Could my copper IUD be causing these issues?

I have the paraguard IUD it’s non hormonal and I have had it for about 4 years and I still have my period on it and when I first got on it I bled for 9 months and the Dr just said it’s normal so I would just go get checked out ASAP since you smell like copper

Wonder why they went to copper. Had an IUD for years with no problems— but it was plastic.

I heard that paragard IUD was recalled. When I got my first IUD (6 years ago) my doctor didn’t recommend it, so I got Mirena instead. My period completely went away after 6 months, but I thought that’s one of the perks of all IUD’s. I just have occasional spotting during that time of the month. I would get that removed asap. There are other iUD options that are not copper.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Could my copper IUD be causing issues? - Mamas Uncut

Yes this can be from the IUD but also did your doctor know you had this before giving you antibiotics if not it could be because of the medication

It sounds like copper toxicity, while rare it’s not unheard of or impossible and can start anywhere from 6 months to a few years after implantation

1 Like

If everything is smelling like metal it sounds like something could be wrong with your sinuses. The smell of metal could mean there’s blood in your sinus cavity. I’ve never heard of the iud affecting other bodily fluids other than from the vaginal area. You should 100% get the iud checked because you said the depth felt different and they aren’t supposed to move. I’ve never dealt with a copper iud before so it could be from that but by symptoms it doesn’t sound like it. I hope this helps some

Definitely talk to your dr. Some people do get high levels of copper in their system from the copper IUD

If you’re coupled have a convo with partner about vasectomy as that’s totally reversible if y’all decide you’re ready for another child. He will need to ejaculated at least 50 times before all active swimmers have been expelled. Hope this helps.

Yes! I had a similar experience but I had mine for almost 10 years. I removed it. And everything down there went back to normal.

Yes it can and they can sterilize you. This is your body rejecting it. Call your doctor.

1 Like

I would definitely get it checked out. I had complications with mine. Mine also ended up moving and got embedded into my cervix and had to be removed.

I gave birth to mine. I had some issues of smelling copper all the time also. Went to get it checked out and it was trying to push itself out. My body rejected it.

Dude. Go ask a doctor. You can die from that.

My
IUD did the same thing, so I switched it to the hormonal IUD and the smell went away .

Call your doctor to at least get it checked out. It may not be anything but it may be something as well.

I thought they recalled the copper iud ? :hushed:

Absolutely could be the root of the problem. And the no period is definitely behind it.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Could my copper IUD be causing issues? - Mamas Uncut

I would ask your pharmacist! They are more likely to know the side effects and have resources to look up adverse effects or the side effects that affect a sliver of the patients if that makes sense.

General guideline is pharmacist for any prescriptions or drug related questions, doctors for diagnosing.

1 Like

I would see you doctor. They can exam you and confirm if the copper is adhering to your tissue. There could be metals going into your blood stream causing you to also smell it now.

Antibiotics make your birth control ineffective. Your doctor should’ve told you this.

2 Likes

I had the copper iud for 4 years, first 3 years no issues the last 12 months, I was having continual cramps, a very bad back ache, intermittent spotting. The docs said it was the coil, I listened to my gut, had it taken out and it was almost instant! All my symptoms went! Trust your gut!!

A “metal” smell, such as iron? Which is in your blood stream which is literally what any blood smells like? Lol

Honey I think you’re pregnant. No period + strong sense of smell especially a metallic smell screams pregnant. And yes you can still get pregnant with an IUD. It’s not common but it does happen especially if it dislodged. Your IUD itself wouldn’t cause this unless you have Wilkinsons Disease (a very rare allergy to copper/the bodies inability to process copper) rare as it is its much more likely that you’re pregnant

4 Likes

They made the IUD seem so great to me because I wouldn’t have insurance and it’s a long term birth control. It caused me quite a few problems :disappointed: even after it was out I felt some certain things from having it. Everything has a side affect no matter how perfect it sounds

4 Likes

Get it removed asap! I had mirena, it made me feel soo crazy & my period would disappear for months.

2 Likes

My sister had the copper IUD years ago and she had horrible problems with it including severe pain and endometriosis.
I never ever gave a thought to using an IUD because of what she went through. Good luck

1 Like

Another reason why I removed mine and got the Liletta Iud instead. It’s been a good 6 years for me.

2 Likes

I had an copper iud , it not only gave me a bad infection, but i got pregnant with it in. My daughter was even born prematurely after treating the infection

2 Likes

Why do so many people say ‘take it out’. You’re obviously not medical professionals, everyone reacts differently and no one needs to be told what to do with their bodies.
I’m on my 2nd Mirena. It works perfectly for me, it saved my life. Too many know it all’s!!!

