Did you choose to medicate your child with ADHD?

Do any other mothers have kids with ADHD? I have assumed my six-year-old has had it for a while now but haven’t gotten him tested yet. I just had a phone conference with his teacher yesterday, and she believes it would be beneficial for him to get tested. My son gets write-ups literally almost every single day, sometimes three a day. His teacher moved him from the front of the class to the back so he can stand without distracting the other kids because he has such a hard time staying in his seat. She gave him a big ball to sit on instead of his chair so he could move around a little bit, but he kept “falling” off of it and disrupting the class; knowing his personality, I’m sure it was on purpose. She also made fidget toys for him to play with during the class to help keep him from getting up and walking around. She also started putting five blocks on his desk and taking one away every time he gets a warning; once he loses all of them, that’s when he gets a write-up. All of these things have been done for only him, not any other students in the class. All of this behavior is also consistent with his behavior at home. So I talked to my son’s dad, and he is absolutely against any medication. He thinks our son is perfect and fine and just needs a good talking too :roll_eyes:like I haven’t already been talking to him this whole time, along with his teachers and my parents. I kind of am against medication too, but I also think it would be wrong not to help him. So I am open to hearing all of our options and figuring out what would work best for him. He is obviously struggling, and school is only going to get harder the older he gets. So I want to know your experiences with ADHD, did you choose to medicate? Why or why not, pros and cons to the medication, any other options…?

119 Likes

Nope, but he doesnt have a bad case of it either

Medication is OK in some instances. Try behavioral therapy too with him

1 Like

I did choose to medicate my son, it just wasn’t fair to make school and learning harder for him. He’s done really well now and we are working on getting caught up. I just want to also say how lucky you are to have a teacher like her. I have had teachers that are nice but none that have gone to that much to help a student out.

Have you addressed the issue thru diet and exercise, sports, outdoor activities

2 Likes

You can get tested and he can get the extra help he needs at school without being medicated. Having a diagnosis doesn’t mean he has to be on medication but that diagnosis will definitely help getting him any other help especially in school! A diagnosis can lead to an IEP which will get him additional resources to aid in his learning experience

3 Likes

i would first get him evaluated and then have a talk with the dr. about your options.

1 Like

With my daughter it has been trail and error, it all just depends on your child and what works best for them! Your doctor should have an ideal where to start and normally gives the medication 2 week trials, some you can tell immediately if they don’t work! I was in the same boat I didn’t want to start medication but now that we’ve found something that works I’m glad we did! Keep your head up momma

My 8 year old has ADHD. My husband and I were always against medicating…and then we tried it. We were so ashamed that we had to resort to medication, that we didn’t tell anyone. His grandmothers both noticed instantly the first time after being around him medicated. There response was, “What’s wrong, does he not feel well? He wasn’t the same kid today.” When they noticed on their own, we knew we had made the right decision. He takes Adderall and is a whole other child. Last year he stayed in the principal’s office alot. This year not one time and got all A’s and B’s. We also were able to get his IEP approved with the diagnosis, so that helped alot in school. Also tried play therapy which didn’t work because he wouldn’t talk to the counselor.

If he does have ADHD, it’s a medical condition and try to think of it that way. You wouldn’t not give him medicine for another ailment and this is the same way, if it’s something he truly needs and you’ve exhausted all other options, then give it to him.

2 Likes

Did medication for 1 year well she was doing behaviour therapy. Also adjusted her diet, and ensured she was getting enough exercise also.

