Do my parents have a right to claim my daughter?

Call the IRS with your questions.

File first. If you pay your own Bill’s, they can’t claim her.

No they do jot claim her as they will be in trouble with the IRS how old is the child if you have been claiming her on your taxes you claim her plus if you are paying rent they need to give you a receipt and they have to claim the money that you give them as income tell you parents to give the heads a shack

That’s your child. It doesn’t matter where your live. They have no right to claim her

3 Likes

Dam rights you can refuse you take care of that child not them they have no right

You took care of her for more than half of the year there fore you claim her not them educate yourself go to IRS website to get more info so they won’t use you or make a fool out of you

1 Like

Your the mother no one has the right to take your baby away from you your family is messed up who would do that to thier own daughter. Definitely not a good role model for your child hence why they wont let them claim your daughter. Children are happiest when they with thier folks. Why would they want to hurt you like this is beyond me. I hope things pan out for you amd that you can get out of that house asap and that you make a good life for you and your family with out them

She said she was a stay at home mom where’s her money come from

You will absolutely not get in trouble if you don’t let them claim her. Anything after that I would ask for free consultation on the matter, but I know for sure they would not get into trouble not claiming her. They just want to use the child tax credit.

If you’ve been paying them rent, paying for all of yours and your daughter’s things, then no, your parents CANNOT legally claim your daughter and THEY would be committing fraud. It doesn’t matter where you live, if they’re not financially supporting you and your child they CANNOT legally claim your child.

You’re parents are some fucking assholes. Do not let them claim your child!

They cannot legally claim your child. You give birth to her. Your her mother and next of kin. The only way I see it being a problem is if your abusing the child and the social services are involved. Best of luck x

They cannot.this is clearly emotional blackmail.ur parents is just for the money. Dont be a fool to let they claim her.iits not their right.

1 Like

Do you have taxable income? Do you file taxes ? They can claim her if certain criteria is met. Check with the IRS.

Sorry… “Claim her”??
I don’t understand how the IRS / Army Base works… but YOU gave birth to your child - so she’s YOU’RS - no one has the right to Claim her apart from you & her Father… she’s a Child NOT a Possession!!

1 Like

Claim your rights after all u r the mother

They cant really claim her because they arent providing support for her. Juat because you all live there is not how that works. They can get in trouble for it. Also, if they do and then you file you both will get audited and pulled. Do not give her ss# to them. They cant file without it.

5 Likes

it is ILLEGAL for them to claim your child if they are not providing over 75% of her living support

just putting a roof over her head does not count - particularly if you are paying rent.

They can’t claim her unless you allow them. They are bullshitting you. If you pay your own way100% claim her and don’t feel guilty. If they help out then you flame her and give them a small percentage like 10 %

5 Likes

Nope. They can not claim your child legally unless they provide 51% of ALL her expenses. My parents tried to have me allow them to claim my daughter b/c we lived there. It’s against the law to claim a child who does not receive the majority of financial support. Also, you may want to say, and have written in a contract, that you don’t pay any utilities, rent or food and then you’ll happily let them claim her😃

3 Likes

No one has any right to claim your daughter let them know you spoke to a tax professional and they confirmed that so your parents can get off your back. They’re just trying to take advantage of you I’m sorry to say.

They basically committed fraud by claiming her. If you pay rent and buy your groceries and receive child support, you are supporting your child and nobody…except the biological father should be allowed to claim her unless your parents have custody. Best advice is consult a tax professional and arm yourself with FACTS and LAWS to counter their argument in the future.

4 Likes

I live with my parents and i claim my kids i do work but even if you dont they cant claim your child just because you live with them

2 Likes

They cant claim her without your consent. If they do and you claim her yourself too then both of you will get audited. Whoever has custody of the child gets the taxes

2 Likes

I was told i can claim a grandchild if they live in my house more than 6 months

3 Likes

No you cannot get in trouble for not letting them claim your child !! If you have all rights then their is nothing they can do !!

5 Likes

U don’t have to let them claim ur kid. But I would suggest finding a place of ur own cuz u can say u pay rent nd buy food in court but if u have no proof u could loose and if that happens they could fight for costody so they can claim the kid until its an adult.

If you pay rent, you are a roommate. They cannot claim her, unless they are the parents.

