Did you choose to medicate your child with ADHD?

Every mother who decided to medicate their child - kudos to all of you! There is NOTHING wrong with medicating your child, as long as you find the right medication that works best for your child! I had my son tested between 3-4 years old, and he has ADHD and ODD and developed PTSD a little later in life. (Due to a very abusive father) I had a lot of help with finding the right medication for my son, and yes it took time. First and foremost - STAY STRONG! So many mothers are hesitant to begin with, and when they feel nothing is working, or other people put them down - these mothers give up entirely too soon and easily! Take the time to work with the people who are educated for this, they will help the most! Do your research. Watch your child diligently with each medication, till you find the right one. Not every medication will be perfect, and therefore it will be up to you to tell the psychiatrist the different behavioral issues or changes your child has.

As for your child’s father, it seems to me that the way you mention him, you aren’t with the father anymore. Whoever has legal custody of the child, whomever the child lives with, is the parent who makes that decision. Even if you were still married, you can make that choice on your own. If the father is adamant about refusing medication, you need to think to yourself, which is more important, your child or the opinion of someone that is in denial?

My son was just the way you describe your child. The teachers pretty much did the same techniques only to fail to get him to focus. If I were you, I go to your child’s school, and ask for an IEP, which will be super beneficial for your child. Section 504 is also important to ask about. I cant give you exact definitions of each I mentioned above, but know that they are highly important to talk to your school about. You can get so much help that way. And by help, I mean that your child can get more one on one instructional help, be in a special class setting that helps them, testing times with help etc. Also, they can provide special transportation, such as vans instead of school busses, if your child is also having behavioral issues there as well. There are so many things to learn and get help for with ADHD or any form of behavioral/mental issues.

Don’t give in to other’s opinions. Only you can make the final decisions and I know just by reading your post, you’ll choose your child’s life over anything. Keep up the great work. You got this!

(PS: my son is now 16 years old and has been off medication for over a year now. I allowed him to make that choice for himself, and he wanted to see if it would change his behavior. They do say ADHD could go away when teenage boys hit puberty. Not always, but in my son’s case, it worked. He’s doing so well in school and everyday life. I can’t make your decision, but I can highly recommend it. You are the mother, and therefore you can make the right choice without anyone else’s help.)

Good luck and if you need more info, don’t hesitate to contact me! Always willing to help a mother or father of an ADHD/ODD/PTSD kid!

3 Likes

My husband was against putting our son on meds for ADD but when we finally did and he was able to concentrate at school (we never give it to him any time but during the school day) his grades have improved, his social skills have gotten better and he’s made more improvements on state tests. You should truly consider it. Tell your husband you want to do a trial run on the meds and see if he’ll agree to that.

My oldest son ,12, has ADHD with ODD (oppositional defiance disorder). I chose to first try behavioral therapy because he was so young, which did help quite a bit with some of his behaviors. After about 6 months to a year, we started trying different meds until we found which one worked for him (adderall XR), I only have him take it on school days and he has been on the same low dose since starting his medication at age 6. When he is on his medication, it’s like night and day, he listens, is less impulsive and is able to stay on task.

My then-husband was adamant about not drugging our son, though he (and subsequently I) was diagnosed with ADHD, and he also had ODD. But at one point we tried Strattera, the only non-stimulant med at the time. I had the perfect son I always wanted! He was calm, polite, helpful and WAY less argumentative. We had a child counselor for him who was excellent, and family therapists, which helped us all get along & deal better.

But our son was adamant he had 0 wrong and said the meds made him slower and foggier. He was always whip-smart, and very creative. His dad made a deal that if he kept his grades up, he wouldn’t have to take it, and he rose to the challenge, stopped the meds.

He graduated high school with great grades & AP Math, went to the U of SC for a degree in chemical engineering with a specialty in alternative fuels. He joined ROTC and went into the Navy. The structure suits him, though he’d like to change a lot of the rules! Thankfully he has learned to argue more tactfully!

Both he and I were saved by being very active. I participated in every sport (mostly dance & drill team), club, organization, and church activity I could—the less time between things, the better I was, as I had no time to unfocus and get off track.

We tried to give our son as much physical activity as possible growing up, sometimes just sending him outside to run up and down the sidewalk, soccer, dance classes, scouting, trips to museums, amusement parks, hiking, playgrounds, etc.

In high school he did football (like a 40-hour a week job in summer & fall :confused:), then baseball, Boy Scouts (he’s an Eagle), church activities (acolyte, Sunday School, Youth Group, Mission trips). That helped.

