Did you give their baby their dads last name?

My child has mine!!! lots of reasons why such as your own. And it’s her and I so why not have matching last names.lol. I’m now divorced and My last name went so much better!!!My family have also gone above and beyond for My Child. Also the judge didn’t make me change it and I explained in courts why I chose her Last name to be mine.

1 Like

Sadly I did. I thought things would be different but, I ended up raising my son by myself, without absolutely any help from him. My sons grandmother drops off an insane amount of toys for his bday or holidays but that’s honestly it. I appreciate the things from his grandma, but I plan on changing my sons last name to mine when I can afford it.

I agree with you, however, don’t forget one day this baby will be older and will want to know who his or her father is, no matter how bad he is, the baby has his blood too. I learned not to dog their dad in front of them, no matter how much I hated his behavior. If you put their dad down they may feel they too are bad . I let them see it for themselves. He started acting out, drunk, break promises and outings. I know my son hated his last name and considered changing it. He also never wanted to have kids, as to not allow the blood line to CONTINUE. He wanted a vasectomy at 25! I tried to explain he wasn’t his dad. He eventually forgot about the idea. Both my kids tried to have a relationship with their dad but it never worked out because he never changed. Only you can make this decision. Be blessed.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::pray::heart:

1 Like

I have my moms last name. My daughter has my last name. My son has his dad’s full name because I married him. No other reason. If I would have been unmarried, he would have had my last name. That’s a privilege you get when you marry not cuz you got me pregnant.

I was stupid and have my son his dad’s last name. But mistake! He’s been absent for 6+ years. My husband has now adopted my son and we all share a last name now, but originally he had his bio dad’s.

1 Like

My oldest has a hyphenated last name he has both mine and his dad’s… But my youngest to another man has my name he didn’t want any part in his name or be on the birth certificate and I knew I was never going to marry either so the best I would offer was the hyphenated last name

I have my moms last name bc my dad wasn’t around. My sons dad cheated on me during my pregnancy but I still gave him his last name.

My first child yes I gave him his fathers last name but also his father was present before the pregnancy, during the pregnancy, & year and half after giving birth to our son, but my second child she carries my last name not her fathers and not only does she not have his last name but he also isnt on the birth certificate either and thats only because he wasn’t there when I found out I was pregnant, nor was he present during the pregnancy what so ever and he still isnt around all he does is call occasionally and thats it not to mention I’m now pregnant again with my last child and he will be carrying my last name as well like his sister.

I gave my children my husbands surname because I look at us as one family :heart: it was important for me to get married not long after my son was born so we all had the same surname though :family_man_woman_girl_boy:

1 Like

My kid has my maiden name but now wants my husband last name because they said that’s their dad to them

I gave my daughter her biological dad’s last name. We were together at the time but not married. We had planned on getting married tho in my heart I knew it wouldn’t last. We separated about 2 weeks after she was born and had on and off relationship for a year until I was just finished. I have pretty much raised her by myself. She knows he is her dad but that sums it up until the last couple years he has been pushing her more for a relationship with her. I regret giving her his name but at the same time she may have gotten made fun of for having my last name :woman_shrugging: Some kids are mean. But I someone told me after she was a year old in the state of ga you can change their last name in the first year possibly free or maybe without the other parents consent if not married, can’t remember which exactly. But it’s only in the first year. And I didn’t find out until after she was a year old. I probably would have done it.

Both my kids have my last name. I carried them, I birthed them, I take Care of them 100% so they are 100% mine.

1 Like

All 3 of my babies has my husband’s last name I wanted them to have his last name, because I felt like it was right now I have my dad’s last name I’m the only one that does out of his other daughters. So now that my dad passed back in June I kinda want my girls to carry on mine, and dads last name, but I’m not going to do my husband that way

2 of my kids have my last name because the father is a joke

Dads-moms. When they are grown they can choose what they want. Whichever comes after the - can be dropped no fees

1 Like

My boys have their dads last name not mine :woman_shrugging:t2: and my daughter has her dads last name and mine

1 Like

All 3 of my boys have my last name. I was in high school when i had my oldest. I felt that i carried him for 9 months i have every right to give him my last name. His dad is also not on the birth certificate. I have 2 boys with my now husband. I had them before we were married. Told him if we worked out and got married then we would change their last names. We had issues in the relationship where i didnt believe it would last. We married 7yrs after our youngest was born. He chose not to change their last name. He has other children from a previous marriage who will carry his last name on. My 3 boys are the only ones to carry on my family’s last name. I dont regret my decision.

