Do I have a right to be annoyed that my neighbors are so loud?

I have lived in my apartment for 5 years, I’ve had a total of 3 neighbors that lived above me and never had an issue, there’s this new family above me and I don’t complain on the kids running around during the day because that’s expected but my issue is they’re up all night running around I don’t start to get upset until it’s about 11 at night and they’re still going crazy up there, I believe she has 2 kids ones probably 5 and the other 2 it definitely sounds like there’s more kids up there but anyways am I wrong for getting upset? I have got my broom and hit the ceiling before but this was because the kids were running and jumping at 2 in the morning and this didn’t stop until 4am that night, I’m 100% aware I live in an apartment and it’s bound to happen but I definitely feel the kids shouldn’t be going crazy past 11.

138 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Do I have a right to be annoyed that my neighbors are so loud?

I would try to work it out between the two of you first before going to the landlord. Between now and then, keep a record of everything.

4 Likes

Wowww so full of energy :rofl: so Weres the parents while the kids are having fun at all hrs of night :face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes

I would visit the neighbor to let her know the noise is bothering you.

1 Like

I would contact the leasing office.

3 Likes

LOL! You’re THAT kind of neighbour? Instead of communicating like a grown adult, you’d rather bump their floor? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

Yall act like the parents aren’t trying to put there kids to bed … how do you know she isn’t upset about it too. Yall are do quick to judge it’s crazy. Instead of getting on Facebook and asking strangers WALK UPSTAIRS AND TALK TO YOUR NEIGHBOR. Explain how you feel … take it from there

4 Likes

I’d go up and talk to them about it (record the convo on a call recorder just in case) and then if she don’t get it under control, go to management.

Our manager prefers us tenants Voice recording (and it’s legal) to protect ourselves as residents so nobody can say we threatened them etc.

1 Like

What does the landlord say about this situation? I wouldn’t be able to handle it for more than one occurrence!!!

1 Like

You can either - go up and talk kindly or go to the leasing office

1 Like

Maybe her kids are on the spectrum… I know I have a very hard time with my 3.5 year old who’s on the spectrum… he just won’t settle unless I give him melatonin… and I don’t want to do that every night as I’m pretty sure it’s what causes his nightmares…
Don’t be so quick to judge… go and meet them… Let her explain … stop banging with ur broom tho… that’s so immature for a grown woman to do …

4 Likes

You have the right to feel anyway you feel.
I personally would.be super annoyed if the children were up all night running around…but unfortunately with apartment living there’s not much you can do… contact your landlord see if they can talk to the neighbors or try to talk to them yourself.

Happens where I live. Neighbors and their kids sleep ALL day. And as soon as 8pm starts, they are all outside screaming and yelling. I try not to be too upset about it, though, because I do get to blare my surround sound all night on my TV if I choose without anyone calling in a noise complaint.

1 Like

I lived un an upstairs apartment when my daughters were small and it was hell… my daughters were very active. In the streets I would control them but at home I would give them a little more freedom. It wasn’t easy . The lady downstairs constantly hit the ceiling. The problem is if they are as active as mine were… good luck…talk to her although she will probably not be able to do much. Kids shouldn’t be punished for being kids.

4 Likes

At that time, yes you have a right. My son is autistic and is a jumper and for that reason am fully aware I’m lucky to be on a ground floor. But he also is in bed by 10.

3 Likes

You should try to talk to your new neighbor and let them know that the kids are running around at all hours of the night, while people are usually trying to sleep! Maybe they’re sleeping down the hall and can’t hear them like you can :woman_shrugging: that’s so annoying. And if it doesn’t get better then go to landlord and file a complaint :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

So you’ve made 0 effort to actually talk with said neighbor and you’d rather just bang on the ceiling risking damaging ur own property than be an adult and go…talk? How do u know she isn’t struggling with getting them to sleep? I have a 4 and 16month old and my 4yr old has adhd and some nights refuse to go to sleep before 9 if not til midnight 1am because he is always so full of energy. I don’t like to anymore than I’m sure my neighbors do but they don’t say or do anything about it because they have kids of their own and get it. Maybe have a talk with the parents instead of being rude.

you always have a right to feel however you want to feel.

