My sisters boyfriend proposed to her at my wedding without asking me: Advice?

Is it just me, or is it incredibly inconsiderate for someone to propose to someone else at their wedding? I will try to keep this short and simple. I got married Friday night. My husband and I put a lot of time and money into this wedding, and it was beautiful and so important to me. My sister invited her new boyfriend of 3 months, which I was fine with. But after my husband and I’s first dance, he went to the DJ, called my sister up, and proposed to her in front of everyone. This really bothered me because this was my day and my moment, and I kind of feel like they took that from me, and I will never get it back. It would have been different if he asked, but he did not, and he didn’t even ask my parents permission to ask her to marry him! Not only that, but he barely knows our family at all, so idk. This whole thing just rubbed me the wrong way. Am I overreacting? I haven’t talked to my sister since…

680 Likes

I don’t understand about your situation much, but I don’t understand why you’re mad at your sister? She’s probably as surprised as you were…how is any of this her fault? To me, you are being very dramatic and a little ridiculous…

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My sisters boyfriend proposed to her at my wedding without asking me: Advice? - Mamas Uncut

People who do that at other peoples weddings are literally self centered assholes. I would be PISSED an throw them out myself

I’d be happy for her

5 Likes

That was rude and inconsiderate and I bet they don’t even get married…extremely tacky

23 Likes

I’d only be mad that they didn’t ask. I would’ve gladly shared my day with my sister had I known.

17 Likes

At least they waited until your moment and what better why than to share with ppl already around that’s family

3 Likes

Firstly, congratulations :two_hearts:
Secondly, that was really rude of him and totally tacky.

11 Likes

Not overreacting at all, I would be livid

7 Likes

I’d be upset but not at her… she didn’t know.

28 Likes

Why are you mad at your sister?

12 Likes

I would be mad as hell!

1 Like

He was wrong for not asking but you are wrong for blaming her. Be happy for her.

12 Likes

Dude! I would be honored :fist:t4::heart: my sissy and I are one​:fire: I would be double celebrating!:fire::heart::heart::fist:t4::fire::heart::fist:t4:

13 Likes

Your sister didn’t do anything, why not talk to her? Yes. It was in poor taste. But, it is done now.

7 Likes

I feel like he should have mentioned it atleast and understand y u would be upset but at the end of the day that’s your sister and u should be happy for her if she’s truly happy

3 Likes

Idk why people are so petty. I would be happy for her regardless of how he done it. To be mad at her because of something her boyfriend did is ridiculous.

13 Likes

I’d be upset for not asking although I’d share my day with my sis had I known. But you shouldn’t not talk to her over it, she didn’t know it do it so it’s not her fault.

6 Likes

I would be upset definitely but not at my sister

1 Like

It would be a different story if he had asked, But he didn’t. I would of been thrown off and upset. And he proposed only after 3 months?!

3 Likes

Double wedding - share the cost :thinking:

Wow I am so sorry to hear this. It is absolutely valid to feel the way you do. I would be in tears I told my partner and he couldn’t believe someone could think to do that. I am so sorry :blue_heart:

14 Likes

Yes this is wrong and I would tell them so

4 Likes

Congrats on your wedding firstly, second I would be so upset. But not at my sister. I would explain to her how completely inconsiderate that was.

Also did she say yes? I feel like personally 3 months and not knowing your family well is kinda crazy.

11 Likes

well… your sister didnt know since it was him and his idea… no need to be mad at her. BUT also he could have waited til after the wedding like a little bit towards the end… you still had your wedding… you still got married which is all the matters right!?

6 Likes

U need to talk to ur sister…SHE did nothing wrong…

4 Likes

That’s messed up. Imagine how important and entitled someone must feel to propose to someone at someone else’s wedding. Like you said, had he spoken to you guys about it beforehand, maybe it would be different but that’s just out of pocket

5 Likes

Why are you mad at her? She didn’t do anything. an he definitely should have asked, but you should be happy for her if she’s happy.

5 Likes

I’d be excited for her if I had known it was happening, but not knowing and just doing it disrespectful

1 Like

Its disrespectful but what can you do…its done now.
No need to dwell on it

4 Likes

at her wedding Announce your pregnant

42 Likes

I wouldn’t be too happy about it, but it’s not your sister’s fault. I doubt she knew ahead of time. Is it that you are mad at her because she is not mad at him about it?

1 Like

I would be furious! Totally selfish of him, that was your special day!

