Do babies born at 37 weeks need the NICU?

Yesterday I went to my high-risk dr, and as of today, I am 33w2d. I have gestational diabetes and need to take insulin for it five times a day. I asked if they planned on inducing me at 39 weeks as they did with my last child, and she told me to me would be 37 or 38 weeks. That does not give me a lot of time, and I’ve never had a baby that early. Are 37/38 weeks still ok to not need NICU? Will he still be developed enough to latch for breastfeeding? This is my 4th baby, but they’ve all been overdue except for my 1yr old who came at 39w. The only reason I’m scared of is that my little brother was 36w and four days and had to be in NICU for a few weeks. And he was only 4lbs. Thank you for any advice and sorry if it sounds stupid

139 Likes

I had my daughter at 37 weeks. No NICU

Reality is you wont know until baby is born. Take care of yourself specially because you have GD.

1 Like

Every baby and every pregnancy is different. My sister has 3 kids that were all born between 36-37 weeks that didn’t need the NICU. I would call your doctor with these questions or ask at your next visit what they think based on your pregnancy.

Guidelines are that babies are considered “early term” at 37 weeks. So often they are fine and not considered premature. Of course those are just guidelines, and if you due date is not accurate it would make a difference. Usually it is best to allow babies to stay in utero as close to your due date as possible, while balancing risks and benifits to the mother. These personal health issues could really only be evaluated with your obgyn. Good luck!

1 Like

When it comes to our children there are no stupid questions. Babies born at 37 weeks generally don’t need the NICU. Keep in mind that GD babies tend to be bigger than others as well. Having said that, the issues would be the baby’s lungs and it’s ability to regulate body temperature. Unfortunately there’s know way to know for sure until the baby is born. Good luck momma.

2 Likes

I had my son at 36 weeks and daughter at 37 weeks they both were fine no NICU needed

Because of your gestational diabetes you wont know… Anything b4 37 weeks is considered early… You should probably talk to… oh damn… who is that person…your OBSTETRICIAN about your medical questions :woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3:

9 Likes

I was 37weeks there were minor complications, every baby is different though

Both of mine were born at 38.5 and were fine.

1 Like

Both my boys were born at 37 weeks, zero issues with either of them. Both healthy and went home with me 24 hours after birth. (Yes, 24 hours by my request).

Obviously everyone has given you wonderful advice to talk your situation through with your OB.

My first was born at 36 weeks full term

OK here’s the thing if you have gestational diabetes usually the baby is larger to begin with (im full blown diabetic now but had gestational diabetes with all of mine but my first) my fourth baby weighed 11’1 and was delivered at 38 weeks… with me what I noticed was all my children went up in weight with my diabetes my first one weighed 7’14 he was overdue by almost 2 weeks I was 19 at the time… my others were 8’1 early 9’1 early and then my final one 11’1 (I was induced with her)…

My daughter is type 1. Delivered todY at 34 weeks. 6 lb 3 oz baby girl.lungs are a bit small but shes doing great!

I had my baby at 36 weeks and 4 days. She seemed very healthy at birth! She weighed 7lbs 2 oz. it wasn’t until 24 hours after birth her lung did collapse. But she was in the NICU for 7 days exactly and healed so quickly! She is a wonderfully spunky 1 year old now :relaxed:

You won’t really know until the baby comes. My first baby was born at 32 weeks and my second was born at 38 weeks. Neither needed NICU.

I was 36 weeks and was rushed in to have baby via emergency c section. He was in NICU for 10 days.

I had my daughter at 27 weeks… the doctors said when I was first hospitalized that the goal was 34 weeks and after that the baby is just gaining Weight. Your fine! FYI my daughter was in the nicu 73 days and she was perfect then and perfect now.

I had both my boys at 37 weeks one was fine one needed NICU for 2 weeks for breathing issues both was over 7lbs

I had my second one at 37 weeks and he was healthy, he weighed 6’4 and breastfed right away…no NICU, went home in 2 days😊

I had my daughter at 35 weeks, she was 5lbs and perfect, thank god, no complaints. She’s 14 now.

