Did you choose to medicate your child with ADHD?

Interesting read, Kailee Marie Thompson.

NO! We tried everything, low sugar, herbal, schedules, discipline, you name it. Her pediatrician was wonderfully helpful. Organized sports burned off the extra energy and the right teacher taught how to cope. My daughter learned how to manage her ADHD.
She went to college, married, became a volunteer firefighter & EMT, is a mom to 2 boys and got her Masters Degree in early education. She teaches 3 & 4 yr olds with special needs, some very severe.
Hang in there. Fight for your child. Expect a lot from them. :pray:t2::+1:t2:

1 Like

I have not medicated… but I am a teacher and I will say that it is worth talking to the doctor.

I have had students who did not do well on medication, but more often than not, most felt BETTER once they found the RIGHT meds.

If he is struggling a lot, summer is a good time to start with a small dose to see if it takes the edge off

3 Likes

My boys have been on medication for adhd since they started school school was very very rough with out it. Now they have both done great! Talk with ur dr find the right med

3 Likes

It sounds like he has an amazing teacher who has truly been giving him her all. The most important thing is for him to be successful and feel good about himself. Best course of action would be to talk to your doctor. Share all the strategies that the teacher has tried up to this point. Trust their opinion. Lots of people aren’t a fan of meds but I have seen many kids benefit from it. It isn’t a decision to take lightly.

2 Likes

Get the eval. Both my kids have ADHD. When my daughter was younger I was against meds and waited a long time to medicate her. I regret it. My son, as soon as I had the diagnosis I set him up with Med management. He’s so much better in school now. Maybe have the dad talk to the evaluator about how adhd is a neurological condition, and how it affects kids. Good luck!

19 Likes

My son has ADHD and is ODD. His kindergarten year was almost exactly the same as your son💔. We chose to medicate and this year has been AMAZING!!! No problems at school. Grades for the year are 2-100, a 98, and a 96😲!
He is still active and plays like a normal kid. Not zombied out.

1 Like

I tried a bunch of different behavior therapies with my daughter when she was young and none worked so I had a long Frank discussion with her doctor after her test results. We chose a medication that seemed to have the least side effects from his perspective and she only got it for school. I had to just up my patience level and home and repeat myself. ALOT. Which was fine by me. It worked. There was an immediate difference. I also listened to her as she got older and told me she didn’t want to take it anymore. She struggles a bit with focus now at 17 but she has learned to adjust her strategy and study habits.

2 Likes

My son was the same way. I got him tested and on medication. His dad also didn’t want him to be because he was just acting out. With in a year hw has changed so much for the better on the medication. In stead of getting calls and emails everyday of trouble, I get emails of how great he’s doing.

2 Likes

I gave my son medicine during school week, off on weekends and summer. My dr was ok with this. It was a life changer for him. I waited til he was in 5th grade because his dad was against it. My son struggled for so many younger years and didn’t have to :broken_heart: Now he’s in the army, 5 years and does so amazing. Its all about helping them through with whatever methods we can, for him it was meds and structure.

5 Likes

Get him tested for sure, even if he does have ADHD medication isn’t the only treatment option. Stay strong momma and do what you think is best for your little one :heart:

5 Likes

Our grandson is autistic and when he was very young they recommend meds. He didn’t have ADHD that usually goes with the autism. Thankfully, my son and daughter in-law refused to put him on any meds. He’s 18 and had no problems growing up.

2 Likes

First of all he needs to get tested and after that you can gather information about possible therapy or medication. There are so many different therapies, medications and ways as there are different people with ADHD or add … I don’t have a child but a husband with ADHD that also has a ADHD aunt around our age … My husband does well with his therapy animal but it is a Desaster when meds get involved. His aunt on the other hand strives with medication. Your way sure is filled with try and failure but hang in there momma.

4 Likes

When I got my son he was on Ridellan. I worked with his diet little to know sugar and no red dye. It worked for him. I was able to only have him use it at school.