1 Like

Don’t listen to anyone who says you’re being ridiculous- it’s insanely frustrating - I work from home and had people stomping jumping all hours of the day and night- I fully understand it’s hard to control when you have kids but that’s why you get a ground floor apt - go talk to them especially if the timing is unreasonable - I could barely stand it during the day it’s awful

1 Like

I’m sure she’s right there with you. Im sure she’d love her kids to go to bed without incidence.

You think banging the broom is gonna effectively help? Get a grip. Either go and have an adult conversation, or stay miserable.

Childish behavior yet expect the kids to act grown.

12 Likes

You absolutely have a right to be upset. Typically in an apartment setting quiet time starts at 11 PM. I would think this would apply inside also. It’s understandable that kids are going to be noisy occasionally but when it’s happening every night, yes I’d be irritated too. Have you tried talking to your neighbor?

1 Like

You can report it to the rent office and they will get with your neighbor…

1 Like

File a complaint with your leasing office or approach the neighbor. I wouldn’t approach them in a negative way bc that will get you no where. Just politely say it’s been keeping you awake at night for some time now.

1 Like

I will only rent upper units after living in a few bottom units. I can not stand any sounds above my head like that, so I chose the top floor.

I lived in an apartment ONCE while looking to buy a house and new neighbors upstairs had kids. I realized kids run and play. When I saw them bring in an inside trampoline that was the last straw. Yes we bought a house and moved. I’m sorry. Some people just don’t care while others try. Apartment living is a must sometimes however it’s usually not a good situation.

2 Likes

I bet the parents are trying to put them to bed and they’re just not listening. I have five kids and mine are the same way most nights with couple of them. Don’t bump the ceiling, just go talk to the parents in person. Maybe they’ll be nice and explain why the kids was up having a good time.

Yes anybody would be annoyed by that! Even though you’re in an apartment, so are they and they should be respectful of neighbors!

If you go and talk to the parent, I would take someone with you as a witness. People are unstable these days and she could say you threatened her, etc. Sadly, there have been people shot over complaining about too loud music. And there are people who get crazy over their kids (why are you coming at my kid, my baby doesn’t do anything to bother you, how dare you tell me how to parent).
If someone doesn’t understand that at 2 or 4 am loud noises could bother a neighbor, you are already dealing with someone interesting already to say the least.

And this isn’t just apartments. We have some folks in our neighborhood that crank up music very late and it is houses. One poor elderly lady in the area has a rude bunch next to her that would crank up music, going into all hours of the morning. Scream, party, drink and scream some more. I understand one night she called her daughter crying saying she couldn’t sleep, they drink day after day screaming, there is a language barrier, and the music was through the roof. Nowhere in the house to escape it. The daughter called police and then put up the address on a community board inviting people to come party at the house. After that, it pretty much stopped.

Kids that age shoukd be in bed by 8-9.

5 Likes

Tell the complex manager, I’ve had to do the same thing since I moved into my new apartment because the people upstairs sound like they have a couple horses and it doesn’t start until after 9 o’clock every night I never hear them during the day, it’s literally like they never go to sleep and I never see them outside. Once I said something it stopped for a while but it’s been picking up again and I don’t want to seem like a bitchy asshole but I have two small children and I can’t explain how loud it is. It’s overly loud. I’d just Say something nicely about it and see if that helps first

Children that age should be in bed for sure. Doesn’t anyone work in that apartment? I would just ask politely if they could keep the kids quiet after 11.

Most cities have a noise ordinance. If they are being rowdy outside those hours then you can report it to your landlord. And call the police I believe as well.

