Do I need my husbands permission to get my tubes tied?

It’s your body, not his.

He doesn’t own you hon, you are not property. Do what you know is best for your body.

It’s your body- not his!!!

No your husband does not have to sign the paper.

Your body, your choice.

COMMUNICATE with him! Lots of you are saying your body, your choice. But if your husband went behind your back, and did the same and you still wanted more… You’d be heartbroken

1 Like

Missouri require husband and wife to both sign for it 🤷 but that’s no biggie for me because I would never do something like that if we werent in total agreement… Yall need to sit and talk it out

2 Likes

Lol after my 5th i didnt tell mine
Didnt find out until he came back to the hospital and i was in suregery. I was checked out and done. He wanted more but i cant. Lol my youngest is 11. You should tell him… but its also your body

In Texas you don’t, but me and my husband where in agreement with it. I have had 5 csections and the risks are way worse of either bleeding out or dying from complications so i went ahead with it

My husband had his best freinds wife stand in as me, when he had his vasectomy,…had no idea until he came home from hospital walking like John Wayne,…ask him what happened next morning as I went to clean bed room/make the bed and found his bloody cause on the floor,…
No you don’t need consent!!!

Oh hunny it’s your box if you wanna close-up shop you don’t need his permission.
Try BC for a few years (in case you change your mind)and if you still feel the same then explain to him that this is something your gonna do.

my husband had to sign for me to get it done 37 years ago

Also in NY, and I was asking around about this too and I hear it is up to your doctor/ the medical facility

Out of respect I think it’s definitely something to communicate about. It’s your body and your ultimate decision but don’t disrespect your husband by going behind his back…that’s not a good way to keep trust in a marriage

1 Like

Communicate. That’s #1. I don’t have my tubes tied but hubby got a vasectomy and I had to sign. So I am guessing it’s the same.

I got my tubes tied at the age of 25. I had one boy and one girl and both pregnancies were miserable. My doctor did not ask about anyone’s wants but my own. Your partner isn’t the one who has to endure growing and delivering a child. Some women it goes smoothly. Others have difficulty and a men seem to forget or just not understand at all what women really have to go through. If your husband wants more maybe adoption is a solution but if your mind is made up that you don’t want more, it’s your body and he should respect your choice.

Never in my whole life ,on this planet have I ever heard ,that a husband has to sign for a wife to get their tubes tied!!!

Your doctor works, for you ,not him!!!

1 Like

In the state of ga the women has to have her husbands consent . I know bc when I went to have a talk about tying mine the doctor look at my husband and said are you okay w this decision ! Like for real if I need him in this I’ll just leave him to have it done

I don’t know for NY, but here in Australia I was 29 yrs old when I had clips put on my tubes. Didn’t need my hubby consent, I had 3 kids by c-sections & it was done during the 3rd birth…

Wen I was married I didn’t need he’s permission to get fixed but that was in 2014

In Australia you need both you and your partner to sign a consent form stating that your both ok with it and understand the risks and that if later on down the track you were to have it reversed that itdoes not always 100% mean you’ll have kids again if you wanted too. My mum was 42 and had to fight to get her tubes done after a surprise baby. That was with my fathers consent.

That’s so fucking crazy that some doctors try that shit… birth control also works. Or just straight up tell him you’re not having anymore kids.

No he cannot force you not to get them done but he is your husband so out if respect I would sit down and talk to him about the issues he has about you getting your tubes tied, maybe he wants another kid? You have to consider his feelings and opinions on this too just like he should if he wanted to get a vasectomy and you weren’t for it.

1 Like

No you don’t.And its your body you have the right to make that decision for your self.he has never carried a child for 40 weeks or went through labor.lol

1 Like

In NYS, at the age of 14, your bodys reproductive system/organs are yours to with as you please. You do not need consent from mom, dad,child, husband, wife or anyone else for that matter.

In Georgia you dont need partners permission.

As far as I know it would be against HIPAA rights to require his signature. Your husband has no rights to info or decisions regarding medical unless you give him permission

1 Like

No need his permission it’s you signing the paper for the procedure not him

1 Like

Depends on the state. But in most cases NO.

I sure as hell hope not in 2020

3 Likes

Get a partial hysterectomy. Keep the ovaries

1 Like

In the state of NY you don’t need consent. I do however advise you have a serious sit down with your husband. You don’t want this to backfire down the line and your husband leaves you for lying.

2 Likes

In some states. I told mine in the labor room he could sign and stay married, or don’t and divorced!

1 Like

VA doesn’t and my doctor didn’t even ask. I just said I wanted it done, she said okay and had me sign paperwork and scheduled it.