2 Likes

I had my daughter tested when I knew she was acting worse and that wasn’t her. She couldn’t focus she was getting violent and not listening. She was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD. She is on 2 meds 1 for morning and 1 for night. This is her 2nd morning and it has just been upped but she is doing great and the violence has stopped. Getting her tested is the first step and then go from there. Only you will know what is best.

2 Likes

My son started medication in grade 1. It was worth it for us. He has been on three different meds. Two of them for long periods of time. We often take breaks in the summer as they affect his appetite. They wear off right around the end of the school day. I suggest working with a therapist and your pediatrician to see if it’s the right path for you.

5 Likes

I medicated my adhd son. He can’t focus well or long enough without the medicine and that would impact his school performance. My thinking was his teachers needed a kiddo to be on task and not disrupting the whole class and the kiddo needs to do well in school

9 Likes

Definitely get the eval. Having a diagnosis can open the door for a lot of services.
That being said my 7 year old is unmedicated. However, he also has epilepsy and although not impossible, it is tricky to keep a balance when adhd medication is added to the mix. In school they handle it on their own and do just fine. At home we were recommended behavioral therapy which I haven’t been able to get set up yet. In the meantime I’ve just been trying to keep him as busy as possible and when it is nice out, outside to burn off his energy. As someone else mentioned too finding interests that keep them focused. For my son it is reading especially about cars and watching outdoor/adventure type shows.

My daughter was diagnosed with severe ADHD and autism at 4 I made the choice to put her on medication then. We always did the lowest dose possible and it helped. At 4 she couldn’t do a lot of things the medicine helped her focus. We had her evaluated through the achoolnwhen she went to school and she got an IEP that was 14 pages long. Today (with the help of behavioral therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, and physical therapy) she is 15 yrs old has not been on meds for 2 years her IEP is one page and she is and A,B student her first year of high school. Also as she got older I started taking her to a counselor and I believe that helped too.

2 Likes

Do the evaluation. Youd be surprised what kind of clarity they get while medicated. I was like you, not really sure if i wanted my 6 year old on medication but honestly he couldn’t even count to 20 and since he started medicine hes counting past 100 and absolutely thriving in school.

3 Likes

There were several people against me getting medication for my sons ADHD. I stopped calling it by name and started explaining as a medical condition. Amazing how everyone changed their minds and then I told them that was what ADHD was :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:. Example: My son has a condition related to his brain developement that impacts the production of dopamine and seratonin. The low amounts of these brain chemicals leave his brain always seeking imput to find something to help him relax, basically kicks his brain into overdrive. The medication evens out these levels, so his brain has what it needs.

3 Likes

As a person with ADHD, a parent of a child with ADHD, and a teacher of many students with ADHD…I say give it a try. Medication isn’t right for everyone. But when it helps, it REALLY helps. Not only does it help in the short term, but it teaches our kids what they are capable of. My son was on Concerta and Intuniv together with very minimal side effects from the time he was 6 years old until he hit puberty. Then it became less effective and actually was messing with his mental health. So we took him off them. Since then, he has learned coping mechanisms and tricks (sports are really helpful) to be successful. Because he knows how capable he is. I am not sure he would have figured that out without the meds. It isn’t an easy decision for sure, but you can always change your mind. My advice is to give it a try. :heart:

6 Likes

I work at an elementary school and also have a child diagnosed with adhd, I would suggest getting him tested but that doesn’t mean you have to put your child on meds my child is not on meds and is still able to get an iep(individual education plan) and a 504 , limiting screen time , and changing his diet to low sugar and no specific dyes that have been proven to trigger has worked wonders.

4 Likes

My son was the same way at 5-6 and instead of write ups they’d make me leave work to pick him up or lock him in the office. He was tested and has adhd plus form. Medication was the best option for him. Took a bit to find a type that worked well for him but after his focus improved. He still used fidget toys at school occasionally and a band on his chair to move around if he couldn’t stay still. He’s 10 now and doing so much better at school. His frustration is another story tho.

