Do babies born at 37 weeks need the NICU?

2 of 3 were born 36 weeks and never left my room

2 of mine were born at 37 weeks and no issues at all

Mine was 36 weeks 4 days no NICU…

I had my son at exactly 37 weeks no NICU. It probably depends on the baby.

My son was born 37 weeks I’m diabetic had a high risk pregnancy and took insulin my whole pregnancy no nicu for him

Nope. Baby should be fine

My son was born at 36 weeks 4 days and he didn’t need any nicu time. He went right after he was born because my hospitals policy was any baby born before 37 weeks has to go to the nicu but he didn’t need to be there and was transferred to my room the next day. He was ready to go home before I was.

Typically no. I have a 34 and 33 weeker and sometimes term babies would come in and stay like a week and then be gone.

My boy was born at 37+1 and was 6lbs 8oz. No nicu. He didn’t feed for a good 10 - 12 hrs as he was tired. They said if I couldn’t get him to feed he’d have to go to nicu. Anyway 3 day hospital stay and we went home at 6lbs 2oz and drank like a champ!

It just depends on the baby. Boys don’t develop as fast as girls so they usually need a little longer inside to help their lungs develop.

My son was born at 37w3d and was in NICU for 4 days. I had GD and he needed 10cc IV sugar water once an hour for 3 days. Day 3 his O2 sats dropped so they had to monitor him on oxygen for 24hrs. He came home day 4 on 2 liters bumped up to 3 liters later that week because we had a huge fire start 3 days after we brought him home.

My daughter was born at 37. Little jaundice and that was it.

My babe was 36 weeks on the dot, born 8lbs healthy lungs latched fine and didn’t need nicu

Mine were all born around 36 weeks and didnt go to the NICU

I had my daughter at 35 weeks and 5 days along and all she needed in NICU was UV light because she was slightly jaundiced. She’s fine, she was a healthy baby and now 6 years old. Super smart, too. I think it’ll be just fine.

My baby girl was fine and she was two and a half weeks early. Perfectly healthy :heart:

My 2 boys were born at 37 weeks and 1 spent 4 days in the NICU and one only spent 1 night because they were both jaundice and had some breathing issues, other than that they were healthy!

Depends on baby. I had my son at 35 weeks due to severe preeclampsia. He was 5lbs 10oz. Had to learn to not be sleepy and to eat on his own. He latched to breastfeed but they was also bottle feeding him. He was in nicu 8 days. I was too overwhelmed with him to continue to bf as he was my first and I couldn’t stand for him to cry. So I pumped with him. My daughter was born at 38 weeks. No issues. 8lbs 12oz no nicu. However I know a girl my age who had a child at 34 weeks. Baby was 4lbs and I can’t remember the ounces but he had no nicu stay.

Some might but my daughter was born via emergency induction at 36 weeks and didn’t need NICU

My son was born at 37+2 and didn’t require a NICU stay.

I’m in the same boat. Was just diagnosed with gestational diabetes and on top of it have gestational hypertension and persistent tachycardia. I am being induced at 37 weeks and I am 31+4 right now. My high risk OB has me checking my blood sugar 4 times a day but is trying to avoid putting me on insulin and we’re trying a diet change first. I am still curious about nicu stay and how the health of my baby girl is going to be.

Any baby at any gestation can end up in the NICU. There is no way to tell.

what did your dr say

My youngest was born at 37w1d d/t PIH and late decels on NST, no nicu. Now he’s 6mo and 22#, you’d never know he was 2d shy of preemie :sweat_smile:

Delivered at 36 weeks, he was 5 lbs 10 ounces and all he needed was time under the light. We did have to stay a little longer because we were having trouble getting him to feed, but other than that there were no issues

My second daughter was born at 37 weeks and she came home the next day

I was induced at 36 weeks because of preeclampsia my boy came out fine he had incubator for like 24 hours then I was able to hold him and feed him went home next day :two_hearts: he was 6lbs 1oz

My son was born at 37.5 weeks, 7lbs 13oz. NICU team was there when he was born but walked out when he took his first cry. Never needed help with anything. Good luck momma, you got this.

