Could daycare be traumatizing my 3 year old?

she will get used with time

Maybe she is being abused at that day care. Worth looking into.

She’s older now. Most kids will cry for a good two weeks sometimes a little longer. She’ll be fine. Reassure her she’ll be fine & drop & go.

I have 4 kids, the “Good” one is the one who never went to preschool or daycare.

I was the kid that freaked out every day at preschool when i was 3 or 4. Part of the reason is that the teacher’s name was Mrs. Sheetz and it reminded me that we had to take a nap so i didnt want to go there :sob:

Kids go through a phase… just make sure it’s not something else

1 Like

Awe so sorry, she needs a grandma. My heart goes out to those little ones

2 Likes

She’s young she’ll get over it.

1 Like

How long has she been going again

Trade her in for a new kid.
A boy

My daughter was the same. I would take a teddy bear that she loved to work with me. It was her idea. I took about 10 pictures of the teddy bear on my laptop, using the phone, etc. My daughter ate it up. She’s 5 and now randomly gives me a teddy. She explains that she wants the teddy to go to work with me since she can’t. Maybe do the same but at the university.

Another thing was placing a happy picture of us on her classroom wall.

Now, if she doesn’t go to daycare 5 days a week, it will take even longer for her to get used to it.

Good luck.

One of my children cried every day after she came home from preschool. She was a quiet child and kept her emotions in, so I knew something was going on. After several days & calls to the teacher ( who was rude to.me) I dropped in mid morning. Omg…her policy was to " let children fight it out" and she had set up this horrible janky toilet set up with plastic shower curtains around it! We left immediately and found another preschool where she blossomed. Can you drop in? :pray::pray::pray: For you both.

3 Likes

Ask the daycare workers how she is when you are gone. My daughter did the same thing but apparently right after I left, she began playing and having a great time. :weary:. In fact , as time went on, she started to cry when I picked her up! :laughing:

Find a different daycare. When my daughter was little I took her to a daycare. After a while she really refused to want to be there, like your child, my daughter was being abused. As soon as I saw bruises on her, and watched from the fence (without the daycare knowing) I saw the rotten way she was being treated and pulled her from the program. I should have put the bitch who was watching her in jail! TRUST YOUR DAUGHTER!

Maybe a babied kick there ate more then just mom and dad and the kid needs to learn that tough love maybe

Ask the daycare if she stops as soon as you leave. Mine did.

Have staff send you u a post showing you she’s just fine that will make you feel better.shes playing you.

1 Like

she is afraid of something in daycare

Investigate check it out. Something’s going on.

Because we’ve all been forced into living our daily lives in fear. We’ve communicated that fear to our children and they feel it much more profoundly than adults.

Don’t dismiss this…something could be going on there…investigate

Leave her.she will be fine

Leave asap. She will get use to it

Make surprise unannounced visits.

1 Like

Does day care have cameras to sho what might be happening.

5 Likes

She may not be ready

1 Like

There’s obviously something going on there that’s making her feel uncomfortable and not wanting to be there it’s so hard to trust ppl with your kids these days ppl might seem nice to your face then not so nice when your presence isn’t near poor baby I would take her out go with your gut feeling honey don’t wait till it’s to late just saying

It could be the daycare. When my little one was 3 she would cry everytime I would drop her off. My husband insisted we try another daycare and the crying stopped. She was excited to go every morning.

3 Likes

That response should stop once your little one realizes you’re going to always come back. It’s an anxiety response (we all got out of the routine last year :joy: so it may take a bit to get used to) but eventually you will soothe her worries just by showing up to take her home at the end of the day :grin:

1 Like

Went threw this with grand daughter when her momma left now she doesn’t cry takes time but will say pay attention to your child if it doesn’t stop may be yr day care. … Not all are as great as they seem

It could be separation anxiety or something might be happening. Ask the staff how long it takes her to calm down. If it’s only 5-15 minutes or until she starts playing and gets her mind off of you dropping her off that’s fine, with time she will get comfortable. Ask her why she doesn’t like it. Maybe some kids are mean or maybe it’s the staff(hope not) it happens more often than you think sadly.

My dog loves it. They have counselors that put them in small groups. They play and swim and have nap time.
And the best part- he sleeps good when he gets home.
All camps are not the same.

