Could my ex win in court?

Just do joint custody lay down ground rules. And let her have his name. At least hes trying.

1 Like

Is his name on her birth certificate? Were you married? Has he been paying. Child support? (If not file a petition right away for that). I doubt he would get joint custody at this point. Would you agree to liberal visitation? How does she feel about the visits? Listen to your lawyer. Unfortunately it will depend on the judge you get. Show the court you’re willing to be reasonable up to a point. And don’t let him push any buttons before you go to court.

1 Like

I don’t think asking for join custody is unreasonable, but sounds like he’s been pretty inconsistent as a father. Kids need stability and if he decides to move again in a few months, that’s only going to hurt your daughter. Try to get to an agreement before going to court.

Unfortunately, it will depend on the judge.

1 Like

Why don’t you ask the child what she wants? She’s 9, she should know if she wants the time with him. It seems as if he’s now making roots and ready to be stable.

2 Likes

She can take his name if she chooses to when she’s an adult and no judge will give him custody

1 Like

Depends on the law in your state.

I can’t really help you with all the other stuff but, ask your daughter about the last name thing. See what she wants to do and go from there.

3 Likes

No he won’t win the name change, however he can obtain “joint custody” in the form of visitations. Judge will call him out on waiting 9y to act like a dad all of a sudden tho.

2 Likes

Court will not order a name change . Hopefully his willingness won’t be short lived.

1 Like

You know what that child needs. Go for it.

Why not share custody? That’s his child too. You’re not the only parent that matters. It sounds like he’s been a good dad and loves his daughter so why try to keep him at a distance? Work together for her like you should. Joint custody is fair when both parents are in the child’s life consistently. She knows a routine, cool. She has a father though and if he wants time with his daughter then he deserves that just as much as you. Last name thing, that’s up to a judge.

3 Likes

He wont win the name change

1 Like

Typically, from what I understand, in these types of situations the non-custodial parent has to have pretty good reasoning as to why the current custody order would change. As well as substantial proof that the circumstances aren’t going to change again any time soon. Like for example if he has a job that requires him to move around a lot, and this is just bringing him back in time for a period of time, rather than permanently, it’s not likely to change the order. If it’s permanent, it might.

1 Like

Joint custody isn’t unreasonable. He’s her father. He has just as much right to her as you.
Every state is different. If he’s been using his time, it’s not unreasonable to request more. If he signed an Affidavidt of Paternity agreeing to the name, at birth, he probably won’t get it changed. Plus, she’s 9. She can have a say. Your lawyer should speak with her, alone, to gauge how she feels. Her opinion matters too. My son’s father tried that at age 5 & the AOP ticked the judge off. Lol The name stayed hyphenated.
Even with the order, he may move & you can change it.
At the end of the day, you share a child with him. Be the parent who encourages that time. Co-parent.

1 Like

Why don’t you want her father to have joint custody? He’s still her dad regardless of your new marriage. He’s trying to be a part of her life and you should welcome that relationship.

They will most likely keep things the same. From my understanding bi-weekly in Wednesday’s is the most common when living in the same area. They may have a mediator talk to your daughter, usually in this case the courts weigh heavily on what the child wants. Best thing is to come up with a good co parenting plan for your daughter. Even if you have to cringe your teeth, it’s not for him, it’s not for you, it’s for her. 9 years is a long time to grow up and this could be a good thing. As for the name, they won’t change it.

Probably not the name change unless she wants to when she’s older, there’s no reason for it. But if he’s involved, joint custody would make sense. Although I would think they would have to do some kind of trial or something if he’s never spent more than 2 days in a row with her.

2 Likes

Name change I don’t think he’ll win. Honestly if he finally sees reason and understanding he’ll understand she’s had that name for nine yrs all her paperwork etc. A true parent wouldn’t change all that after nine yrs unless the child wanted it

If he is her biological father he would get visitation if he was in Ohio

If he’s a good dad then yeah he can be awarded joint custody and so he should.What if he did that to you,or went for full custody saying he’s the better parent.Not sure on the name change but be prepared for your lives to change.He couldn’t do it while he lived far away but now he can so don’t be selfish

My sister went through this with her son. (Virginia) When she asked him what he wanted he told her that he didn’t want to make mad or sad but he wanted his dad’s last name. He had his own reasons. My sister did not fight it after that as it was what her son wanted. He also has a little sister and they now have different last names.

I really highly doubt he will win any of what he wants… First of all, when you originally named her, he should’ve thought of that then… And he has been sporadic at best… They aren’t going to change her custody agreement because he all of a sudden decided to do what he should’ve been doing all along. I wouldn’t stress … But truthfully, your lawyer can give you a better/more realistic idea

1 Like