Expecting moms... how long are you waiting until after baby arrives to have visitors?

my sister had her baby in january and she never left the house with him or brought him around anyone until he was 5 months old.

What if…the mom has a hard time and needs help. Being a new mom is tough…my grand daughter had a C-section…had lots of problems…had to have help…dad had to go back to work. My daughter is a nurse.(the grandmom) and myself went to help her from day one. I am the great grandmom. We had sanitizer everywhere…always washed our hands…did not get all up in the baby’s face.
You got to remember when the dad has to work he is around people and even if he comes in and showers he still could have been around someone at work that was sick. My grand daughter could not have done it alone.

3 Likes

I’m due any day now with #4. Only family/friends who have had flu and whooping cough vaccine will be allowed to visit in first 6weeks!

5 Likes

Our grandson was born on March 1st right before all the craziness. My daughter was a nervous wreck and rightly so with a newborn. We saw him once in the backyard of their house with masks on, washed hands and used hand sanitizer before touching him and we didn’t get to hold him. He was almost three months old. :frowning:

1 Like

I had my baby July 7 and haven’t let anyone who hasn’t seriously social distanced for two weeks come visit or hold her. Anyone who hasn’t social distanced, I’ve let come over and sit in our yard away from us. It’s not worth the risk.

1 Like

Besides the pandemic, I would just tell people that you will announce when you’re ready for visiting. Everyone is different but for me having visitors was super stressful. The stress effected my bond with the baby. Me being stressed made him stressed, our precious beginning of our relationship was soooo bad, our breastfeeding journey suffered. Don’t let anyone bully you into visiting if you don’t want it… When I had my second baby I knew better, I think I waited about a month before visitors. It made a world of difference for us. But if you want visitors, do what’s right for you.:heart:

I’m not sure in a pandemic but all of my kiddos had visitors after 3 days ( mostly family ) friends waited a week or longer it’s just to be careful not to get them sick with this virus going around & what you feel is safe for your child he or she is depending on you to keep them safe

I’m not allowing as many visitors as usual. But I have decided to let my parents and brothers and sisters see her at least once. I told them they have to be tested and to bring me clothes so I can wash them at my house and come with a clean mask. I told them to try and get one of those 30 min test on a Friday then they can see her all weekend as long as they only go to my house and their’s. I know its alot but they’re willing to do just about anything to see her

First child I had visitors at the hospital. She got RSV even though we all (extended fam included) got TDap shots. Second child I stayed home with for 5 months. Very limited visitation allowed. He came early though. The second week after we went out in March he got RSV. With Covid I would keep the baby home. Im a nurse and covid survivor.

As a family that has been hit by this virus, I cannot give you an actual time frame in which we will allow visitors for our new baby. I think it truly depends on the state of the virus at that point. If it was now, no one would be allowed over. My children have been home since February and that won’t change any time soon. My husband works, but other than that we have been home in our own little bubble.

My daughter is 3 months old and aside from her siblings, my mother, and sister she hasn’t been around anyone.

1 Like

Make them wear masks, only close family. Our grandson was born early May and all family wore masks. We had all been social distancing and still wore masks. Baby doesn’t need anyone germs but fam in the home

No social distancing before baby, no holding baby after baby is here. Thems the rules. I remember when I had my oldest it was in the middle of the whole H1N1 outbreak, and it was terrifying for me

I’m due in 9 days. No visitors for us. Taking serious precaution due to nobody social distancing. I much rather be safe, than sorry!

1 Like

Do what makes you comfortable. Your precious life, your decision :two_hearts::pray:

Then I’d say “tough shit, not subjecting my child to your germs til you’ve been isolated for 2 weeks”. It’s your child and your decision based on comfortability. Don’t let anyone pressure you if you’re not comfortable. Simultaneously, these are different circumstances with very real consequences if not careful.

I’ve never even had kids but I told my niece she should keep everyone away for a while

Going through this right now! First time Nonna here👋 My daughter just had grandbaby Tuesday. She is taking precautions to keep baby safe. She is keeping people away for 1 month, which I think is to short of a time. Thinking 3 months would be better. I would hate for someone to visit and be sick and not say that there are sick and get my grandbaby sick. I had it happen to me with one of my daughters. And with these days of illness I would not risk it!!

The grandparents of some of my friends are quarantining themselves for at least 2-3week before seeing the new babies. My in laws waited a little over 3 mons because our doctor said that’s about how long babies immune system takr to really kick in.

5 Likes

Well we had a stay in the hospital for almost a month after so it was 3.5 weeks for us but then only nanny, pop and aunt n uncle visited for the next few weeks after we got out he was 2 months old before meeting the rest of our family and almost 3 when meeting all our friends

I will only be allowing immediate family to visit that have been social distancing I’m due in 2 weeks with twins but won’t get to bring them home for 6 to 7 weeks so I’m hoping this crap will have faded out by the time we bring them home. If not any family that I do allow has to sanitize and wear a mask. We live in a very small town had no cases for months and now we have 6 just within a week.

I had my baby beginning of July, we had grandparents over the first couple days we were home. Then our siblings came over and a couple aunts and cousins we had known were social distancing, he met his cousins this past Saturday and has been out only to the doctor and outdoors at our siblings houses.

I had my daughter in June and I allowed visitors as soon as we were home :woman_shrugging:t2:

We had grandma come over but she also had 2 of my boys and my aunt came over. Also when we go to the store or the doctors I always put her milksnob car seat cover on so she’s protected and away from people.

6 Likes

I had my daughter in April. We waited until she was about 2 months old. We ask anyone that even thinks they might have a cold to stay away. I strongly believe that by isolating her we would kill her immune system by not exposing her to good germs as well. Yes, good germs are a thing. We take the same precautions we did with our first. Everyone is different so trust your gut mama, you will make the best decision for you and your little one.

My mom said not to take mine out until after his first round of shots. I’m due in about 5 weeks

Right now? Not for a looooong time. You’re putting your newborn at a high risk of getting this virus.

Mine is 5 mons and no visitors yet

At least a month. Make them scrub in like they were preparing for surgery. N wear a mask while visiting. N still limit your visitors.