outside wear a smoking jacket wash ir hands and face if possible…vaping is no better then smoking cigs and no worse then smoking cigs…there is very tangible research on vaping and the immediate effects on the body and such…the lack of oxygen given to the baby while prego and smoking/vaping is a huge giant problem this is what causes low birth weight and preterm labor

3 Likes

I vaped with my son my entire pregnancy he came out almost 9 lbs and 23 inches long

5 Likes

Yes but make sure you e a smoking jacket or a sweater and remove it when don’t and put it on when doing it.

You can absolutely vape while breastfeeding. Just like you can smoke while breastfeeding, drink while breast feeding or do meth while breastfeeding, if you so choose…

Just remember… everything that you do while breastfeeding, your baby does while breastfeeding!

18 Likes

Nope, everything you consume ends up in your breast milk

1 Like

Sure… but make sure you offer some to the baby. Sound ridiculous? Same difference

10 Likes

Better to do it after feeding than before because nicotine can stay in your milk up to 2 hours after vaping /smoking.
On saying that…they dont yet know the long term effects of vaping on you or your baby…research is still on going .

Just because it’s “safer” :roll_eyes: than smoking …
DOES NOT MEAN ITs SAFE… smh :woman_facepalming:t2:
They both have chemicals that you’re putting into your body that is going to your baby. The ones without nicotine still have chemicals that is not good for your baby.

I don’t know what state you live in but I know in the state of California it is illegal to smoke a cigarette or a Vape in the car with anybody under the age of 18.

Nicotine is a no for me.
Grass is a different conversation

2 Likes

Well… it’s a tightrope. You have to keep yourself sane. If you have a dependency on it to where you show signs of withdrawals just like a smoker, then you shouldn’t stop cold turkey. Weening off works better for most people. So if you do vape, wash your hands and face, and change tops or wear a smoking jacket and remove it when you’re done. If you did it while pregnant, the baby is already used to it. Still not good for the baby, but you have to make your own decision.

2 Likes

My husband ended up in the ER last week due to heart issues from vaping… so yea, there’s that…

3 Likes

If you stopped while pregnant I’d continue without. Unnecessary chemicals for baby and yourself.

6 Likes

If you can’t sacrifice and not vape , I can’t imagine what else you won’t do for your child! Is this question even real?

16 Likes

You are putting nicotine into your body just like cigarettes so it’s gonna be passed through breastmilk to your baby.

5 Likes

It is not safer then cigarettes it causes a deadly disease called Evailly ( I think thats how they spell it) and if you have never seen someone suffer from it let me tell you it is awful

2 Likes

Everything you take into your body can be transferred to your baby through your breast milk

3 Likes

These comments are fkg DISGUSTING. Maybe offer some tips or advice on how to change instead of what i interpret as making her feel like shit for asking a GOOD question.

Things might not be obvious to others. Other people have harder lives and go through different things than you and need other coping mechanisms.

Some of yall saying she cant smoke or vape AT ALL… Do yall not schedule when to drink your fkg wine??? Just some of these comments :pensive::rage:

This came up in my WIC class and they said it’s still healthier to smoke/vape than to give formula.

9 Likes

Seriously? If you cant make that small sacrifice for your child, i cant imagine what else you considered better than your childs health

11 Likes

Not judging at all just a respectful motherly advice. You have a baby now :heart: Look for ways to quit your habit instead of if is possible to do it while with your baby or breastfeeding. You can do this!

4 Likes

my friend did & her dr told her to stop vaping 2 hours before next feed. youre still risking it however. personally i chose not to bc of how paranoid i was about it & think if you choose not to its the best interest. also i think the moms in the comment completely shaming is unnecessary it was a question she never said she was gonna do it.

4 Likes

Ew these comments are not it. So many mom shamers in this group. I would ask a doctor, not these “perfect mamas.”

38 Likes

At the risk of driving yourself insane, it’s probably best to try to quit the vape. I had to quit cigarettes years ago during my pregnancies and then eventually went back to a vape some time later…stupid I know but the best thing you can do is stay away from the nicotine. There’s a lot of studies that show how damaging it is to a developing baby. Don’t beat yourself up over it just do your best. You can do this Mama!

3 Likes

If you are worried about it and it’s more of a habit like if you just get done eating or something you can get nicotine free vape juice.