If the school allows it, stress ball, fidget spinners, and opportunities to move (erase the board, pass out/collect papers, etc.) can help. Karate also helped for a couple years in elementary school (focus, respect, impulse control) until he got bored with it.

Where I live in the DC area schoolwork can be intense. We’d take turns keeping him focused on homework in elementary school while he complained for hours. We’d take breaks to take walks so we wouldn’t explode. His teachers challenged him to channel his energy into academic and other pursuits, but he was always getting his pencils taken away for playing with them.

He had a great after school program in middle school where he got some work done & could blow off steam with activities. He buckled down in high school & both our kids always had so much work & studying there was no time to drift off into the ozone.

Daughter did not have ADHD, but she was very active nonetheless. Today my son is in the service, has a girlfriend (potential fiancée), owns a condo and is a military officer. He can still be annoying as heck & argue with anyone for hours, but is a productive citizen with many life-long friends. During COVID he hyper focused on video games during down time (the one thing that could keep him quietly occupied from the time he was a toddler was time in front of a screen); before he used to run daily & swim often.

Work with his teachers & school resource folks, get an IEP, keep him in motion, challenge him often. He’s probably extra creative and smart, will make a great leader, be the life of the party, be able to converse (and possibly BS :joy:) on any topic, and accomplish a ton (the upsides). At least we recognize ADHD and have strategies to deal with it. I just had to figure stuff out on my own. Good luck!

1 Like

I was medicated as a young child and it ruined me as an adult. But to each their own i guess. Out of sight out of mind right…

2 Likes

My son was 7 when he got tested and we did meds for a while but he out grew it

I don’t get these teachers he’s a young little boy with a lot of energy he will calm down . No to the drug.

1 Like

My son was diagnosed ADHD and they wanted to put him on Ritalin (unfortunately everyone is to quick to pump our kids with chemicals) . I was not happy with that so I put him on Bio Strath and Omega 3. I changed his diet (no processed foods at all) and when I spoke to him, I would go on my knees so I was his level, and tell him to look at my mouth when I spoke. I also sent him to karate and all this helped him concentrate. It took awhile but in the end it was so worth it. This happened in grade 3, he went on to become prefect, 2nd in his grade in grade 7 and in high school he was Snr prefect won the Alturistic award in grade 11 and the Art award in grade 12. He starts his apprenticeship as a Millright beginning of June. I hope this helps you and sending lots of love to you and your son.

1 Like

I held off on medicating my son. He has Aspergers and epilepsy and I didn’t want to accept he had ADHD. I agreed to Concerta and my son started doing so good in school, was even on the honor roll. There are a lot of things that I still feel guilt for not deciding to act sooner and this is a big one. Good luck

So I did, we tried different types before landing on Vyvanse which is a few hundred per pick up for script of 30days. He was struggling and the teacher had to fill out info stating what they see as well and they confirmed he had ADHD. The nice part is kids can grow out of it and that’s what ended up happening for us. I would have him on it during school year and during summer breaks we would take him off to see if he still needed it or not. It took a few years of doing this but it was the best thing for him and helped him in the long run especially with school. And btw the biggest thing they talked about when starting it was how most men and dads are against medication for it. Mine was as well and it was hard at times but we got thru it and hopefully you do too

2 Likes

Two different kids both took years to finally say (9 years from first to second) if medication helps, why wouldn’t we use it. One child was a freshman, he looked me in the eye and said, “Mom, I don’t WANT to act this way, can we try medication.”
He tried medication and it worked great for him.
My other child, we tried different meds and different doses and it made no difference, so she is not medicated.

I started my daughter on medication when she was just shy of 8. We had a tried everything and she was struggling. She was falling behind in school because she couldn’t pay attention and was also struggling in all activities. The medication just improved her attention span, it hasnt changed her personality at all. She is still my spunky independent girl just is able to be her best self now.

10 Likes

I had my son tested and he has inattentive adhd. Meaning he cannot drown out background noise to focus on one thing at a time. The offered him meds to help with concentration. I discussed it with him. The pros and cons and what the medications could help with. He chose to take it knowing if he didn’t like it we would look into other options. He took it until graduation and then stopped.

My son is diagnosed ADHD. I didn’t want to encourage the thought of medication but as an educator I know what an unmedicated ADHD child can do to the dynamic of the class. It was 6 months between the time of testing and many doctor conversations, before we decided to try one. Keep in mind, at that age this is something they cannot control. It is a function of their brain and the chemical interactions in their brain. It takes so much concentration and self-discipline to be aware of and control it. This takes concentration away from learning the academics. My son started medication at 6 and we are working with him on skills to be aware of and control as he gains maturity. Hopefully he will eventually be able to go off it. He is on a medication that has a quick effect so we can take him off on weekends and breaks and it doesn’t require the days to take full effect. Also, since being on it his reading level has gone from early grade level to a year above grade level simply because he can sit a read a whole book.