I work in administration at a child care center and I have been asked questions about how have children been since returning. I tell them that it does take a min for them to get back to routine but as long as you have a awesome teacher with a positive attitude and have patience, they will be ok. Try doing a half day if possible…i offer this as well. Drop them off in the morning as usual each day and pick them up around noon or 1 pm then if you see things get better, have them stay a little longer and a little longer. This will help get them use to being there and they will know that mommy will be back later.

Don’t immediately blame the daycare :woman_facepalming: kids go through this. My niece is 1 and ever since her dad walked out she freaks out every time my sister walks out of her sight. Even with my mom and me and we’ve never hurt her or anything. It’s probably separation anxiety. Kids go through it and for different reasons. It never hurts to be cautious. Ask to watch a days video at random and make sure if you’re worried but chances are it’s separation anxiety.

Some kids have separation anxiety. I have my own daycare and fir the most part all if the kids have a blast. I send videos and pics every half hour to the parents of their kids happy and playing. But every once in a while you get the screamers :sweat_smile:. I have one right now that git kicked out if daycare because he screams too much. His mom says he’s the same at home. I know eventually he’ll grow out if that even if it takes a few weeks or months. But absolutely try and see if anything is going on at daycare. Maybe ask fir pics if her??

Kids do it to make a mumma feel guilty.
Normally as soon as you are out of sight they stop

She’s fine. Call the daycare after you leave and I bet within five minutes she’s playing with friends and having a great time.

1 Like

Please check on her. Drop in unannounced, often. Always insist on seeing your baby.
I know a big name child care where the mother of my 3 boys worked. In charge of baby’s in diapers. She was caught sleeping and baby’s were not fed or changed, carried, anything!!
Courts gave me 3 boys she also
Abused, neglected, finally abandoned. :raised_hands:

This is completely normal seeing as to how she has to readjust to new people, a new environment and not being around you as much, which can be overwhelming. At drop off, allow her to walk herself into the classroom if you are not already. Also, try talking positively about how exciting daycare will be each morning( on the way there have talks with her about her favorite activities and even friends that you notice she mentions or spends a lot of time with). Another helpful tip is directing her to her favorite daycare activity once you make into the classroom. Once you drop her off, please leave. Don’t linger around and try not to show any concern or worry. It won’t help. Just say “have a good day, I’ll be back as soon as I get off of work. Love you!” And this will reassure her while also not giving her too much opportunity to throw a fit.

1 Like

It’s good to be suspicious, but at the same time, the pandemic and life style changes that happened set back a lot of kids. Makes sense she may have to work through separation anxiety again if she was used to seeing you every day again.

1 Like

I did the same thing when my mom had to start dropping me off at kindergarten. Turns out I have a lot of anxiety issues even as a child and adult now. Maybe she has anxiety issues as well. Separation anxiety is totally a thing!

Do they have nanny cams in place?

3 Likes

Something’s not right, maybe someone’s abusing her there, I would talk to other parents ASAP!

3 Likes

Maybe you could get there early and get her interested in a toy or activity first.

We are all anxious and

fearful. I’m sure some uncertainess has been absorbed by the children over the past year. All involved need to be patient and calming to the children who can not Express their feelings. Everyone is on this roller coaster together and we have to help each other through it. " Normal" life is a work in progress these days.

1 Like

A lot of kids go through this stage, give it time she will be fine.

She will get used to it later. It’s part of training and steps in life

Kids will say things without speaking. Pay attention.

1 Like

Could be normal. I would definitely keep an eye on those cams and keep open communication with her so she knows you are safe to tell anything. If there are any other issues or potential warning signs address it. Don’t hesitate to contact the state board for anything not up to par as well.

I think having a year off and the pandemic with the lockdowns has caused alot of separation anxiety amongst children. It’s been a scary time for us all but the little ones don’t truly understand it all. Just give it time x

Like my daycare says “once they get inside they are fine” he cries everyday he doesn’t want to go and he’s fine by the time I pick him up.