Okay this is Jimbo I’m 64 years old my son is in his 40s now 42 to stay he still has ADH he had as a kid I have six pharmacists to my family what you want is a medicine called methylphenidate not Ritalin Ritalin and speed causes a hyperactive child to burn out the hyperactivity methylphenidate controls the chemical imbalance in the brain but this medicine is not going to work if you don’t diet keep the sugar down as much as you can at all times we would not really sweet fruit can wind them up try not to give these kids with medicine on the weekend so they’re so it doesn’t fill up an immunity to them and whatever possible just take him outside of the yard on the park and little run like a win but run that energy out are good primary care physician can handle this if not to go to a neurologist this is the best thing to do diet diet first you don’t diet you better go bang your head with a hammer to get rid of a headache methylphenidate is the best drug going Jimbo

If you’re hesitant on trying medication I used to work at a center for children who had all different types of learning disabilities and physical disabilities. The therapists there would make the suggestion on trying a small cup of coffee with milk and sugar or a half a can of soda in the morning. The caffeine in the coffee or soda helps wind them down instead of hyping them up and can sometimes be just as effective as most ADD/ADHD medications

1 Like

I am an adult with ADHD and medication helps… As a child my parents didn’t want to medicate and it made my life hell because they didn’t at first… Finally they decided to try it and thank god they did it helped so much… So when my son was diagnosed I straight out the gate was on board with medication since I didn’t want him to suffer like I did … so take it from someone who has it MEDS HELP!!!

1 Like

My 6 yr old has been medicated for 2 years now. Ocd, ODD,bipolar and ADHD. My ex was in denial when I first stated I saw signs when he was 1… my ex finally gave in when the behavior got to be too much to handle. Didn’t even have him tested… doctor heard and saw his behavior first hand that day. Sent us to a pediactric behavioral psychiatrist who made the official diagnosis and prescribed meds. Started on guanfacine and that controlled some of the issues but then changed to adderall… it has been a life saver

Mine is 8… find a small ball, or Something he can roll with his foot… this has helped my daughter so much…

My daughter is six with ADHD and Anxiety. She had major issues in kindergarten and hated school. I chose medication and now she’s much happier and thriving in school. I believe in some instances it is the best way to go. My daughter also has a counselor she sees regularly

My granddaughters has two little girls her pediatrician suggest that she take them to a class they have for children with this problem it teaches them how to deal with the problem of staying in their sit and things to do at home to help them cope with their excess engery.

Both of my girls have ADHD my oldest was diagnosed in kindergarten and my second in 2nd grade. My husband was against medication as well until the doctor said to us to think of it as a medical condition, if you have diabetes for example most would take medication to help them stay healthy. My oldest describes her brain as always running a mile a second and her meds help her brain slow down so she can concentrate on the tasks at hand especially at school. Behavioral therapy is a helpful tool as well!

1 Like

My grandson ! Yes we did ! It’s the best thing for him life got so much better for all of us .

As others have said get your son tested first. My son was three when he has the formal diagnosis. I and his doctor know he was when he was almost two. I did therapy first and when he was around 5, he started taking medication in the form of a patch and a pill . Long story short patches didn’t work. He was on three separate pills at one point in time. Come to find out he has a genetic disorder that causes his issues. With every med he was on I did my research before starting it.

My 5 yr old soon to be 6 yr old is on medication for adhd…he gets really upset by not being able to express his thoughts or feelings because his brain moves too fast he cant get it out…meds have helps so.much with his behavior as well as him acting out because he can focus and express himself

1 Like

My 7 year old is medicated. I tried everything I could think of and medication was the last resort. The medication has helped tremendously and I’m glad I did it. I hate that he’s medicated but he isn’t struggling anymore and that’s all that matters to me

1 Like

My oldest son has severe ADHD. We tried all the natural ways to help him…before he saw a doctor.
Fidgets. Exercise. Diet change.
When he was diagnosed…
His attention rate was about 30 seconds only in the office. He was literally running into walls. He wouldn’t eat because he couldn’t sit still. Wed had several scary incidents of him running out in front of cars.
At that time he was in speech therapy.

He turns 8 next month. He started meds at 5. Within 3 months of starting meds he was able to graduate out of speech. He actually eats meals. Hes no longer running into walls. Hes excelling in school…to the point he’s testing age appropriate in every category.

