Do I Have A Right To Be Upset That My Sister's Boyfriend Proposed To Her At My Wedding?

QUESTION:

"Is it just me, or is it incredibly inconsiderate for someone to propose to someone else at their wedding? I will try to keep this short and simple. I got married Friday night. My husband and I put a lot of time and money into this wedding, and it was beautiful and so important to me. My sister invited her new boyfriend of 3 months, which I was fine with. But after my husband and I's first dance, he went to the DJ, called my sister up, and proposed to her in front of everyone. This really bothered me because this was my day and my moment, and I kind of feel like they took that from me, and I will never get it back. It would have been different if he asked, but he did not, and he didn't even ask my parents permission to ask her to marry him! Not only that, but he barely knows our family at all, so idk. This whole thing just rubbed me the wrong way. Am I overreacting? I haven't talked to my sister since…"

RELATED QUESTION: Drake Bell Updates His Plea To Guilty, Faces Prison Time For Attempted Child Endangerment

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

"Wow I am so sorry to hear this. It is absolutely valid to feel the way you do. I would be in tears I told my partner and he couldn’t believe someone could think to do that. I am so sorry."

"Tacky? Yes. Disrespectful? Also, yes. Would it bother me? Yes, again. BUT, I would choose my battles. I would definitely tell them that I didn’t appreciate it, and that I felt very disrespected. But I wouldn’t end a relationship over it."

"I get why you're upset but you can't change it. What's done is done. Focus on those amazing memories that you and your husband made and the now together. Also I don't understand why you're not talking to your sister? Was it not just as much of a surprise to her too and is it really worth ruining y'alls relationship?"

"I'd be upset for not asking although I'd share my day with my sis had I known. But you shouldn't not talk to her over it, she didn't know it do it so it's not her fault."

"You have every right to be upset by this, this was your day! Extremely inappropriate for him to do. This isn't your sister's fault though and you shouldn't ignore her because of it. She probably was not aware and under pressure since he proposed in front of a lot of people. You definitely need to talk to her about this and him in general."

"It was a rude and thoughtless act. However, you got married, you had your first dance, it was still your wedding. Life is too short to be upset over this misstep. It definitely wasn't an error on your sister's part. If you feel like you need to say something, then let the boyfriend know."

"I’d say, it was thoughtless and irritating, but really not worth falling out with your sister over! It wasn’t her fault. You both may need each other’s love in the years ahead. Put it behind you."

"I think you should be happy that you're married and had a great wedding and reception. Why hold a grudge and ask facebook if you should be mad. I'm sure you were still the center of attention everyone was there for you. Life is too short to be upset."

"I’d be furious. At him. But not at your sister, unless of course, she knew the proposal was coming and suggested he do it at your wedding."

"More important things to worry about. Life is short, why ruin a family relationship over something so petty…."

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW: