Do babies born at 37 weeks need the NICU?

Not always! My son was born last week at 37 weeks no NICU and we got to go home the next day :slight_smile: he was 8lbs and 21inches long!

My daughter was born at 37 weeks and she was fine

36w4 and 36w5 didn’t need it

My niece was overdue and did

My son was 36 weeks and 6 days. They considered him one day early(preemie), but he was 7lbs 1oz and definitely not small.

This is really a question for your doctor specific to yours and the baby’s own health, not a question for random people on the Internet.

I had preeclampsia with my 1st child and had her at 37 weeks. I was induced at 36 weeks, 4-5 days. Didn’t spend time in the nicu. This time I’m scheduled for 38 weeks and I hope it’s before then. Not sure how much longer I can last lol. Also have gestational diabetes but was able to control with diet.

I’m sorry you have to have insulin shots. :slightly_frowning_face:

I was induced at 38w exactly and my son came 26h later. Only issue with him was some jaundice, but my complications had me in the hospital for a full week so they put him under the lights for a bit and all was well :blue_heart:

I had my daughter at 36 weeks 6 days and she was healthy. No NICU needed.

It depends… My 3 month old was born at 37 weeks on the dot and he ended up in the NICU for 5 days because he had fluid in his lungs.

My middle child was born at 36 weeks and he never went to the NICU so your little one may not need it

37 weeks is full term. Unless they have blood sugar or a few other issues, shouldn’t be any nicu time at all.

My daughter was born at 37wks and was perfectly fine. Her birth mother was induced due to severe kidney problems. She was 7lbs 3oz. No nicu. No issues thus far (shes 2 now and super smart!)

I was induced at 38 weeks with my 2nd son (5lbs 5 oz) and 37 weeks with my daughter(5lbs 4 oz). They both did not go in NICU. My niece was born at 37 weeks for emergency csection and was in NICU for a couple days. It really depends on the baby and delivery.

It honestly depends on the baby I had a 34 weekend who needed no nicu time but I have seen babies born full term need nicu

My daughter was born 37 weeks 3 days (ish) and was perfectly fine :two_hearts:

Depends… my youngest was 38 weeks and didnt need to stay in the nicu

My first babe was born at 5wks 1 day early and he had to be a glow worm for two days but never went to nicu he was 5lbs 15oz

My son was born at 38 weeks weighing 8 pounds and 21 inches long. I didnt have gestational diabetes though.

All 3 of mine have been 37-38 weeks, no NICU

My baby was born 37 +1 and weighed 8lbs 8 Oz :purple_heart: no nicu or anything

My daughter was 37-1/2 weeks. She was perfectly healthy. No NiCU.

I had my baby 37 weeks c section and she was perfectly healthy. Had fetus diabetus too, but no insulin. Diet controlled

My son was born at 38 weeks. I had steroid shots fkr his lungs a few days before he was born. He came out just fine. No issues

Both my kids were 37. Neither nicu

I had my 1st at 36 weeks and didn’t have her in the nicu or my 2nd at 38 weeks

My first was 37 weeks 3 days and weighed 4lbs 7oz and didn’t need the NICU at all and was fully developed. She was just little. I’m currently pregnant with my second and this little girl is looking to follow in her sisters footsteps and they have told me they will induce with her around 37-38 weeks just like my first more than likely

I also had GD but for some reason, my daughter was too small. She was born at 38 weeks weighing only 5 pounds. No nicu stay, she came home with us.

Both of my kids were born at 36w 3d and neither of them spent any time in NICU. My son was 4lbs 10oz and my daughter 5lbs 13oz and both came home with me. I got steroid shots with both to help develop their lungs and they’re both perfect!

Mine came early on his own at 36 weeks and weighed 8# and I had gestational diabetes also, no nicu. It’s all going to depend on baby’s weight and health.

Had my son at 36 weeks and 3 days no nicu perfectly healthy! He was 5.8 lbs

My son was born at 37 weeks exactly via csection.He only went to the NICU for 2 days because he had some fluid in his lungs which is common with a csection. If i had a vaginal birth he wouldnt have gone at all. He was 7lbs 6oz

So my son was 37 and a half weeks. Yes he stayed in the NICU but that wasnt cause of his age. He was healthy…I had a 33 hour labour and it was really hard on us. He ended up swallowing his poop. Thank goodness he ended up okay. He was only in the NICU for 2 days. They gave him antibiotics and he was perfect. After the NICU he has been perfectly healthy

Heya i have been in the same boat i had my girl at 38 weeks due to gestational diabetes with being induced They are full grown. Just remember with gestational diabetes ur baby can be alot faster growing than some babys so will still come out a heathly weight. Only time they will worry is if they come out with low blood sugar or have any other complications.