2 Likes

Inconsiderate and I’d bet he’s a narcissistic asshole

Life’s short. Try to find it in your heart to be happy for your sister. :heart:

3 Likes

He definitely should have asked you!!

2 Likes

It was one moment of the day. It’s not like it overshadowed the fact that you got married. As for the amount of time they’ve been together…I told my husband 3 months into dating that I was going to marry him. He said “okay” with a smile. We’ve been together for 13 1/2 years, and our 10th wedding anniversary is in December. :woman_shrugging:t2: When you know, you know.

12 Likes

Aww im.hearing friends of ours decided to get engaged on our wedding night a few people said it was rude to that n we thought the same but just let it go as they were both wrong in doing this n we think they knew that they were going to do it as my friend said aww they had that planned

3 Likes

Wait wait wait. I’m more concerned about the whole only being together 3 months. That just screams red flags to me. Don’t @ me with that whole love at first sight bullshit either. INVESTIGATE!!!

I wouldnt be upset with my sister but I sure hope she said NO! 3 months is not long enough. Trust me 19 days for my first marriage. Divorced after 7 months but only because he was in the army and overseas. Started divorce proceedings in March after marrying in February.

1 Like

:eyes:It’s super tacky. I’m petty and would literally pay someone to do exactly the same at their wedding :woman_shrugging::shushing_face:

6 Likes

Guve birth at their wedding🤷‍♀️

7 Likes

He was definitely out of order!

1 Like

It’s 2021. He doesn’t need your parent’s permission to marry her. Women are able to make their own choices now.

9 Likes

Honestly its not like he interrupted the wedding or yalls first dance- he did it with thinking everyone would be excited but at same time your sister didnt know so theres that

4 Likes

I’d only be upset because he didn’t ask. But your sis didn’t do it.

2 Likes

Sounds like she needs to run…seriously red flags there!

2 Likes

Hell no… I’d be pissed!! This is your wedding. There is a time and place for everything. He should have definitely asked you about it first. It’s one thing if your ok with it, if not then He’ll No!!! Not cool!

2 Likes

Whoa that’s extremely rude! You should never ever purpose at someone’s wedding unless they give the ok first! I would be upset and hurt. It’s your day! No one should take that away.

3 Likes

She did nothing wrong. I would talk to her and make sure she’s ok too because that seems pretty wild

5 Likes

What he did was very inconsiderate and rude. I would be upset too. You need to talk to your sister. She was probably just as surprised as you were. Don’t take it out on her but talk to her. I would keep and eye on sister’s bf too. There is some red flags there.

2 Likes

She stole your thunder. How inconsiderate imo.
ETA: He did. Maybe your sister wasn’t even aware?

2 Likes

Oh that would be a hell no!! Stay in your lane!!

1 Like

Rule #1 of weddings don’t disrupt the couples special day that they have spent thousands on no matter who you are! Not your sisters fault if she didn’t know. With that being said whats done is done and don’t ruin your relationship with your sister over it.

2 Likes

Nope, you are not overreacting about what HE did (he’s suppose to ask first) but you shouldn’t take it out on your sister because she didn’t know.
3 months…omg?

3 Likes

Why are you mad at your sister? It’s not like she planned for her bf to ask. If you have a problem than you should talk to her bf, but it won’t change anything because it’s already happened and you can’t go back and change the past. The most he can say is sorry. It was dumb of him not to ask you and rude but don’t take it out on your sister.

4 Likes

Plan to get pregnant around when they get married and go up to the DJ and announce your pregnancy at their wedding :woman_shrugging:t3::upside_down_face: yes it is disrespectful and I would definitely be saying something to the bf/fiancé about it because that isn’t a very good way to start things off coming into your family. He should have asked if you and your husband minded first!

4 Likes

Doesn’t sound like the sisters fault

2 Likes

Wow. That’s a major no.

1 Like

Your sister is innocent. Maybe the guy is psycho

4 Likes

Super wrong. Shouldn’t have stolen your thunder!!!

2 Likes

Sadly that’s bad luck to do at a wedding . Not only did they set themselves up for a failed marriage they were wishing the same to your marriage

1 Like

That’s not ok. You deserved a convo 1st asking if it’s ok. And if you said no it should of not happened. Smh.

1 Like

Too late now but that’s gross to use your wedding to do it. Some people are clueless.

2 Likes

You’re over reacting… Sure he was inconsiderate … But what’s done is done. Enjoy your husband… Maybe announce a pregnancy at his birthday party or something idk

13 Likes

3 months!? He sounds a little :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Get pregnant and announce it at her wedding. And then die at her funeral.