My kids have their fathers last name,

1 Like

My son doesn’t, but both my girls do

Knew trend is having both parents last names in the child’s last name, I always believed in the child should have the father last name weather there in the picture or not my two have there dad’s last name he has nothing to do with them, but in the long run kids can always change there names when there 18 so if my two wanted to when there 18 they can

Yes but only because I got teased so much in school for my name.

My firstborn had my last name and my second born has my ex husband’s last name though hes the Jr. :woman_shrugging:t2:

My kids have their fathers surname,we not married in fact seperated but we both agreed on that

1 Like

My son has both double barrelled

I gave my first baby my real dad’s last name cause the sperm donor denied him. My second baby has my boyfriends last name :heavy_heart_exclamation::revolving_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

My kids surnames are double barrelled

My first two kids have my mom’s married last name and my brothers, their sperm donor didn’t want anything to do with them nor did/have his family so I wasn’t going to give them his last name

The name is earned, not assumed or an entitlement. If the other parent is not present and not responsible, then do what you must. You have to think about the future. For whichever path you choose

8 Likes

I wish I had given my daughter my last name. My biggest regret

1 Like

I gave my son his dad’s last name because no matter what, that is still his father. :woman_shrugging:t4: that’s just my feelings on it tho

5 Likes

You chose him. Poor child.

3 Likes

I didn’t give my baby her dads last name

my maiden name is my mother’s last name because my father was the same. absent, abusive, etc. the name should be earned, it’s not an entitlement. he should’ve been a better partner/father, and then maybe then your guys child would’ve been given his last name. :woman_shrugging:t4:
my fiancé was fully active during my pregnancy through now four years later so our son has his last name.
it’s not out of spite either, so the ones saying that are honestly the weirdos. some people don’t even show you their true colors until WELL into the relationship, or when something serious like pregnancy happens. sometimes you don’t know how a person truly is until a time like this so i fully support not giving your child his last name considering his actions. :woman_shrugging:t4:

6 Likes

Hyphenate!!! It’s the best middle ground.

3 Likes

I regret not doing this. Give that baby your last name girl

I’d of given the baby the dad’s last name

My son has his fathers last name.

My daughter has mine. :heart:

My doughter got my surname and her dads surname

My oldest son has my maiden last name, his father isn’t involved, but also I would have given my son my maiden last name to carry on my family’s name because I’m my father’s only child. My other 2 kids have mine and my husband’s last name.

1 Like

I gave my kids there fathers last name for genealogy purposes in the future.

1 Like

My daughter has her father’s surname, even though he’s in prison for breaking in to our house and trying to kill us. He will always legally and biologically be her father no matter what, I’m not petty like all the other mothers.

2 Likes

Nope, sperm donor left when I told him I was pregnant and disappeared. I raised my son by myself.

1 Like

Sounds like you did the right thing

My sons all have their fathers last names
I gave my first born son (middle son as I adopted the eldest) my maiden name for his middle name. Our youngest has my grandmothers maiden name for his middle. I didn’t get to name our eldest

My son has my last name as his father hasn’t been involved. My daughter has her dad’s because we were together when she was born.

I gave my daughter my last name. He was upset & CONSTANTLY brought it up. I gave my son his last name because we were supposed to be married & he kept telling me I’ll have to pay to change her name. We didn’t get married. He hasn’t been in my kids lives since my son was 1. I wish I followed my gut & didn’t give him his name. Now my son has a “family name” of a family that rejected him. A family he doesn’t know. It also causes confusion. Kids tell my kids they aren’t siblings & such. It’s harder to switch from dad’s last to mom’s last later. Give YOUR baby YOU name. You will always be there for him. He probably won’t.