All babies are different. My son born at 35 weeks did fine but my friends baby born ay35 weeks spent 21 days in nicu and went home on oxygen.

I had my baby emergency c section about 5 weeks early due to severe preeclampsia. She was 4lbs 5oz and only spent 3 days in the NICU due to breathing problems and problems with regulating her body temperature. You’d never guess now that she was ever a premie. She’s healthy as can be :slight_smile:

I had my baby at 36 weeks and he was fine. Every baby’s different

I had my 6 year old son at 30 weeks and he was fully developed, the only assistance he needed was with breathing his first 24 hours and they don’t know how to suck,breathe, and swallow until 34 weeks gestation.

My first born came just after 35 weeks. She was right at five lbs when we left the hospital. She didnt need special care and we only stayed maybe a day over. She was jaundice and had problems latching so i was unable to truly breast feed her. But she was healthy.

If the baby is under 5lbs they usually have them brought to NICU I think. Was going to have inducement for my 3rd baby at 37 weeks but got bumped to a week later and I was also taking insulin shots. GD babies are sometimes big. Mine was 9 lbs 12 oz

All 3 of my kids were born at 37 and 36 weeks. They were 6.1 6 and 6.1 they never stayed in the NICU and we left like 48 hours later. It really does depend on the baby. Good luck.

I had my child at 37 weeks and 3 days and he was very healthy…didny need NICU

My baby was born at 36 wks 5 days. Weighed 5 lbs… His lungs were fully developed so he went home the following day. He is now 4 yrs old. Take care of yourself. Good luck!

My daughter was born at 37 wks. A few watches when she was born. But every baby is different She is turning 4 next month and to this day she is fine

36 weeks twice now with 5 lbs baby’s and no nicu

1 Like

33 weeks and my daughter is just fine … she was tiny but no health problems and she’s 15 years old now :pray:

Honey, you’re gonna get better information from your doctor than strangers on Facebook. Write your questions down, take them with to the next appointment and communicate with the person delivering your baby. Not only will this further build your communication and trust but it will help your doctor understand your fears and where your head is so that can better help you through delivery.

4 Likes

I was 37 weeks and I had my oldest and he was fine. Very tiny but fine.

I had same thing , baby came at 38 weeks +2 7 pounds 3 ounces no nicu :slightly_smiling_face:

My daughter was induced at 37 weeks due to a growth in her abdomen… she did end up in NICU but that was due to her being operated on at 3 days old… prior to the surgery she was with me on the ward… however in your case the fact that you have gestational diabetes may increase the chances of your little one needing increased care more so than being 37 weeks at birth … and this would not be known until bubby has been delivered and how the delivery goes… so there are many factors that can decide the outcome other than gestational age…
My thoughts are with you… sending good vibes and wishes to you :purple_heart: hope all goes amazingly :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

Prayers and hugs, every birth is different, try to relax, and take it a day at a time

1 Like

37 weeks isn’t considered premature but since you have GD im not sure how it works. Ive had both my babies at 37 and 38 weeks and my sister has had all her kids at 36 weeks or before. Her only one that needed NICU was her youngest born at 33 weeks.

My son was born at 37 weeks induced …he weighed 4lb14oz and apart from jaundice and being under we heat lamp for 20 minutes he was allowed on the ward with me .we did have to stay in for a week al together to monitor his jaundice but after that he was aloud home and thrived … I under stand all babies are different and I didn’t have diabetes…

No, not normally but it depends on how controlled your GD is as well as how it affected your baby. I had my son at 37 weeks bc I had GD. He was in the NICU for a week because he wasn’t able to regulate his own sugar levels. He was born with a zero level, it took him 5 days to balance. I wasn’t able to hold him so breastfeeding was out. Just pump and bottle feed. But he did just fine. He’s a happy, healthy 2 year old now. :blush:

My daughter was 38 weeks. No GD. 7lbs 7oz. No nicu. No issues.

