Do my parents have a right to claim my daughter?

I lived with my parents with my son and i paid rent and food also. My parents didn’t do that and why should they i was the one taking care of him they didn’t have the right to claim him, and neither does your parents that is so wrong.

Uh your the mother I can’t imagine you getting in trouble in fact you can claim her yourself as a dependent and get money for being her parent… I allowed my grandparents to claim my daughter as we live with them but it didn’t work out as they didn’t make enough to do so… it’s not a crime to say no… you can ask the irs

They can’t claim her. If you file regardless if they do it first you can still claim her and they will get in trouble and have to pay the money back

They can’t claim her unless they pay more than half her support and need your permission and her social number

If they can prove that they support her financially more than half the time, then yes. But obviously that’s not the case and can get in trouble if they try

1 Like

You are over 18 and it is your child. The question becomes did you provide over half of your child’s support. If the father of the child is supporting you both then it is your decision. My son’s uncle tried to claim my son once when he stayed with them and also took care of a younger child and got him to school etc. I also claimed my son. The IRS sent me a letter on why i claimed him. I sent back all i did…provided health insurance, provided all his basic needs…toiletries and clothes and his room was still his room. I won.

1 Like

if you not working they can claim both of you and give you the refund they get because they claim you but only if you let them do it but if they dont pay any living expenses more then 6 mount they cant claim you or your daughter have to call the IRS and tell them you will not get in trouble if they didnt claim her but you and them get in trouble if they claim her buy the way i do taxes this my job i am tax professional and if you have any a question you can send me on the messenger

If you don’t work,how can you pay rent.Who ever said that living in base housing is free,they are wrong.If the father is supporting the child and thats what you pay rent with,that’s another story.Know one lives for free.If your parents want you to pay some rent,I don’t think that’s unreasonable.If you don’t like the arrangements,you should get a job and take care of yourself and your baby.As far as claiming your daughter on their taxes,why would they do that if they are accepting money from you?I do believe you are responsible for the life you have chosen,but I don’t believe your parents should take advantage of you either.You arn’t the first single mom out there.Go make a life for yourself.You can do anything if you put your mind to it.

If you lived with your parents for at least 6 months outta of the year, you or the father did not work and pay taxes then yes they can claim them on taxes. But no one else can be eligible to claim them . I know this because for the past 4 years, I have claimed my 2 grandkids. My son and his girlfriend lived with me. Neither worked. I provided everything and supported everyone. I did however, give my son half my tax money for the kids. I thought this was fair. There was no one else period that could claim them.

She is yours u will get money if u claim her 25 hundred per child I think I know its something because my son was not working and he claimed his daughter and got 2000 or 3000 for his daughter

And if they really get pissy, you might want to see if they’re claiming your rent and food payments as extra income. If they’re not, that IS against the tax code.

1 Like

They have no right if you are paying your own way. However if you do not file taxes because you do not have income in the US , it would make sense for them to claim her and split the amount with you.

She is your dependent. Either you or the father claim her. She lives with you and you pay rent…it would be illegal for them to claim her. The only way they can claim her legally is if they provided 50% or more of her needs.

I worked for the IRS in audit. Be very careful because you are about to open a very ugly can of worms. If you are living on a military base or have an id to enter base you must be a dependent. 2 keep all receipts for everything you pay or purchase for yourself and daughter. If you are going to claim yourself or her you will be asked to provide proof that over half of both of your finances were provided by you. If you don’t work where is this income coming from. When you file are you paying taxes for all of the unearned income you are getting from other sources to pay half of both of your care. And now the elephant in the room, are you willing to possibly lose your families support because somehow you might get a few hundred dollars to spend the way you want. In audit they take a look at everything if its your patents and you and your daughter thats 4 people now how much is housing, any additional utilities like cable or phones. How much in food or products they purchase that you use. Your 21 if you don’t care for there rules or request for help there are many benefits out there for you to utilize. But again you will need to provide proof of actual income so that you do not accidentally commit fraud yourself.

