Do you use melatonin for kids?

My 11 yr old takes it every night because he has really bad anxiety. His therapist recommended it I use to be against it but now I’m not ask that much. It really helps my son cope.

1 Like

We occasionally use it. My daughter use to take it pretty regularly but it’s only when she really can’t sleep any more

My grandkids ages 9,6, and 4 take it with no side effects and it helps the tremendously.

No melatonin for kids!

1 Like

I use melatonin on my 10 yr old she was up 24/7 up until had to get her up. She gets bath at at 8 bed 9 every night and now maybe falls asleep 9:30 10:00 sense I give as needed now like Sunday nights before bed sometimes during week. But before she started preschool and school otherwise no sleep here.if lucky sleep I was running on an hour.

1 Like

Cut the nap completely out

4 Likes

Cut out the nap before giving him something to sleep.

4 Likes

I used melatonin on my son at that age and it does help. I have 3 boys and they all have adhd so the melatonin definitely helps. If you’re worried about the safety of it use a low dose and only use it when you really need to.

My Dr recommended melatonin patches not the gummies

Why is he napping at school?! That would completely throw out any real chance of good sleep hygiene. I would encourage quiet time in bed with low lighting. You could try a sleep lamp. Don’t bath before bed either. Maybe a milky drink. Some people can take hours to fall asleep so what you need really is a routine that doesn’t exhaust you too. If he’s sleeping an hour at school then he probably only needs eight or nine hours at night.

I would recommend you have school.drop the nap and see how he does!

2 Likes

My 4yo has Melatonin, we got prescribed it because his sleep is atrocious, he also has development delay too xxx

I take it to doesn’t hurt me

1 Like

Try washing his bedding and night time clothes in melatonin epsom salts

I stopped melatonin it messes up there sleep schedules nogo for us and it causes bed wetting and nightmares I noticed we threw it out

Melatonin caused me to have bad nightmares and to be exhausted all day the next day, so I won’t be giving it to my children.

1 Like

My 5yr old has severe ADHD and he gets 5mg melatonin at night time to help him relax to fall asleep otherwise he’ll stay awake at all hours otherwise with NO side-effects. His pediatrician is fine with it and recommended it

6 Likes

Our son has melatonin (ADHD ) so sleep was a problem and I must say it has helped us. Melatonin is a natural hormone so it can really help

My son is 4 years old and has ENDLESS amounts of energy. The days where he is off the hook, tired but too wound up to settle down I will give him melatonin. Maybe 1-2 times a week. Some weeks he gets none… it all depends on his energy/tired level. It works wonders for us.

Go get one mg gummies and that will be enough to help him calm down and sleep. I had to do it with my son. We did a week on a week off so he didn’t rely on it every night or get really use to them.

2 Likes

I give it to my daughter every night! Doctor said nothing is wrong with taking it! She’s 7

3 Likes

Every once in a while is fine. But to take it regularly will cause issues down the line. It may be “natural” but it will hinder the body making its own, those causing dependency on it to sleep.

4 Likes

Body makes melatonin. If you add or substitute you interfer with bodies ability to produce it. Per my doctor

3 Likes

Don’t do it. Everyone has different sleep cycles.
There’s many other options prior to medicating a 4 year old.

3 Likes

Drop the nap and start the bedtime routine at 6. My daughter is full of energy but she’s up at 6:30 in school by 8:30 and in bed by 7:00

1 Like

And we wonder why so many are turning to drugs, natural herbs and get addicted. I guess by that time parents are no longer medicating these young adults so they decide they need a-little more calming or energy and they medicate themselves. I pray for this next generation because parents turn to medicines, rather than just deal with personalities of their babies. Maybe try a warm bath early with some lavender and don’t actually put anything but aromas in their systems.
I feel so bad for the kids that parents can’t cope.

2 Likes

8pm is pretty late for a 4 yr old you might be missing his natural sleep wave - have you tried a wind down routine of bath and stories? Maybe start this earlier say at 6.30 and aim for sleep by 8 watch some old super nanny clips for the bed routine it’s amazing good luck mama it’s not easy at all doing it single handed I hope you be kind to yourself and get some recharge time in the evenings xx

My pediatrician did not recommend it.

Adding Melatonin might affect his normal hormones in the body, it’s not recommended. Please cut the naptime, avoid sugary foods after 5pm, go for a little walk after dinner even if it’s just 10minutes to get some fresh air, start bedtime at 6-7 pm, he’ll sleep before 9.

