Has anyone every had this happen during a pelvic exam?

I'm 39 weeks and recently just had an exam to check my cervix. The Dr. Went about the normal routine "ok, you're going to feel some pressure", proceeds to check how dilated I am and informs me I'm a good 3cm dilated, but THEN he proceeds to thrust his finger aggressively about 3-4 times into my vagina. I was shocked, confused. This is my 3rd pregnancy and I have never had a dr. do this before. It seemed like he was trying to "jump start" something after I expressed to him I felt as if progress had slowed down since being at home and not working anymore, but I left feeling pretty violated. I'm not trying to sexualize something meant to be completely medical, but I just feel like that was not right. There was a nurse in the room of course, but I still feel really weird about the situation. Has this ever happened to anyone else? What would you do?!
182 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Has anyone every had this happen during a pelvic exam? - Mamas Uncut

1 Like

Did you ask why he did it?

8 Likes

That sounds like assault!! My obgyn never did that and I was 2 weeks past due!!

6 Likes

I also had a great obgyn never felt anything but yours was a male? Iā€™ve heard of stories Iā€™m sorry he did that to you I would complain

2 Likes

He done a sweep, if you didnā€™t ask or give permission for him to do so you need to make a complaint.

25 Likes

Probably stripping your membranesā€¦ itā€™s not fun.

16 Likes

Probably stripping your membranes. They kinda dig around the sack to kick start labor.

18 Likes

Sounds like stripping of membranes to help kickstart everything again scenes you specifically said everything seemed to slow downā€¦

17 Likes

It happened to me ans she was female she explained that practice says help with efacing

5 Likes

He pushed your sac away from cervix to get you moving along.

But he should have communicated that to you.

22 Likes

Completely reasonable to question that & ask why!

5 Likes

Omg!! Ive had 6 and never once had that!! Report it!!

3 Likes

My doctor did this after I told her I was miserable. He was probably stripping your membranes. I went into my appointment at 2pm and my water broke at 5:30am the next morning!

7 Likes

My Dr always asks if I want my membranes stripped before she does it.

5 Likes

Sounds like he did a membrane sweep

8 Likes

Never.But if he was trying to strip your membrane as these ladies are suggesting he definitely should of asked you first.

8 Likes

He gave you a sweep but should of asked you first I went into labour 48 hrs after getting that done

1 Like

Likely stripping your membranes so while not sexual, absolutely needed consent to do and Iā€™d report.

10 Likes

I worked with a Medical doctor. Before they do anything. They have to tell you they will be stripping your membranes,explain the process and proceed.

6 Likes

Sounds like he was stripping your membranes to help you go into labour

4 Likes

Yep done a membrane sweep
as I had one done for my forth it can take up to 24 hr to a week to bring on labour depending your body
never had one with all my others but had one with my last it helps to speed things
Some people it works on others nothing

Was he breaking your water?

Report him that it not proper protocol

10 Likes

Fire him & report him. Itā€™s not too late to find a care team that cares about your consent.
You were sexually & medically taken advantage of, & you deserve the right to feel whatever feelings you are having. Iā€™m sorry.

13 Likes

I actually had a Dr. hit my g spot during an exam. My husband at the time was in the room plus a nurse. The dr gave me a look too like he knew exactly what he did. I was so embarrassed and never told anyone about it

9 Likes

Sounds as though he stripped your membranes.

5 Likes

I used to work in an OBGYN clinic and it happened often when women were dilated and felt progress was going slow. It is stripping your membranes to help thin out the cervix. They do usually explain the process first and ask if you want it, but some doctors just donā€™t have that good bedside manner, unfortunately.

10 Likes

Thatā€™s what happens when youā€™re about at your due date and progress has stalled. My doctor induced me and they couldnt, even with the potussin. So the next morning he had to come and strip my membranes. Water broke not long after. Iā€™m glad he did. That was miserable

If he hurt you, dont go back to him.

3 Likes

Maybe he was losing his glove and had to go back in to grab it :joy: totally kidding.

21 Likes

Iā€™m thinking he could have been doing a membrane sweep, but you should have been made aware of this and given the option as to whether you wanted it or not.

6 Likes

The laughing reactions on this post are pretty shitty as well.

report him heā€™s supposed to ask if sweeps and dilation checks are ok with you not just do it

5 Likes

I would simply have a talk with my dr. Privately. I would say that if you love your Dr. Otherwise what happen then itā€™s probably something he would like to know. That you did feel violated and you wanted to give him the chance to state exactly what happen and why it happenā€¦ if you feel like he was being sexually abusive I would definitely bring that up as wellā€¦ he needs to know from you how it made you feel as a patientā€¦ probably was an honest mistake being this isnā€™t your 1st child and he probably figured you knew what he did (stripped your membranes most likely) and went on about the day. They do this every single day that I would believe that it becomes routine and feels like a pattern. I am sure it was an honest innocent mistake and praying so. I would just have a talk with him in person to make it out and open in the clear for your sake. He will most likely appologize and be truthfully sorry for not explaining what he did at hand. I am sorry this happened to you without you knowing what to do at that exact time.