My son was 3 weeks early, 9# 15 oz, and spent 2.5 weeks in the NICU

Less then 5 pounds need to go in the NICU is what my ob told me but every dr is different

I had my son at 38 weeks and had preeclampsia I was induced ended in c section and he came out perfectly healthy good luck to u and ur baby

I had bubs at 37 weeks, due to my waters breaking (they booked me in for a csection the day my waters broke before I went into labour), (I was due to have csection a week later due to 2 previous csections…

They took my son to the nicu for a sugar test an gave him a feed of formula for me to give him right away when he got back, (they just said even if I breastfeed they will still have to give him formula has they needed to make sure he drank the formula… then they took him another 2 times about half hour apart, an gave him more formula but was fine after that… they said his sugar was a tiny bit low… but was fine after a few feeds… I was tested for ges diabetes’s when I was pregnant but was told I was fine, but another dr when I was 36 weeks said my tests were boarderline so I should have actually been watching them

My son was born at 37+4 weighing 6lbs 1.4oz and never went to nicu or nursery… he stayed right in my room the whole time… he was born at 1:45am on 11/2/15 and we went home at 6pm on 11/3/15

If your baby comes out fine then no if there are
Complicates afterwards then yes but 37 wks is okay

38 weeks doesn’t require nicu my son was born at 38 weeks and was just fine!

I had gestational diabetes. I was induced at 38 weeks. He was immediately put on the CPAP machine cuz his lungs were under developed. He was on the machine til the next morning then removed. He was in the NICU for 5 days. He had to be fed by feeding tube because he wouldn’t latch to the bottle nipple. I wasn’t able to breastfeed. I didn’t produce anything. After 5 days he ate the correct amount ounces so he was discharged.

I had my last son at 36/6. He was perfectly healthy and got to go home with me the day after I had him

I had my son at 37 weeks he was 8 pounds 6 ounces he didn’t need the NICU I guess depends on how much the baby is weighing at that point an how well their doing with breathing and feeding.

My youngest was 5 1/2 weeks early… No NICU

My daughter came 3 weeks early and very healthy

My daughter was 36 week 1 day, son 37 2 day neither had to stay in nicu. Daughter did have temp and sugar issues tho

I just had my daughter on the 17th, was 38 weeks. She was 7 pounds 10 ounces and we went home the day after I had her. All babies are different. Good luck mama!

My hospital had a 5 pound 35 week rule. My son was born 27 weeks 2 pounds and spent 105 days in NICU. My daughter was born 34 weeks at 5 pounds, she stayed 1 week in NICU

I had my baby at 34 weeks she was 4#6oz 21 inches long 4 days in nicu… and only because they meds they had to give me for my blood pressure caused her to be born with hypothermia… she is now 13 and amazing

No ur baby will be fine

No. We came home the next day

Not always. I was induced right on the cusp of 38 weeks and my baby was born 4pds 11 oz and was perfectly fine. I took her home 2 days later.

I have 4 babies. Each born at different weeks. One was 35, one 36, one 32, an my last one at 37. The only one who had problems was my 32 week baby. He was in the NICU for 3 weeks. He had to learn to suck an swallow. My 37 week baby was just under a light for a couple hours. Don’t stress yourself momma. Everything will work out for you

I had my youngest son at 37 weeks because of being diabetic and blood sugar. He didn’t have to go. We had a little problem with his sugar going to low. I was trying to breastfeed and it wasn’t happening. So had to give him formula. He will be 9 months Friday. No problems. He is a healthy.

Depends on the baby’s individual development. My brother needed a NICU at 5 weeks early but 37-38 weeks is almost early term so I’m sure it’ll be fine.

My kids were born, 1 at 36 weeks, 1 at 38, and 3 at 37. (In that order.) None needed any NICU. All were fully formed, strong lungs, and came home the next day. All perfectly healthy kiddos today.