1 Like

She isnt theirs and doesn’t have custody of her and would have to provide such paperwork so no you wont get in trouble if you dont let them

1 Like

I wouldn’t think they could unless they adopt her. Not only could they get in trouble with the IRS, maybe child services as well. Maybe YOU could be in trouble if you let them do this.

I lived with my dad and claimed my kids if they don’t support her they are commiting fraud

2 Likes

They can only claim her if they have legal guardianship of her which is ordered by the courts. U can contact the IRS to let them know they fraudulently claimed her on taxes without legal right to.

1 Like

Nope they can now get in trouble I’d report them

Talk to a tax accountant. H and R Block. They will give you free advice. They are trained on tax laws

1 Like

Do they need to claim her as a dependent because of military housing? Military/base housing has different requirements.

1 Like

If they lived with her for at least 6 months and you didn’t have a return to carry her on then yes, they are allowed to.

1 Like

If you pay rent and stuff then I don’t see how they can. I wouldn’t

They will have to prove they are supporting her,do you or spouse work?They would have to have your permisson to claim her.

Nope legally if they didn’t support her financially they are no entitled to any money for her. They can get in trouble

No they can’t. There’s a paper you have to sign giving them permission.

1 Like

If you pay rent…they have to prove the supply more than a state set percentage of yours & her care…You have to give them permission to do it too…

1 Like

THEY can get in trouble for claiming her talk to the IRS they will tell you what to do

They can get in trouble for it

No, they can’t claim her. And they can’t claim you either.

They are crazy as hell…and that mess doesn’t even make sense :unamused:

Your daughter YOU claim her.

What a couple of con artists, trying to scare you into allowing them to commit fraud

1 Like

Check with your attorney

NO you won’t get into trouble, they are just being greedy.

No they can get in trouble.for claiming her… not u

Well is no one else interested in claiming her ? You or her Dad. ? If not I really don’t see the harm in them claiming her as you both lived with them, even though you paid your own way, won’t hurt anyone. If you stop them, no one gets anything by the sounds of it. If you allow them to claim her, and they don’t share what ever tax they got on her claim, then I guess that’s them feeling entitled under the living circumstances. :woman_shrugging: and I might add I’m not sure it’s legal for them to claim her as “their” dependent ?

My daughter and her four kids live with me and the only way I can claim them is if I pay more than half of their living expenses for the ENTIRE YEAR not just a month or two or here and there so no they absolutely can not claim her and you will not get in any trouble

45 Likes

How would you get in trouble with the irs? If baby daddy is supporting you guys your parents have zero right to claim her. A stay at home mom is not considered a job (even thought it really is). Tell your parents to bugger off!!

14 Likes

Nope. She is your dependent and your responsibility. They would have to somehow prove they support her and have a court order to claim her. Just like a parent of a divorce. My daughters dad is British and I retired AF. They can’t claim you and they sure as hell can’t claim your daughter. And if you live on a military base, it is illegal for them to charge you rent because they don’t pay rent.

44 Likes

How are you getting your income if you are a stay at home home mom. If the baby daddy is providing you support I dont think you have to claim that or file taxes

8 Likes

They can’t claim her without your permission first off. If you would not be in the picture and they are supplying everything for your child then that’s different but clearly they are just robbing you and your child of money… second why are they making you pay rent to them when they don’t pay anything with living on base? Sorry hunny but your parents are doing you so wrong.

15 Likes

I’d only let them claim her if they were giving you the money! You won’t get into trouble with the IRS…they’re tricking you into letting them make money off YOUR child. Don’t do it! And why are you paying rent? If they live on a base they aren’t even paying rent or utilities. They are doing you so wrong!

6 Likes

My parents did claim my kids when I lived at home, but your still not get in trouble by not letting them… maybe by then, bit but by the IRS. There can be issues if they claim and then you do, but I’m pretty sure they would favor you over them because you do live in the home with the child and you have custody of her too. They should be giving you at least half if they do. Since you have nowhere to go, I would let them do it, that’s just me personally.

No!!, your parents do NOT have the right to claim your daughter. She is your child and it’s up to you if you want them to claim her, but you do not have to give up that right. You can also contact the IRS and they will advise you your rights. Your parents are being selfish and you should be giving them all your money, maybe rent and utilities, but if you provide everything else, that should be it!!! Good luck to you and get professional advice

1 Like

You would have to provide your parents with your daughters social security number, just refuse to give it to them. You are paying rent and providing for your own child, it’s a room mate situation. Also you all live on base, so your parents don’t pay rent.