I resent my parents for not putting me on medicine for my ADD when I was a kid. I struggled so bad through school and dropped out my senior year. Also this is all about personal choice. Your going to have people tell you to do it or don’t do it. Your the mom. You know what’s best for your child. Just research

1 Like

My six year old started medication this year & it has helped her sooooo much!!! She was getting in trouble every day & constantly frustrated!! She has shown significant improvement academically and behaviorally!! She is happier!! She has severe ADHD. Medication has literally made a world of difference for her!! She hardly gets into trouble now & is doing soooo much better!!

Yes I did. I had to. She was doing so bad and couldn’t read or write because she was under the table or getting in trouble. She decided in 8th grade that she did not want to take them anymore. We had a talk and she didn’t like how they made her feel so we decided to see if she’d do ok without them. She did not do ok without them but I did not out her back on, I changed her school. I put her in a charter school/home studies, she’s doing great now.

My son is 14 and has been in counseling and on medication since he was 5 for ADHD & ODD. It has made a world of difference, but you have to decide what’s best for your child

Hacvng a special needs son i can tell.you.tje only one you are hurting is your son we.would.all.love.to.say my son doesn’t need it but the longer you wait the more learning be loses and the first years are.the most important

Have you approached the school about an IEP?

We gave ours a glass of Pepsi before school. It calmed him down. Caffeine somehow relaxes them.

My daughter is 6 and was diagnosed about 6 months ago. Our original visit and area of concern was her lack of sleep and that is when her doctor diagnosed her. We were going to hold off on meds but feel we have reached the point of necessity. She is always super hyper and has a very hard time sleeping and resting and I feel it is because she is so up all day and her meds at night can’t bring her all the way down. When I told her doctor in the beginning about not wanting to Medicate she made a good point when she said that if your kid had diabetes or some other condition you would treat it and adhd is no different. So we go to see a doctor about our options in July.

It’s a choice that’s very personal to you guys. I think it’s always worth trying but know that it’s not a one size fits all thing and like all medications they will need adjustments for age weight or how it’s released into body . Once you find the right medication and your kid understands what he needs to do with his medication he could be unstoppable and that’s what you want. If you have weight or sleep problems than talk With your doctor before stopping. I’ve met adults with ADHD who wished they had had a parent help them find the right medication instead or nothing sooner. Good luck!

1 Like

I have two with adhd. One medicated one not. The one not both mom and dad are against it. My daughter is medicated. We have no notes, no issues at school. My bonus son not so much. He is in therapy for it bc that is the only thing both parents think he needs. There is a huge difference between the two. 11 and 8. It’s very closely monitored bc dad is paranoid. He thought it would turn her into a zombie. It hasn’t. It’s just made it to where she sits and works on homework/schoolwork. She is still her just slightly calmer. It’s your baby though if it doesn’t feel right don’t do it. You as a mom knows what is best. During summer vacation and weekends she is on nothing. Unless it’s something big that I absolutely can’t have her distracted or running crazy.

1 Like

So I literally just had this same exact situation but with my 7 year old (he turned 7 in April). Dad was against meds and all. I had the teacher do a three way call with me and my sons dad and explain things to him. The teacher wanted our son to do summer school and hold him back. My sons dad finally agreed to try meds. I wanted to avoid stimulant medication at all costs. I’m on strattera myself however my son can’t swallow capsules. So the pediatrician prescribed him methylphenidate 5mg tablets (they’re super super tiny!) today was day one of his meds and as much as I was stressing things… I’m really glad we did this. Our son was able to sit and do school work for 3 hours today and pay attention better. He didn’t seem different at all, he said he didn’t feel weird on it or anything. He was just able to sit better and pay attention better. It wears off pretty quickly too, and then they’re back to their normal hyperactive self after a few hours. My 7 yr old is 4’5” tall and 79lbs as of yesterday at his appt. he didn’t seem to have any issues with eating or anything today. It seems to be a good fit so far. I don’t regret it at all now after seeing the good change in our boy with no side effects. I chose to medicate because I myself have adhd and I remember hating school and feeling extremely stupid because I couldn’t pay attention and learn things like everyone else could. I didn’t want that for my kids (two of my kids so far have diagnosed ADHD, my other child starts her new meds on Monday because she was switched to methylphenidate yesterday also due to not being able to swallow the capsules of strattera). I’m honestly glad that we finally did this. I also had my aunt (also a nurse) point out that if my kids had difficulty seeing, I wouldn’t deny them glasses to help them see… so why should this be any different. And she is right. I’m on adhd meds as an adult and I know personally it helps me a ton when I take them (I can’t take them currently because I’m pregnant). We literally tried everything from giving them coffee to more exercise and gum while in class… literally NOTHING worked. Our two were falling more and more behind. Honestly, you need to sit down with your pediatrician, sons dad and sons teacher and have a big discussion like I did. It actually helped my sons dad see that our boy needed a little help so he could focus and succeed. Ask about concerta (name brand methylphenidate).