1 Like

After college I learned my lesson how annoying neighbors could be. I would ask her to try to keep it down between sleeping hours (after 9pm) or you’ll have to let the office know they’re disturbing your sleep.

My husband and my kids dealt with this for over a year at one of our apartments. We now own a home so we don’t have to deal with that but it was very frustrating. We told the office about it and although complaints were filed, it never changed. So I would just blare music during the day when I felt like they were napping lol. It’s petty but I felt they were being petty as well. It seem like they slept all during the day and were up all night long running around. Not just running, literally jumping off of furniture… Sometimes they would have parties during week nights. They did have small kids so it was understandable with some noise, but it was frustrating when it was 2:00 in the morning and my child was asleep for school. But again there was nothing really that we could do about it. We eventually moved from that apartment to a different one because we ended up having another baby and needed an extra bedroom. And then eventually we moved all together and bought a house. So glad to be out of apartment living. Some people just don’t have the same respect for others sadly

2 Likes
  1. It’s an apt not a house you lose alot of luxuries living that life.
  2. Yes you can be upset you’re losing sleep
  3. Go have a adult conversation with her. Kids are kids after all and she may not realize just how loud it is down there.

I’m not saying you can’t be upset but I wouldn’t go to the landlord. Kids are Kids and she probably doesn’t realize how loud it is. Just go talk to her

1 Like

Yes. It’s annoying for sure.
Try addressing the issue by just speaking to them yourself, then maybe your leasing office.
When all else fails call the non-emergency line to the police and make a complaint.
Also, maybe try sleeping with a fan on in your bedroom to drown out noise.

Well, my ex thought that she would file a noise complaint against the two kids that lived above her for being loud and annoying at 3am. Everyone told her " they’re kids, there’s nothing anyone can do about it "
You can talk to the person above you. Ask if she can keep the kids a bit quieter after 11. But other than that not much you can do

I live in an apartment and yes you have a right to be upset. I will not lie and pretend like my kid doesn’t make noise, she is a child, she does. But after 900, she calms down. I had a neighbor below us once that complained to my landlord in the middle of the day that I was vacuuming and her baby couldn’t nap, I told her to take a hike(putting it much more nice), and my landlord told her she couldn’t tell me to quit vacuuming/keeping my apartment clean. Now if it had been the middle of the night and I was vacuuming, I could totally understand the complaint.

Maybe she just needs help. Is she a single mom. Maybe she is just trying to get rest herself. Try talking to her first and just be understanding cause I’m sure she doesn’t want them doing it. I ha e 3 kids and at this point I could sleep thru a hurricane if I can get to that deep sleep

2 Likes

Make noise during their quiet time, leave heavy metal annoying music when you leave for work.?

3 Likes

Id ask her whats going on first. Then approach the owner if its a rental or the police if its owned and things don’t improve. I know its hard but consideration for your neighbours costs nothing.
People need to live their lives and children need to run around…but not in the middle of the night. Where I live excessive noise is supposed to stop by 9pm…out of respect for people working/sleeping etc…obviously if someone has the odd noisy night you accept that

1 Like

I’m on the third floor with 4 kids. Idk why they did that. They knew I had kids. (Maybe the only unit available idk) but I feel soooo guilty lol. Although my kids hardly run in the house. I have one who does flips constantly and causes a big thud everytime :person_facepalming:t5:That being said my kids are asleep by 8pm. Quit time at 7, plus I try to spend a lot of time at the park or doing things during the day. As a mom of very active kids I’d be annoyed too tbh. But I would try to talk to the parents first then landlord if possible.

2 Likes

You have every right to be mad I would talk to neighbors once if they ignore you go to landlord

1 Like

I agree with you. I live on the 3rd floor and I’m very glad nobody is above me. Only thing I don’t like is carrying groceries 3 flights

Something like that, I’d write a registered letter to the landlord about noise complaints. I get kids are kids, they make noise for sure, it’s normal, but this seems excessive. Good luck.