7 Likes

She’s your child and you can claim her. Unless rules are different somehow on an army base, she’s yours, you support her and you have every right to claim her. When tax time comes around again you let them know you are claiming her on your taxes. If they still claim her on theirs, they will be the ones in trouble with the IRS NOT YOU. Just make sure you have all her papers (birth cert, SS card and even crib cards if you still have them)

9 Likes

My daughter and her kids lived with me. They were on my insurance, she payed no rent and I bought the food and most of their clothes. They have to be able to prove that they pay for 50% of their living expenses to be able to claim them.

6 Likes

Yes they lied to you, they have no right to claim her, if can prove to the IRS you pay for rent in their home then you can claim her, refuse them using her SS# and claim her yourself, my daughter lives with me along with her 3 kids and she claims her kids, just claim her this year before they do. If they best you to it still claim her and the IRS will send you a letter asking you to send your proof of parental status like her Birth certificate and proof that you pay rent, start paying rent with money order or check, or even money wire just so you have proof, good luck.

5 Likes

After my divorce I lived with my parents for five years I did not pay rent but I did pay for her child care while at work and all her clothes they absolutely refused to claim her on their taxes since she is my daughter they told me to use it to get my finances in order so I could eventually move out On my own. So no your parents shouldn’t claim her they are in it not to help you but to help themselves. Also you cannot get in trouble with the irs for claiming your own child

6 Likes

if they did claim her as a dependent, would she get free Tricare healthcare and you could have commissary and BX privlages? They can not claim her just as a tax deduction… also if you let them do that you might lose custidy of her…be careful

7 Likes

She’s your child, you claim her. You pay her expenses and take care of her then you deserve the tax break. You can let them claim her if you want to though. But just a thought, make sure you have somewhere to go if you claim her (just in case) because they may kick you out over it. I’ve seen it over and over unfortunately

3 Likes

They can claim her if you allow them. They also can claim you because you live in their home and you do not work. You can let them know that you will allow it but they have to share the money with you. Are you living in their home rent Free? If you are, they are helping you being that rents are incredibly high. If you are not working, you cannot file taxes.

No way she is your dependent they would have to prove they support her an theruth is they can’t charge u rent either if they really love you both they need to show it an love u

1 Like

They may tell you to get your own house or apartment. is what you can do. You are in your twenties. They do not have to provide for you. Get an apartment with what you pay them. Start your life you are a mother now.

So if ur not working how can u claim her??.. how can u file with no job or w2 ???..let ur parents claim her…they did take u both in…

3 Likes

They have to be providing everything for her in order to claim her. My daughter lives with me and she claims her daughter on her taxes. Not me. Also, you get a bigger child credit by claiming her yourself. You have custody you claim.

Ummm your her parent they are not, technically they could get in trouble for claiming her when they are NOT her parent or legal guardian. Not sure why your parents are trying to do a power trip on you when your in your 20’s smh. If it makes you feel at ease call a tax preparer, they answer questions for free.

6 Likes

She is Your Daughter, Not theirs!! Your Daughter Your Dependent! I would redo all your past taxes and claim YOUR DAUGHTER AS YOUR DEPENDENT Like your suppose to. When the IRS comes back on your Parents & asks them why they thought they had the right to claim her, Instead of rightfully giving that to you. Your MOM then can argue with the IRS. And all those lies she has been telling you will fly over like a lead balloon with the IRS. You can call the IRS if you want and validate what everyone is saying to you! REFUSE TO LET THEM CLAIM HER!! And you claim her YOURSELF!!!

1 Like

Please talk with a qualified tax preparer as there are eligibility requirements that must be met in order for your parents to legally claim your child. Parents have first right to claim as long as they have custody. Grandparents would need to provide the majority of the child’s care and the child not be claimed by a parent in order to legally claim on their taxes. Most tax preparers will offer free advice. Take advantage of this.

5 Likes

Sounds like your parents are trying to make money off of you and your child. The only way they can claim her as a dependent is if they are providing more than 50% of her support. You claim her as YOUR dependent.

12 Likes

You stay in their home let them claim her or move on your own and take care of everything then you claim her be thankful you have parents to live with !