1 Like

They cannot legally claim her without your consent…since you are paying for rent and food and provided her care.

I’m sad you are having to deal with this. I would seek tax info help. I’m sure their is someone on the base that you can talk with that has knowledge of who can claim your child. Best of luck to you. Prayers your parents respect your wishes and drop the idea of claiming your child.
My son had no problem letting my husband and I to claim his child b/c she lived with us for six yrs and we paid for all of her needs. She was even on my health insurance. My son lived elsewhere. We had a nice transition over when he got married and she moved in with him. She twenty two now and on her own.

You need to talk to a tax person in your state. That is just wrong of them to do that especially if they are only housing you but you supply everything else, that is selfish on their part

The thing is you have to be able to prove you are paying over 50% of her living expenses or they can try to claim her. But they have to claim the expenses they are paying as well. Keep track of everything you pay.

Do you have a job with a w2 form if so you claim her if not and they are supporting her let them claim her

1 Like

If you do not work and do not need to file taxes I do not see the problem with them claiming her. They would get a credit on their taxes and you do live with them. If you file taxes I would claim her then

They can’t claim her and they are wrong for trying to. You will not get in trouble with the IRS she’s your child.

Double check with IRS, call them but I believe they would have to provide more than 50% of her care to legally claim her. If you’re paying rent, etc that isn’t the case.

No you can not get in trouble with the IRS… the only way they can forceably make you let them claim your daughter, is if they paid for 50%+ of her support…(clothes, food, doctor’s, rent, etc…) and they must have receipts, to prove their case…
As you stated, you have done all this, and then some…(for them)…The reason I know this, is because my father, had to do this when he claimed my niece…because he was 90% taking care of her…
Best of Luck, Hun

Do your taxes and see how much of a return you have. Then have them do yours with and without claiming her. Figure out which is the better return and split the difference. If you were not married they could claim you both. The IRS is only interested that she is not claimed twice. By the way, room and board is contributing to over half of your income, and you must have been a dependent for half the tax year. Seems like there should be a way to work this out in the best interest of all.

If you provided over half her support for the yearit is your dependent, not theirs. They can get in trouble for fraud, not you, if they claim her when they dont provide over half her support for the year.

No, (from my understanding) all they can claim is head of household but you claim her as your dependant.

She is not their child they cannot claim her! The IRS would not let them. What they pay or don’t pay has no bearing on this. Call the IRS if you are in doubt.

Shame on your parents. They should be helping you out. Sounds like you pay your way, so no. They have no right to claim her.

They will get in trouble. I have full custody of my granddaughter my husband and I claimed her then my daughter claimed her and my daughter got in trouble.

There is a percentage they would have to be paying first.Sounds like you got this so far.

You need to find d your own place. Your parents are coming fraud by letting you live with them on base, plus charging u rent. I sure hope neither have to have clearance renewed. Forget the irs. They could be charged with fraud. You need to get out with your child.

If you had earned income then you should claim her. If you did not then they should.

If they dont have guardianship or custody they cant claim her. I mean they can, but they arent supposed to.

File first. Two people cannot claim same dependent and their return will be denied.

Legally they can’t claim her. In order for them to claim her they have to provide over 50% of her support. From what you said they do not provide that support so therefore, if they claim her, that is tax fraud, a federal crime, according to the IRS. I do taxes so I am knowledgeable about this subject.

Yes, you can deny them to claim her, who pays for the childs medical visits. They can not and what they are doing is Tax fraud. You pay for your family.

No you want my son wanted to claim my granddaughter that I was raising but wanted to claim her because she was his I wouldn’t let him I did and never got in trouble he would of

Are you still a dependent because if not you living on base may be illegal… that being said unless they provide over 50% of her care ie rent food clothes then no they can’t claim your child

Who ever claims her has to be providing more that 50% of her support.