Stop breastfeeding if vaping is more important

9 Likes

You shouldn’t but it’s no different than when people smoke cigarettes while pregnant/breastfeeding.

The more I see this mom shaming crap the more I’m about to leave this group. The girl was asking before hand not saying she will and instead of giving nice advice you completely shamed her not like any of you first time moms have been clueless parenting doesn’t have a handbook it’s ok to ask and people should feel comfortable to ask without stuff like this. This group is just as toxic as society for new moms more times then not and I’m getting tired of seeing it I’m out.

34 Likes

The dumbest thing I read all day

9 Likes

Look at how many people used to smoek when pregnant and even in the hospital after having said child. Its ur decsion idk y u people feel the need to ask these kids questions. Ask ur dr.

2 Likes

Talk to your doc. If you smoked or vaped the entire time you were pregnant, your doctor may have some guidance or advice for you versus if you didn’t smoke or vape while you were pregnant. If it’s more of a security blanket for you instead of the actual need for nicotine, get some juice without a nic level 0. It’s hard, but you got this!

2 Likes

you’re going to do what you’re going to regardless of what anyone tells you, including doctors.

4 Likes

It’s better to vape and nurse than it would be to quit nursing and keep vaping. So there’s that. :woman_shrugging:t2:

10 Likes

Ok our health department and breast feeding nurse recommended breastfeeding if you smoke, but not if you do drugs.

1 Like

As teen I had my first two children and I smoked during pregnancy I didn’t quit smoking until I had them and then I breastfed them for a couple weeks then started to smoke again I know that I made a huge mistake when they were 3/4 and both diagnosed with asthma and I never smoked around them except when I was pregnant with them but anyways I definitely wouldn’t vape while breastfeeding because all of the chemicals but I understand the need to want to if you can hold off I would but I definitely talk to the doc and see what they say I’m not shaming either way because I understand how hard it is … do they offer a non nicotine options for vape maybe that’s something to look into…. I wish you the best

1 Like

My doctor said it was perfectly fine as long as it was 3 mg and you do it right after you breast-feed. I did it with my daughter and she is perfectly fine. He said vaping while breast-feeding is still way healthier than not breast-feeding and giving your baby formula. Please don’t listen to all these mom Shamers. I don’t know what happened to this group but I’m about to leave it.

13 Likes

Yup ruin the baby’s lungs go for it fs dumbest question ever

9 Likes

Good to know there are so many “perfect moms” in this group. Some of your comments are awful. Being a mom is hard. Being a new mom is even more difficult. There’s no reason at all for some of you to be bashing her the way you are. If you don’t have any actual advice to share, you can just keep scrolling. It’s not necessary to run your mouth to someone who is simply asking a question.

28 Likes

Nicotine passes through the breast milk

1 Like

Wait 90 minutes before breastfeeding again. Try to go out right after a feeding/pumping, so you have time before your next session

1 Like

It will get in your milk

1 Like

I did. I was coming off cigarettes. I’d nurse my child, pump for next bottle and then pump to use the other milk for milk baths etc. Also… what is up with so many hateful judgy comments? Good to know that some mom’s have achieved perfection? Hm. Hoping you guys carry that same energy when you guys manage to raise kids into jerk adults :woman_shrugging::woman_facepalming:

30 Likes

Blazin’ Beauties: Mom Edition :leaves::dash:
Has great info about topics like this

2 Likes

Ive smoked ciggaretes since i was a teenager.its a horrible nasty habit that i havent been able to kick so absolutely no judgement.i have four healthy almost grown children that were all breastfed.your baby will get all the harmful chemicals you are inhaling that has came from 4 different pediatricians and 2 midwives.

2 Likes

Do it. That baby is gonna be so cool :sunglasses:

3 Likes

In all seriousness, there are tons of things that are bad for us, and babies. Yet people still do it, if you’re not doing it around the baby. Then do it, don’t listen to these judgmental nickel smelling a**holes.

18 Likes

Most companies are not allowed to cell vale juice with nicotine in them anymore, so I would say if yours doesn’t contain it then baby would be ok. But on the safe side if you must I would do it after you have feed the little one so that the baby isn’t taking it in. But a smarter and safer thing would be to talk to the babies doctor 1st before anything.