My daughter gave her son her last name, not the fathers. Do what you feel is best

Nope all 3 of mine have my last name

Nope I didn’t. I found out stuff about him and actually moved to another state to keep him away from my son. He has my father’s last name

I didn’t cuz mine was just not there

My kids have there father last name

1 Like

All of my kids have my last name.

My cousin let her sons sperm donor guilt her into adding his last name when he was born. That POS hasnt seen my nephew since the day he was born nearly 20 years ago.

My nephew now has to pay to remove the last name he hates and just keep our last name.

We werent together, so nope.

My daughter has my last name. Thanks for the sperm, but it takes more than that to be a family.

6 Likes

Give that man his child’s last name!! It doesn’t matter if y’all are married. Dont be weird. Keep your last name. Only dead beat dads don’t share their last name.

3 Likes

Both my children have my last name, I’d only give a newborn the fathers last name if I was married to him

1 Like

My older son has my last name. He was absent from the beginning. Abusive. Not a reliable person. When I went to the hospital…i was induced 7 wks early. In labor for 3 days and ended up with an emergency c section. He didn’t show up till 10 hrs later. To come in yelling and screaming with his parents with him demanding to see his child. Yelling thru the halls. Mind you I’m 16. Almost died and he’s acting like an immature idiot. He got mad when he saw my son in the NICU with my last name on the bassinet…all the babies have their mom’s last name. My nurse came in. Saw how upset he was making me called security. He was told to leave with his bad behavior. Now my son is 27 yrs old…his dna never gree up. Has a friendly relationship. Not a father son relationship.

1 Like

My son has his fathers last name. I mean. I do too. But he has been there every way step of the way since the minute I found I was pregnant. Our relationship didn’t work out but he’s an amazing dad.

I’m currently pregnant and my daughter will have my maiden name. I genuinely feel like this is the right choice. I have this gut feeling about it and I’m listening to it.

I back your decision! 100% i agree with another commenter. The name is earned. He did not earn it. Not assumed or entitled. Love it.

1 Like

Yes if we are married.
No if we are not and doesn’t seem likely we ever will be.

My son has my last name. His Dad has never been involved though. Would be a different ball game if he had been!

My children have their fathers last name

Yes. All of my kids have their fathers last name as it is their identity

My son has my last name because his father was the same way. He chose drugs and what not over his son. I had to give him money so he can buy our son something on Christmas. Etc. I gave him my last name at first and I told him if he can get his act together I can change a last name. Safe to say he never did. And is now an absent father for 5 years now :slight_smile:

My son has his biological father’s last name because at the time I thought we would get married and have a future. In the end, he has been absent in my son’s life for the past 10 years. I am changing my son’s name to mine when I get the money. His biological father does not deserve to have his name continued on in the next generation. My daughter has my last name and all future children will have my last name unless me and there father are married. My name is just as good as the father’s name! I always want my children to be proud of their names and family. In the end it is your choice, but you need to be happy and at peace.

If he’s not acting like a dad then fuck no he doesn’t deserve to have his last name carried on other than that yeah I believe it’s up to the parents

My first son has his dads last name, he was there the whole pregnancy and so fourth. My second, had to be hyphenated :roll_eyes:… I put my last name first as everywhere will just use the first last name. Unfortunately, the judge said my sons dad had a choice when we did Custody and placement because the dna came back matching (which we both knew would without needing to do that) his dad is a narcissist. Him and his family were not there once my whole pregnancy, he made my life hell. Acted like the baby wasn’t his and his family said so and so on… my third, daughter on her way, I think I will be giving her dads last name. As most of his family will have nothing to do with her (example: his mom threatened to get me killed, told me multiple times to go die and croke and called me the c word and so on) I am with him and he is with me. We’ve are a team and he’s there for Me with this pregnancy and we talk about our future together.

I wish I wouldn’t have

U made the greatest decision

Mine have my last name.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Besides, he changed his name again, so glad it doesn’t matter to him.

1 Like

I BELIEVE… he can actually take you to court for that depending on how determined he is so good luck!