5 Likes

This is exactly why I always chose female obgyns. Just felt more comfortable. Best wishes to you :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

14 Likes

Yes! My midwife did this with my oldest. She did tell me she was tho. She said she was gonna try to get things started lolā€¦

2 Likes

Definitely membrane sweep

6 Likes

If he made you feel uncomfortable it doesnā€™t matter if it was right or not. I would find a new doctor.

8 Likes

Membrane sweep. My doctor did this too and I was surprised. However, it seems to just be a routine thing as you get closer to your due date.

3 Likes

That doesnā€™t sound normal. If he has a purpose for doing that he should have told you BEFORE doing it and get your consent. Doctors think itā€™s ok to do things without telling you and I hate that.

4 Likes

Sounds like a membrane sweep but he really shouldā€™ve warned you

5 Likes

Membrane sweep it sounds like. He shouldā€™ve asked if you would have liked that first though.

He probably just swept you mucus plug.

Iā€™d complain Iā€™ve never had that happen

1 Like

Sounds like a membrane sweep I got one once with second baby and I felt extremely violated it hurt and was uncomfortable to I will never ask for that again

I agree with other comments definitely sounds like a membrane sweep but he shouldā€™ve told you first I had a nurse do a membrane sweep on me and didnā€™t tell me till after it was weird for me too

Had a doctor (wasnā€™t my OBGyn) do this as I was told to figure out if it was Premature labor! I then went into full labor!
Later, my Mom had me flown out of that Hospital because no one was gonna believe he did that.

2 Likes

He probably did a membrane sweep. Itā€™s unco.fortable but gets things going.

I donā€™t get why people are laughing. This is in no way ok & there was no consent. Switch obs now! He does not care about how u feel or ur choices. Itā€™s not ok & definitely shouldnā€™t be normal & is not even necessary.

13 Likes

Cant believe thereā€™s so many disgusting women here laughing , thinking itā€™s funny that there wasnā€™t any informed consent.

11 Likes

Sounds like a membrane sweep.

2 Likes

Iā€™d say membrane sweep but they are 100% supposed to get consent first Iā€™m sorry it felt weird and wasnā€™t explained

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what my female doctor did when she did a membrane sweep so thatā€™s what he was doing. He did it to help you go into labor :woman_shrugging:t3:. Though he should have explained what he was about to do before he did it.

I have had three kids and never had a doctor do that to meā€¦

Definitely sounds like a membrane sweep but he should definitely have asked for your permission before doing one, some women are against them. I would put in a complaint as he didnā€™t ask for your consent prior. Thatā€™s totally not okay!

1 Like

Yep membrane sweep but he shouldā€™ve got your consent :thinking:

2 Likes

Sounds like a sweepā€¦but he should really have told and explained to you before hand x

1 Like

Thus happen to me but I didnā€™t think he was sexing me right after I went in labor 4hrd later she was here

to all the assholes in the comments laughing, it doesnā€™t matter if he was trying to ā€œmove things along.ā€ This is medical assault. She didnā€™t ask for it, she didnā€™t consent to it, and he didnā€™t explain what it was or ask to do it.

Sounds like a rough stretch and sweep which should have been discussed prior to him doing it. your right to feel the way you do! He was absolutely out of line and Iā€™d be making a formal complaint

2 Likes

I had a membrane sweep but they should tell u . I have female obgyns for this reason . I have had very painful checks by nurses the whole in the hospital . Felt very rough to me . Idk

Literally did a sweep. When I had one I legit was held down as he used whole damn hand.

Sounds like he was just sweeping membranes. It generally is a bit uncomfortable and aggressive. They usually can start pain management at 4cm so at 3, he may have been trying to help you along.

Please do not just accept this! Even though he is a medical professional, he is supposed to get consent for EVERYTHING! So many people donā€™t know any better so they let these Drs fly under the radar.

3 Likes

Had a female doctor do this exact thing to me. I had no prior issues and wasnā€™t needing a membrane sweep, nor a ā€˜jump startā€™ I was only 36 weeks and was having my weekly checkup for dilation. My regular OB was out due to delivering another patients baby, so I got an oncall. I felt very violated and proceeded to have her put on my never again list. There is no reason for that much thrusting and pain for a weekly cervix check, unless asked and/or told you were getting a membrane sweep. Consent is huge!

4 Likes

I had a female doctor do this to me when I was having my youngest, she was really rough and didnā€™t tell me until afterwards what sheā€™d done, it felt a bit wierd that Iā€™d not been asked if it was something I wanted because every other person alwsys had explained what they were doing, when and why

Sounds normal to me. A female nurse present is to make sure there will be no sexual abuse going on. But if you truly feel violated, I would file a complaint and get a new obgyn.

3 Likes

Make complaint to the hospital about the doctor the way he made you feel hun x

3 Likes

it sounds to me like he was definitely doing a stretch and sweep since your so dilated! my second one at 38 weeks i had my baby girl that night and was already dilated to a three as well! it hurt so bad it took a good five minute stand afterwards because it hit a nerve. i was definitely told ahead of time tho!