Simply stated…if she is not their dependent or have custody of her…they have no right…

When my kids were little (20 years ago) my ex was in jail, and his wife (at the time) claimed my kids, even though I had full custody. I also claimed them, I had proof I had full custody, but nothing came of it. Neither of us got audited or anything. Claim them and then show proof if questioned…

If you didn’t work then you have no taxable income, they can technically claim you as well as her

1 Like

Mitary do pay rent when living in military housing. They take the active duty member’s Housing Allowance from their pay. If they lived out in town, they would then receive the housing allowance to help them with their rent or mortgage.

She’s your dependent not theirs. You would have to give them written permission.

Actually, if your parents live on an army base and their housing is paid for by the government and they have you living on base with them paying rent…they may be the ones that get in trouble. Also, are they going to claim your rent as income? Your child is still your dependent, especially since your husband is contributing to the household.

I’d say no they can’t legally claim her but its best to call the IRS and ask all your questions. If they already claimed her you can also turn them if but thats up to you

No you won’t. They looking at money especially if they’re not giving you anything for claiming her. They don’t claim half of her support anyway. No.

She is your daughter and you have every right to claim her, not your parents. Only if you give them permission

If you’re not working, where’s the money coming from?
They cannot claim your child unless you agree with it.

You claim her, she is yours and if they aren’t supporting her, then it’s your right to claim het

Here’s the thing. If you don’t have any taxable income, claiming her on your taxes won’t benefit anyone because you can’t get a tax refund if you don’t pay taxes. However, if your parents can claim her, and maybe you, they might get a substantial tax refund and/child tax credits. They don’t have to prove they supplied over 50% of her support if you aren’t trying to claim her too. Your tax consultant can tell you which scenario will provide the biggest return. Then your parents could give a portion of their total refund ( whatever amount applies to your daughter). Besides child tax credits, they could claim more dependents, putting them in a lower tax bracket, and get that much more to pass on to you and your daughter.

No they don’t have a right to claim her. They have to prove that they provide 6 months of support for her.

Wow, I’m so appalled. Listen to these good neighbours. It’s just so unruly of parents to even suggest. May god bless you on your way out the door.

If they do that against your will that’s illegal, talk with them about it tell them they can if you get half the return,they make more money Soo it might be beneficial to you both.

If you pay rent then she’s your dependent not theirs… They shouldn’t be claiming you or your daughter… someone is your dependent if you are financially responsible for them… Unless they are completely financially supporting you then you and your daughter are not their dependents

Your dependent…your tax credit. Your parents are wrong!!! Or just manipulating you because your unsure of this situation.

They cannot claim her if they are not the legal guardians of the child period. You must provide documentation as right to claim do unless they have custody they cannot. Even if they claimed her they would have to provide proof or you could file for tax fraud. On the other hand you could be on the street so choose your battles wisely.

If you support her they are not entitled to claim her just because you live there.

They cannot claim her and have no rights unless you allow them to…end of story.

My daughter lives with us she let us claim my grandkids but we gave HER the money we received for them even with the stimulus check we did same.You WILL NOT get in trouble with the IRS if they dont claim them.

Unless they’re claiming you as a dependent, they shouldn’t be claiming her. If you’re paying rent/groceries I would assume that means you have a job and can therefore get a tax refund at all?

No they can’t. You are paying rent to your parents and providing for your daughter. They would be filing a fraudulent return. They would get in trouble with the IRS.

If you provide over 50% of the household support, they can’t claim you

No they cannot claim your daughter or you since you aren’t dependant on them ( you stated you pay rent , food etc) . So what would happen is the irs won’t give either room yall a refund and will do an investigation ( audit) and as long as you have proof then your fine

1 Like

They have to pay more than 50% of her living expenses in order to claim her as a dependent

Nope. As long as you pay the higher percentage of support of your child, they can’t claim her. If they paid the major support of your child, then yes. It all has to do with the dependent part of you and your child. Are you their dependent or self sufficient? You can get a lot of free tax questions answered from the IRS helpline.

Girl, claim your child. Sge came out of your vagina abd she’s yours!! Not theirs! You have proof you support her, don’t be scared. Save all your receipts!! This makes me mad for you!!