My first didn’t. But he did have stay for 24 hours because he had low blood sugar xx

I have 3 kids n all of them born at 37 weeks. They didnt need to be in NICU. My son did have jaundice so did have to take him to hospital everyday for a week to get blood tested. But besides that no problems…

Btw daughter born at 5.9 pounds n she was able to come home with me. Guess it depends…

My last son was born at 36 weeks, 8 lbs -23 1/2 inches long. He was fully developed and needed no special care.

Really depends on the child, I’ve had friends with babies born at 37 and needed no nicu but occasionally they might if they are poorly. I was told my daughter would need intensive care at 32 weeks until she was considered term, turned out all she needed was a bit more weight and she was home by 34 weeks

I was in the exact situation with my last pregnancy (baby #5) but baby boy ended up coming at 35wks 6days and was born 9 lbs and completely healthy! He had no latching issues, no NICU and sugars were great!! Best of luck momma!

My son was born 35+3 and didn’t need any nicu or other help after born, he was 1,7kg and 42cm, very little but so strong :blue_heart:

Anything less than 37 weeks is termed premature. 37 weeks is early term. I had a c section at 36+5 due to partial placental abruption, she weighed 5lb12 and was classed as premature. If id have gone 2 days later, she’d have been early term. She didnt require any NICU care and was kept by my side. Expect jaundice and sugar level issues as these seem to be more prominent in induced/csection babies.

I was born at 37 weeks and went home the next day. However some babies may need a day or two

I had very bad G.D as well. I had my son via emergency c-section at exactly 38 weeks. 5lbs 5oz. Healthy as can be! No NICU and home after 2 days! I’d say it all depends!

I delivered at 35.6 weeks and he was able to feed easily. He did need time under the lights because he had jaundice.

I guess it just depends on the person but I had my daughter at 37 weeks had to be induced due to preeclampsia and she was born healthy 7lbs 8oz and didn’t need nicu or anything took her home 2 days later.

I was induced at 37 weeks with my now 10 month old due to preclampsia. He was 9lbs and perfectly healthy. The only issues he has was jaundice but never needed the light.

I was induced at 36 weeks due to preeclampsia, my son was 7 lbs 10oz and he didn’t have to go to NICU. I think as long as they are a decent weight, usually over 5 lbs they don’t require the NICU unless something else is wrong.

My daughter was born at 35 weeks & my son was at 34 weeks & neither needed the nicu.

just depends on baby’s weight and how devolved they are usually if they’re a good weight they don’t put them in the NICU

Usually no they don’t unless there is an issue

37 weeks is considered full term.

I had my daughter at 37 weeks via emergency c section and she didn’t need NICU and now she’s a year old

It depends on the baby and how much their vital organs have developed.

It just depends on the baby, but usually during a pregnancy with gestational diabetes the babies are typically bigger, not sure about development but my daughter was born at 35 weeks and was still 6 pounds and was 100 % fine except for a little jaundice. I think it just depends on the situation but they consider anything after 36 weeks relatively full term i was told.

1 Like

He should be fine, all my children came before 37wks, except 1, and they are all healthy and tall

I delivered between 35 and 37 weeks with all 5 of mine and they went home next day. They were all slightly jaundice though so they did need to be under the light.

My son came home the day after with no issues, weighed 5lbs 12 ounces

My 37 weeker was 5lbs 11oz came home the next day

It honestly depends on the baby. My nephew was born at 42 weeks and still had to go to the nicu

I had 2 babies at 38 weeks. Just fine. Both over 6 lbs and no NICU

Depends on the health of the baby at time of delivery. I had my daughter at 35w5d and she was 6.5lbs and perfectly healthy. She latched without issue and we breastfed for 18mo. However, I’ve heard stories of babies who also came that early and needed more care. Also, statically speaking, a baby born at 37/38w doesn’t spend much time (if any) in the NICU unless there are severe complications.