Typically babies born at 37/38 weeks are healthy and happy. 36 weeks is considered full term. The problem with diabetic babies is even though they may be adequate size or even on the bigger size on the outside, some of the organs can take a little longer to reach optimal size. If there is any question, an amniocentesis can be done to check the baby’s lungs. I had one around 35 weeks and found there was a 99% chance my baby would need a vent after birth bc his lungs hadn’t matured, despite his body being so big. So, he had to “cook” until he was 39 weeks and a c-section was scheduled. I pray all goes well for you and your little one!

1 Like

My daughter was born at 36 weeks weighing 4 pounds & they gave me a steroid shot for her lungs a couple weeks before and she was a perfect healthy little girl :upside_down_face:

My 3rd baby came at 36 weeks, was small at 5lb 9 oz…his lungs struggled for a little bit but ended up not needing a nicu! Just stay positive, you’ll do beautifully!

I had my last one June 1st at 37+2 and he was fully developed and weighed 7 lbs 15 ounces!! It all just depends on baby

They can have latch issues anything prior to 40 weeks. Contact an LC or IBCLC or LLL to ease your mind.

Daughter was born at 37 weeks +2 days and is perfectly healthy. No nicu.

Depends I had my daughter at 36 weeks bc my water broke or I would have been induced at 39 weeks

My little boy was born at 37+1 he weighed 6lb 4oz and nothing was wrong left day after with my little one x

My son was 37 weeks and his lungs were fully developed. He was fine

We didn’t. Our hospital said under 6lbs they do

My baby was 37 weeks came out perfectly fine. No NICU and he was c-section. The only problem was he didn’t wanna suck his formula but I was showed how to help with that.

My daughter 4 years prior was nothing but complications me and her both she didn’t come out breathing and I bled out. But after a week we were able to go home

There still considered full term at 2 weeks early (38 weeks) and my daughter was born at 38 weeks super healthy

My baby was born at 32 weeks and didn’t need NICU. It all depends on the baby

I had gestational diabetes and went into labor at 37 weeks. My baby was big and spent 15 days in the NICU

My youngest was born 37w and was 6lbs 4oz and completely fine. I’m having my csection this Sunday and I’ll be 37w again with our 4th baby. :slight_smile: our twins were 31w when they were born.

I had twins at 37+5 and went home the next day with them

My first was born 36+5 and only 5lbs 5 oz. no nicu and went home the next day

It depends on baby and if they have any complications I had preeclampsia with my 2 youngest with my daughter will be 6 tomorrow when I went to 36 week check up I was already 6cm dilated had c-section an hour later she was fine and didnt need Nicu didnt even have steriod shot for her lungs with my 3 year old they gave me 2 steriod shots at 32 weeks for his lungs at 37 weeks my preeclampsia was putting me in jeopardy so they did C-section he didn’t need Nicu either

My son was born at 37 weeks, 5lbs 1oz. He didn’t need an NICU time but had a really difficult time learning to latch to the breast so we had to bottle feed breast milk.

My daughter was induced at 36 weeks and didn’t need to be in the NICU. She actually latched on right away after being born.

I was induced at 37 weeks with my daughter due to preeclampsia. She was healthy and no nicu. She’ll be one on 8/20. Since they induced early, I did have to have 2 steroid shots with in 24 hours a week and a half before having her to make sure her lungs were strong enough.

I had my first at 37 and second at 38, both completely healthy with zero issues

I had my second the day he was 36 wks and was fine

My daughter was born almost 6 weeks early. 4lbs 10oz. She went home with me. No extra days on the hospital. But that was 19 years ago. Not sure if protocol has changed.

A baby at 37 weeks is normally considered full term :slight_smile: so if everything is fine, yes. But there are exceptions if the baby is too small or something

My daughter was induced at 36 weeks. And was born in Sunday She was 4 41\2 lbs I came home in Wednesday and she came home in Friday. She was perfect.