Depends on babe. I’ve had a 37 weeker no NICU. 36 weeker NICU for 10 days. 38 weeker no NICU

Both of my children were born at 38 weeks they never spent time in NICU

Not at 37 no 39-no NICU, 32-no NICU, but one day stay for jaundice, 38- NO NICU, 37 NO NICU, 2x31-NICU 30 days, 36 weeks-NO NICU.

All 3 of my kids were born at 37 weeks and none of them were in NICU. That is considered term, at least it was when I had mine.

All 2/3 of mine were 37 weeks on the head and they were fine. My first had a mild case of jaundice but that’s where any issues stopped! Never had a nice baby!

I had my daughter at 37 weeks 5 days at 6lbs 7oz and she was just fine. I just had my little man on the 26th at exactly 37 weeks. He was born at 5lbs 3oz and is considered a late premi but was able to come home the next day because everything turned out just fine we are just working on making sure we continue to gain weight :blush:

37 weeks is still considered “full term”, you should be fine. However, talk to your doctor if you’re concerned.

Typically, no. My youngest was 37 weeks 5 days. We scheduled my middle for 38 weeks, there were medical reasons. At 37 weeks most would be just fine.

I was induced at 36 weeks and had a perfectly healthy baby girl. The nurses gave her extra attention at night because she was so early and woke me for feedings but that was it. She latched immediately and we have been nursing for 10 months so far :blush:

I had my daughter at 37 weeks and was fine went home next day my son was 35 weeks but he was in neonatal but he breathing problems otherwise he would have been fine to.go.home too

Nope they won’t need to be in NICU, unless there is a problem my first son was born at 37 weeks natural labor

My son was 20 days early so right at 37 weeks and he was perfect

Usually 37 week babies don’t need NICU. Yes they will typically latch just fine also. I have 7 kids, 2 born at 35 weeks, 2 at 37 weeks, one at 40 weeks, one at 41 weeks and one at 42 weeks. None needed NICU. They all came home within 24 hours of birth. My first 35 weeker was the one one who I had issues latching because his mouth was too small, however I was still able to breastfeed him. It just was harder at first. He was only 5lbs 8oz at birth. Your baby will be fine.

Totally depends baby-baby. But 37-38 weeks typically doesn’t need NICU. Obviously some do, but some babies also need NICU time cause they’re not fully developed at 39/40 weeks.

37 +weeks shouldn’t need a nicu I think they develop the suck reflex at about 35 weeks Hang in there momma

I had my daughter at 36weeks 3days, scheduled c section. She didn’t pass her car seat test so she did about 48hrs in the NICU. That was her only issue. She was born tiny 5lbs 7oz. They should give you steriods shots to help the babies lung before delivery.

I had problems with my blood sugar and got induced at 37 weeks. No nicu time. But they had to stop labor twice before and I got the shots to help his lungs mature

My baby came out a whole month and a week early due to complications with preclampsia. He was born small had to spend all of 2 hours in the ICU just cause of the medication i had been given, and hes great left a day later with no complications

I was induced 37&5 for gestational hypertension and my little one didn’t need any nicu time. She was 7lbs15oz and healthy as could be

It should be fine dont worry

No. Mine was 37 weeks. 5lb 13 oz. Healthy

Mine was born at 36 weeks and didn’t need the nicu.

I had my son at 37 weeks exactly and was given a steroid for his lungs. He did have jaundice which made our stay longer but that solely depends on the hospital.

Both my daughters were born at exactly 37 weeks and were fine! One weighed 6lbs and the other was 8lbs.

Had my daughter at exactly 37 weeks. No NICU time :slight_smile:

I was induced at 36 weeks for sever preclamsia. They gave me steroid shots in my hips to help develop my daughters lungs. When she was born her sugars were low but thats because I had been in labor for more than 48 hours on magnesium for almost a week. She was perfectly fine and the NICU head nurse did come in to monitor her breathkng but did not take her. They did skin to skin and she was perfectly healthy. She came in at 6lbs 5oz. If you want to message me feel free!

Both of my girls born at 36 weeks with zero issues and no NICU

It all just depends on the baby, but typically no. My son was born at 35+6 and didn’t need any NICU time.

