Daughter started her period, and her dad won't let me come get her

Hopefully you’ve already spoken to her and prepared her for it. Bring her supplies to school and make sure she has them in her bag going forward. I started sending them with my girls in fourth grade, just in case.

I think the child should decide who she wants to discuss this with. And it’s most likely gonna be momma! I would feel more comfortable talking about stuff like that to my mom, rather than my dad.

1 Like

Is she asking for you?? If she was then go get her and take her to get something to eat and make sure she has a good supply of underwear, pads and maybe some pain relief if she is really having bad cramps and then drop her back off when he’s off work.

2 Likes

I may be the oddball here but when i started my period I called my dad. He left work to bring me pads and such. Give him a chance.

3 Likes

Did she ask for you? Is he otherwise handling it and gotten her product?
Yes it’s a significant point in her life, but if he has it handled, and she hasn’t asked you to come get her then leave it be. Dad’s going to end up having her during future periods, and it is NOT a valid reason to overstep custody arrangements. Take her out when she gets back. Not every girl we"wants her mom" not every girl is freaked by the first period (especially if you’ve had convos about it before) there is nothing to bond over, and your kids going to have to get used to being on her period around men. The world doesn’t stop and drastically change all because of a period.

6 Likes

Dad needs to stop being so controlling. If she wants mom for this moment in life let her go to mom. Ridiculous a father would do this.

10 Likes

As a daughter that had no mom only a dad (who had not the first clue about periods) I would go to her school, supplies in hand, n sit in the nurses office n ask if she needs help with whatever. I would also leave a letter for dad saying that you have supplied your daughter with what she needs for now but you would appreciate if he could stop at a store n get the following… then list what you brought her and anything else that would help( heating pad, Tylenol pads) to have it on hand. Be polite, be civil in the letter. Also remind him that at her age and issue it’s not about taking time away from him n you would have gladly extended his time the next time. It’s about making your ( his n yours) daughter feel comfortable. 1st periods are the worse n especially starting in school! ( happened to me) in the future make sure she has a to go to bag of supplies she can carry in her backpack for just these times. They sell them on Etsy. Co parenting doesn’t have to be a battle. The calmer you are the better off your child will be. Sometimes letters get your point across without confrontation.

5 Likes

He sounds like a jerk!

2 Likes

I hate the “schedule” it made me and my ex fight more.

I need y’all to have better reading comprehension and context clues. This child asked for her mother and the father is being selfish and saying no because it’s his parenting time. He’s an asshole and you are too if your trying to support his selfishness :woman_shrugging:t4::woman_shrugging:t4:

I’d be going and getting my baby. If something is said I’d explain why. It’s embarrassing to have you dad involved in your first period

4 Likes

All of you “its my time with her” people apparently can’t read. She’s at school -_- Couldn’t mom just pick her up, comfort her and then take her to her dad’s house? Yall extra.

7 Likes

Same thing happened with my daughter. I spoke with her over the phone, she was fine. And returned home to me the next day.

1 Like

I would tell the dad he is a dick and go get my child but that’s just me yeah I’m sure he’s capable of helping her but is that something he really wants to help her with probably not and is that something she wants to talk with her dad about probably not go get your baby

If she asked for you he needs to sit tf down.

1 Like

I’m confused a little. This says he told her you couldn’t come pick her up until he got off work? Did she call and ask you to pick her up and you told her to ask dad? She asked dad and he said no? Does she want you to pick her up from school? Shes 12 she can choose and also swap days if she wants to go to dads but wants to leave school early because she started her period at school. I started at school my grandma came and picked me up from school. I didnt want to wear the nurses clothes that were probably 2 sizes to big and everybody know I started my period at school because I’m wearing different clothes. And didn’t want to be walking around in period panties or pants I started in. Kids are assholes especially 12 and 13 year olds. I’m not saying dad can’t handle it but if she asked you to get her I damn well would.

If you go get her and it’s his parenting time he can file contempt of court and a judge won’t be happy on why you took your daughter. I understand she needs you but you also need to understand that her dad can handle this.

You don’t quit being a mother on his time. This is traumatic as hell and I’d take his ass back to court. He needs parenting classes if he thinks she should be traumatized and embarrassed at school in dirty clothes.

You’re an idiot…. Your daughters needs should come before anything… GO GET HER

1 Like

She should already know what to expect so Only if she’s pushing for you to get her. Dad is capable of comforting her as well.

2 Likes

i would go get her and he could always pick her up later. When my daughter ( at 11) started hers she was scared to death, she thought she was dying or going to dye from bleeding to death. but she was at my house thank god when it happened. her father would not have had a clue, because when she needed to start wearing a bra and i told him to buy her some for his house he was disgusted. said he don’t look at his daughter like that and it was just yuck. i said she was growing up and that was part of it that he needed to adjust to that.

1 Like

He obviously cares more about hurting the mother, than the actual child and that’s pathetic. When a young girl starts menstruating they need their mom, or even dad but it doesnt sound like he was volunteering to leave work.