The father can kiss your ass do what’s best for your kid so he can get an education and emotional stability

15 Likes

I was absolutely against medication…but my son was failing at no fault of his. I had someone ask me if I would give my son the necessary medications if he was diabetic…I ofcoarse said yes .then he asked if I would give my son medications if he had heart disease…ofcoarse again I said yes…then he asked then why wouldn’t you for his brain? There is something going on that he can’t control and medications can help him. It changed his and my life completely. So glad I listened and helped my son. He is “normal” now. He is not a “zombie” and is growing like a weed! It may take time to get the right medication and dosage…but he is learning and gets in to “normal” trouble now. :grin:

9 Likes

My son also has ADHD. He would spin on the floor during learning time in first grade and crawl under the desk. He also prefers to stand to do his work. We talked to his Dr and told him we didn’t want him to be a zombie and at first we were against medicating for it. But his Dr told us he could medicate him and promised he wouldn’t be a zombie. He is on dexmethylphenidate , generic Focalin. He started him on the pediatric dose and it has worked wonders. We had to up it for a short time to twice a day but he is back down to once a day and is doing well.

3 Likes

I put all 3 of my ADHD kids on meds. When they got old enough to make an informed decision for themselves, I let them make their own choice.
It sounds like your child’s teacher has accommodated him in numerous ways. I’d rather see him medicated than moved into a classroom specializing in difficult behaviors. JMO

3 Likes

Whatever you do dont tell your child they have this "problem " They will use it as an excuse to get by with bad behavior. If you decide to medicate just give it to them and tell them it’s to help them feel good and healthy. Dont make a big deal of it. I have a friend that did it this way and her son didn’t know until he was an adult that he even had a problem. He is a well functioning adult now

3 Likes

As weird as it sounds a small amount of coffee in the am before school will help. My 11 year old now was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 6. Started him with a small dose then as he grew the doses became stronger and he has to take a medication while at school.
Definitely talk to his Dr first and foremost.
The coffee thing is to see if he gets even more hyper if it seems that he is pretty calm after the coffee then you would know if he has a hyperactive personality.
If hes an only child maybe he needs to go outside and run off energy

3 Likes

My son is 8 and we had him tested around age 6 we don’t do medications we do more with diet to help him and a schedule we watch his red dye intake his sugar intake he cant have caffeine but caffeine is different for everyone and we try to eat less processed foods he has a schedule we keep to the best we can it its helped alot

3 Likes

As an mom of a kid with ADHD getting the evaluation is important to get accommodations at school. He can qualify for an IEP which means extra supports at school. More individualized to him. It may mean some special education classes to accommodate how he learns and for his behavior. Otherwise he will begin getting suspended for behavior. Once you have the diagnosis ask for and IEP. (Individualized education plan) The school will meet with you and establish goals and accommodations for him. Then update at least annually. It will benefit him. Medication was a huge benefit for us but we started with the IEP and accommodations before moving to Medication.

3 Likes

I chose to medicate my now almost 10 yr old son. He had the same issues. He had ADHD/ODD/Anxiety. Was tested when he was almost 7yr. His doctor was able to get him on the right pills needed. Without them, he would be all over the place. With it, he is able to act and learn like the regular kids. Get him evaluated first. And talk to his doctor

2 Likes

You have to find the right medication for your child, there are many out there and they work well for the right person and dosing is also key. ADHD is not a behavioral problem, it’s a miss for in the brain that causes jumping from one thing to another. It can also be hereditary as it is in my family. My 70yr old mother still deals with it but has managed to raise 5 kids and go to college later in life so it doesn’t mean they are dumb or can’t thrive. My second oldest also has it and he is successful in his life and yes I did have to medicate him to a point but finding what gives them their focus, for my son it is drums and reading. ADHD people tend to be very intelligent as well which for so many gets lost in the struggles but it takes patience and understanding of the condition for your child to have a happy childhood and successful life.

4 Likes

Get him tested first. Talk to the Dr about what the best options are for his diagnosis. Every child is different. Some children may be able to manage without being medicated and some may need it. Be open to all the options available.