4 Likes

I’d go and talk to the Mom, not bang on the ceiling. Especially if they are new neighbors.

Ask her to spot in when the noise is loud at the inappropriate time. Some people don’t know how loud it sounds in other units. God bless

I think that’s crazy!!! I have a family above me with kids but I’m lucky their respectful and try to not be loud. I also have never heard kids running around past 7 or 8. That’s so inconsiderate but some people just don’t care.

3 Likes

That’s the risk you will always take if you live downstairs at an apartment complex.
When I lived in one I would request downstairs if I had children. Sometimes that’s not an option because people with no kids chose to live on the bottom floor, and took up all the availabilities.
It’s apartment roulette. The only real way out of it is to find something other than an apt to live in. It’s more satisfying as well.
But… If someone were to bang on their ceiling at me, I’d probably get obnoxious because their actions were intentional and mine were not.

At my old apartment complex the landlord told tenants if you want peace and quiet rent or buy a home. The only complaint she would take is for party’s or music but not children.

Most apartments have quiet hours 10pm-6am. I’d let her know how much you hear regularly and are concerned.

5 Likes

You can absolutely be mad. Complain to the landlord because that is ridiculous at all hours of the night!

9 Likes

I wish you were my downstairs neighbors. It’s currently 9:20 am, my toddler ran across the living room to get his toast, and the neighbors banged on the ceiling. No one can make any noise during the day, but at 1 am they’re blasting music and moving furniture. And it’s an old building so we can hear them stomping around downstairs too. We’re trying so hard to move but it’s just not been working out. The landlord told us we’re not in the wrong since we follow the noise ordanance rules but it’s still so aggravating.

I’d check and see if your building has noise ordnance rules in the lease. Talk to the landlord bc 2 am is way too late for kids to be running around.

5 Likes

You live in a family apartment complex don’t be that neighbor

2 Likes

They should be in bed :relieved:

3 Likes

It’s expected when living in an apartment. Go talk to your neighbor and come up with solutions. Stay at Home Moms :fire:

Where I live there is nothing you can do legally. Kids are kids. it’s annoying and frustrating to all hell. I would try speaking with your neighbour first. I’m not sure where you live but I know where I live police, bylaw and your landlord cannot do much about children. All they can really do is speak to them.

2 Likes

I would maybe leave an anonymous note on her door. Not necessarily saying you can hear them through your ceiling, because obviously she would know it’s you, but something stating that you can hear the kids running/yelling or whatever all hours of the day and night.

I would also check your lease, with your landlord or management company to see if there are “quiet hours”.

If it doesn’t stop, then I would file a complaint with the landlord or management company.

As you stated, living in an apartment, you’re bound to hear the neighbors walking around and maybe even talking. Especially kids running around and jumping, but all hours of the day and night is unacceptable. You pay your rent, you should, at minimum, be able to sleep at night in your own home.

4 Likes

Yikes. When my children were young like that, they were in bed by 8. Smh

5 Likes

It is utterly ridiculous that this kind of noise is going on in the middle of the night. People that say u need to suck it up bc u live in an apartment are in the wrong here. It’s not ok to allow your kids to act like wild animals without consideration for others. Report to landlord. If no results, report to police or CPS. Children should not be running rampant all during the night.

I dont think kids jumping and running at 11pm is to be expected. I live on the 3rd floor with two kiddos. They are 10 and 8 now, were 4 and 6 when we moved in. They still like to run from the kitchen to their bedroom, I don’t see why🤦‍♀️ but they’ve done jumps off the couch, my 8yo still does the feet stamping when he’s not getting his way. But come like 7, they are usually winding down and getting ready for bed and relaxing. We’ve been there for 4 years now and we’ve had the same downstairs neighbors since we moved in and I told both of them if they EVER have an issue please don’t hesitate to let me know. They have a high schooler now but at the time he was younger and the mom said she completely gets it.