1 Like

Dream water works great on kids

yup . 10mg they out.

Melatonin is safe and natural ! I give my daughter. Kids pure Zzz’s every once in awhile when she doesn’t wanna go to bed and it’s 1 am lol It’s perfectly safe and my daughters 3

My nephew takes it, he’s almost 5. Every night he takes it at around 8pm and goes to sleep a little after that. Never had any problems with it.

It made my daughter constipated. I don’t recommend.

If the doctor says no, you should listen.

6 Likes

Try taking him outside to run around after dinner. I would not give him anything other than physical exercise.

1 Like

Seriously :roll_eyes: ild never give that 2 my children

1 Like

My kids use it and no problems

I would look into a sleep study. My 5 year old daughter had a horrible time getting to sleep and staying asleep. Here she has sleep apnea. Often in kids it’s because of enlarged adenoids or tonsils.

2 Likes

Does he have any screen time before bed? TV tablets computers and phones have blue light that tricks your circadian rhythm because it simulates daylight and therefore inhibits natural melatonin release.

Perhaps end screen time 2 hours before bedtime and see what happena

1 Like

How is he doing academically? You should maybe get him in to something he likes - to use up some of his energy. Melatonin is okay but no more than 2 times a week - also what’s his diet like ? Peanut butter tend to counteract sugar-

Honestly, you want him to go to bed sooner start the bedtime routine sooner. Dinner shower/bath read book and bed all done before 6 or 7 at the latest

2 Likes

Melatonin is safe, however, long term use can lead to dependency. He may need it to fall asleep permanently so, always start with a low dose and skip it on nights where you don’t work. Moderation is key.

2 Likes

My son is 3 and I only use it for times he takes late naps and wakes up late I’ll give him one to go back to sleep or if he’s having a extra hard time going to bed I’ll give him one but it’s not a regular thing cuz it came mess with there natural melatonin they produce.

Benadryl is what my mom used to give us if we had trouble sleeping …

2 Likes

Melatonin is 100% safe to use. I contemplated and stressed for over a year before I finally tried it under the advice of my doctor. I tried everything with my youngest. No screen time 2 hours before bed, no naps, no caffeine, classical music, reading, laying in bed with him, lots of exercise, cut out sugar…I could go on and on.
I only give it during the week during school. On nights when we can stay up later I do not. Be your own judge. Do your research. This is my experience. Good luck momma or dad!

2 Likes

I have been using it for mainly my son since he was about 5. It helps so much. :heart:

2 Likes

When my oldest was at that age she had the same problem, wasn’t about her energy, because she was very active. I started giving her 3mg at night on school nights but whenever she didn’t it we did not give it too her. After a week she no longer needed it.

I used it on my grandson who is add and adhd…he did great with it. By 11 or 12 years old he could go to sleep without it. Do what’s best for your child. They can get really stressed and emotional without enough sleep. Weigh the pros and cons. Although I don’t know of any cons.

I do when needed. 5 mg for my 8 year old and 10 for my 10 year old.

Melatonin saved my sanity!!!

1 Like

I use melatonin gummies in my kids and myself. Always have! And no problems falling asleep most nights… but when I do, they’re the answer.

Once you understand that nearly half of Americans take addictive hardcore pharmaceuticals to sleep, you understand what a true benefit melatonin is - for kids and adults.

3 Likes

How’s his screen time/tv time?

We bought our 4-year old a floor balance beam and thinkbof ways for her to jump and bounce to burn up extra energy as bedtime draws near. Works great! Give it a try!

1 Like

Talk to your pediatrician. Melatonin contains estrogen.

Ummmm honestly I think your problem is your kids doctor :grimacing: who gives you no advice and told you melatonin was dangerous??? Idk where you found him or if he even has a degree I definitely wouldn’t be taking my kid back there.

1 Like

Make sure he is not over stimulated before bed No Tv, No video games an hour before bedtime… Have quiet time, read him a story try a sound machine and teach him how to relax his body and mind.

Thank goodness for melatonin. My grandson has ADHD and he never slowed down. I don’t know why your Dr would say that. Buy it by the vitamins. They have some just for kids. Sure turned our nights around.

1 Like

At 4 he dosent need a nap
Cut that and see how it goes

1 Like

We started 1mg for my 5 year old and her doctor agreed. We started with 1mg and that helped with falling asleep but she was having vivid dreams. I cut it to 1/2 and that seems to be working well

It’s not dangerous the body naturally makes it. You can give 1mg up to 5mg (anymore than 5mg and it will cause nightmares and could cause upset stomach). Start at 1mg and if it’s not enough give another. I use the gummies at Walmart. Spring Valley Kids Melatonin 1mg (berry flavored). And cut out the nap and limit screen time an hour before bed.

I have 7yr old twins and a 10yr old…all girls :crazy_face::open_mouth:!!! The 10yr old does fine after yrs of routine bed time etc. My twins different story. I use melatonin almost nightly and the pediatrician recommend it. Also if I want them to sleep by 8-8:30…start baths and bed time at 6. Have snacks ready because baths always make them hungry. I started one on 1mg and the other who’s always had trouble sleeping at 3mg. I never go higher than 5mg and do not give it to them on winds or holiday breaks. I still stick bedtime though. Turn off any screen time at least an hour before bed. Melatonin is the NATURAL chemical your brain produces for sleep BUT once u add extra over time it’ll automatically dial down the release of it to compensate and balance out. That’s why I’m very careful and have days/time off from giving it. I don’t want to damage the natural cycle of sleep and sleep chemicals in the brain. A lot of people try to shame you for it but sleep is crucial to their development and attitude,growth, everything. Good luck momma and turn a cheek to the negative Nancy. We as momma’s know our bounds, out children and what works better than anyone

2 Likes

We found it work great one night but if we used it two nights in a row he was irrationally angry during the day. It’s bonkers, but it was every time. He was just diagnosed ADHD, I’m not sure if that imbalance affected it or not. I feel like once we got passed 5 or 6 years old he slept like a champ. It was just years 2-5/6 we struggled….:tired_face:

I would honestly start bedtime routine a lot earlier if he’s having that issue, he just needs more wind down time. Reading books, laying down watching TV etc.

1 Like

Yes i do doctor recommended

Wake him up at 5:30am too.

2 Likes

I use it during the months that the sun doesn’t go down until after my kids need to be asleep. Their brain isn’t making melatonin when the sun is still up. I use zarbee’s. It’s 1mg and made for children. I cut the tablet in half so they’re only getting half a mg.
I strongly recommend stopping the daytime naps too.

My daughter was like this as well, cut out napping and we don’t allow any tv past about 5pm, we start to get ready for bed around 6ish and we’re in bed reading 3-5 books to wind her down. She now is sleeping by 7pm and sleeping through the night. Just need to stick with this routine for about a week

1 Like

I wouldn’t give my kids melatonin & never will

3 Likes

I’m sure it’s already been mentioned, Calms Forte… they look like teething tablets. Homeopathic. They worked for us at that age.

Vicks makes kids kind with 1/2 mg per gummy. I give these to my younger kids on school nights suggest 2 but I’ve never had to use more than 1 for 2 yrs now.

Aside from the melatonin what about making his bedtime routine start a couple hours earlier? Like 530/6 bath, followed by dinner, story time or family game. Bed by 730/8?

Try the kids melatonin in gummy’s

1 Like

My son’s Dr said it was fine to give 1mg of melatonin because he wouldn’t sleep

No nap and bed earlier

1 Like

Yes I use it nightly with my 3 year old because if I don’t nobody will get any sleep

My son was on a crazy sleeping schedule waking up in middle of night and then trying to go to sleep when it was time for school or at school. I started giving him spring valley 1mg melatonin from Walmart and it worked wonders for him.

My youngest has PVS and two heart murmurs and I spoke to her cardiologist and he said she was allowed to take it. Now I will say we only used it for a week and then stoped, used it to help her get back on track after being in the hospital. Worked like a charm for her after a week she was back to her normal bedtime on her own.

My youngest (4) has sensory issues and his occupational therapist mentioned it’s good for sensory kids, I asked his dr and dr recommended as well. We get the liquid one from Amazon with elderberry in it and give him very little. It helps him relax and be ready to sleep. On occasions he doesn’t get it like New Year’s Eve or when we are camping he can easily stay awake till
1am!

Say no to naps period !

If the doctor doesn’t recommend it don’t do it !!