1 Like

My son was born at 38 weeks exactly and didn’t need the NICU. The only issue he had was regulating his temperature but we just did skin to skin with warm blankets :relaxed::blue_heart:

Its definitely depends on the baby. My son was 36 weeks and didn’t need the nicu. My daughter was 34 weeks and spent a week in the nicu. She was 5 pounds and the biggest baby there.

I’m a nurse in an NICU and 37 weeks doesn’t automatically mean admission to NICU. It’s all up to what your baby can do😉

1 Like

Both my kids were born at 37 weeks via induction and neither needed to go to the nicu. They never left my side! My son was 6lbs 9oz and 19 inches long my daughter was 7lbs 11oz and 20 inches long. Healthy as can be :heart:

I had twins at 37 weeks, 5lb 4oz and 5lb 6oz. One needed the sunbed for a little while but no time away from me. Both fully healthy. If they are inducing you early they will give you something to help develop the baby’s lungs. From what I remember, with gestational diabetes the last couple of weeks (36-40) babies can put weight on quickly and it can then cause other problems.
Good luck, and hope all goes well x

1 Like

I was induced with my little man exactly 37 weeks due to pre-eclampsia. He was NICU for 3 days. He was absolutely fine. They took him just in case and wouldnt release over the weekend. :slightly_smiling_face:

It all depends on the baby. If the baby is healthy, there shouldn’t be an issue. My youngest two, I delivered at 39 weeks. My oldest two(twins) I delivered at 34 weeks. I was told they would probably need to be in NICU. They were born at 34 weeks and weighed in at 5lbs 8oz and 4lbs 11oz. The doctor said the bigger of the two would most likely be able to go home, but the smaller twin would need to stay. After checking them out, all 3 of us and Dad headed home 2 days later.

1 Like

They’re considered full term at 36 weeks if I’m not mistaken, but it depends on the baby really, even full term babies have to be in the NICU sometimes. It all depends.

My daughter was born at 36 weeks and didn’t require the nicu

I delivered my 2nd son at 36 weeks 5 days he was 7lbs 1oz and didn’t spend any time in the NICU…

My daughter was induced after 40 weeks and was in the NICU for glucose maintenance, she was 6lb 1oz when she was born but I was about 100lb when I got pregnant. It honestly depends on the baby, it’s not really something you can plan for

My baby was born at 37 weeks exactly and was 7 lbs 4 oz and 100% healthy

My daughter was 37 weeks, sorta planned c section, and had no NICU time. She was considered to be preemie because she was small. 5lbs 8oz at birth. She was ready to go home before I was. I am a Type 1 diabetic for the majority of my life and also had preeclampsia.

I had my last 2 children at around 38 weeks and they were both happy, healthy, and fully latched for feeding. I would talk to your doctor, but you should be completely fine and so should your little one

I had my baby at 37 weeks well was induced i had gestational diabetes and took insulin and was also high risk. After i had my baby they checked her blood sugars and if it went below a certain number they had to take her to the NICU it was something like if it dropped below 45 they would retest in an hour and see if it went up but she did good and didn’t need the NICU but it might be different at the hospital you deliver.

I had my daughter at 37 weeks exactly and she didnt need Nicu. Depends on baby and circumstances I think. I had to csection because she was breech abd her head growth was way behind her body because of her head being constricted in my rib cage.

My youngest was born at 36 weeks because of pre eclampsia and was fine but small even with a triple tie of the cord around his neck. Never did a day in nicu

My baby was born at 37 weeks and is already 30 pds at 7mths old. He was born and was perfect at 8.4 pds :slight_smile: good luck

I had c section at 36wks due to preeclampsia. NICU was in delivery room and did check him over, gave him a little oxygen but I was holding him and nursing him before he was an hour old. We went home in 4 days. I think it all depends on the baby.

I had a baby at 38 weeks, 3 days via c-section. She did not need the NICU, but she was jaundiced. Good luck to you!

1st was 37 weeks 5lbs 5oz, 2nd was 37wks 2 days 5lbs 11oz, 3rd 36wks 4 days 5lbs 5oz all healthy.