2 Likes

I had it with my second nothing like tat with my first and I wasnā€™t expecting it was painful for a few days

I had this happen to me too. After the dr told me he had stripped my membranes.

He was most likely trying to thin your membranes. Itā€™s pretty typical to help with progress. But he should have told you beforehand. Iā€™m assuming since youā€™ve had other children he assumed you knew what was going on. He should have let you know anyway.

5 Likes

My doctor did this to me when she was trying to sweep my membranes BUT she told me before doing so and told me how it might feel before proceeding and asked me if I wanted it done

Good greif!!! Sounds like something myā€¦now ex-deceitful boyfriend would do! Dont want you to feel uncomfortable by all meansšŸ˜žAll Imma say is follow your feelings!

Stretch and sweep? :woman_shrugging:

It was a membrane sweepā€¦ BUT HE SHOULD HAVE TOLD YOU FIRST!

10 Likes

Iā€™ve never had this happen, even during a membrane sweep.

Ive never had a stretch and sweep done like this and ive had 3 babies, something wrong with what happened to you :flushed:

He was sweeping your membranes to help you progress into active labor.

5 Likes

Same happened to me, I was having a rough pregnancy. I was dilated to a 2, I went into labor two days later. Itā€™s called stripping your membranes. Helping labor along

4 Likes

Itā€™s normal to do a membrane sweep, but not acknowledging you/telling you the next steps is what makes me think the Dr has just gotten so used to his everyday work that heā€™s become numb.
Not ok.

7 Likes

He scraped your membranes. Gets the party started. It takes a week or so to work sometimes so he was doing you a solid.

He shouldā€™ve asked you if that procedure was ok and then if you agreed he then should have explained what he was going to do before he did it. Iā€™ve never had it done but Iā€™ve heard of it and I would say no because someone dragging their fingers around up there doesnā€™t sound right. Itā€™s your body. They should discuss/ask about any and all procedures prior

4 Likes

Sweep of the cervix. Helps to progress labour. But still, he should have explained so you didnā€™t leave feeling confused, tsk.

1 Like

He should have explained, make a complaint, tell them you feel violated

5 Likes

Hed get a swift kick in the nuts if it was.me xx dont be afraid to have a chat with ur consultant about it x if u feel upset about it x

1 Like

Once the dr is in there to sweep you it doesnā€™t involve the need to go in and out. Once theyā€™re at your cervix they swish about their finger then come back down.
You have a gut for a reason and itā€™s telling you that wasnā€™t right.
Question everything, itā€™s your body. Some Drs, nurses, midwifes all forget weā€™re human lying on that bed when theyā€™re on auto pilot.

3 Likes

Sounds like a stretch & sweep, its not at all comfortable but it sounds like you werenā€™t told or had the process explained, being caught off guard like that would have been horrendous

7 Likes

I would say normal to an extent, normal being he must of done the sweep after but forgot to I form you about I had a female nurse check me over with 1st was 1cm but them was told she would do sweep bad if feel the same but a bit more discomfort, I just imagine he may of been doing his normal Dr thing but forgot to inform you of what would happen

I have had this done with my 4th child itā€™s sweeping of the membranes to progress your labour :grin:

4 Likes

He was stripping the membrane. But he should have informed you before doing it. I had this done on my last pregnancy.

1 Like

Thats a procedure that requires consent. Iā€™d file a complaint, absolutely. Id feel violated too.

2 Likes

I agree with everyone else, stretch & sweep but you shouldā€™ve been informed first. Being your third child he probably thought you knew what to expect but thatā€™s unprofessional to even assume and not inform or ask you if you wanted it done. My dr did this too, this time around, and he was my third babe as well. She (my dr) asked at a previous appt if I wanted it done but then we never discussed it further as a nurse brought up something else that day. It caught me off guard but knowing my dr for years, I know she wouldnā€™t do anything with ill intention or on purpose so I wasnā€™t too bothered, but it was def a shock getting jabbed around. My water ended up breaking that very night though so I was glad about it in the end :sweat_smile::rofl: but anyway I guess Iā€™d go with your gut. Could very well be itā€™s just routine for him and he forgot to mention or ask, and he assumed you knew about it or wanted it done. But itā€™s also unprofessional no matter how you look at it and could be how he handles things in general at his practice. So if I had the dr for years and this was a first, Iā€™d probably consider it a mistake on his part. But if not and itā€™s not a first mishap with him, Iā€™d switch Drs as it seems to be a common occurrence. Just depends on you, mama, but your feelings are totally valid and you need to do what you need to feel safe and medically protected!

If he swept your membranes without consent I would be livid!

1 Like

Stretch and sweep had it done four times with my last

1 Like

Sounds like he stripped your membranes but he absolutely should have asked and talked to you about it first and NOT just done that without saying anything. I would absolutely be putting in a complaint personally. Mess like that is not okay and happens wayyy too often unfortunately

1 Like

Sounds like he was rupturing your membranes to kick things up a bit! Itā€™s very common, not comfortable but common.

He should have told you what he was going to do.

6 Likes

Sometimes they can manipulate the cervix with their fingers to speed up the processā€¦ like they can try to open it up a little bitā€¦ itā€™s normalā€¦