Has anyone dealt with grandparents rights in NYS?

Unfortunately they have no rights…it’s only out of the kindness of your heart that she sees her grandson…it’s all she has left of her own son.

2 Likes

I’m not even sure what she could file at all. Even in states that recognize grandparents rights still typically defaults to the parents child being their home base and the grandparent having rights to have visits with the child. In order to remove your own privilege as being the final say on the child’s life or welfare, she’d first have to prove that you are not only incapable, but that she can offer better, and simply not agreeing with how you raise your child or having more resources than you really isn’t going to be enough evidence for her to be able to remove anything from you, let alone have it transferred to her control.

1 Like

As a gramma with my grandkids currently chasing my husband around the house with a pool noodle!!! It makes me sad that this gramma isn’t so grateful and loving to you.

4 Likes

There are no grandparent rights in NYS

1 Like

She has no legal rights to have visitation …
I’m sorry you’re going through this -
Too, I feel for Grama …

When I went and filed for full custody I was told I do not have to let anybody see my son if I don’t want to. It is my choice. To be safe I’d go and get it court documented that you have full custody. They don’t even have to know you did it. Your the mother. You can explain to the courts what the grandparent is doing and you feel safer if you have it court documented.

Sit and chat with her over a night out!

1 Like

He’s YOUR child. Do what you feel is right, don’t be bullied

Not sure about your state but I live in Delaware and my nephew’s father died before he was born. His grandfather on his dad’s side had visitation rights (every other weekend) established through the courts until he gave them up to move to Florida though after several years…he is trying to get the reinstated.

Keep in mind that this woman lost her son and this child is all she has left of him. If she was a good mom to your baby dad, then chances are she will be a better grandma to your child. I hope you can find a way to make this work. A child can never have too much love

1 Like

Okay, as a grandmother who adores her grand babies, I can tell you that the time spent with grandparents is truly a special time. Do not cut your child’s grandmother off. Sit down. Tell her how you feel. Be upfront about the stress she is causing and give her an opportunity to support your boundaries. We have had our moments with our two adult daughters who can be a bit of A type personalities about child care. I am 68, and when our daughters were small, I was genuinely excited to hand off our girls to my parents and never felt pressure to share them. I never gave my mom a list of dos and don’ts because I wanted her relationship to be theirs and not one I determined or dictated. I also recognized that my mom raised me, and she did a great job. I trusted her. I knew they were safe and happy, so if they went to bed an hour later or ate two cookies, I could care less. Our daughters are not that way at all. They have to be in control at all times. We hate it, but we accept it.

So, we follow their rules, grin and bare it. To us, their demands are truly controlling, but if we want to have our grandkids, we follow their rules. As far as her negative attitude or criticism if she does not get her way, address that as well. Tell her that you get she is disappointed when the schedule changes, but you need her to accept those changes without getting angry. On the other hand, she has a right to be heard as well. Get it all out on the table and come to an agreement. Do everything you can to preserve your child’s relationship with his grandparents for his sake. I can’t begin to tell you what grandparents add to their grandchildrens’ lives and visa versa. The pain of not having them in our lives is so painful. I know this because due to other reasons, we did not have our babies for 6 months. I was in mourning and tears the whole time. Please reconsider talking with her, being honest and giving her another opportunity to adapt to your set of expectations. I think as a last resort, I would tell her you are considering stopping all visitations, but want desperately to fix or heal what is currently happening. Good luck.