4 Likes

Yes. My copper IUD messed with my body so badly. I ended up having to remove it because it was such pain dealing with the symptoms.

2 Likes

Just my personal experience and opinion but I had an iud after my daughter for about two years and didn’t have periods
It wouldn’t let me lose weight either
I just didn’t feel right with it
Switched to the pill and got my period back and am losing weight
Best decision ever made
One nurse told me
“You know there’s no medical evidence that proves you need to have a period, right?”
Ma’am just take this thing out of me :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Everyone is different. it might not affect others and affect you. I’m glad you are asking your doctor.

1 Like

I had the CU-7 and it caused an infection that destroyed my fallopian tubes. Please get checked!!!

I have a copper coil and it moved right up into my cervix. Currently having scans to see where it has gone. It is possible that it moved but its also possible it has fallen out.

Get an appointment to have a scan to see if it is still there and they will take it from there. Hope all goes well for you sweet xxx

5 Likes

Aot of medicines and even vitamins can cause a certain body odor but since you are having other problems see your Dr asap

My IUD had been moving for months… Each time I used a tampon it moved a bit… Cramping during my period got the strings low enough that the tampons would reach them. My Gynae had to use an ultrasound to find it during a routine checkup.

1 Like

Talk to your doctor about all the things you have stated. Remember everyone’s bodies are different so they can only give you their experience. I hope you get it sorted :slightly_smiling_face: xx

5 Likes

I had Merina IUD it caused nothing but problems… I was told it was safe and could be removed easily( not true) and would still be able to have more children… After two years of pain and severe problems I had to have it removed through surgery it perforated my uterus and my intestines. And can’t have any more children as a result of all the scare tissue…

Take it out!! I had several infections after mine. I was too young to realize what it has done to my body! Because of the IUD I never conceived a child. And had problems ever sense please take it out

I got mine removed a couple months ago after having it for two years! The amount of problems I had with it it’s definitely not in your head! I ended getting it removed because it had moved itself and it was sore :pleading_face:

1 Like

I had problems with my IUD in the past my doctor cut it back as far as she could and it was still giving us problems until she had to remove it and I end up getting fixed to where I couldn’t have no kids. I hope that your problem gets better.

Same exact thing happened to me!!! I went to my doctor and got blood work done- hyper thyroid.

I did get COVID vaccinated a week before my iud And since then things haven’t been right

I honestly can say I just had the same thing happening to me but I went to the emergency room because I had started bleeding so bad it scared me and I was afraid something happened it never dawned on me about my paragaurd they did ultrasounds and cat scans and I guess the er didnt think it was the problem so I went to the obgyn and he noticed right away that it was out of place and he took it out and had me wait a month and come back for a new birth control but like you I cant use hormonal birth controls due to mood swings and stuff so I opted for paragaurd again since I had it after my first child for 5 years then I had my second and it’s been 4 years and it’s been good I didnt regularly check it and not to mention the dr didnt put it in the right spot in the first place. But in the end I wouldn’t be embarrassed it happens and really there still could be a chance of that not even being the cause better just get it checked to be safe

I would take a pregnancy test if your period has stopped. And if the strings have moved in anyway I would recommend having a scan to see if it is in the correct place

my exes cousin had the copper iud and it started to implant more above her cervix and cause her to get an infection she needed surgery to remove it …

I had the mirena and it stopped my periods for 4 years, had to have it surgically removed because it moved too far out of reach :confounded:

I worked as a surgical tech and have seen iuds need to be surgically removed because of moving or absorbing through the flesh.

Could
Be but I have the Paraguard and I don’t have that problem so go to the OBGYN .

1 Like

Every iud is different, my first one went amazing I had no issues no pain no complications once so ever had it removed when I was ready to have my second child and then afterwards I had my second one put in the exact same one as the first time and it caused serious damage! I ended up having a full hysterectomy at 26 because of it. If your having issues I would suggest seeking a second opinion if your dr is telling you that your fine because only you know if something is wrong

My IUD moved n caused nothing but pain for me! So I got it removed!

Definitely make an appointment. Might be from the IUDbut it could be something entirely different.

Get an ultrasound scan done ASAP…it’s shifting away from its position. Get it removed before it shifts higher up your cervix & into your uterus.

1 Like

When I had my iud I was in constant pain :weary:

1 Like

I had to get mine out. It embedded in the lining of my uterus, my body hated it.