Unless they have custody and proof of it they can’t claim her

You are her parent. She is YOUR dependant. If you are the one supporting her than no they can not claim her.

They can’t claim her unless THEY …your parents… Paid for over half of her care cost … And if you claim her on your taxes…

She is your dependent not theirs if they claim her and you claim her they will be the ones in trouble

Let them do it then stand back and watch the IRS get them. Know an individual who had granddaughter and daughter live with her. She claimed GD. Next year she owed IRS 1800.00. They garnished her wages.

If you don’t have any income why wouldn’t you let them as appreciation for letting you stay there? Make an agreement to let them claim her for a few months rent free. If you or her dad files than absolutely not. When I lived at home, I also paid my way, but would give them extra at tax or other times to show that I appreciate the fact that I d pay a heck of a lot more elsewhere

4 Likes

You have to sign an IRS form 8332 for them to claim your child. If they claim them without the signed form from you and you also claim the child they would be filing a fraudulent tax return which is illegal.

If they claim her and you claim her. They will be in the creek with out a paddle.

no they have no right to her at all,they are trying to tale her away from you,if they claim for two years they can use that agaist you.

If you are living on base do you have a military ID. If you do at 21 you have to be a full time student or medically or mentally disabled. Then your are there dependent your father had to provide proof. If you don’t work how or where are you getting income. Are you also getting state aid or are you also getting medical benefits from the military. Who is paying for your daughters medical care. Are you the one so called double dipping to get what you want without even considering someone else. This doesn’t seem like it could turn out well for anyone especially if you choose to alienate the ones willing to try and help you.

They have no right to claim her. If you let them you could get in trouble. I went through this with my father and almost sued him for it. Do not let them claim her!!!

If you or your husband don’t claim her then why not let your parents claim her it would be a waste of money for someone not claim her.

if they have custody they can claim her if not then no.

If you don’t have a job to be able to claim her; your parents should claim her.

Whoever has legal custody of the child can claim her as a dependent.

Unless your parents are supporting you 100% they can’t claim her or you. You’re drawing a paycheck so you get to claim her.

They have to have written proof that they have guardianship of her for minimum of six months. Been there. Done that

I’ve claimed my daughter and her two children the past two years.

You need to claim her. They haven’t supported her. And you can prove it with your expenses. So claim her and get a place of your own. Cuz your parents will get audited.

How are you paying bills if your a star at home mom. Y’all do live in there house and I’m sure they do foot some of the cost. Of it wasn’t for your parents you wouldn’t have a place to live. So maybe you should let them file her

Actually if they live on base they could get in trouble for you being there.

Your parents could actually be the ones in trouble for charging you rent on government owned property! They are, however, for government employees and their dependents. Technically you and your child are not their dependents; that may be the reason they insist on claiming her.

No they can not claim her. If they dont contribute in taking care of your child at least half of the year they cant and no u will not get introuble with the IRS for not letting them claim your child. Only u can

Unless they provide 51% or more of her support thay legally can not claim your daughter !! Been there !

They can’t claim her without your consent, if they do they will be in trouble.

You have all the rights in the world to claim her as head of household. My daughter and her 4 kids live with me and she claims them.

You’ll not get into any trouble and it’s sickening to think your parents are exploiting your situation in that manner.

No you won’t get in trouble but they will if they claim her and you do also. They have to have paid over half of her expenses and you would have to agree to let them claim her. She is your child, so claim her.

Question? If you don’t work, you don’t have income so do you pay U.S taxes?? If the father is a British citizen maybe he pays taxes? Just wondering!

You claim her they have no rights unless they have full custody of her or if they adopted her so you tell them to go to hell

If you don’t file tax returns or have an income you can file with. What’s the big deal? They are letting you live with them even if your baby daddy supports you. Why would you rather no one get anything?

Legally they can’t charge you rent if they live in base housing as they aren’t paying rent. Unless you relinquish your parental rights they can’t claim her.

When in doubt call the IRS they are the ones to ask no one else . You should claim your daughter.