Maybe have the chats with her about it tell her Momma goes to school so she goes to school too and give her a wee reward chart for a treat at end of week… I wouldn’t worry if she is happy when you are collecting her they can turn it on and off sometimes just check in with the daycare staff, don’t ever be afraid to ask them anything at all

Due to the pandemic and lockdowns my son would rather be at home with all his toys then go out to a park, play with friends, or anything fun. Maybe she’s feeling the same way?? When i take him to do something fun he just keeps saying how he wants to go home. It breaks my heart that he was was only about 8 months old when all this started so now he’s rather stay home and play instead of going out to do something fun. He literally tells me, “momma you wants to go to mommas new house” (you is him and he calls our house “mommas new house” lol) maybe she’s feeling the same as him?!?

Perhaps she has separation anxiety after being home with you all of the time for a whole year. Maybe just give her some time to adjust?

Listen to your gut I had the same thing happen with my son and daughter when they were babies I showed up early one day I got off work early went to the babysitter nobody answered the door so I just walked in and I found my son in the backyard and being hit in the head with baseball bat from the woman’s teenage sons my daughter was missing she was upstairs in a room with their teenage son I should have never left my kids when they cried and tried to hang on to me I regret it to this day

Going through the same my 16 yo daughter did remote learning for the past year and kept my son he is 2 yrs nd 2 months we just started daycare again and it’s awful he cries and I cry the whole way to work I hate it it’s really playing a toll in my mental health I just hope it gets better he does settle after I leave but cries in and off through the day it’s a whole new schedule from getting up at 7 am to a strict nap time no binkie during anytime but Naptime I’m trying to keep him on the same schedule at home during weekends to help. I’m right there with you momma

I had same happen with my boys. Had In daycare. Oldest would scream all time when I left. Come to find out the lady was hitting my son when I left . I got her shut down after this. And my oldest caught ring worm in his hair from her daycare. I was so upset. There was multiple people saying same thing to .

1 Like

She’s just more aware now, it’s fine.

1 Like

My son was having the same issues. I changed his daycare. Day three at the new daycare and he would take off to be with his friends and teacher.

1 Like

It’s most likely just the change in environment. After being at home with you for a year, there’s going to be some separation anxiety. Unless there are red flags of something wrong going on at daycare, just give it some time. Most younger kids (heck, probably all kids to some degree) who’ve been home for the past year due the pandemic are probably struggling going back this year.

1 Like

I understand that being a concern but it also could be because her routine changed up. She was going originally, then off for a year, then going back. It could be separation anxiety or it could be because of the daycare. I wouldn’t rule that out. Definitely do some digging and see.

My son was like this. The difference was he wasn’t in a daycare. There was times I had to leave and he didn’t like it. Even when he went to preschool. I always had something for him. a picture of me. Anytime he missed me he would look at it. Then he felt better. I always told him I will be back. The picture did help.

Try a new daycare. My son started daycare at 1. He only went one day a week to start out and cried every time I took him. He started a new daycare 2 days a week and absolutely loves it.

1 Like

Separation anxiety. What happens once you’re gone? Does she go and play a couple minutes after you’ve left? We’ve been having the same big feelings with my now first grader for years. Separation anxiety is tough. Good luck! I’d say it gets easier, but we’re still waiting for that. Daniel Tiger has an episode where they sing “Grownups come back.” It helps a little.

2 Likes

I worked on Preschool 30 yrs , this is normal , she’s been with you so it’s a guilt trip she’s putting on you , I seen it all , just talk to the teachers, she will be fine , I promise you :+1:

4 Likes

It will let better, my daughter is usually stuck to me 24/7 and she just started headstart first week she cried when I dropped her off. Now she is better.

Make sure the staff and other kids are being nice to your daughter.

1 Like

I think she has to get used to it. I think it’s what is best for her in the long run and what will be best for you in the long run. I would look into switching her daycares if she dont take to it after 6 six. My biggest question and biggest concern is how long are you leaving her there??? Anything more than 8 hours is way too much!!! Some POS mom leave their kids their all 12 hours the daycare is open while they ran around and get their nails done and go to the tanning bed. That’s not okay!!! You think a 8 hour work shift is hard on you? Its 10 times harder on toddlers!!! Start off part time if you can? I understand you might not be able to do that. But try to leave her there as little as possible. These little ones really shouldn’t have more than a six hour day at school or daycare.

2 Likes

When my son started vpk in the summer the first week was pre hell he screams, cried, threw fits. The next week was easier just a few moments of crying and that was it. It will get easier, your child has been by your side for a year plus.