I had an awful time with it. Got it removed immediately

also have the same issues before when i have those copper iuds’ .even after just taking a bath…your whole body smells…i just have the doc take it off of me…

Metallic smells can also be related to medical conditions. I know metallic taste in your mouth can be caused from diabetes.

I had a horrible time with my iud. I also had copper. I bled for 14 weeks. It came unraveled and slice the wall of my cervix. No bueno on those!

6 weeks after your sons birth and you were drink driving !!!??? You’ll get no sympathy from me , you should be ashamed of yourself.

Have it removed and get an updated version! Copper is old
School!

they were upset i didnt get mine removed / replaced at 18 months that might be why ?

Time to make an appointment with your doctor

Why ask fb, you need a gun or at keast a doctor to investigate and advise

My Marina IUD destroyed my mental health and my digestive system

2 Likes

PLEASE get an appointment with your doctor for bloodwork and urinalysis.
ASAP
Sending positive vibes.

1 Like

Yep! I literally smelled like pennies.

Mine did too… I hated it, got it out best decision ever!

Talk to your physician. Don’t believe what you read on this site.

1 Like

Antibiotics cancel out birth control

Get that out of your body ASAP.

I have the Kyleena in, best decision ever so far. I get little to almost no periods, I don’t have to remember taking a pill everyday, I already had cystic acne before it so it’s really no difference for me but most days I keep it under control with skincare and eating habits. It hasn’t messed with my weight (I’m the problem, not my iud) :joy: and I don’t really get mood swings either. IUDs depends on the person and how well adjusted the body does for it and for others it’s terrible and some there’s not really any problems. I hope they figure out what’s going on fast cause that sounds super weird for every liquid of yours to smell like copper…

1 Like

Don’t mess around with your health, call your doctor

Get it removed before you become very ill.

Just go get your tubes tied!! You can still have a baby with in vitro if you want more… It’s not worth all the chemicals!!!

3 Likes

You should be asking your doctor this question.

Always talk to your doctor before getting on birth control and while your on birth control they heard all questions before your not doing anything wrong I have the iud and it stopped my period all together nothing wrong with that

I had a copper coil in years ago with no problem. Fast forward 30 something years and my daughter used one too with no problems. Talk to your doctor.

Dit hoor ik voor het eerst ga een check up doen hoor succes

First question, have you looked into the history of the IUD? If not I’d strongly suggest it. Also ask what issues cause that, I forgot who it was but a long time ago this guy started to taste copper or metals and it was actually very serious. Check everything

My advice. Get rid of it now.

Get to a doctor right away

Talk to your OB/GYN about this… not Facebook.

Your body is trying to tell you something is going on that isn’t right. If you smell of copper and you’re tears smell of copper and you’ve a copper thing inserted into your body just sitting there- then it would be rational to say something ‘coppery’ is going on and it isn’t good. I bet if you had a blood test for copper it would be unacceptable levels. I’d be shocked if it didn’t. What would be irrational would be the doctor saying there is nothing going on and the IUD has no affect on tour body whatsoever and without doing a proper investigation. What medication or prosthesis is perfect for one person can be deadly or maims another. We each have a different chemical makeup so our reactions to different medication and metal is different. If I wear a copper bracket after a week a have a major green stain and start feeling lethargic / sick. :weary: others it’s fine. I’d be getting a blood test to check for copper levels and seriously consider different birth control. In the least get checked out to make sure it isn’t the IUD. You know your body so you know if something isn’t right. Just get checked to see if you can still have it or need to make a change.

Of course it can cause issues, it’s a foreign object in your body :woman_facepalming:

They lie all the time

you may be allergic to to copper? :woman_shrugging: never heard of this, however, its probably because im not a medical professional and this is social media…ASKYOURDOCTOR!

Contact your physician

Best to you, young lady!

it is good advise to get educated on other mediums of generating passive income, as the saying goes " knowledge is power" Stockhaven investments is running a Bitcoin investment program where you can earn profit off the Crypto market this season, they have a very reliable and trusted trading platform which they utilizes to help investors earn maximum profit on every Investment. Feel free to reach out to Mr Alan Blaine Wolf for more information

Yes deff go to your dr for sure

Get rid of it. !!!

Use the modern Low dose birth control pills .

They work well amd and will not hurt you.

Written by an RN .

I had one and boy was I sorry

Talk to your doctor not Facebook not your friend personal not public

Gynecologist, dummy!!

Talk to a doctor and not facebook

Ask ur doctor. Not people on fb

Yes go to the Doctor