1 Like

I would say something, namely because at those hours, those kids should be asleep. It becomes a disruption to other tenants, especially if they have kids that wake because of it.

Yeah no that’s not cool. People need to be considerate.

1 Like

My 2yr old I’m lucky if Shes in bed by 11pm but my neighbor under me understands what I’m going through with her we don’t take her outside at all or if we do she’s in her stroller or we go to another place to play not only that she’s getting a trampoline and I explained to the lady why and she’s totally cool with us having one but the sad part is she’s up by 3am so I know what’s going to happen

3 Likes

Record it and play it back to her so she can hear it for herself.

1 Like

Been there done that. The parents were potheads who “homeschooled” their kids. Note: nothing against proper homeschooling; I just can’t imagine how these parents taught their kids anything as their door always reeked of pot.

We tried talking with them, but got the ADD excuse. AND it turned out the new apartment manager lived there also.

But usually if talking to them doesn’t work then you can talk to the apartment manager.

3 Likes

Honestly, you absolutely have the right to be upset. As a parent who has lived in an apartment it’s important to teach your kids to be respectful of their surroundings. I was in an apartment for a bit last year and didn’t really even let my kid run and pound during the day, because no one wants to listen to that. If he had tons of energy to get out we went out to the park.
I would check what your apartments quiet hours are, most have dedicated quiet hours because of problems like this. you can try to talk to the parent but if that doesnt work, record when it happens while showing the time and make reports. That’s just excessive and shows that they aren’t considerate of the people surrounding them.
Because yes, in an apartment setting you should expect some noise, but you should also do what you can to mitigate the noise you contribute. It’s a community effort to keep things going well in an apartment setting.

5 Likes

School will go back soon but when you live in a crowded space you’ll have to deal with certain things. Best advice would be to have a nice conversation and let them know its keeping you up. Decent people will work with you. I’m in the country but still have neighbors, when the new ones moved in with a baby I got with her on day one to get a feel of baby’s sleeping schedule and worked the dogs going on on to that schedule so they didn’t wake the baby up or go out to late. Always best to try to communicate before it gets you wound up

1 Like

Can’t fix it if ya don’t know it’s broken. Should talk to em

2 Likes

Def have the right. I get it up to midnight(being a lil lenient) but after that hell no. Get upset, be annoying, if they can’t be courteous why should you

1 Like

Ya you live in an apartment, but there is certainly an etiquette to doing so. I would talk to them and see if there’s a solution that can be made.

2 Likes

You should not have to put up with that. 11:00 should be the absolute latest that they do that. 10:00 would be better. Talk to your landlord since you’ve. Ever complained before

2 Likes

I have 3 small children ages 3, 2 and 3 months. I would NEVER allow my kids to be up running around past 9/9:30pm at night. That’s unacceptable and just plain rude and inconsiderate. You have every right to be upset! Talk with the mom first then if no resolution, speak to the front office about it. Most kids especially in those ages are on a daily routine; bed by 9, wake up around 8/9 am, nap by noon. Eat meals/snacks in between.

No. That sucks. I have a special needs child who has crazy sleep patterns, and often times is up in the night. He runs and stomps during this time. I’d feel bad if I had neighbors.

You have ever right to be upset I live up stairs and I work early in the morning sometimes get home until 1am due to work and my next door neighbors are running, slamming doors and hit the wall like WTH. Their smokers and just leave their buts everywhere next to my door.

1 Like

We live in a downstairs apartment, and have had several people come and go in the apartment above us over the past 2 1/2 years. Before, we could only hear the man that lived there getting ready for work at 3am. That was fine.
A new couple moved in with a child around the same age as our baby, 3-4. He literally runs back and forth until 3-4am. Sometimes 5. Then he’ll sleep in until 12, so it’ll be quiet. But then it starts all over. Then the lady will vacuum at 1am. It’ll sound like they’re literally jumping every time they walk.
I understand kids are loud, but there’s no reason a child that young shouldn’t have a decent bedtime. It interrupts our sleep, wakes our kids.