1 Like

My son was having the same behavior issues when he was 4 years old teachers couldn’t handle him and just kept passing him onto the next teacher. I finally said let me get him evaluated and sure enough he was diagnosed with ADHD. The doctor prescribed meds for him which I was giving him for a while it had to be at least until he was 10 and he told me one day mommy I don’t want to take these pills they make me feel like a zombie. He came to me with a bag of pills he had hidden each time I gave them to him in the morning with a glass of water he never took them. I stopped giving him the pills and he seemed to strive without them. Today he is a high school graduate going to college.

2 Likes

Our daughter was diagnosed in 1st grade (19 years ago) thankfully her doctor and teacher worked with us and formed a plan. We cut out most processed sugar, red food dye and worked on a rewards system, it worked great.

1 Like

My son is 8 years old and has ADHD and ODD diagnosis. His father is also bipolar so we know there is a possibility that we may be looking at that in his teen years. I know your struggle and concern with everything. First talk to your doctor and get him evaluated. We tried different therapies and vitamins at first and then medication. We are 4 years in now and have found a good combination of medication and therapy for my baby. He is so smart and doing well in school. Whatever you choose just know there is no wrong decision. It is always what you think is best for your child.

1 Like

So I put of medication for a long time. I am a nurse and I knew of the side effects of some of the medication. I have learned for some kids this is an illness that needs medication. If I’d have my son medication earlier he wouldn’t have struggled as long as he did.

The best thing my parents did for me was to get me involved with sports and believe it or not chess .
sports helped burn energy and chess helped to keep my mind busy.
also a side note reading helped me a lot to learn to stay still
ADHD can be beneficial as an adult with training and work .
A lifelong ADHD man

1 Like

I hate that I have to medicate my son but he’s completely different when he takes his medication and has much more fun and is more able to manage in daily life. It’s a necessary evil and my goal/job is to help him succeed. If he’s constantly in trouble how does he build a good self esteem and manage in life ?

The decision to put my son on meds, was the hardest decision I have made as a mom. He hated them! He cried and begged me. It broke me a little. But it was the best decision. I got calls daily about his behavior, his focus, and his grades. He is in 6th grade now and I can’t remember the last call I got. (Knock on wood)

1 Like

The longer you can wait the better. However, if you and the teachers are frustrated imagine how frustrating it is to never be able to behave. To always feel like you are trying but can never measure up. Think about how long it would take for you to give up trying if you were in his shoes. Good luck and God Bless! :blue_heart:

My son has ADD (not ADHD) his is the inattentive type. Looks more like day dreaming. His 1st grade teacher practically wrote him off. He was in reading and math intervention. In 3rd grade we medicated him at the lowest dose possible and planned to increase if needed. He is a completely different student on medication and I wish that I had donr it sooner. It wasnt the easiest decision to make, and i feel like its individual. Mom to mom… get him tested, get the results, and go from there. Knowing is better than assuming

I was really nervous about medication at such a young age… my son was 5 when diagnosed… we tried everything and after a year I caved and put him on the medication… better living through chemicals. He isn’t constantly in trouble so he likes school better… I’m not a nervous wreck at my desk waiting for the next phone call from his teacher so I am happier… all around life is better!

My son is on meds now he’s doing better but the process is long and hard do not expect a change overnight if you decide to go forward with the meds. Counseling also helps. Keep in mind that every child is different. Good luck.

We medicated my step son but refused the normal meds they generally try to prescribe and found this all natural one that really helped I can’t think of the name of it right this minute but talked to a doctor they have all natural and low doses

It sounds like he is struggling and needs help. Imagine how frustrating life would be without having any control over your mind and body. Having him tested does not automatically mean you need to medicate him. There must be other resources available with a confirmed diagnosis.

Our middle son who is 40 n now. He was medicated for ADHD when he was younger. It was one of the best things we did for him. He has out grown the issues he had when he was younger.

1 Like

I chose to medicate and he was on Concerta. It only lasts about 8 hours in their system. I gave it to him before school and by the end of the school day, it was wearing off. His grades improved tremendously!! I also met with his teacher weekly to see what we could do to improve things.