I live in Nevada and my husband would not have known a thing… we were on the same page so he knew from the start but honestly I could have done it without him knowing if I needed to. If you are going to have a c section then speak to your doctor to maybe send baby and dad out because it does take 10-15 min more than a reg c section they can just say they need to stitch you up… I hope you can be honest with him and that he supports you because honestly it’s not his choice… we aren’t just baby making machines

1 Like

Nope you dont need his permission in all 50 states

1 Like

This should have been discussed BEFORE MARRIAGE!

No but why don’t you consider clamps instead of a whole tubal… So no regrets.

Why would you get fixed and hide it from your spouse?

1 Like

Wow didn’t even know this. My husband and I have been married over 25 years​:flushed::joy:

Tell him it’s him or you :rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

3 Likes

No you don’t but some doctors might give you a hard time, if they do find someone else.

1 Like

When I lived in Ohio(1997) I had to have my husband’s signature to have a hysterectomy because I had endometriosis and fibroid tumors! I couldn’t have children because of it and the loss of blood was making me anemic! But hey, still had to have his consent. So might depend on the state. I live in PA now and have heard friends tell me they had to have spouses consent.

1 Like

Things happen besides the ability to bang worry free. Shit they don’t tell you. I urge you to consider other options. Like him getting fixed.

They are YOUR tubes, not his.

I didn’t need anyone’s permission when I had mine done.

2 Likes

Sadly i believe so. When i got my tubes tied in 2018 my dr asked me if i wanted it done, then asked my husband if he was ok with it. Then when i was having my csection and i was under he said the dr asked him again of he was sure it was ok.

1 Like

Luckily we’re in the US my brother and his family who are American citizens living in Dubai don’t have the same freedoms. My SILs doctors office called my brother to ask if it was ok if she got an IUD.

In TN you don’t have to have your husband permission.

Ok does your husband need your permission to have a vicectamy?

No you dont need his ok. I’m from my and I just got mine done last may

I was told you had to be 21 or have 3 kids then you could without permission from your husband but that’s Kentucky and was about 10 years ago.

It will take a week to feel better from and you will need help going home from the hospital

1 Like

No their your tubes hun. After 3 kids I’m sure your doc wont harass ya much. Some folks say here hide it from him but hes gonna ask one day where those 2 little scars come from. You need to chat with him, explain how you and your body feel about your current state. you have to make a line of communication for this issue to work itself out.

No you don’t. But you shouldn’t need to hide it either

3 Likes

You dont need his permission. Just like no man needs a wifes permission to have a vasectomy, no matter if she wants more kids or not. Your/his body your/his choice.

3 Likes

I don’t think some of y’all understand that in some places and with some laws it’s not legal for her to do it without his permission… it’s unfortunate but it’s the truth.

2 Likes

Why would a woman need a man’s permission to do that? It’s her freaking body! If she wants it done she should be able to get it done without his permission.

2 Likes

Bottom line its ur body,but it’s definetly a subject the two of you shoulddisscuss before marriage

I think u need to have a serious think about ur relationship with ur husband of this is even a issue…

2 Likes

Not sure but my approval was needed for my husbands vacectomy! I’m in NJ/PA

2 Likes

Explor why your husband thinks he can choose for you

2 Likes

No why would u. Its ur body.

No your husband DOES NOT NEED TO CONSENT for your tubes to be tied. You are the only one that has to give consent.

1 Like

Most states no longer have spousal consent laws on the books & any remaining laws may be considered un- constitutional. Publicly owned hospitals are not legally allowed to maintain such a policy, but private hospitals are. I believe that a doctor refusing to perform a tubal ligation unless their husband is informed & consents teeters on the line of violating HIPAA.

2 Likes

I live in wi just had one and my hubby didnt need to ok it

I never did get his ok, its your body, and if he doesn’t like it he can cut his.

1 Like

No it’s your body your choice

1 Like

No my friends mom did it because her husband is super catholic and they had 13-14 kids and she was tired. She didn’t have to tell him

3 Likes

No you dont need it just have to be 25 and 3 babies

It might depend on where you live, in my state I do not need my husband’s permission. I actually got them tied today. But the good thing is we were both in an aggreeance to it anyways!

It’s 2020. If people are easily putting their stamp of approval on changing your gender, I’m pretty sure it’s your own body and you have the right to choose what to do with it!

1 Like

No this is your own decision. I cut mine we both agreed but regardless I was still going to do it. I went to my consult alone and told my doc I was ready and made my appointment. Then I went home and told him he was oh ok. Lol

I don’t need his permission

Uh no it’s your body

2 Likes

Not in California, and I’m pretty sure you don’t anywhere, its your body :woman_shrugging: that’s crazy if you would

I would be most concerned about the fact that you and your husband can’t come to an agreement on this very big decision in your shared life - and why he doesn’t respect your ability and right to make decisions about your body.
I think everyone has answered well regarding actually need/legality, but before you take action, I would recommend seeing a marriage counselor if you’re committed to the long term health of your marriage.