It’s the most annoying thing. :confused: you have every right to be upset.

The apartment we used to live in had an 11 pm time to quiet down. We could actually make noise complaints and if they got enough they were evicted.

3 Likes

I mean if you don’t have a conversation with them about it, how do you think it’s going to get fixed? Get upset after you talk to them and it doesn’t stop.

1 Like

I would be livid. At 2am running around making noise is out of control. Much peace and love ☆

l Get paid over $121 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18531 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarsBox185.pages.dev/

Ear plugs. Best night sleep you will ever get. There is no benefit to complaining and it will just make them want to be worse not better. People in apartments don’t care.

Sounds like the parents let their kids run wild all night. I would be pissed too.

1 Like

Contact your landlord.

3 Likes

Take recordings and contact complex management.

2 Likes

You should go up and ask them nicely to please keep the noise down at night. If that doesn’t work, then talk to management. But you talk to them first. Good luck.

1 Like

l Get paid over $121 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18531 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarsBox199.pages.dev/

I would say something to her, if that doesn’t work, try the management company. If thta doesn’t work call the police :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would’ve been at their door :woman_shrugging: I can’t stand inconsiderate people :unamused:

I’d try talking to her
Some people don’t put their kids to bed or have any sort of routine with their children

It’s sucks for the people who work and need to sleep lol

No you aren’t wrong, you shouldn’t have to live like that at all! I’m dealing with the same thing. One lady and a 7 year old and they sound like elephants running and walking above me. Can’t even get my kid to bed properly or unwind in peace. Amazing what people get away with. When I banged the ceiling I actually got in trouble because that is purposefully causing a nuisance, yeah that didn’t go very well for them! Lol

why don’t you go upstairs and make a new friend? 

1 Like

I was diagnosed with a brain tumor and trying to cope. Severe depression. No family. No help. Nothing. A family of 5 (2 adults, 3 children) moved in upstairs. They would have their kids jumping off the couch and table whatever they wanted at every hour no matter if it was 2am or 10pm. They could careless. I filed numerous complaints. Nobody cared. I ended up moving out and found someone to take over my lease. While I was out of the country they served me with eviction papers that I didn’t receive till I came back a year later. I hope you find a better solution :two_hearts:

I would leave a note on their door something like please respect the quiet hours policy blah blah blah. If it keeps happening report it to the office.

Been there. Turn them in!!

Some apartments have a clause that states there is a quiet time. Usually it’s something like 10pm to 6am or 11pm to 6 am, something like that. If your lease has something like that listed, report them. If not, film the noise and file a complaint, requesting a quiet time be implemented. Ppl need sleep.

That’s one of the reasons I have never wanted to be in a apartment. I’m currently in a town house and I have neighbors on both sides. I have four kids 2,4,5,7 and two are autistic and so as much as I try very hard to keep everyone quiet and especially at night. It’s not always easy. But if one of my neighbors communicated to me their issues with us In a respectful way .I would try to be better and also explain my situation. You just never know a person situation. As annoying as kids can be when you are trying to sleep or have peace you also have to have take in consideration that maybe the adults are trying. I guess my advice would be to have a conversation with the people that live there .

Talk to the parents/guardians and ask what’s up.
If that doesn’t work, talk to the landlord/landlady before talking to authorities about kids being up til 4am.

You are not wrong !!! After 11 is very very annoying and disrespectful, try taking to her nicely, if nothing happens file a complaint with the manager .
My upstairs neighbors are very loud and annoying as well , the only reason I don’t complain with the manager is because they are my family and I do not want them to be kicked out :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I’d talk to tenants first. See if you can work it out on your own. If all else fails talk to the office. Daytime and early evening I can see kids being loud and not saying something but the late night would have me upset.