I chose to medicate. 2 of my 4 have adhd. We resisted medication until he was falling behind at school and his impulse control became a serious issue. Behavior for him at school was not a major issue just not focusing to learn. Our daughter on the other hand is so easily distracted and distracts others. Behavior at school was a major problem and was unable to sit still and control impulses even with intervention. We medicated her right after diagnosis and it has made a huge difference at school for them both and at home.

I personally always wished I had medicated myself sooner. I struggled with anxiety and depression in high school and it severely impacted my school work. I missed so much time due to the physical affects of anxiety and it negatively impacted my relationships with teachers I really liked. As they thought I was making excuses to miss class. I didn’t really feel ‘myself’ until I was medicated. It sounds that many alternatives have been visited and have not worked. Can’t hurt to set a visit and see what can be done.

I had my daughter evaluated and have been medicating her since kindergarten. It has helped her focus and her grades and behavior have improved at school and at home as well.

My son took adderall for the last two years before this one. For the adderall, I had to add a noon med to get him through the rest of the day. This school year he has been on ritalin. He only needs it in the morning not noon. He doesn’t get meds on weekends or in the summer. He is still my sweet, kind hearted boy. He turns 12 this summer. I hope this information helps and if you have any questions please feel free to ask. Good luck and no matter what, you know what is best for your child.

Yes! Medicate! It may take a few tries to find something that’s perfect for your child, but it can make a HUGE Difference in their self-image and level of success at school.

Both of my sons have adhd and they got medicated due to not being able to focus or sit still. One is about to be 21 and after being off meds he made the decision to go back on them. Since going back on them he is going back to school. My 14 doesn’t like how he feels without the medication and decided to stay on it.

My son has adhd inattentive. He did a year of counseling to see if that would help, sadly it did not. He’s on a low dose of medication & thank goodness, it doesn’t cause him to seem zombie like. It’s helped him so much. On the days that I forget to give it to him, he’ll remind me. He says he’s needs them and can tell a difference when he’s not on them.

I was all against it until given the chance to help raise my great nephew whom suffers. His other Aunt worked very hard to get his dosing just right, and now, daily, he is able to concentrate, and stay out of trouble, and learn. He loves not being in trouble at school all of the time he is learning now so that as he grows older he will be able to be self-sufficient whereas if he wasn’t medicated just enough he would be an adult that couldn’t count his own money or cook how own food. it is selfish to let pride and ego prevent him from having the chance to learn. There is no shame in having ADHD or being a parent of a child who suffers.

1 Like

I highly recommend medication. It sounds like his teacher is trying. It made a difference for my daughter and there was no way my stepson would have gotten through school without it. She was add & he was adhd. Her father was against medication as well but her grades proved that it made a difference and her teachers could tell. They both are functioning successful adults now. The only 2 side effects were a lack of appetite and I did notice a calmness. I wouldn’t say zombies but you could tell a difference.

I would have him evaluated by a professional. That’s what I did. I don’t buy into what everyone else thinks. My daughter (10yr) has adhd and gad I thought things were wierd and had a professional diagnose her. She takes a small dose of a med (for school only) and she is still herself…

My husband and I were completely against medication, until we saw firsthand the struggles that our son was having. The teachers and I sawThe struggles he was having, my husband did not see it the same. Eventually we did go to medication route, and he only takes it on school days. Never at home, unless we are going someplace that I know he will need to be in control of himself. His school grades changed dramatically with the medication. I wish you luck as you make your decision.

My husband and I both needed help with adhd when we were kids but we went undiagnosed and unhelped, and as a result we struggled tremendously. We wanted to make sure our child had the change to be successful, so we chose to medicate him. It’s not a huge difference in behavior, just a little more focused. It doesn’t detract from his personality or energy at all. So we don’t feel like we are just doping him up. It just helps him focus a little easier since his young body cannot do it on his own at this point in life.

Meds didn’t work for my sons. That being said, his self esteem and problems are worth trying it. There are natural stuff out there. But, keep in mind that other issues present as ADHD. At home give him a coke or some other caffeine to see how he responds. Most likely it will calm him. :wink:
There are a lot of meds out there so give it a try. Doctors can’t tell you to medicate, you have to ask. He needs success.