15 Likes

Mine are double- barrelled with my name first.
So I usually drop the last part as the dad is a useless abusive father and we’re not together.

3 Likes

lol he relinquished any stake in that decision. Major loser energy. You’re doing the right thing. My children got my name for a lot of reasons. It’s the mothers choice. We make them. No one else.

4 Likes

My kids have their dads last name, but he was around and he’s a good dad.

We did both of our names and if we marry I will hyphenate, so he will be the odd one out at that point

Before my husband and I got married and I had my daughter she had my last name we got to leave the hospital. She had my husband’s last name

Well I gave my son his fathers last name. Do I regret it ? Yes. Because he half asses everything while I take care of our son. But my last name will change and if he doesn’t step up than so will his sons. Do what you intuitively feel you should do. I knew I shouldn’t have but because of the judgement I was scared to get like you may be getting. I just made my sons last name , his. Best of luck to you mama :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: stay strong and stick to your word , it’s encouraging :heart:

My First Son Has Mine… The Dad Wasn’t Involved And So I Gave Him Mine, But My Baby Girl Will Have My Babys Dad LastName, It Will Be His First Daughter, But EveryOne Is Different

1 Like

Mine has both our last names. Not hyphenated. Two last names. My child’s choice, after divorce.

2 Likes

My mom had 4 children by 3 dads, and one of my siblings has our moms name, while the other 3 of us have our dads last name! My sibling is 15 and their dad was just as absent throughout life as he was during pregnancy! My mom definitely made the right decision!

I gave my kids their fathers last name because he was present for me through pregnancy & for them in life.

If he had acted like yours I would’ve given them my name

1 Like

If the dad didn’t give mom his last name then baby shouldn’t have his name either.

5 Likes

My daughter’s father was the exact same way and still is. She carries his last name because that is tradition and even tho i am a single mother and she only sees him maybe once a year, at one time I did have feelings for him. My daughter loves her dad, and wishes he would be around more, I think she would feel like her dad didn’t want her/love her if she didn’t have his last name

1 Like

My first that rejected my daughter before birth I gave her my last name ( my maiden) and my second child different father was involved and was there for the most part I gave my son his last name.

All 3 of my kiddos carry my last name with their fathers name hyphenated. After he left and chose not to be around I legally had them changed.

2 Likes

My son has my name. Daddy was absent. Im not married. I wont marry. Why would I want the hassle of raising him with a different last name having to prove hes my son because its not the same name? Plus my daddy had all girls…this way i have our family name keep going (potentially…im not forcing him to have kids)

In my opinion, it’s your baby give whatever name YOU want to give, absent or not is he going through all the shit us woman go through to bring a baby into this world? You are the mother, give ur baby your second name if you want, your partner can’t moan about it if he thinks it’s acceptable to sleep all day after being up all night playing video games lol, my first daughter had my second name as sperm doner wasn’t involved, now I have another daughter with my partner and both my kids have my partners second name now… he stepped up when that ‘beep’ couldn’t.

I gave my children my spouse’s last name.

I gave my oldest her dads last name while he was doing all that crap, abusing me and cheating. She tells me all the time she wants the same last name as my husband and kids and the regret is real. Baby girl didn’t deserve to have a deadbeats last name

And yet you had a child with him…(I dont think it should matter which surname the child has).

Less bullshit if the baby carries the mothers name only

To each, its own. No one can make a choice for you, right or wrong. N no one can say a thing to make you feel better about your choice or otherwise

My nephew had my sister’s maiden name until he was 18.

If you are not married or even together, then why give the baby his last name? It’s more common than you think and there is nothing wrong with it. I’ve remarried but hyphenated my name since my divorce in 2009 just so I could have the same last name as my son. I hate using my ex husbands name though.
Women don’t always take their husbands last name & the baby is half yours, so I say to each their own.

2 Likes

He wasn’t there for it and he dosent deserve it.

2 Likes

Nope. My oldest has my last name

1 Like

Nope. We weren’t married. We were young. He wasn’t interested.

My son has his fathers last name

I would question why you’re even still with him? It sounds sound like you’re not even that keen on him?

Definitely don’t use his name if that’s how you feel.