Hand her to them, say love you see you later and go, stand outside the door and watch how quickly she calms down, seeing that part sometimes helps

5 Likes

My son did that, then right when the door shut the daycare provider said he stopped crying and started playing…kids play there parents lol she will be fine…

With thus covid thing, my granddaughter didnt want us to leave her at pre school after a year of going nowhere, it took a few weeks she overcame her fear.

Ask for picture updates, my son did the same and after 5 minutes went by he was having fun and playing with other kids.

As someone that worked in childcare 8+ years, it’s common for children. She just need to readjust again. She got use to being home with mommy so she’s probably taking it hard. She’ll be fine just has to get use to her routine again :heart:

I totally feel you :heart: I went back to work in March after taking a year off of work or almost a year it was about 9-10 months. My son cried and didn’t want me to drop him off. Eventually he started to love it. I switched daycares and he loves it now. He’s also in kindergarten so he loves that too. I dont believe you’re traumatizing your child. I feel like its def the change of environment and the fact that mommy isn’t there to hold her when she cries. So shes kinda needing to self soothe. My son would cry like crazy and he got super sad. Then I pretended to walk away and when. He wouldn’t look. I’d turn around and check on him and he was still sad but no longer crying. He’ll def self soothe and go play. Lol hang in there love :cupid: I completely understand the guilt trip. I would cry on my way to work

How long has she been back at daycare? If you took a year off and she just started again give it a month for her to adjust. Big changes are hard on kids. I work at a daycare and it’s really normal for kids to cry/ get clingy when it’s time for parents to go. Usually after 10 minutes they are playing and having a great time! Transitions are tough. If after a month you still feel that it may be something occurring with the daycare look into a new one and see if the behavior continues.

How long has this been the pattern? A few days is no big deal but after a week I would consider trying a different daycare.

My little boy, when he started rising 3s, cried solid for weeks. They would ring me he’s been sick from crying and I’ll go get him and it was horrible. I nearly pulled him the week he started getting use to it. Best thing I did was keep going with it xx

Kiss your child walk away and try to shake it off your baby will be fine and do Not feel guilty Covid children regressed its up to us to get them back on the right track

I’ve been at a daycare for almost 8 years and when we have little ones do this it is sad. But as soon as you leave 3-5 minutes they ALWAYS stop crying and have a great day. 3 is old enough to say “I’m going to work/school” be back soon and walk out the door. It seems to be more traumatizing when the parents hold on to them or try not to leave to comfort them.

No that normal. It will take a few weeks to get her uses to it again

With this whole covid lockdowns that started last year, my daughter was with me 24/7. So when I did have to start leaving her, with grandparents or other family, she would break down freaking out!! She developed a major seperation anxiety, I got her into therapy, she is doing much better now, but it was hard for a while. It got so bad I couldn’t even walk into another room of the house without her hyperventilating and breaking down!!

A Politician dream come true. It’s Power to Control

If she was OK with it before, you had better investigate. Talk to some other parents, or choose another place. Employees have changed everywhere, so it may not be what it was before.

She is just playing u​:joy::joy::joy::joy:. My son would cry everyday he got on the bus. And the helper would send me a video 5 mints later singing wheels on the bus and clapping. You probably showed sadness on day one and now she is trying to comfort you. It’s something she knows and enjoyed so don’t worry to much unless it’s a new day care and she doesn’t know any of the teachers.

Talk to her about how you are so happy she has alot of friends and ask what they did and tell her that sounds awesome and encourage her she needs to do it again

My 5 year old would melt down like that every day I dropped him off. He would cry and cling to me. He’s in kindergarten and he still tries to do it sometimes. It got to the point where my husband had to drop him off because he doesn’t cry with him.

My 2 year old walks right in and doesn’t look back at us. She literally doesn’t even say goodbye :joy::joy::joy:

It’s normal for kids to experience separated anxiety, especially toddlers in daycare. I always spoke to my son’s teachers and they said he would calm down. The most he ever cried was 5 minutes. I would suggest speaking to them before getting too concerned!

I know it’s hard, mama. We don’t want our babies to cry for us and it feels unnatural leaving them when they’re screaming for us. But daycare is so great for kids socially and educationally!

2 Likes

I used to draw a heart on my daughter’s hand to let her know I was thinking of her all day. It helped.