I chose to medicate mine when their behavior effected not only their learning but the others around them. I had a doctor explain it very well when concerns about medication were voiced . He said you and I wake up on our game pretty much every morning your son doesn’t . The Meds offer ability to focus and be on his game . Having a good day is something we all deserve . We took Wkend breaks and didn’t use it during the summer. All of my children decided as they got older and could see the triggers know and the issues needed to help prevent any escalation , chose to be taken off their medication.

That is 100% ADHD behavior I have it and unfortunately both of my sons do as well get the tests and try low dose meds they make a world of difference. My oldest was failing the 1st grade got hom tested and found right meds and dose for him and he excelled

That’s a great teacher right there. I was super against medication but I tested out giving my son a can of caffine before school for a week and he was perfect at school. So that was my sign it was time. If you have a good pediatrician that will listen voice your concerns. Ask for information. I have both of my boys on Focalin XR different doses due to age and all that. They get it M-F they don’t need it outside of school. It allows for them to be wild and free and focus only in school when they need it. I would make sure to communicate daily with his teacher during the initial start of medication. They will start him on the lowest dose and go up if needed. If that dose is helping or he needs more they’ll tell you. Most teachers have plenty of experience with the trial time frame and communication. Good luck and I wish you all the luck.

I have all the same issues with all 5 of my kids. Some were medicated some were not. The ones i chose to medicate…it was a long discussion with tham as well as their dr. The ones that are medicated have done so much better in school and work. Does you child have an IEP with the special education department. I would definitely start there. If not request a full evaluation with them. They will do all kinds of testing and get him the help he needs in school. With a couple of my kids this was as important as the possibility of medication and counseling!

I used to be anti adhd meds until one dr put it this way to me – if your child needed insulin you wouldnt think twice about giving it so why are these meds different. If others have a hard time with his behavior imagine how he feels on the i side for something he cant help

I spoke to an elderly ladg who was a teacher for 30 yrs & after a deep convo I agree w her. BOYS mature way slower than girls. As crazy as it may sound she said boys aren’t “ready” for school until 8. They have so much hormone and much more active than girls. I do know for a fact teachers PUSH ADHD & meds way too much only bc they cant deal with the hyperactivity. A friends lil girl was placed on meds bc of her mom, ill equipped to deal with a child herself. The child started having thoughts of dying and scared she wouldn’t live much longer. I took her to my pediatrician and he said me bringing her in was the best thing bc thats a side effect of meds vc she wasnt adhd. My nephew wasnt prescribed until 10. He was on for about 3 yrs then he didnt need anymore. This subject is so hard bc boys are misunderstood with their active level. :disappointed_relieved:

I tried not to medicate for a while but I’m so glad I did when she was about 10 because it made such a huge difference , mostly being able to focus in school and keep up with her school work. She also takes a very small dose of medication to sleep because with her brain being so over stimulated she can stay up until 3 or 4 in the morning easily even on school days!. Good luck, it is a hard decision to make!

Nope. I didn’t go the medication route just to get him to focus in school. I’m not jeopardizing his health or how he will be long term just because the school suggested it. Kids who take medication have a habit of self medicating as adults out of habit. I do not want my son to become a drug or Alcohol abuser. There are other alternatives. Therapy. Sports, meditation etc

I chose medication bc they deserve to be happy as well. I couldn’t imagine not doing something. His life was really hard before he started meds. Goodluck!

My son was diagnosed with severe adhd at 3. This should tell you how serious it was. He has been medicated ever since, and I’ll tell you why. My sons brain just works differently. I had a 3 year old who couldn’t count, tell you his name, or answer any questions even yes or no questions. Because his brain was moving so fast he couldn’t register you asked him a question. He would just repeat the last thing he heard me say. If I say are you going to be a good boy instead of saying yes he would say good boy. He is now 9. Without meds my son doesn’t function well, not only his ability to focus but also his behavior.