Generally speaking no but every situation is different

I went in for a check up at 36 weeks 4 days, they found out i had pre-eclampsia and wanted an emergency c section. He was 4lbs 9ozs. That was 3 weeks ago and were still having an issue latching to eat

I had my first at 37 she was healthy

I had my baby at 36 weeks because of preeclampsia. No nicu time :slightly_smiling_face: he was a premmie because he was 5lbs 6ozs and 21 inches but no issues. No c section either

My son was born at 36 weeks. No nicu needed.

My daughter was 37 weeks and she was 5 pounds when we left the hospital. She was healthy and didn’t need to stay in the NICU. I was induced and had steroid shots at 30 weeks to ensure she wouldn’t have any issues with breathing. She did have low blood sugar so she needed to have formula right away because I wasn’t getting much breast milk. So I unfortunately couldn’t breastfeed because she became used to a bottle and sucking from a bottle is easier than a boob.

Both my boys were born at 37 weeks. One was 37 to the day and the other 37 weeks 2 days. Both were perfectly fine .

My first was born at 37 weeks and she weight 7pounds and 6oz and ni NICU

Induced at 37 week on the dot for a heart issue that was found during my pregnancy (mine not baby).
They had warned me that the nicu was a possibility but she came out perfect at 6 pounds and we were all released from the hospital 2 days later. They consider 37 weeks full term which is why if mothers health is a concern they will induce that early. The only thing that was different from her as my first born (who came at 38 weeks on the dot all on her own) was that she was sleepy and we had to put on the production to keep her awake to eat enough and she was a lot more limbs because she was only 6 pounds. But it was the best thing for my pregnancy to have her so I’m glad we didn’t wait any longer :slightly_smiling_face:

My bitty was born at 38 weeks… She was fine.

I had twins at 37 weeks exactly and neither of them had any nicu time thank god :heart:

I had my first at 37 and second at 38 , both were healthy :palms_up_together:t2:

I had both of my kids at 36 weeks and one day. My son was 7 lbs and my daughter 6lbs they were both fine no NICU. I guess my body just decides to be done with pregnancy at 36 and one day :woman_shrugging:t3::joy:

I had gestational diabetes and on insulin with both my children and was induced with my son (my first) at exactly 38 weeks, and a scheduled c-section with my daughter at exactly 38 weeks. Both were born very healthy. My son was 7lb7oz and my daughter was 8lb2oz. With gestational diabetes your babies are bigger and risk contracting glucose issues toward the end so that’s why they do it early. I had very hard pregnancies and had to have a lot of extra ultrasounds and both of them were already developed fully and almost birth weight at 37 weeks. Dont worry momma I’m sure your little one will be fine. Prayers for a safe and happy delivery. Hang in there.

I’m also diabetic. My 2nd baby was born at 37 weeks and spent 10 days in NICU due to premature lungs.

My 3rd was also born at 37 weeks and he was fine.

Best wishes, mama!

Normally 37 weeks would be a healthy baby, but if you have gestational diabetes, your baby’s blood sugar could be effected, which could require NICU time. Or it might not. There’s no way to know until he/she is born.

I went into labor at 37 weeks and my daughter was 8lb 8oz 21 inches long

Because of your diabetes situation the Doctor may want to watch the baby close in NICU. But even at 36 weeks babies are ok to deliver and it’s called full term also.

My son was born at 37 weeks due to preeclampsia. He was 7lbs 5.5oz. He had no NICU time.

Both my kids were born at 37 weeks. No NICU time. Healthy.

Had mine at 36 weeks and he went home 2 days later

my daughter was born at just over 33 weeks more healthy then me, she weighed 4.11, she only needed few hours under heat lamp

37 weeks is considered early term so no need to worry.

I work in L&D and full term is 36-40 weeks. As long as close to 5lbs and healthy lungs no need for NICU

I had gestational diabetes and went to my due date and he was 9 lbs. Even he was put in NICU overnight because he was c-section.

It depends every baby is different but they do consider you term at 37 weeks but their alot of factors that go into the baby going into the nicu like breathing and what have you just depends on the baby and their development . My lilly was 40 weeks on the dot and she didnt have the hang of suckling yet when she was born so she gave me an issue eating so they gave me a binki to have her practice on didnt have that issue with my older two and they were born at 39 and 38 weeks now she didnt need the NICU but that was a example of how babies who were all born at different weeks can just develop a little different.