6 Likes

She will be fine till u get her

4 Likes

Take her a period pack with everything she needs and baby wipes in case of a mess

4 Likes

You need to ask her what she needs. If she’s ok then let dad handle it. If she asked for you then go get her

5 Likes

What a jerk!!!
I would have picked my daughter up.You could have spent a little girl time with her & dropped her off at her dad’s later on.If he was a good dad,he would have let her stay with you.It’s a big day for a young girl.Definitely one that should be spent with her mom.

3 Likes

If it was my daughter and Mom couldn’t pick her up I would take time To go get her. No problem.

5 Likes

It’s his parenting time. Back off.

12 Likes

What’s wrong with the father being a parent, the daughter could have called the mother from school if she had problems.

5 Likes

If she’s asking YOU to get her, go. If she’s fine staying at dads, let her.

3 Likes

I’d hope either parent would be capable of handling her first period and answering any questions she has. Though I’m sure she’d be more comfortable asking her mom. As long as she has the proper supplies needed I don’t see the issue. I’d say there is more to this story.

4 Likes

I’m assuming your daughter being 12 knows what periods are and has been expecting to get them and school has probably also talked about them so pretty sure your daughter will be fine with dad. My dad bought up 6 girls on his own with no issues about periods what so ever so I’m pretty sure she will be fine with her dad. My daughter also got hers at 10 when she was away for a week. Just give her a big hug when she gets home.

He sounds like a jerk I’d definitely bring her some extra cloths and some pads and tampons and some midol and some chocolate :chocolate_bar:. And just tell her it’s going to be okay . And be there for her to have her switch out the cloths and you take the dirty period cloths and wash them and if she’s isn’t feeling well take her home and explain to him what happened . If he can’t be understand then tell your lawyer

I would have already went and got her!

2 Likes

My twin daughters and I discussed all of this well before they started so no matter where they were they knew what to do. My husband would want me to come get them lol. But his daughter (my bonus) also started at our home and I helped her through it.

1 Like

See if she needs anything. Change of clothes, baby wipes, pads. If so, bring and drop off to her. If not, let dad handle. You will have her in a day or two.

She needs her mama at this time! It is very hard for young girls at a time like this. Just remember the menstrual emotions we go through.

Selfish father, only cares about himself!

1 Like

She needs her mom for this

He can handle it, He is her Dad.

1 Like

It’s Saturday…why is she at school? Also on this I feel like if she requests you then that’s fine but if not let him parent

2 Likes

If she wasn’t aware of what could happen, go get her. That’s traumatizing.

If she did, then dad can handle it.
My daughters dad is well aware and keeps pads and extra clothes stocked for our 11 yr old.

It should be up to the daughter. If she wants mom, then she should get mom. If she’s OK with dad then that’s fine too. This is a very private moment and she should be allowed to go to the one that she needs the most

1 Like

I would bring her a “care bag”. Extra pants/undies, a few pads at least, and a small baggie of motrin/midol.

I started at that age and I was crippled by cramps. Had my dad done something like that, he’d of gotten a mouthful and no apology

2 Likes

She’s 12, not 8. I would hope she was already prepared for it to start.

If she’s asking for you, then he should let you get her. Otherwise I’m sure she’s fine.

1 Like

Go to the school make sure she is ok and what not give her what she needs and go.

1 Like

You don’t need your husbands permission to attend to your newly menstruating daughter( while she is at school) wasted time making this post or rant

my taughts are your ex is an A hole :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Shes gonna remember this & will resent him for not allowing you to go help your daughter… I would take her some pads regardless of what he wants…

That’s not fair to the daughter. Her daughter should be able to see her mom regardless of who’s parenting time it is for something like this

1 Like

He sounds like a dickhead. I would pick her up.

That’s just crazy. He should think of her condition and not be so selfish

He’s an :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: … poor thing…I hate when kids are embarrassed

I can’t believe you’re asking this.

Put together a kit and leave it on his doorstep. He’s being selfish but you need to take the high road. Use this time to plan something special for when she gets home.

5 Likes

Disregard what he said and help your child.

If she’s wanting you. Pick her up. If not it is only just her period. If she has what she needs she’ll be fine. And if she don’t then maybe just drop off what she needs to change.

4 Likes

Definitely needs you ask him if he ever had a period ?!? Make her a special little period basket with the necessities maybe some chocolate or something to cheer her up And let her know you’re here for her

I’d go get her and tell him to f himself

5 Likes

Uh it’s just her period. If she bled through, drop clothes and supplies off. She doesn’t need to be picked up from school.

3 Likes

Hes an insensitive prick, but its his time per court order… make her a care package , discreetly bring it to school for her and talk to her there . Let him get his way, but dont let her feel like you just didnt show up.

I can see why he’s your ex!! :rage:

1 Like

Depends did he drop everything and go take care of it …?