I started medication for my son at the age of 6. His ADHD was affecting his learning was why I chose to medicate him. He is now almost 17 and still takes medication. We tried a few years ago to take him off medication but his impulse control just wasn’t there and he asked to go back on medication.
He also sees a behavior specialist who specializes in ADHD. He is doing well. Good luck

Yep… both my boys take meds… my oldest to stay focused in school the youngest because of his behavior and focusing. It has made a huge difference… both of them get A’s and B’s… they both say it has helped them so much. They cannot control how thier minds work… they both try to hard… so with meds it helps alot…

I chose to, I had a great doc that never over medicated him. He was never a zombie. He just was able to function and excel in school without getting in trouble all the time

Same issue, we had our son tested 3 yrs in a row. All borderline ADD. Finally broke down and gave him the lowest dose, and not extended release. He only gets it during school days and it has Really helped. Talk to your pediatrician, be open and honest with your concerns, and go with your gut.

My son has been diagnosed and had been on medication for several years. It does take patience when trying to find the right medication and dose but we would not have survived through school to this point without it. It has really helped him tremendously in addition to the therapy he gets.

I was in the same boat. I ultimately decided to medicate. He started with Ritalin but I didn’t like the highs and lows all day because it only works a few hours. Now he takes concerta which is once a day and it’s so much better for him. He was falling behind in school and I just figured I’d at least try the medication route and if I hated it, we’d stop. Well he’s doing so much better. In school and at home. I thought it would change him but I honestly feel like I got my sweet boy back. What really helped me make the decision was that I read about adults with untreated adhd and after reading I figured it was worth a shot. P.S. my husband was against it too but he knows that I’m the one that deals with everything and I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t feel it was best. Every kid is different and what works for one might not work for another. Just do some research and read, read, read. You’ll make the right choice.

As a teacher, my advice is to first get the evaluation. Then make an informed decision with your dr. Kids know when they are having a hard time and the other kids are not. I causes a lot of frustration for them. If your child had any other medical condition you wouldn’t hesitate to medicate. I hate that there is such a stigma for ADHD. Kids who have been medicated for a while actually start to feel better about themselves and their abilities.

My son does and has. But we made sure complete testing was done and tried different forms of therapy before we chose meds. I also didnt want the meds to take his personality away or turn him into a zombie so he takes a low dose just to help him focus.

We did all of the things - diet modification, behavioral therapy, sticker charts, preferential seating, pre-ques…and nothing gave her any results that were consistent. I was strictly against meds. Then one night I realized our house was a very angry and tense place and we had to do something for her. We have been very fortunate that the meds we chose have had few, if any, side effects. Both of our daughters have ADHD, but they are still responsible for their choices. It is not a free pass. They are now 12 and 16 and they have thrived with a combination of meds, behavioral therapy, and boundaries.

Maybe have the teacher give him a break when he feels overwhelmed and can’t sit still. Instead of taking away those blocks for a write up why not let him use those blocks for a five minute unwind break. And when those are all used he doesn’t get any more so he will learn to use them wisely. My son is 9 and ADHD and autistic. We do virtual schooling and he needs a ton of breaks and reminders. When he goes back he has an IEP so they know exactly what behavior to look for. He has had this in place since k4 but just got his diagnosis this year.

My son was diagnosed with ADHD and we tried several meds, with play therapy. After the 4th med, we refused to medicate him and just continued the play therapy. He’s now a college graduate and did very well in both high school and college. The years he was on meds and going through play therapy were rough. I’m glad it’s over. Just remember, this isn’t his fault. Do everything in your power to help, including sitting with him through homework to remind him to focus. No matter what you decide, I wish you the best of luck.

My son is 25 now and he told me After High School that he wished that I would have put him on the medication he thought that it would have helped him learn and be able to concentrate. I was very shocked to hear him say that because I was kind of against the medication. I’ve seen other children on medication and I have seen them up and down with the parents trying to find out how much to give them.

We had my step son tested because we all suspected and he has the same if not more issues you just listed and all his doctor told us was about meds but didn’t give any other options which we wanted to see. She’s like I’m not saying you should but that was all she talked about.