1 Like

There comes a time when you have to ask yourself if you are helping your child. If medication would help him be a better child; more focus, better behavior, then it’s beneficial to him to look into medications.

Get him the meds I hesitated to for my son but honestly it was the best choice Hebis able to focus and listen and his grades skyrocketed

I choose to give my daughter meds and it’s helped her so much it keeps her settled longer and she’s doesn’t disrupt the class nor does she have problems with focusing on the teachers, my husband was against it but me having a brother who’s the same way I thought it was best and it’s helped do what you think is right do a trail run to see if it helps most did will tell you to give them one day a week where they don’t have to take it. In the end it’s your call he’s your child. But having a little bit of help with meds and the Dr’s explaining it helps you understand why your child isn’t listening no matter how much you talk to him. I’ve been down that road in the bed meds worked best for my daughter

Yep my youngest takes stratera.

I’m sure my 7yr old has ADHD. But never would I give him medication. When we see the signs we step in and show him how to control it with distracting methods. He loves to build with lego. When he starts bouncing off the wall. Or he is fidgeting continuously we see it. Then ask him to grab his Lego and build what ever co.es to mind. We try to stimulate his hands so his feet stops going 100miles an hour. His kind then consentrates on building. Small pieces are great. Big pieces don’t seem to do the trick… I get him to cook with me. He goes the physical like adding all the ingredients an mixing so his mind and hands are stimulated… then again he might not be ADHD but he has all the signs.

1 Like

My 11 year old has and and has been on meds since he was about 5-6 years old. It has helped him out tremendously in school he was the same way had a difficult time concentrating on school and what not ever since the meds he has been so much better and the teachers can tell if he misses a dose I was against it at first to but in the long run I’m glad that I did. Also your docter may recommend like ours did to just give it to him monday-friday for help at school. We personally give it to him all 7 days but like other moms have said ultimately it’s your decision

My son was 6 when he was diagnosed with ADHD. We were also nervous about medication. We finally decided to go in and have a talk with his doctor when his impulses started to get dangerous( trying to breathe under water, getting his head stuck between our railing and it didn’t matter how many times we told him he can’t etc) And it’s been the best decision for him, he’s now thriving in school opposed to failing kindergarten. But I noticed an improvement in his over all mentality, he’s proud of himself and his accomplishments. It worked for us but every child is different and at the end of the day you know what’s best for your baby.

We did everything home wise school wise and counseling wise we could before we asked for medicated help. Our soon to be 7yo takes meds just for school to help him focus. It definitely helps

I just want to say, your son has an amazing teacher. You’re so lucky to have someone that has gone above and beyond with trying to handle him holistically before asking you to test/medicate him.