3 Likes

I think first get him tested and then gofrom there. There are alternatives like behavioral therapy to learn coping strategies but it doesn’t work for everyone.

2 Likes

My son was thrilled after he started the medication at 8. He came home the first day and said “mom, no one yelled at me all day!”. His teachers helped also- the had special worksheets that he could grab so he always had something to do. I hope your husband changes his mind. There is nothing your son can do about it, and the isolation from other kids not wanting to play and getting fussed at all the time is devasting.

2 Likes

My now almost 15 year old was diagnosed at the end of his kindergarten year with ADHD. He was medicated. We had him on Straterra 5mg tablets to start with and had it increased as needed. I was against meds at first as well. But chose to help him how he needed. We had tried everything before the meds and nothing was working. Straterra is non habit forming, and not harsh like Retalin or other meds used to treat ADHD. He was on meds until 6th grade then we took him off to see how he did without them. As he has gotten older he has figured out what works and doesn’t work to keep him seated and attentive. If you want to talk more about it you can pm me anytime.

There is nothing wrong with giving your child medication to help them. Kids with ADHD often struggle in school and suffer because of it. Medication doesn’t change who your child is or their personality, if it is changing that much then it’s probably not the right dose or not the right medication. It can sometimes take a few trys to find the right meds and right dosing to be helpful.

4 Likes

It’s a medical condition that requires medication. If they are old enough, why wouldn’t you find a medication to help them?

6 Likes

getting check would be a good place to start ,to make Sure what you are dealing with & go from there . Instead of thinking what it is . Knowing is a better way to know how to handle what is going on & COULD be better for your son know & later in his life …

1 Like

I did not medicate my son. My son was a significant distraction to other students in class but was learning and able to do his work so I chose not to. They also gave my son an exercise ball and fidgets and a timer to lessen the amount of distraction he caused for other students. It helped, he still got in trouble sometimes but not as often. My friends child (at about 7-8years)couldn’t focus and struggled to be able to do his work he was also a distraction to others they tried several different things to help him before resorting to medication. The struggle got worse for a little while because it took some time to find the proper meds that would help him focus and not turn him into a zombie child. They went through several medications and dosages before they found what helped. He still has difficulties but his grades improved and he didn’t get into trouble or fights as much. I think it all depends what your specific child needs and what you think is best for him.

I was against medicating my son for the longest. It wasn’t until his 5th grade year after struggling so bad and failing the Starr test for math they weren’t going to pass him. The principal loves my son so she had him test again and he was able to pass. After the hardest school year I finally gave in and it has been the best decision. His grades have improved tremendously and is in all AP classes

My 20 year old has been on medication since she was 5 1/2. She had the exact same issues you describe when she was in kindergarten. Because of it she repeated kindergarten and did her second year while on medication and it was a much more successful year. She is so much different and better to talk to and deal with while on her medication. I couldn’t imagine how things would have gone for her had she not been on her medication. I strongly recommend it not only for your child’s education and life experience but also yours.

If he was diabetic would you deny him insulin? We have stop the judgement and start doing what is best for kids as the individuals they are.
We are still establishing the right dosage. I haven’t noticed much improvement, but my son said it is so much easier to pay attention in class.

2 Likes

I have two sons one with ADHD and one with ADD. My younger one struggled with every aspect of his life, he was extremely impulsive couldn’t sit still, struggled in school etc. We medicated him and it was an absolute godsend. He still struggled but it was a lot easier and he even mentioned that he felt better when he was on his medication. My older son we tried medication with him and it made him have headaches and stomach issues so it didn’t work for him but you won’t know until you try.

Here is how I look at it. If my son had an ear infection I would give him an antibiotic. If he needed surgery to fix something I would do it. If he broke his arm we would see the dr and get a cast and do what was necessary. Mental health should be no different we medicate our son and he feels better. The things you were describing are my son almost exactly.

I am a Special Education teacher. I was called in to teach a class of students. Several of them had ADHD. I recognized myself in their behaviors. I went to a psychiatrist who prescribed medication. I took it for several years.

I started a fruit and vegetable food called Juice Plus. After a while, I weaned myself off the medicine to see what effect the Juice Plus would have by itself. I was more focused and less hyperactivity . I have seen that improvement in my students as well.

