Do your kids have rights at school?

My son has always had a cell phone for this reason… Even when he was in kindergarten, he had a phone that only made calls to me, dad.

1 Like

Get your kid a phone :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging: just make sure she only uses it when she really needs it. But I would be dammed if the school told me that my child cant call me.

2 Likes

I think it up to the teacher.

1 Like

Make your presence known at the school. Go up there and speak to the administration and the teacher. Explain that your child has the right to call you whenever she needs to. Get a little loud if you need to.

3 Likes

This is exactly why I started misbehaving at school. I was in year 7 and needed to go to the toilet the teacher refused to let me (I had just gotten my period and was far too embarrassed to tell anyone including my mum so I would steal my sisters pads) I thought I leaked through. In all honesty I was a absolute horror of a kid after this.
I may be biased but I feel if girls are having trouble with things like bras or need to go to the toilet they should be allowed to go

7 Likes

If it was my daughter I wouldn’t care if she called to tell me the sky is blue anytime she feels she needs me she needs me and if she isn’t giving access to call me it wouldn’t be pretty

3 Likes

That’s when we teach our children to walk out. I’m sorry right before this was the story of the 12 year old boy who killed himself from bullying. Parents are getting drug through the mud being blamed for not teaching their children to be nice and then we have a teacher who is denying this child a phone call home for a personal issue. An issue that lets say her bra broke and now she is not able to wear the bra or maybe it is no longer able to strap in the back leaving her breasts open in her shirt which then we all know when developing looks a certain way, so now she’s an open target for what—-bullying— it’s not always the parents. School staff need to a do A LOT better!!! She should absolutely be able to call home. She didn’t forget her math, or lunch money (where they could let her charge her meal) or turn it in late. I would be pissed and go straight to the school.

7 Likes

I do not care what my children decide to call me for. I deal with situations as they come. My children should always be able to reach me. No teacher will tell my child no without hearing about it from me. Then I’d go to the principal and settle my differences there.

1 Like

Started my period in the middle of class. My pants were covered fast. Nurse refused to even call my mom for me. Handed me a pad and said “stick it to the skin and go back to class”… needless to say I walked straight out the school.

1 Like

It’s up to the nurse at the school I work at.

1 Like

I am not condoning this teacher in anyway, but there’s a good chance the teacher thought maybe she was lying because honestly there’s not a lot of 8 year olds that wear bras. But that is just my opinion.

I’ve told my kid to ask first and if they tell her no walk out :woman_shrugging:t3: I’ll handle the teacher later.

9 Likes

Yeah I do find that BS but even in preschool we are selective. When parents are at work they can’t be called for every little thing.

3 Likes

Have her to ask to go to the school nurse. The nurse will allow them to call or even the principal.

3 Likes

Kids are people I think it’s outrageous when people refuse to acknowledge that. If I’m at work and my bra pops a wire I’m not sitting all day uncomfortable. I wouldn’t expect my daughters to either.

2 Likes

I would, at minimum, make an in person formal complaint with the principal or superintendent. Especially since it was a personal and physical bodied issue. How well can a child pay attention and learn if their undergarments are distracting them to the point they strongly desire for their parent to intervene?

5 Likes

I don’t think having a problem with her bra is something that needs a call home unless it broke and she needed a new one. In that case she should go to the office and talk to the nurse. She could have asked to go to the bathroom and fix it herself. Teachers don’t have to allow students to use the phone unless it’s a good reason. The only thing teachers can’t refuse is using the bathroom or going to the nurse. My son askes to use the bathroom and calles me from there if he needs to talk to me. If he’s referred the bathroom he’s been told to walk out and I would deal with the school.

1 Like

This is why I homeschool. They don’t let the kids contact the parents.

3 Likes

I mean she’s 8 if that yea her would let her call for that do you know how many other kids would want to call their mom over something so small!? The teacher isn’t wrong here she can go to the bathroom and fix it or go to the nurse and the nurse can either help her or call you if needed! Wait did she ask to go to the nurse? Where was she going to call you right in the classroom? Does she have a cellphone? I need more details first but from what I’m understanding so far I don’t think the teacher is 100% wrong especially if you child didn’t say why she needed to call you! :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

I’ve told my kids if they need to call me / need to use the bathroom nd the schools says no then walk TF out that class nd use the bathroom/ go to the front office and tell them to call me nd if I hear about it after they get home it’ll be hell for the school they already know me nd so idgaf

1 Like

My kid’s teachers would have allowed them to either use the teacher’s personal phone, go to the office or nurse. I would bring it up with the principal

Imagine every child wanting to call mom every day over every little thing that happens, they simply can not.

I have always told my kids go to the nurse if you NEED me tell the nurse your sick and then when the nurse calls I always ask to talk to my child.

1 Like

If this were the case for me. I would be giving my child a phone, on silent, to keep in her bag

I just found out kids (elementary) are denied bathroom access during class at my child’s school. I was fuming when my son told me “yea we can go to the bathroom during class but we have to take a conduct mark”
….a conduct mark, for bathroom privileges!