2 Likes

Do what you think is best and once you have him tested you can find out more of your options

your teacher sounds amazing

Don’t do it… love from a child of adhd who had meds shoved down her throat from school age :heart:

1 Like

I would not give him medication and it sounds like the teacher doesn’t want to do her job she gets paid for that and she can’t handle it they need to put them in a smaller structured class they have all kinds of things for hyper children they always try to tell you medicate them medicate them what happens when they turn a doubt and they can’t stop being medicated and then what’s next I think it’s just opening up doors for addiction don’t do it

1 Like

Discuss this with the Doctor. Medicine for ADHD is good for some kids but also remember that it’s medicine and children get addicted. When they go off the medicine as an adolescent them some people are looking for drugs because they are used to them. Doctor advice is needed

I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 5 years old and I started taking medication when I was 5 I am now 21 years old and I have learned to control my actions so I promise you it will get better at those younger ages they don’t know how to control there actions so just be patient with them because they don’t know how to handle there impulses. Just know that they will find the right medication it may take some time but it will get better.

I don’t think medication is the answer for any kid. But I also think that instead of his father condoning it, he should’ve been thought from a young age school behavior, and at home behavior. As of this point teach him coping mechanisms, teach him to doodle and listen instead of distract the class. Play with a puzzle and listen. Try putting an educational video on at home and start slow with him, see if he can listen and do easy mind games at the same time.

I was hesitant at first but I’m so glad he did. Hes doing much better in school. I don’t give it to him during the summer or on weekends. They’ll start him off on a low dosage and monitor him.

1 Like

I was an anti med mom of a boy with adhd. Until the constant redirection and focusing at school had an impact on his self confidence. He wasn’t making friends and he wasn’t happy with himself. We talked with out doctors and they have been very supportive. Within a week of starting meds, he had a completely different, positive experience.

4 Likes

My son was diagnosed at 4. He literally could not sit still long enough to eat a meal. He also is very impulsive, some of them dangerously. I medicated him for that reason, dangerous impulsivity. He is now 11 and is still medicated but I think he may be ready to come off of it in the next few years. As far as medication goes, you don’t have to choose a stimulant. There are non-stimulant medications as well. My son takes a stimulant for school days and a non stimulant for non school days.

1 Like

Try calcium, magnesium and zinc combo, over the counter. It was amazing for my son!

1 Like

I never medicated my son just enrolled him in sports, healthy diet, and magnesium at night to help sleep.

My son was diagnosed at 4.
We medicated.
I dont think we as parents should judge one another based on our children being medicated or not. That is a decision each individual family should make.
I wouldn’t have done anything any different. My son NEEDED medication to thrive and survive.
Medications do not take all the bad behaviors away. It is not a fix all. But we couldn’t have made it without.

My 16 year old has ADHD we never did medicate him. We stuck to a strict routine & punishments if need (consistent & routine with those as well). He now manages his ADHD really well without medication. Structure & consistency is key. Some kids do need medication though because the previously mentioned isn’t enough sometimes.

1 Like

You can get him omega 3 gummies vitamins and cut out sugars and the vitamins help brain function in adhd children. I am in the process of getting my son tested now and that the path I am taking first. I don’t want to medicate him if I don’t have too either

Please try therapy before medication.
I’m now an ADD adult, was an ADD/ADHD child. I was put on ritalin at 6 and I’ve been on stimulants since.
I wish so badly my mother had not went for the easy fix and tried therapy first. The medicine didnt teach me the coping skills I needed to be functional. By the time I hit high school, the medicine helped me focus in school but since I hadnt been taught any therapeutic discipline, organization, timelines and the importance of completing work for school my grades dropped significantly and I found school daunting cause I didnt know how to manage my time between necessary tasks and having fun.

At least do both, cause the medicine isnt gonna teach them the discipline to show up to class in college or finish their homework.

No, I would choose not to and then school isn’t designed to cater to any learning style other than read and regurgitate. Might be best to home school of possible and play to the child’s strengths and specific learning style. Lots of movement and fidgets should help, and a diet that processes well in the gut and blood to keep outbursts low and focus high. But that’s another road to travel later.