Juice Plus is simply fruits and vegetables. It is worth a try. Find a representative or I will be glad to help you get some.
[email protected]

2 Likes

Psych nurse here - get him tested by a psychologist, have him work with different therapies. It could just be trying to find the right trick. The hard thing is with meds is it seemed to me once they start, they build up then need to try a new one and so on, and medications alone have their own side effects. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

My boys both have adhd we got a wrap around basically its a person that is with your child to help focus in school you should check with your area to see if there is any services to help your child. If your low income it will be free. It’s worth a try.

My son also struggled with ADHD His teacher tried all the same things your teachers have tried including a stand up desk. It was a hard decision to make but after talking to my son and him telling me I’m trying to be good I just can’t I decided to get him tested. We tried several different medicines the best one I found was Daytrona it’s a patch. The difference was amazing totally different kid.
The patch is put on in the morning and taken off when they get home (done with homework)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I think medication can be beneficial to a lot of children with ADHD especially when done in combination with other things like a healthy diet free of preservatives and dyes, plenty of physical activity (if they’re able to), and self-regulating techniques (for when they’re older).

I was against it but started my son on meds when he was 7 after several doctors diagnosed him and lengthy conversation. He went to basically being told he could be held back to when he was in 6th grade he received an award for testing in the top 3% of the nation for his reading comprehension. Best decision I ever made. He has thrived academically and just in everyday life.

I think getting tested doesn’t necessarily mean you guys have to decide to medicate. But having all the facts will help you make an informed decision both parents can live with. It sounds like the teacher has done everything she can to help your child succeed. Maybe have dad spend a day with the child at school? As a former teacher, sometimes having the parents see things first hand can be very eye opening. Sending warm wishes. Sounds like you’re doing a great job mom.

2 Likes

We haven’t medicated yet. We found great success with PCIT therapy and using visual charts to remind him of what he is supposed to be doing. I will say, positive reinforcement works better than punishment. We have a sticker chart. For every subject where he does well that day he gets a sticker. If he gets all stickers at the end of the day, he gets 50 coins on his tablet. That has worked really well for us. Most of the time he gets all stickers now.

1 Like

My daughter was ADHD, and now my 7 year old granddaughter is the same. Medication has changed so much through the years. There is no longer the fear of them being Zombies! If you have a good pediatrician that specializes in ADHD, they will work with you to determine the correct dosage. It is all individualized. What works for some, will not for others. If you want a happy, well adjusted child…give them the drugs!!! Otherwise, better get yourself some good ones cause they are going to drive you crazy!!!

I have to say your son has a great teacher. She went above and beyond what many teachers would of done for him. Medication really helped my grandson and his Mom wished she would of gotten him on it sooner. He has really done well in school and had all A’s this past semester. Good luck and remember kids all learn at their own pace Good luck :four_leaf_clover::pray::revolving_hearts:

I would try behavioral therapy first, let him learn how to cope with his mind and they will teach him ways to focus as him brain develops. I think putting a child on meds can affect the way their brain develops and hamper learning skills needed to function and cope. It could set him up for a lifetime of medicationd dependency

We avoided meds for years but eventually put our son on them and he has done SO well. He actually likes taking them and sees a difference in himself.

Two of my 3 sons have ADHD, both are medicated. My view is simple, this is a medical condition. I wouldn’t deny them available medical treatment for any other medical condition, why would I deny treatment for ADHD?

Let his Dr help you make that decision. Meds really helps them sit still and able to focus. Meds helps your child as well as those around him who lose patience with him. And the Dr will monitor his progress. Regularly.

May I suggest an IEP for him. They bring you & your husband, principal, psychologist, and special ed teacher & his present teacher in for a meeting & you all discuss the problems he is having in the class he is in now. You are given suggestions & ideas how best to help your son. These are only suggestions but the meeting would be very beneficial to you & your son.

I started my son on medication when he was 7…Adderall time released.
He also went to counseling. I want to say as a former teacher you do see many abuses of using medication and i fought it…thought he would grow out of it but he didnt. He took it for 10 years…helped him graduate HS and now he just got accepted into the fire academy!
His plans were not my plans for him but he is successful and happy. So surround ypurself with knowledge,know your child…

If your child had a thyroid deficiency, or diabetes wouldn’t you medicate? ADHD is a chemical imbalance that needs medication and the difference can be night and day for some children. It’s only right to get a proper diagnosis as you would for any other medical condition and then treat it for the benefit of your child!