Yes, we did. Not at first but once we realized he was having a hard time learning, it felt like it was something we needed to try. We got our autism diagnosis at 2 and the ADHD diagnosis was added at 5. We started the medication at 6 and thankfully, we’ve only had to increase the dose once. I was personally very against medication in the beginning but once I saw that his learning was being impacted, I figured I owed it to him to try it, to give him the best chance of being successful. It has paid off - he is starting high school next year and he is in two honors classes. Just make sure the teachers give you plenty of feedback on how he’s doing and let you know if they have any concerns - that is hugely important when you are trying to find the right medication and dose.

My son has ADD, had him tested which was expensive ( my insurance didn’t cover it) He didn’t want the medication-he wanted to try without it. Then came to me and asked to be put on it. Huge difference in school work. We chose not to give it to him on weekends

My son may have adhd as well it takes a special sort of patience to deal with and write ups aren’t going to help him. But as my boyfriend has asked “if he does please when you see him slipping medication will help.” Because my boyfriend suffers from adhd as well. A single pill changed his life.

When my children were first diagnosed, I put them on the meds to help them take control of themselves, but I also put them in counseling so they would have the help they needed to understand their condition and take controll of it

My oldest has ADHD. Medication is the only way he can function at school properly.
He was off medication for a while and his grades suffered tremendously. It’s not his fault he can’t concentrate. There’s nothing wrong with medicating the brain. It’s no different than any other organ.

We didn’t medicate. But you can anyways try on a trial basis. And adhd mixed with not being challenged enough could be baking it harder for him. My adhd child is super smart and needs challenge

It is awesome his teacher understands and tries to helpnhim verses getting mad and punishing him…
No matter what you decide in regards to meds, educate yourself and him about ADHD. Regardless of medicine it will be good for all of you to understand what it is and what it mean in terms if behaviors

Please don’t refuse mediation, one of my nephews has ADHD, as a kid, they want back and forth on whether or not to medicate. As a teen, he’s told me over and over that his mediation allows him to think clearly. Now, finding the right mediation may take time, but don’t discount it, also, you may be putting the cart before the horse, he hasn’t been tested yet nor have options been discussed, there’s also behavioral therapy that may help him learn some coping techniques.

I was so against medication until I realized I wasn’t helping her by not giving it a chance. She was so far behind in k-2nd, I put her on it this year for 3rd and she is making huuuuge progress.

If your child had diabetes, would you refuse insulin ? The doctors will work with you and the school to get the correct dosage. As children get older they can often take it less often.

I started with medication for my son at 5 years old. He is now 16 and no medication. He is able to deal with his ash’s through emotional and behavioral therapy, as well as through his diet. It’s up to you and what you fell comfortable with. I did not give him medication on weekends or during summer

It’s a hard decision to make, but in my opinion, if he has it and you choose to do nothing, it’s child abuse. Life is hard enough on kids growing up, if medication will help him, then you need to try it. There are natural alternatives that they can try. My great niece called her meds happy pills, they slowed her brain down so that her body could keep up. One of my grandsons also has it, and it’s changed his learning abilities immensely. He’s went from failing classes to passing everything. Get the evaluation and go from there. Not all meds work for all kids. You may have to try several before you find what works best for him. Give him the chance to learn the way he needs to.

My son is 38 and struggles with it still. We did not medicate whe he was younger, we found a great kids therapist who specializes in behavioral therapy. She taught him and us techniques to deal with his needs. They also helped me as I found that I have added. He made it through college without medication. He has since started a med to balance serotonin levels. Good luck…

We did when our son first started school now heading into second grade we have stopped. I think it helped him slow down just enough to grasp what was happening in school and know the expectations and try his best. We also spoke with him about appropriate times to be silly funny or “holding his distractions in” now he is med free and doing well. We noticed alot of mood swings as he got older that made at home life harder so we stopped. But it did help

Get him tested before you decide to Medicate. My teacher told my mom that i had adhd and i don’t. I just was a kid with more energy and i like to talk.