1 Like

My son has adhd and autism. I struggled for a long time with the decision whether to medicate or not. In the end, I made the decision that was best for him. Medication. And it took a long time to find what worked best for him. But it was worth it. He Finally felt like he could "fit in ". He started getting better grades, he made friends, and home behavior improved too. Do what you think is best for your child. Good luck!

I don’t have any advice but just want to say that teacher is amazing for trying different things to help your son instead of just punishing him for every little thing. I wish there were more teachers like that.

1 Like

I am a 1st-3rd grade school librarian so I see every class each week (27 total) and know all 490 of our students.
It sounds like his teacher is very caring and is trying all the tips/tricks she can to help him be successful!! Huge kudos to her!! As for medication, I suggest you have him evaluated. Just because he gets evaluated does not mean he gets medication shoved down his throat. It would give you something to start the conversation with his dad.
Also, I have a teacher friend who has a 5th grader who is the same way and his dad (they are divorced) is very against meds too. She has tried all she can over the counter, vitamins, and herbal remedies, but nothing is working. He is getting in trouble, cannot focus, and is not at all operating at his full potential.

I was diagnosed in 4th grade, and finding the right medicine for me was the best thing For me personally! It took a try or two to get it right but I’m so thankful my mom listened to my doctor and got me the medication I needed. I hope this helps :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Try Brillia! It works great. They have it for children and adults. It’s homeopathic and doesn’t require a prescription.

1 Like

Skip a grade… usually children who act up in class are bored. He doesn’t need meds, he needs to be challenged. That’s what did it for me

My 13 teen year old was on conserta and i personally think it did help him out alot the reason why i took my kid off of it is bc my childs doctor was on vacation and i couldn’t get a refill and my son was having aches and pains all throughout his body and couldnt get off tbe couch for almost a week (it was withdraws from the medication) we never refilled his medication after that and he hasnt been on it since. He was about 8 at the time

1 Like

I was very against medication, but tried it! The Dr and I decided to try it for 2 weeks. After the 1st day of school his teacher wanted to see me when I picked him up. She told me that he was night and day different! And he took meds until high school when he chose to just do without! He struggled but was able to graduate on time! He also wrestled with his high school team and relieved a " coaches award" his senior year! He went on to become a talented chef! I don’t think he would have made it without medication! His youngest brother we did not medicate and he struggled until he finally dropped out! I wish I would have put him on medication also! If I had to do it again! I would have medicated him! I feel like it wasn’t fair to him to not get everything he needed to suceed!

I firmly believe had i been diagnosed and medicated at that age my school experience and grades would have been better.

2 Likes

So for my Autistic/ADHD child meds have helped tremendously, as for my other child who has just ADHD I’ve switched to homeschooling so I could see if it was an issue with learning as well. I also got him evaluated once I seen he wasn’t understanding the material. My kiddo needs extra help, homeschooling has provided that since he has 1:1 attention/someone to break things down further so he doesn’t need medication.

I have a masters in learning disabilities. I tried other methods, but the medication was the only thing that worked sending him to school without his meds was like sending him to school without his glasses

2 Likes

Yes and best decision for my child and family.
There are some good FB pages where you can get better feedback on this

My 6yr old is Adhd and I am ADD. She is on medication as well as I was because other methods weren’t working. She is on a low dose medication and it is doing wonders for her.

1 Like

My son takes Focalin twice daily at 7am and 12pm. He also has an auditory processing disorder, but his tests and relationships with friends and teacher speak for themselves. He’s done a complete 180. I don’t always medicate when he’s not in school.

Our daughter who only got A’s & B’s started getting C’s & D’s in 3rd grade. We had a sit down with all of her teachers at once and discussed the problem. They said she would be supposed to be doing silent work in class on her own, but would be too distracted watching out the window or watching what the teachers were doing to concentrate. We sat her down and told her what the teachers said to us, and asked her if she was aware of it. She said she was. We asked her if it was something she could help doing, and she said she couldn’t. She had no control over it. We spoke with her doctor, got her lined out on meds after adjusting doses and now she’s back to all A’s & B’s. She is the one now who let’s us know when her meds need adjusting because she can’t concentrate. Sometimes they can’t control it, and it isn’t their fault, and they do need help.