I am looking into medication honestly, another thing that may help ur kiddo is to look into a plan once he’s tested an iep if I remember right. A smaller class size helped my 5 year old too. We plan on looking into Intuniv next year tho

My son was awful when he was little. The meds made him out of it and he hated it. We went to counseling and it helped me learn how to help with his impulses. We found if we kept his mind active it wasn’t as bad.

We tried everything with my middle daughter we could think of. She wasn’t really having behavioral issues but could not focus and would get in trouble for playing or day dreaming during school. After trying diet changes, fidgets, moving her around the class room, sending her out to extra resources classes so there was less distraction we done medication. She remembers to take her self now it’s a night and day difference when she has it. I would 1000% do it all over again and I don’t care for medicine. I would rather give a medicine that helps than watch my child struggle. She says it’s like someone changing the tv channel really fast in her head when she can’t focus. We use vvanyse which is what our pediatrician had her own child on.

I’m a retired teacher, and medication can make a tremendous difference for some children. Why don’t you try it? You don’t have to continue it if you don’t want to. But if you do try it, you have to give it a chance and follow the dosing if you want to see a difference. Sometimes children with ADHD have trouble maintaining friendships, and that is very sad.

Get him tested my daughter was started on a low dose medication in the third grade and helped her immensely

My daughter was just diagnosed at 12 with it and the evaluating doctor and then he pediatrician after reading the report highly suggested we go right to medication because she’s also showing high anxiety due to school so they’re hoping the medicine will be a two fold. Just talk to his pediatrician and see what she sees fit they might suggest OT my sister went that route with her son but in the end medication was the best way

I once was against medication but someone said to me you would be hurting him more by not giving it to him.

I started with changing all his food and snacks. Dr.ONeil Didn’t like just putting him on meds without trying to change his in take of everything.
I no alot of people don’t like buying sugar free . Jello pudding real apples. Your doctor should have a book for you that will help and playing out side to get some of the energy out of him riding a bike together.
If both parents are not around alot they get a build up of anger and they don’t no how to release it properly. So I wish you all the luck in your path stay strong. Alot of fruits have alot of sugar too.

Yes I believe in medicine. When my child was just three years old he did all the above things and the medicine kept him Calm Until he came home from school.

My 9 year old granddaughter has been taking Vyvance since she was 7 and it is great. Helps her focus at school and homework and we don’t give it to her on the weekends and she does great. I did not medicate my son and he struggled to graduate high school.

I’m ADHD. I think it’s imperative for the meds when they’re young. I’m unsure about the fidgety toys.

Medication isn’t the only option. Therapies can be very helpful, too. Could you talk to his dad and see how he would feel about trying behavioral therapy and then escalating to medications if that doesn’t work?

I had two adhd kids. One boy one girl. They are adults now. The girl said she wishes she still had her meds still very easily distracted. The boy all though he passed away at 32 was a whole different ball game. He would pretend to take his meds and then hide them under the furniture. I would give him a cup of tea or coffee in the morning (same stimulant principal) and that seemed to help without the “fog”

1 Like

My advise to parents of kids with ADHD is to ask adults with ADHD what their experiences were like growing up. We have a unique insight on kids with ADHD because we used to be them.

My daughter has ADHD. Got her diagnosed at age 8. Ex was not on board with getting her help (he has not been diagnosed but has all the signs and behavior of ADD/ADHD). Got her out in Intuniv (non-stimulant). It helped her greatly for years. He took it upon himself to take her off it over the summer he has her. She absolutely was a mess! She finally spoke up and said she needs help with it. She persisted and he finally agreed to let her stay on medication (I couldn’t give it to her and him take her off it when he has her. That would have been horrible). She is now 18 and takes her meds and knows when she is having an “extra” moment or day, she drinks a caffeine drink. It’s an old school method to treat it but it helps her immensely. Other than those times she is not a big caffeine drinker. Hope your little man gets some help and relief. I can wreak havoc on them. Prayers.

The school system sucks for kids with ADHD. They are getting better though. If possible you should seek out alternative schooling that is more kinetic based. Kids with ADHD don’t learn the same way others do and a smaller class with more activity based learning would benefit him greatly.