Baby’s born at any gestational age could be in the nicu… but plenty are born even earlier than that and go home in 2 days. My son was born full term and stayed in the nicu.

Just depends on the baby, both my boys where early one 7 weeks and the other 5 weeks, both went home next day. Perfectly health first was 5lbs 13 oz and second 7 lbs

I had a 37 weeker (boy) in the nicu

In NY, of your baby is born at 37 weeks gestation they won’t need to go to the NICU. I had my baby born at 35 weeks… was completely fine but had to stay in NICU for 24 hour observation because she was considered “premature”. I guess it all depends on a case by case really.

I’m type 1 and they delivered both my babies early one at 35 the other at 36 both stayed in the NICU about a week just to be safe and they can make sure they can do everything they are suppose to

Every baby is different. I was induced at 37 weeks and we spent 2 weeks in the NICU.

All 4 of mine were born at 37 weeks. Just had my last yesterday and he is in the NICU because he had some fluid in his lungs. Hoping tomorrow he will be out. He’s the only one of my 4 that has to be.

2-37 weekers and no NICU time needed! Both 6+lbs!

36 weeks is considered full term

Induced at 36 weeks, two nights in hospital and no NICU all depends on the baby I think.

I was induced due to pre-eclampsia and my son was born at 35+6 and no NICU. He was 6 pounds, had no breathing issues, perfectly healthy.

My son was born when I turned 35 weeks and he wasn’t sent to nicu and he was 5 lbs 7.7 oz but in my personal opinion I think he should’ve been cause he’s had lung issues since he was 4 months old.

My 37 weeker was fine no nicu but my 34 weeker spent 5 days in the nicu

I had my daughter at 37 weeks she was 6lbs 8oz no NICU. I think it all just depends on the baby

I would say depends on baby, mine was born 36 weeks and 6 days he went to NICU due to low blood sugar and jaundice but other than that he was fine

I’ve delivered all my babies between 37 and 38 weeks and I went into labor naturally. My last was born 38 weeks and 1 day and weighted 8lbs 12 oz

My 37 week old was 6lbs 15 oz and we both went home the next day

I had a 36 weeker she was fine. Only trouble was maintaining temp …but 48 hours later it was fine

Not usually but obviously there is no guarantee. Some people go full term and still need the NICU.

I believe anything before 35 weeks is premature. Hoping for a smooth delivery and healthy baby!

My 2nd and 3rd baby’s was born at 37 weeks. Perfectly healthy x

Some baby’s need it and some doint need it it depends on the baby and no one else and good luck

Every baby is different. Some at 37w COULD need NICU, but some also wont. It depends on the individual baby’s development.

Not always. Depends on if they have issues or not. Whilst some babies need care, some are completely fine.
Unfortunately my 37 Weeker needed care. But in saying that, he was born via c-section after my waters leaking at 35 Weeks. He had fluid on his lungs and needed c-pap and oxygen for 3-4 days before coming home.

Depends on the situation and the baby. I was induced at 37 weeks with my first and had 0 NICU time

I had 3 of my 4 at less than 39 weeks. My first was on his due date but my 2nd was 38+5
3rd was 38+2
4th was 37+2
None had to be in the NICU it depends on baby.

Depends on the baby. I had mine at 34+4 and 35+3 and both had short nicu stays because they had trouble eating. 36 weeks was the magic number my ob was trying to get me to with my second but they were only ten months apart so my body just went early.

I had a baby at 34 weeks without nicu but than ended in hospital for two days. And my second baby was 38 weeks csection and came right home she was tongue tied and had latching issues

Our son was born at 36 weeks at 6lbs 4 oz. 18 1/2 inches.He was jaundiced other wise he was fine.He stayed 1 night under the blue lights.Came home at 5lbs 4oz .

My 2nd was a 36 weeks 1 day and didn’t need the nicu. He weighed 6 lbs.

Mine was born at 37 weeks and never left my room…so no she didn’t have to go to the NICU