I wasn’t sure on medication either. But we have tried it. His dad went mad and told my son it was bad for him but my son has noticed the difference and asks to take it. Which was a shock as he doesn’t try new things and also everything his dad says goes.

I did & it 100% helped my daughter. She does well in school. She is bouncing off the walls without it.

Parents who find the right medication that works for their kids are helping them in the long run. They get a handle on their ADHD and tbh it sounds like this teacher is going above and beyond trying to make every other option work. Get him tested and give the meds a try. At least for while he’s at school. He doesn’t need to be medicated 24/7. But it really sounds like everyone involved is suffering if nothing gets done. Your son, the teacher and the other kids in the class.

You are doing a big disservice by not medicating him. He is not learning like he should, he’s too distracted.

1 Like

He is exactly like my 7 year old! If you find a behavioral health place near you definitely reccomend checking it out because they have all the staff you need. Behavioral therapists and psychiatrists at your disposal. My daughter’s psychiatrist is amazing and has not only helped her but she also has given me advice to be a better mom. She is on a low dose of Adderall that is just enough to help her focus but doesn’t make her a zombie. Also highly reccomend asking the school to test him for an IEP.

We cut all dairy and red dye out of my granddaughters diet and it helped alot

My son is now 20 and I said no to Ritalin but yes to melatonin, was the best decision for us but he has had nothing for the past 4 years and he struggles to hold down a job but manages xxx

My daughter refused at 12 when she was diagnosed. She was in 6th grade. I wasn’t about to force it. Fast forward to 10th grade and her anxiety levels are off the charts in school. Why? She explained that she couldn’t focus so she was afraid she’d be called on.
With the anxiety has come depression. She is incredibly intelligent but the thought of school is so overwhelming, she has refused school.
In September 2020 she finally agreed to start meds. The Adderall works great. Very low dose taken at breakfast. She only takes it on school days or when she NEEDS to focus.
I feel like I should have pushed harder at 12 for her to give meds a try. The meds are SO DIFFERENT than they were in the 90s. Kids aren’t comatose, the meds simply help shut out the noise.

1 Like

My 6 year old has ADHD. She was just diagnosed and this sounds exactly like her. I don’t want to try mind altering medication at this time either unless it becomes necessary. I have been taking a more natural approach by using fish oil supplements, and magnesium, limiting screen time, making sure she gets enough sleep and changing her diet to include less sugar and red dye 40. It does help a bit but it won’t be a drastic change. Also, ADHD kids do better with positive reinforcement rather than negative consequences. So something like “if we finish this assignment in 10 minutes we can have a movement break” would work better than a consequence “taking blocks away” for being distracted.

1 Like

My son was the exact same way. I had him tested and he has ADHD and ODD. His dad was against medication but because I deal with him 99% of the time, I put him on it anyway. His behavior changed almost immediately. The only downside I’ve seen in my son is the loss of appetite. He eats breakfast, doesn’t eat lunch at school bc of the medicine and eats everything in the house once he gets home. He also sees a counselor once a week that helps him deal with it. He’s a completely different little boy on the medication and it probably kept him from getting suspended from school a few times

1 Like

My nine year old is on medication and it has really helped him alot

My daughter has adhd and i was against it for a long time i just put her a non narcotic med and honestly best decision ive made shes doing better in school and all around in a better mood at happier! I also tried alotta different things before meds to help and nothing did.