Straight old school, whoop that ass.
I know, before anyone says OMG how could she say such a thing…
but think about it. Back in the day, they didn’t have all these medications available and they figured it out. I have a step son who is on meds at his moms house and not when he’s with us. He still acts up at his moms house, stealing, being hurtful to his younger brothers, taking food and getting on electronics in the middle of the night. Wets the bed and all at almost 10. We have him 50/50 and he shows none of that behavior here. He knows we won’t stand for it. He hasn’t wet the bed in almost 3 years, he goes to bed when told, ears what’s put on his plate and respects his step sisters who live in our home. Honestly, it sounds like the teacher is going above and beyond to help your child, and I assume her job is hard enough without the extra distractions. I applaud her, whoever she is, seriously.
I was raised by 2 military parents myself, taught respect and a child’s place at an early age. My kids in turn, have been commended multiple times on their respect and behavior in public and at family gatherings. But back to basics, if they could do it back then without the meds, and your husband and yourself are against them, try a good ole spanking, especially if it’s never been done before, straight shock and awe.
(((I do not by any means mean to beat your children, there’s nothing wrong with a swat on the ass)))

1 Like

Don’t allow your child to be “that kid” that the teachers hate and the other students are annoyed by. He will literally have no friends and no allies. Medications do have their purpose and if they stop your child from struggling you should at least look into them.

I was so against meds for my son. His 4th grade year a really good friend of mine was his teacher and I asked her for help. Give him the first 1/4 of school and tell me what she thought. 2 weeks in she said you gotta get him help. I was so upset until she simply said “it’s just medicine, if it doesn’t work or has odd effects then he stops taking it, but what if it actually helps?” His first day on it he told us he couldn’t believe how much different his day was.

I have a daughter with ADHD and I medicated. It made all the difference. She was able to stay calm and concentrate. If you get the right doctor and the right medication it will be beneficial. Ask a lot of queation and do as the doctor recommends. I promise you you will see a difference in your child for the good.

My son started concerta for his ADHD and ODD when he was 6. Kindergarten was a nightmare… he was suspended twice and fast headed to an “alternative school”. Since starting meds, he is doing PHENOMENAL and is praised every day! And he is now off his IEP… at the beginning, he had so many intensive interventions, I almost can’t believe how far we’ve come in 3 years. Meds literally saved us all!!

I have ADHD. I was not medicated until last year, despite being diagnosed ADD as a kid. I almost flunked out of school, despite being fairly bright. I did impulsive and risky things as a teenager, and was so depressed and anxious I attempted to kill myself.
I was called lazy, told I wasn’t living up to my potential, that if I just would apply myself, I would be fine. I wasn’t incapable of doing the work, but I wasn’t lazy either. ADHD is not fun to live with.

When I did start medication this year, for the first time in my entire life my brain was just quet. I didn’t have to obsess over the steps to get things done, I could just do them. It isn’t just hyperactive child disorder, it impacts literally every facet of your life, and you don’t grow out it, you develop coping mechanisms and learn to adapt, but its a mammoth effort, and the burnout and depression of not being able to keep up, despite using up all of your mental effort is an awful feeling.

My advice would be, get him tested, get opinions from professionals, and let him try medication if he wants to. It can be difficult going through med trials, I’ve done them twice with my son, and now we are on a good mix, and we take frequent medication breaks.

I worry about it since most ADHD meds are amphetamines and I worry about the effect of them on a developing brain and personality. Definitely a hard choice to make.

I would say if your child had an ear infectuon would you try the antibiotic or just ride it out? You cannalways stop the meds if you see they aren’t helping. I myself was against the meds but our 3rd son was strughling horribly and our eldest grandson as well…they seemed to help and now the grandson 15 now no longer needs them. Our son however still has trouble focusing ao he takes them and he is soon to be 26.

I didn’t want to medicate my son at first either! I didn’t want him on drugs and deciding whether we were medicating bad behavior or a disorder weighed on my mind. I did finally give in at the end of his kindergarten year (the first time he had to repeat it he was so far behind). He has now been on medication roughly 4 years and has excelled, when he misses a dose I can surely tell His appetite is poor now and he lost weight in the beginning as the medication suppresses their appetite. But he can focus better he can read better he can sit still longer but he still plays and acts like a typical boy! The first week of him on the medication was rough because he was extremely tired but he tolerates it fine now! I don’t regret putting him on the medication at all. And he knows he needs it he asked for me to trial him off it once because he hated taking it and by day 3 he was telling me he needed his medication because he felt out of control and he wasn’t sleeping as well because he couldn’t shut his brain off

1 Like

My son has been diagnosed since he was 5 with adhd and he started the meds RIGHT away. He was on vyvance for years until he couldn’t take it anymore due to the strength. So we switched to adderrall now and he is still doing amazing. He now 16 and has finally learned how to act mostly but still needs the meds to stop being basically a dick haha. Therapy DID NOT work for him, ever even after multiple therapists and different types of therapy. The only side effect of the meds is his growth was stunted. But it’s worth it in my opinion so he behaves.