2 Likes

Momma if this will keep you from smoking cigarettes then GO FOR IT!!! Cigarettes make you smelly and are loaded with hundreds of chemicals vape juice has like 4 chemicals. Vaping is so much safer then cigarettes. Of course try n it to do either but if you must do one plz vape.

10 Likes

I’d say doing it AFTER you feed your baby would be the safest way. That way the nicotine won’t go to your baby. Just space nicotine & breastfeeding apart. It’s good to ask questions when you’re unsure. Don’t listen to all of the unkind & unhelpful people.

5 Likes

Been smoking since I was 12. Been blessed with excellent health; but don’t start smoking this expensive habit.

2 Likes

If it has nicotine, I wouldn’t

1 Like

What kind of dumb question is this???

6 Likes

I vaped during my pregnancy and breastfed my daughter. My level was at 10ml of nicotine. It does go through your breast milk but I always vaped when she was sleeping and waited 20 minutes before feeding her. I went outside long enough for a couple of puffs then back inside, washed my face and hands. Both my girls are healthy and meeting every milestone.

4 Likes

Yes you can. I smoked cigarettes while breastfeeding. Breastfeeding has sooo many benefits that outweigh the risks of smoking. Like you said obviously not around the baby

9 Likes

Vaping is just as bad, if not worse, than cigarettes.

9 Likes

Why so many angry and surprised reacts?

Shes breastfeeding, not pregnant. This is a valid question.

Shes asking if shes safe to vape AWAY FROM HER BABY while she’s still nursing. A lot of yall forget that 50 years ago it was common practice to smoke cigarettes inside a home full of children, even with an infant in your arms. Quit being rude when people have questions.

It may limit your supply keep that in mind

How stupid can one person be? So many of these comments are gross :face_vomiting:

4 Likes

Go to zero nic…if you can. Or pump n dump

Yes I did after I fed the baby

If you do decide to vape, vape AFTER you breastfeed. Not before. It’s best if you don’t but just be smart about it.

1 Like

And this is why some mums keep to themselves and not bother asking questions or advice because there pitch perfect judgemental brats like these people on here who’s opinion mean zero

37 Likes

I would ask a doctor personally. I don’t think it’s a good idea in my opinion. But I’d leave this one up to a doctor :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Honestly it’s so much more beneficial to smoke and breastfeed than it is to smoke and formula feed

2 Likes

Why would you even want to vape? Inhaling vapors into your lungs is as bad as smoking cigs with no filter? Have you ever watched someone die of lung cancer?

Zero nicotine vaping or vape,then pump and dump the milk you pumped right after. Same with drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes. Pump and dump after so baby gets as little of the bad stuff as possible each feeding. Drs will tell you the pump and dump rule if ask.

You’re still putting toxic substances in your body.

Do what feels right! The fact that you care enough to ask shows your good intentions that’s what really counts. No mother is perfect we all have made mistakes. So don’t beat yourself up over it if you do or don’t or want to but can’t pump after taking a hit of a vape and sure as hell don’t let anyone else.

3 Likes

I think you’d be fine if you pump and dump before breastfeeding after vaping. So the breast milk is clean. Though I have never breastfed so I’m just guessing.

Man I am 8 days PP and already tired of people constantly mom shaming. She asked a genuine question looking for a genuine answer not your personal opinions on her life choices.

24 Likes

Never ask these questions on line…your gonna get “the lecture” My doctor actually said when I was pregnant that it was more harmful to the baby from the withdrawal and stress of not having the cigarette than to just smoke it. She said cut back but no need to go cold turkey if I couldn’t. My kids now are 27, 24, and 22 and all in perfect health. Have your vape. If people don’t like it that’s their problem. I’m sure I’ll get 100 naggers comment on my view…so to spare them the time, I’ve heard it all so save it…just my opinion and I am allowed to have one. You just do you honey, you know what’s best for you and your child. Habits are hard to break and not easy for anyone.

17 Likes

Anything you put in your body while breastfeeding will go to the baby. Besides if you have questions you should call your doctor. Not ask Facebook physicians.

4 Likes

Yes doctors will even say it’s better to smoke cigarettes and breast-feed then smoke cigarettes and not breast-feed

3 Likes

No!!!, Inhaled nicotine enters a mother’s blood through her lungs, and then easily passes into breastmilk. Research shows that nicotine in a mother’s breastmilk can affect infant sleep patterns―raising the risk for blood sugar and thyroid problems that can lead children to become overweight.