3 Likes

Your body your choice

No! You are your own person and can decide if that’s something you want not your husband… He should respect you enough to know it’s your decision not his

1 Like

No you only need a spouse’s permission if you under a certain age with less than 2 kids

Your body, your choice. It never even came up in conversation if I even had a husband lol.

In Texas, sadly, his consent is necessary. At least it was when I had my son, 19 yrs ago. I STILL think these Drs are crazy!!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

lol, this is not 1902. NY is a pretty liberal state too, and 3 kids is a fair number. The only time they say no is to people that are under 30 with no kids, and really young parents who’ve only had 2 kids or less of one sex. And that’s not because they are concerned about your spouse’s opinion, so much as they are concerned you’ll change your mind and sue them when you can’t have kids later… which shows you how many dick people there are out there, screwing other people out of getting fixed when they want to, and fucking up doctors’ lives because of their own idiocy.

I don’t know where you are located at, but pretty sure in no state do you need ur husband permission.

1 Like

In MO I had to have my husband’s signature to have my tubes tied.

I’m not sure if I remember my husband having to sign the consent form or maybe it was the insurance papers that are under his name he was signing

Absolutely. Same goes for me to my wife

Depnd on the state you live in. NO in Texaas

No. That’s between you and your Dr. Be prepared, though…it is still surgery and you will want some help with your little ones for a couple of days.

Your husband does not own your body. YOU do!

Your body, your choice.

Some states you do and in some state you don’t. Yea I get it, it’s your body but geesh that’s really a decision that the 2 of you should make together. Good luck with whatever choice you do make

1 Like

Well if you wanted more children and your husband didn’t would you be upset if he got a vasectomy without your full consent? If the answer is yes, then you need to make the decision together and be 100% certain that it is what you both want. If the answer is no, then do it.

I’m in Michigan and I did not have to have his permission

I’m in FL and had to have my husband’s signature on the documents. My daughter had hers done in Maryland and had to have her husband’s permission, as well…

Tubal ligation, sometimes referred to as female sterilization, is a permanent birth control procedure that may involve tying the fallopian tubes, closing them or making an incision in them. Tubal ligation is more than 99 percent effective at preventing pregnancy, but access to this procedure may be limited by hospital policies or legal restrictions.

Spousal Consent Laws
In the past, both state governments and hospitals often required spousal consent for voluntary sterilization. However, in the 1970s a number of women challenged these requirements in court and generally prevailed. According to the book “Fit to Be Tied” by Rebecca M. Kluchin, courts found in favor of the women in most of these cases. In the case of Ponter vs. Ponter, the New Jersey Superior Court ruled that women had the constitutional right to seek a tubal ligation without spousal consent. Federal courts have ruled state spousal consent laws unconstitutional, but the United States Supreme Court has never ruled on this issue, so it cannot be considered completely resolved.

Federal Policy
Federal government policy according to the Office of Population Affairs is that female sterilization procedures do not require the consent of the spouse. Any family planning program funded by the federal government is required to adhere to state laws on consent except for laws requiring spousal consent for sterilization, as these are held to be unconstitutional. The Affordable Care Act requires insurers to cover tubal ligation, but does not require doctors to perform the procedure against their own judgment.

Spousal Consent Policies
Despite federal court rulings against spousal consent laws, some hospitals still have policies against performing the procedure without the signed consent of both spouses. Publicly owned hospitals are not legally allowed to maintain such a policy, but private hospitals are. Despite the illegality of spousal consent policies at public hospitals, doctors may still refuse to perform the procedure, especially if the woman requesting it is young or has not yet had children.

Continuing Barriers
Although most states no longer have spousal consent laws on the books and any remaining laws may be unconstitutional, sterilization is still difficult to access in a number of states because of other regulations. Some states require waiting periods before a tubal ligation may be performed. Others protect doctors and hospitals from being forced to perform the procedure against their judgment. A doctor or hospital determined to obtain spousal consent before performing a tubal ligation might be protected under these laws, but courts have repeatedly found that tubal ligation does not require spousal consent.

1 Like

He needs a vasectomy!!!

New York State Law for Sterilization: https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/ms/ms-hcp-steriliz-reprt-faqs.pdf

So no, you don’t need your husband’s consent.
It boils down to what a specific doctor is willing to do and not just “state law”. Paperwork could be different for a different doctor and may not “require” (which is a bullshit term) your husband’s signature.

He’s nobody he didn’t buy you your body is yours not his :joy::innocent:be like a :puerto_rico: We don’t asked questions !!

Just had my third and I’m ready to be fixed. If and when I go and they ask him for his “permission”… he better say yes or I’m going to give him a vasectomy at home.