We did medication starting in first grade. Worked wonders for him. He all grown up now, graduated from college with a master’s degree so don’t think it hurt him in any way. One thing that worked well for him in class was a three sided wall that sat on the top of his desk. If he stood he could see over it to ask a question or see the board, etc. but seated he was isolated. He could hear the teacher and other students at all times, but visually it helped him not to be so distracted.

There are also many ways that he can be helped w/o alot of meds also if he diagnosed with it you can ask for a social worker to help benefit him at school to she works as his helper also.esp if u have teacher issues

When my son was in K his teacher recommended we get him evaluated. The Dr. put him on medication. I put him in the band where he played the drums. My son played in the Golden Band at LSU where he earned a degree in Accounting. He went on to get his MBA. He could not have done any of it without his medication and he remains on it to this day. He is 34.

My son was diagnosed with adhd when he was 5, had him on all the meds. Here’s the thing, once it’s on their school form that they are adhd the school system pushs for medication. My son developed tics from his meds. When I took him off meds I had to fight with the school. Try a cup of coffee first. It worked for my son. Somehow it calmed him and helped with focus. Good luck.

Two of my grandsons have ADHD, after trying alot of modifications at school they both were on medication along with therapy. Make sure you have a 504 or IEP for your child.

Get the right medication and it will work wonders! There is also a non stimulant as well! #nurselife #pediatrics

I chose not to put my son on medication. He was just a kid. Kids act up. No big deal. Worse decision I ever made. He couldn’t concentrate so he kept getting farther and farther behind. He finally quit school wanted to join the military. Couldn’t stay with that either. Can’t tell you how many times we have been through rehab because drugs made him part of the party crowd. If I had it to do over I would medicate and see where that took us. He is 40 years old and still struggles without the right medicines. Give the kid what he needs to be successful don’t regret not doing everything you can to help him. It’s not going to just go away. He won’t just outgrow it.

Fish oil will help with this. You can get it in liquid form from a nutrition store. I had to use it for are son to help him focus. It does work

My daughter had a letter from school…I waited til she got home n i sat down with her n asked her if she could tell me what was going on… she really didnt know what to say…so i
asked her was it she didnt understand the homework or was the teacher being hard on her or the class?.. plus other questions n here she was telling me that on monday she is told about a test n the next few days before she realized it was test day…it happened alot…beings I had another daughter like that I asked her how about we talk to your daughter n maybe we can help you out with this… we made a visit n we saw a recommended doctor n found she was adhd…she took her medicine n plus we arranged her routine where she was comfortable…she did great n was able to concentrate on things n get things done…at that time it was straterra n concerta…one daughter took one n the other took the concerta…as well as my other kids, they turned out quite well…so yeah try it

I was put on meds in the 3rd Grade. Yes it worked out great for me. My grades improved exponentially. I was on Vyvanse and Intuniv for many years years until my body got immune to it. I’m 19 now and on a new medication called Stratera which helping me out right now. Medication is fine but it doesn’t fix Adhd or prevent it. It helps us with the symptoms related to Adhd. I’m not a doctor either. Talking with a trusted doctor can help find you the right medication. Behavioral therapy and just talking with a therapist helped me out a lot.

Before you medicate try eliminate sugar and red dye from his diet. Especially breakfast cereal . If you give kids a lot of sugar for breakfast and they start their day off hyperactive they can’t sit still or pay attention. You can also add caffeine to the list of things kids don’t need. It’s worth a try and it worked for my child who is now 37.

My son is severe ADHD and the only medication that works for him is adderall extended release and we tried every route possible without t the meds but know that if u choose adderall for your child that it comes with restless nights and not having an appetite my son is either allergic to the meds or they do not work for him the only thing we found that works is adderall

I had a nephew who was struggling with it and finally found the right meds for him . In his own words … it’s a miracle! He now is a freshman in college and doing extremely well.

My sister would buy organic lettuce, wash and soak it overnight in a pitcher full of water (NO SUGAR) overnight in the fridge and give that to her son (who was 8 years old) all day, and send him with 2 lettuce bottle waters for school. Sometimes, she would wash the lettuce, boil a big pot of water, dump the lettuce in the pot and turn it off. She’d let it cool off and fill the bottles with the lettuce water. Once in a while when he had trouble sleeping, she would fill the tub with warm water and add the lettuce and let him soak in the lettuce water. That would help him calm down and sleep. Whatever method you may use, it worked for her son. A couple of weeks passed and Teachers and everyone thought she had put him on medication. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Her son was a lot calmer and sitting still was not an issue anymore, didn’t get into trouble as much and was able to focus. It’s worth a try before medication.

Maybe a bit of research but here’s what I know,

“Lettuce contains a substance called lactucarium, which has a calming, sedative and analgesic effect. For this reason, lettuce water helps you fall asleep and stay asleep through the night.”

I have raised three daughters with ADHD and my husband has ADD it has been challenging for sure but the things that worked best for all included was a smaller classroom with very few distractions, a program that’s no nonsense so that everybody does the same thing. No either or just do. Absolutely have him tested the right physician can make all the difference. Some very famous people had ADHD and succeeded.

My grandsons are on medication and it’s helped them tremendously. They’ve been on it since grade school and now one is in tenth and the other is a senior. It never changed their personalities at all.

I have a son who was misdiagnosed with ADHD about the same age. Turns out it was a gluten allergy! Change the diet and if he eats ramen, Cheetos or boxed Kraft Mac and cheese…STOP. They exacerbate the conditions. I had horrid experiences with the meds. Please research gluten allergies first and then if needed, seek out a psychologist before a psychiatrist. They are not so quick to throw meds at the kids unlike psychiatrists.

I have a nephew who has adhd and his father refuses to believe anything is wrong with him. So he says no medicine. So now my nephew has had so many referrals from school, he yells and back talks all the teachers. Refuses to listen to adult’s. He bullies other kids at school. He was on medication once and he was a totally different boy. The medication benefited him so much and now he has so much trouble. You don’t need the father’s permission to help your child. Do what you believe is best for him, not his father. I have a 17 yr old that is autistic and also has adhd. I tried for years to put weight on him because he couldn’t sit still long enough to eat. But now he is bigger then me so it helps in other ways also.

We went through this with my son this year who is also 6. He was diagnosed with adhd and sensory disorder. We were also against medication but nothing we did worked we had to pull him out of school for 12 weeks because the school threatend to kick him out because he was a transfer student. Since hes been on medication there has been no major problems. He still has days he gets in trouble but hes not running away from school like he had been. The medication we have him on usually only lasts about 8 hours when he gets out of school its wearing off.

My hyper child was on medication when he was young. It was like night and day. His body and his mind finally worked together. He started running at 9 months. He didn’t walk.

Definitely have a medical consultation and evaluation and go from there. Don’t assume anything

If dad thinks he only needs a talking to, tell him to do it. If it dose not work talk to peditrician

There are supplements kids can take before taking the plunge into meds.

Get him the help he needs. If it’s medication. So be it.

Good grief, get him tested! There are therapies to help him.

My oldest who is now 43 and it helped him

Same thing happened with my son. He does have ADHD, and we tried a 504 plan for school, along with 2 years of behavioral counseling first. My son was still unable to use the given strategies to manage his symptoms on his own. When he started noticing that he is “different” from other kids, he has a difficult time concentrating, and everything takes him longer to complete than his friends…HE asked me if we could go to the Dr.

We started with the smallest dose of meds possible, and bumped it up just 1 time in the past 4 years. It is working well for him, and he is now thriving. There is no one size fits all approach. Everyone has to do what is best for them. :heart: We began the whole process when he was 5. Meds began right before he turned 8, and will be 12 in June. We didn’t want to medicate at first, but it ended up being the best decision we could make for him.

1 Like

My son is ADHD and also epletic.They would only treat the epilepsy and his teacher said to allow him to have a pepsi. in the morning. It helped.

My son has been on ADHD meds since kindergarten or 1st grade (he’s in 6th now). He would sing and dance, climb on his desk, roll on the floor, etc and most of the time he didn’t even know he was doing it. He could repeat everything the teacher said word for word but was disrupting the rest of the class. He tried Adderall and one other med but they were terrible, hes been on focalin xr for 4yrs and has done amazing with no side effects (occassional headache but that’s normal). He feels better on it and if he forgets it he calls me from school to bring it because he hates how he feels without it. If dad has an issue with putting him on meds have him talk to the teacher and Dr to understand.

If your child was diabetic, would you give him medication? If you child had cancer, would you give him medication? This is no different but it happen in his brain and that why people don’t want to give medication. Medication helps with all types of mental problems, why wouldn’t you help your child? He is not doing this on purpose, like his father wants to believe. He does not have control over his actions!

Get that kid medicated. As a sufferer and the father of one, I can tell you that we do NOT wanna act that way. We literally can’t help it.