2 Likes

I worked many years in daycare. Sometimes, the parent sets the kids off, producing anxiety, hanging around worried. As soon as the parent left, the child settled down and was fine until the next day.
I, also, had a crier. He was so cute but had serious separation anxiety and cried on and off throughout the day. I carried him on my hip for many many months before he calmed down. His second year, he was fine, occasionally crying. No one was hurting him, he was well cared for, just seriously attached to his family. His mother still remembers those days and has thanked me. He is in his 20’s now I think.
My point is, there are various factors, sometimes parents can unknowingly cause it, sometimes it is just the child. Talk with the teachers and be open to honesty. If your mom spidey senses are tingling, listen to your gut, though.

1 Like

When I worked as a teacher at a day care .I found having a picture of mom that they could hold , and I reassured the m that mom had to go , but she left her love to keep them safe , then put my arm around them so the. could feel the warmth. convincing them them that was their mother 's love they felt…then involve them in in a activity they liked to distract their mind of mom… It worked. After a few days they looked forward to going to daycare. It worked for me. :heartbeat::heartbeat::smiley:

We have a few kiddos doing the same at the elementary level even those who have attended in person prior to this pandemic… it could be the change… I’d do surprise visits without letting her see you so if it is a separation thing she didn’t start crying mid day

Separation anxiety, most likely stops crying after you leave.

1 Like

It could be because she was with you for an entire year and daycare jacked up her daily schedule. The longer you stay to reassure her she’ll be ok, the longer it’ll take for her to get used to being there. At pickup ask about her day, be extra excited when you do pick her up. See if they’ll give her a designated play buddy who goes daily and used to daycare at drop off. Some children just don’t like being away from their parents, it may be easier if she goes to the same center she went to before. See if you can hand her off to the same teacher in her class, it might help if she gets a bond with at least one of the teachers. Also make sure she’s not having any issues with any children or workers there. Some children may also not be used to hearing a strict/authoritative voice and that can also cause problems.

I worked 25 years at Day care. Some kids take a couple weeks to asjust.Give it a chance .she’ll love it after awhile.

At this age it could be anything. Weather they aren’t treating her right or maybe it’s just that she’s so used to being with only you…its something you have to find out. Sneak in and observe a few times, do they punish her for crying? Is she being ignored or made fun of? Or are they taking really good care of her and it’s a separation anxiety that will most likely go away in a short time? (My grandson used to do this when he was dropped off here and I told his mom he stops crying as soon as you leave! Because he did. He’d start playing with his sisters and be fine until dad picked them up).

You might consider looking into the day care maybe something happened to her there that made her not want to go back . If someone is hurting her that’s a good reason for the sudden change

I don’t know of this helps. But my daughter’s first daycare she cried and then got over it after a while. Her second though she would not let me leave! Come to find out the second daycare was man handling my daughter just bc she wouldn’t sit down when she told her to. And when I went into my youngest I couldn’t find her. They had her pined under her cover to make her sleep and it was a thick cover! I know not all day cares are like thos but make sure you do make surprise visits just to make sure if your babies keep crying or stands at the window watching you leave.

I have worked in daycare for 30 years,more than likely it is a phase because your child hasn’t been away from you for a long period of time,more than likely in time it will be just fine,separation anxiety is very common,talk positively about going to daycare,dont linger at the door,kiss and hug goodbye,if it doesn’t get better in a couple weeks,talk to your child,is someone being mean to them? Talk to the teacher,I bet given time,all will be well

At that age it can take time to adjust if she doesn’t after two weeks then it’s time to shop for a new daycare

Talk to her and ask her whats wrong. Could be abuse of some sort or it could just be separation anxiety. After you are confident it’s not abuse. Then you need to set ground rules. Children need to learn to be away from her parents. My son and daughter did this in preschool. My son adventualy got over it. His 1st day he told me mommy’s ain’t supposed to leave thier kids with strangers. I told him they are his teachers not strangers. He said I don’t know them they are strangers. He got over it tho. My daughter is a different story she’s younger then her brother. She screamed the whole time. I would sit in the hallway and cry. The last day I took her out and said we will try again next year. She loved it the following year. Only reason I took her out is cause it was not fair to the other kids in the class. She screamed the whole class. Poor teachers tried everything. After that I started socializing her with people. Encouraging her to even stay the night with family to get her use to being away from me. Baby steps worked for her. She is my youngest. And she was ready by the next year.