Just go see her, give her what she needs and let him have his last day. Dad needs to learn how to deal with this to

6 Likes

She needs you to at least show her your always there for her.

2 Likes

Go pick her up. I would if that was my child.

3 Likes

The petty in me tell me to let her go to her dads house with no supplies and for her not to ask for supplies and bleed everywhere. Bet he would end his parenting time quick trying to wash blood out of sheets and couches. :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

:joy: Yeah I think NOT. I wouldn’t even be questioning this! I would have already picked her up. And after taking care of her I would ask her if she wants to go back to dad’s for the evening. Not sure what state your in but at the age of 12 kids are legally allowed to state where they wanna be in the state of Texas!

4 Likes

Drop of hygiene products and clothes if she needs them. No need to pick her up from school.

4 Likes

I would say is she asking for u… If not dad can handle it but maybe take her a change of clothes and pads n ask her…

3 Likes

Its hos time but hes definitely not thinking about her best interests. I’m guessing the relationship between the two of you is sucky because hes being selfish.

1 Like

I think he needs to put his ego aside and focus on his daughter’s needs. I am pretty sure she would rather discuss this with you, over him…

3 Likes

Could have called her to the office at school so you could give her pads and stuff. No need to pull her from school. Really not too big a deal as long as she was prepared ahead of time and knows what is going on.

I’d tell him to eff off. It gets irritating when all someone cares about is “their time”. It’s as if that’s more important that the child. Smh. I would be going to get my child. She can always be returned after getting her feminine stuff.

1 Like

Did she ask specifically for you? If not and she feels comfortable with him then leave them be.

1 Like

I think “dad” is an ass. If you can’t pick her up , bring her everything she needs Atleast.

Tell him to put her needs first! You are obviously the best parent to deal with this situation and you don’t need her all night…just for a few hours. Geez what an ass

Go get her anyways. If she was asking for you, it’s cuz she needs her mom right now.

1 Like

It’s up to her what she wants in my opinion. If she feels safe and comfortable being with dad tomorrow I’d let her stay there maybe video chat with her tonight.

What an asshat. I’d pick her up.

My daughter started her’s at school she called me I went and got her. It’s their first time they need to be home never know what their going through.

2 Likes

My thoughts are that he is a jerk because a girl needs Mom when this happens. She should tell Dad she wants to go home.

4 Likes

He is being a big jerk. Your daughter probably has so many things running through her mind! He does not have her best interest at heart all he is doing is trying to stick it to you! I would go get her and then tell him you have her and that your taking care of her. I would make sure she is comfortable and understands everything that is going on. I would then see if she wanted to go back if she did then great if not I would call him and set up another time for him to have her.

2 Likes

In this instance forget what the dad says because it’s an extenuating circumstance. Men know nothing about this. What a totally clueless and uncaring father.

3 Likes

I would have went anyway !

3 Likes

I’m sure the father can handle this by himself you don’t need to pick her up cause she has her period.

4 Likes

That he is a idiot my opinion only

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have to ask anyone what to do… I would go get my daughter & deal with the consequences later. I’m sure any judge would understand!

3 Likes

Fuuuuuuck what he said

If he has court ordered visitation leave her be he is her father I’m sure he can handle it!!!

4 Likes

As long as your on the contract for her. There shouldn’t be a issue. His time or not she is still your child. My step daughter lives with her mom and we are co-parenting very well. When her mom isn’t able to get to the school she calls us and we go for her. Our time or not we trust eachother and we’re family. Fighting and court doesn’t solve anything , it makes everything worse. Just talk to him kindly and tell him we got a daughter together and need to co-parent. I’m sorry but I gotta go see her.

5 Likes

Don’t matter. It’s a medical emergency. Technically you are allowed to get her even if he said you couldn’t since she’s at school and had said medical emergency. If I were you I would have went and got her and told him to suck a fat one :woman_shrugging:t3:

Yeah because men are such professionals at choosing menstrual products right :joy:

1 Like

Let him be a dad. He should be able to handle it.

1 Like

What happens when the mom has passed on, or leaves, ect….dads can handle this. Don’t want change in our world if we aren’t going to completely allow change. Dad can handle this.

7 Likes

She will remember this for the rest of her life and she won’t remember it fondly!! Don’t be surprised, dad, when she asks to move in with her mom full time!!!

3 Likes

Hes a dick. She needs her mama right now.

My ex husband wouldn’t even let my daughter call me!! He made her ring his mum (Nan) and embarrassingly tell her she needed pads then her nana asked her if she told kylie (her dads friend) and my daughter was mortified!! 11 years old and couldn’t even call her own mum, it has done some emotional damage to their relationship but in saying that she did handle it well herself. She had learnt previously through school about it all and from myself and her older 2 sisters so she was somewhat prepared. Children are quite resilient if we stay positive.

Dads are capable of handling periods too.

3 Likes

She’ll be fine no need to get her

2 Likes