18 Likes

Tacky? Yes. Disrespectful? Also, yes. Would it bother me? Yes, again. BUT, I would choose my battles. I would definitely tell them that I didn’t appreciate it, and that I felt very disrespected. But I wouldn’t end a relationship over it.

10 Likes

Did she know he was doing it?

1 Like

Maybe the love was so overwhelming he just made a heartfelt decision…why is everyone so judgmental? Id share my moment for love

9 Likes

A bf of 3months and he already bust a move? That’s a probation period relationship :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Be upset with him not ur sister. And pray things change before they say I do

1 Like

Stop complaining!!! It’s fine

4 Likes

It was inconsiderate and rude of him, but don’t hold it against your sister. It happened, it’s over snd done with, and I’m sure most people at your wedding agree with how you feel.just remember your beautiful wedding day and how happy you are to have married the love of your life

2 Likes

I say be petty and plan to get pregnant around her wedding date and announce your pregnancy so they can see how it feels. I also would have nothing to do with either of them if you didn’t want to do plan A. Also in my eyes the sister is not innocent. As soon as he dropped down on one knee she should have walked tf away.

10 Likes

It’s not your sisters fault.

5 Likes

Its past now & your sister didnt know…

1 Like

He’s strange! That’s all i got!!

1 Like

If she didn’t know it isn’t her fault but wow. Yes, inappropriate and totally disrespectful. Also, sounds a little crazy.

Your overreacting a little but there sis. Did you get married? Did you kiss your groom? Your okay then. Choose your battles wisely is all I can say.

10 Likes

Congratulations! It’s ok to be upset, but not at your sister. She didn’t know it was happening. Also when you know you know. My husband and I got married after a month and we’ve been married 19 years now.

3 Likes

Being mad is only hurting you not them… it was your wedding day focus on your new husband not her future ex

13 Likes

Why blame your sister? It’s happened, she didn’t know… Just be happy for her.

5 Likes

Gustuhin ko man na sa araw din ng kasal nila it is either mag announce ako na buntis ako or gender reveal para makaganti manlang.pero kailan man d maitatama ng pagkakamali angbisa pang pagkakamali.oldo nasaktan ka sa nangyari kasi nga parang ikaw yung nagpakahirap pero iba ang nakinabang.pray ko na maghilom na ang puso mo at i bless ka ni Lord para may paraan na mag thanksgiving in party ka ulit and this time d stage and the limelight will all be yours.forgivemo na sila both para yung mas malaking swerte or pasabog sa puso mo makapasok na sa buhay nio.claim it and God bless

She was probably embarrassed about it too. I thought everyone knew that was an unwritten rules of things not to do at a wedding :woman_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

I bet your sister new like shiiit Lmaols

I would be livid I would speak to her or him

I would be pissed! I can’t even believe your sister said yes (for multiple reasons). If someone proposed to me at someone else’s wedding they’re hurting their own feelings because wtf?!

4 Likes

That’s strange, but not her fault. I’d be upset, but not at her.

I sure don’t think they should be getting married 3 months into dating one another

Yes he was wrong but try not to blame your sister

2 Likes

Very rude, not over reacting. He deserves a pie to the face!

1 Like

I’d be annoyed as shit!

I know the amount of time and money that we put into our wedding, and I know for a fact that I would have been livid if someone had stolen OUR moment to propose. I really cant believe there are people in here saying that you’re overreacting or petty!

2 Likes

I understand how you may think like that
This is your sister though, I’m guessing she didn’t know.
Could you see it as a moment in both your lives you can share
Money isn’t everything.
I’d want my sister’s happiness to come first

2 Likes

I’m here more to see what ppl say about them only dating for 3 months and engaged :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

4 Likes

Your sister should run lol

2 Likes

I’m sure your day was so amazingly fantastically beautiful that sharing the love makes it even more fabulous. Try change the way you look at it . He chose the most perfect place he could think of and that was your wedding , what a compliment .

5 Likes

I’d be pissed as hell I probably would have stopped The proposal but I’m a little petty LOL

2 Likes

You are being petty. Shame on you for blaming your sister it is not like she told him to do that. You should be talking to the guy. Besides how did it ruin your moment? At least he waited until after the first dance. You should be happy for your sister and she was probably mortified him pulling that. I don’t like brides that think weddings are all about theminstead of celebrations of love and unity.

8 Likes