Every baby is different… Both my grandkids were emergency c sections at barely 35 weeks and they were both over 5.5 lbs and neither had to be in NICU

My second was born at 36 weeks and we left the hospital within 24 hours of being delivered. Im also being induced at 37 weeks cause of high risk problems and I don’t imagine we will need the NICU.

I just had my first baby, I also had gestational diabetes but I didn’t have to take medications. I had my baby at 35 weeks exactly. My husband & I were not ready at all, I had just been to the dr 2 days prior to going into labor for a nonstress test which they said was perfect. The hospital gave me a steroid shot to help her lungs develop more & I had her only a few hours after getting the shot. She was 5lbs 10oz. Fortunately, my baby did not have to go to the NICU. She was a little jaundice, which I later learned is a lot more common than people think. 60% of full term babies & 80% of premature babies end up with it. It took her a few days to figure out how to latch to me but the key is to continuously try, don’t get discouraged & give up. Also, as hard as it might be try not to stress yourself out.

My youngest was born at 35 weeks and his blood sugar was only 16 at birth so he had to go to the NICU to be monitored

37 weeks is full term❤️

Not usually at 37 weeks. If the baby is undersized and having difficulties breathing then yes your baby will be taken to nicu. Babies that are the cause of gestational diabetes are generally bigger babies. The midwifes/doctors don’t want a stressful birth which can caused by bigger babies getting stuck or too long in labour

I had a bad flu & the hard coughing made my water break at 36 weeks with my son. He was 5 lbs, 14 oz but healthy. No NICU. I will say, I felt like he had a hard time latching & sucking on bottle or pacifier at first.

I had my son at 38 weeks. My son is happy healthy and reached all of he’s milestones on time or just before. He latched on to breastfeeding straight away (I had no clue what I was doing but he sure did). My son didn’t need to go to the NICU and we left hospital two days after he was born.

My son was born at 37 weeks (5lb1oz) and he spent a week in the NICU. Ask your doctors about it as mine were able to give me a lot of heads up that he was going to be there, and every baby is different. I was really scared about it, but it ended being a really good experience. The support and guidance I received from the nurses, doctors and staff was invaluable. Further more in our hospital here, both his father and I had 24 hour access. With Covid regulations only one of us could go at a time, but my son had a parent there for every feeding, and we were able to spend just as much time with him as we would have if he was in the room with us. They also extended my admittance so I could be in the hospital with him. I opted not to breastfeed but many of the other mothers there did, likely you will be able to as well. Best of luck mama :two_hearts:

I had gestational diabetes, my 1st (2yr old) I was induced at 37wks born at 8lb 9oz he went to NICU overnight to be monitored as he struggled breathing when cord was cut, he was brought back to me next morning. I had forceps and had been in labour for few days. 2nd baby (12wks old) again I had gestational diabetes I was told they had stopped inducing people before 39wks (unless absolutely necessary) due to them not classing full term until 39wks now so I was induced at 39wks and he was fine born 8lb 15oz. No NICU. I think baby’s born at 37 can be fine it just depends on the circumstances and birth. Good luck with everything x

I had my daughter at 36 weeks she was fine went home in 2 days

It depends on the baby and the birth center. My son came out at 39 weeks exactly 6lbs and I was told if he was under 6 he would have been in the nicu even tho he was considered full term and healthy. Talk with your doctor, they will know best on what the birth centers guidelines are. Good luck! Your baby will be well taken care of regardless if nicu is needed or not. The birth center will be piled with all kinds of medical staff who are there to ensure everyone is healthy. You got this momma!

1 Like

Think about it this way if you where to go into labor anytime after 37 weeks the drs wouldn’t prevent it. They consider it early, but still full term. However every baby is different and every pregnancy is different.

I had to be induced at 37 weeks with my fourth baby. She was my smallest (6lbs) but perfectly healthy, and breastfed fine! Good luck, I’m sure your bubba will be fine! Xxx

They should be doing an amniocentesis to check lung development before delivery

Got induced at exactly 37 weeks last pregnancy and daughter was healthy went home with me 24 hours later