Yes my one son is still on medicine he got ADHD

From personal experience I think its amazing all the things his teachers are doing. When I was his age I was in detention all the time for being disruptive. No one ever try to help me or figure out what was going on. In grade 10, my parents finally got me tested for ADHD and I was put on Vyvanse. It truly helped me do better in school. I was behind in school until I was put of meds and they helped me so much. I only took treatment for approx 2 years. Keep in mind that ADHD is a neurological disorder, meaning there’s a chemical imbalance in the brain(that’s what the meds are for) once my imbalance was controlled I was able to get off meds(also took OT and other therapies to help with the psychological problems that arise from the physiological challenges(not being able to stay still and being scolded all the time). Its definitely something to look into.
First you can try with an OT and follow a schedule for him. If that doesn’t help on it’s own, I would consider meds

2 Likes

In 2001 my son was In Kindergarten they pushed hard for meds. I listen and it made my baby a ZOMBIE. I didn’t try again until he was entering 6th grade. It helped in school but cause serious depression and anxiety at home (coming down off meds). We tried a few different meds and when I thought he should stop he flipped out and acted like a drug addict who couldn’t live without his fix. HS he was off and on and at 19 he stopped on his own. At 20 he told me it was a very addictive drug and he felt it. It made him want other drugs when he couldn’t have his meds. He felt it suppressed his creativity. He will never take them again and would not recommend.

This was just one child’s experience not all are the same.
I hope you find the right path for you and your child!!

We medicate our boys. I was against it for awhile. But decided once it effected theirs and others education we would medicate.
We always try under medicating and teaching self control.
Also, what you need to keep in mind is all of the times he is struggling its interfering with not only his education but the other kids education in the class room.

3 Likes

My son is 29 years old has been on ADHD meds since 2nd grade! No side effects. How would you like to go through life feeling anxious, missing out on what others are learning, not being able to concentrate, feeling inadequate??? Because when children aren’t medicated this is what happens!!!

3 Likes

My nephew has adhd and his mom bought him a exercise ball that attaches to the seat,he seems to have better days with that and his fidget toys. It wouldn’t hurt to have him tested, my daughter was tested and she has IEP now

My son who’s nine has adhd. I had to medicate. He’s a good kid but when it comes to school work wow. A fight is put up let’s just say. Harder when he’s home schooled cause of Covid. Also because of the medication he doesn’t sleep at night, so he has to have melatonin.

My daughter at age 9 was diagnosed with anxiety first. We got that under control with therapy and light medication at bedtime so she could sleep. Then, ADHD came through. She was so disruptive in class that she was failing and the teachers simply couldn’t teach because of her outbursts. 2 of her teachers had ADHD/ADD so they understood her issues. We had to try something because my daughter hated herself. We went through several different medicines and combinations of meds to find something that would allow her to learn in the classroom but still be herself. We did the genetic testing that helped with medicine choices.

But, when she started going through puberty, we had to change everything again. She had stopped eating and kinda became a zombie. So, we stopped all meds and let her body rest. Then, COVID struck and she has been a virtual student for the entire school year. But it is the first time she has made the A and B honor roll all year. Without meds. But I was able to keep the distractions minimal. I also helped to keep her focused, on track and organized. She simply could not do that in a classroom setting, even with meds. She has such a low tolerance level for the meds that it is hard to find a level that works on her symptoms but doesn’t have negative side affects.

I shared all that to say this. Sometimes meds are needed because the kid can think they arecstupid, bad or evil because they cannot control their behaviors. It is also an ongoing process with meds, therapy, and environment changes to find the right balance that works for that child. I wish you all the luck finding your child’s balance and big hugs from a mom who understands your struggle.

1 Like

My 11 yr old is adhd and it was the same way with him but I actually went and got his eyes checked and that helped out a lot found out that he was somewhat blind :flushed: but I refused to give him medicine instead I gave him a mountain dew kick start not the whole thing but 1/2 of it and it actually lasted him until about 130 to 230 in the afternoon for school just so that he could focus. Then I looked more into it and then started to take our red food dye and took out peanut butter and switch to Nutella. I don’t give him red food dye while going to school as it does trigger it.

I did No red dye. And gave caffeine to help with focus.

2 Likes

For the love of God, get your child evaluated and if they suggest medication, please do it. Spare him the struggling

2 Likes