Take him to a pediatrician, you don’t want to have any adverse side effects. Grandmas old recipes don’t always work. It could be something he eats or drinks or he could be naturally hyper. But get professional help, and change your family doctor. I have found that since the Pandemic doctors are getting to used to these telephone appointments. They spend one day in the office and the rest is paid free time. It seems like they don’t have the time anymore. Take him like I said to a pediatrician where he can remain a patient until he’s 16 or 17 yrs old. Good luck.

I gave melatonin to one of my sons. It worked on him within 30-45 minutes he was out. I used Nature’s brand.

Melatonin isn’t addictive, is safer to use rather than any kind of sleeping pill, therefore I’d definitely say it’s fine to give your kid 1mg. I gave it to my 3 year old at the time the same amount and it really worked. Hes 16 now, and no he doesn’t use it regularly now, but he does go to bed at a normal time nowadays. Every child is different. Your kid should adjust to 1 MG for a year or two, maybe even longer. You may end up giving him more later in his years. I find it strange that the doctor said no way, may be even dangerous. I’ve never ever heard of that. My son has been in behavioral therapy since he was 3, and like I said, he’s 16 now. He has ADHD, ODD, and PTSD…most doctors I’ve ever gone to, did recommend it, bc it was better than regular sleeping pills, which they do not like at all for kids. Good luck!

The problem with melatonin is, once you start taking it, your body stops naturally producing it. So if he were to quit taking it, he would have a hard time sleeping for a while.

1 Like

My almost 5yo had so many issues sleeping, and we were always judged by other parents because we had a 6pm bedtime, my daughter could not last longer then this otherwise keeping her up longer effected her behaviour and her brain was evidently struggling, we wake at 5.30am-6am, during daylight savings this effected both my children so we used it short term to get back on track, plus there may be adhd/sensory factors, it saved everyone’s sanity including my children’s mental strain, my concerns regard the effects on their hormones later in life, especially for females and their reproductive system, so I suggest short term if at all however may sure you explore all other avenues first, such as limited screen times, more active play and mental stimulation through the day and afternoon, comfort for bedtime (fairy lights, no lights, lullaby or white noise if required, weighted blankets etc), limit sugars or trigger foods, nice calming bedtime routine as best as possible- you explore what you need too, because going through this for 5 years the various reading material they put out for parents, the input from other people was not necessarily helpful, most things didn’t help us at all we had to find our own routine and pattern that worked for our family as sometimes the phase would change or things we did would work temporarily then change again, wishing you all the best!!

No napping would fix the problem !
Make sure there is no napping. Then maybe you could sleep at night.

Yes ma’am. You can… I give my kids the melatonin 1 mg gummies.

my grandson is 10 he was like this but since melotonin u wouldnt believe the difference he has his tab at 6.30 he is usually aslweep by 8

My daughter gives it to her son who’s 6 and same would stay up all night he takes it at 8 and out before 9 not every nite and never on weekends but it’s never hurt him and he wakes up ready for the day meaning school. But they need to Stop the naps that’s a big no

1 Like

Melatonin is fine. Napping doesn’t always “fix the problem.” You got this momma!

1 Like

I use the melatonin infused bath soap it helps my nieces and my daughter heck even me sleep. Too much of the gummies could be harmful I definitely would listen to his dr. But I use the bath soap and lotion about 30-45 mins before bedtime

Start bedtime sooner! If they are overtired they are harder to get down!

I’d listen to your Dr…and cut out the nap all together.

Has your doctor looked at why your son isn’t sleeping? Just having a lot of energy isn’t reason enough to not sleep.

Using melatonin for a short while is okay. Unfortunately the body stops producing it if it’s used for a long time.

I use kids melatonin for my kids age 7 and 11

Cut the naps out first and then if not try the 1mg gummies once in a while! They are non habit forming! My 4 year old is the same way he can take a while to fall asleep as well with zero naps in the day so once in a while I’ll give him one! I find he has a more restful sleep

Before doing melatonin i would start bedtime sooner. That’s actually pretty late to start bedtime for a 4yr old. Try moving getting ready for bedtime to like 6:30 for being in bed by 7-7:30 and cut electronics at least 30mins to an hour before you start bedtime routine. If you do all that and he’s still having trouble then def get a second opinion on the melatonin thing

1 Like

My daughter takes melatonin. She’s 7 has been since age 5. 1mg. She goes to sleep within half an hour. And sleeps all night. And hasn’t had any side effects.

1 Like

My child has taken every night since she started school. Her pediatrician recommended it. It’s great for her.

3 Likes