11 Likes

No they can not claim her unless they provide more then 50 % of her financial needs which they do not. So tell them you will be reporting the rent you pay them as they have to claim it as income and pay taxes on it

7 Likes

If you support her. ie pay rent food etc. you are the one to claim her. You would get in trouble with it’s if you both claim her. She is yours to claim

1 Like

Unless you are their dependent, they can’t claim your daughter. If you both file and claim her, they’ll get in trouble, not you.

2 Likes

You won’t get in trouble but they can for claiming your child.

4 Likes

So,if they gave you some of the income tax refund would it have been ok they claimed her or were you going to let someoneelse claim her and that’s why you’re really mad?I’m just wondering because you’re not working and can’t claim her.Also,how much does the rent you pay cover all their household expenses with you and your daughter staying home all day.

2 Likes

We are full custody of our great grand daughter but all her food clothes and needs and her mom still claims her

1 Like

You need to talk with a tax lawyer and a family law lawyer, because your paying for her care and the dad is providing support perhaps you need to find your own place to live, even if it a decent one bedroom apartment, your not going to get in trouble with the IRS, the question is are you still a minor child, what is the reason you can’t join the father, talk with a family law lawyer on your rights and the best thing you can do for your situation, good luck.

1 Like

Even when she doesn’t work she will get money. But how much rent do you pay. Probably should be grateful they give you a roof over your head.

2 Likes

As much of a pain it’ll be … When paying for everything save every receipt … For rent use money order or check and send a memo for what the money is for to both your parents and yourself … Perferably through email. Show you can provide for the 2 of you by leaving yourself a paper trail. What they are doing im almost certain is tax fraud. Then again im not 100% positive either. Consult a lawyer or even a tax pro as they can both better assist you further.

1 Like

Nope you support yourself and your child. They have no right. And no you will not get in trouble with the irs if you don’t claim them - how can you with W2?

1 Like

You get to claim her because you’re paying more than 50% of her support. They’re the ones who can get in trouble because they don’t pay more than 50% of her support.

2 Likes

Who are you paying rent to on an army base cause they are taking your fathers BAH for rent. Just throwing that out there. Also if you live on post and in base housing under your parents, you would have to be listed as a “dependent” to live there on the legal side.

1 Like

They can get in trouble for claiming her… not the other way around. Unless it’s in a child support contract (meaning you’re disabled and they take care of both of you 100%, which isn’t the case) the parental parents claim their kids. That’s your child tax credit.

1 Like

Nope cant claim her without your permission, and they are not financially supporting either of you…

1 Like

Put a pin on her social security number, no one can claim her with that pin. So it doesn’t matter what your parents want. Don’t give them the pin.

1 Like

If they don’t pay over half her expenses then they can’t!

2 Likes

I’m sick, trying to get disability. My sons father has never paid a dime in child support so my dad picks up the slack. I have no problem with him claiming my son, but if you are paying rent, food, clothing ect. then they have no right to claim your daughter. In fact they could get in trouble.

They can’t claim her without your consent. You as the parent should file as head of household and claim your child. They would be breaking the law if they claim her not you.

1 Like

send them a registered letter that they are not to claim her since they don’t pay what they need to in order to claim on taxes. You will not get in trouble with the IRS if you don’t let them claim her. You will have thre receipt from the letter you sent to them if they choose to claim her anyway. You can call IRS and they can advise you. If they don’t have receipts for what they say they did…then they will get in trouble…

You claim her then move out with the money you receive. Time to be responsible on your own. Your child, tour little family unit.

They would have to be able to prove that they have provided more than 50% of her living expenses. If you pay them “rent” for living with them, they can’t use shelter and utilities in that equation. Also, if they are collecting rent while also living on a military base, they could be in trouble.

1 Like

That have to financially support your daughter over 50% of anything that costs to take care of her for the entire year…If they don’t then they can get in trouble for claiming her and if the child isn’t theirs it asks does she have an agreement with the parent to claim her and if she answers yes to both those questions and it’s not true then it would be fraud

She’s your daughter… To be honest here they are the ones that might get in trouble… If the IRS does an Audit they don’t have proof that they more than 50% supported your daughter… Looks like they want the Xtra money…

If you are a “Stay at Home Mom” you have no income to report. Therefore, you should not be entitled to a TAX REFUND because you did not pay any TAXES. Your Parents should be able to claim you (not working) and your daughter as dependents when they file their taxes. YOU and your daughter are dependent on them.