Has anyone every had this happen during a pelvic exam?

Sounds like he was attempting a stretch and sweep

1 Like

The last dr that did that didnt do too wellā€¦report itā€¦its digital rape

Nope happened to me and my doctor was female. She asked me if I wanted to be induced I said yeah, she went in and popped my water manually :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Ask the nurse in the room. Sounds like a very aggressive membrane sweep. More aggressive ones tends to work better. He should have asked consent prior

5 Likes

I had this done with my last, if the Dr notices dilation is slowing down & needs some help they will push a few timeā€™s.
It does hurt a little but doesnā€™t hurt you or the baby & is meant to catch you up.
I definitely donā€™t think he meant to hurt you, just went human & didnā€™t think to inform you.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry but this is completely unprofessional and I would feel extremely violated they are supposed to get your consent to do a membrane sweep and at least a heads up and explain it a little. I would absolutely report this sounds like the doctor was running on auto pilot which could be understandable but needs to be addressed immediately so it doesnā€™t continue to happen. Iā€™m so sorry you went through this thatā€™s really crappy of him , how are you feeling now are you okay? Youā€™re in my prayers :pray:

1 Like

Thatā€™s normal. I donā€™t like the word ā€œviolatedā€ tossed around. You told him that your progress slowed down, and he literally did his job. You canā€™t have it both ways grow up

21 Likes

It happens when you found the right person on a right time, even when I was mad at someone here on these page I find it difficult to chat someone hereā€¦come to think of it I have no body to followup until someone mentioned Mr George Alexanderal name on my comment I click on the link and contact him if I could get some help from him, I never knew Bitcoin can really do these for me all thank to Martin who referred me to himā€¦now Iā€™m proud to be who Iā€™m am today clink and contact him :key::key::key::key::key::key: Mr George Alexanderal

Itā€™s called a stretch and sweep. I had it done multiple times and it hurts like a bitch, but itā€™s a completely normal procedure

Stripping membranes. Completely normal.

8 Likes

You should bring it to his attention for sure

Anything they do NEEDS to have your consent! Id make a complaint

2 Likes

Generally male doctors have a female aide or nurse with them for these exact reasonsā€¦ as to not get caught up in something. I mean Iā€™ve had it done several times. It feels uncomfortable and itā€™s rough. He was definitely helping you to go into labor or speed things up. As everyone else said itā€™s called stripping the membranes.

4 Likes

Stripped your membranesā€¦ my gynecologist did the same to me when I was pregnant with my daughterā€¦ itā€™s to induce labor

3 Likes

It sounds like he was stripping your membranes. I had it done with my 4th only and it helped induce labor. I was asked first and my doctors usually explained what they were doing. Sounds like a possible lack of communication is all

6 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Has anyone every had this happen during a pelvic exam? - Mamas Uncut

It sounds like he maybe gave you what they call a stretch and sweep. Perfectly normal procedure but not at all normal not to explain it to you or ask if you wanted one, those are completely by choice to try help prepare for/bring on labour but he absolutely should have discussed it with you first

6 Likes

He could have been doing a membrane sweep but i get your nervousness and feeling uncomfortable. In my opinion men shouldnt be obs. I know theyre not all like this,but the handful ive dealt with are super creepy. Hell today i had my first ob appointment and he legit just kept staring at my boobs,and after checking the babies heartrate,not wearing gloves,put his hand down the front of my pants to pull them back over my stomach. The whole 15 minute appointment he made eye contact twice. My fiance and one year old daughter were sitting right there. My fiance was fuming,and im switching obs.

6 Likes

Everyone is talking about a membrane sweepā€¦ I have 4 children and have had my membranes stripped with each pregnancyā€¦ they insert fingers and put them into the cervix and kinda separate things and remove the membraneā€¦ itā€™s great for helping jump start labor, but thinking back on when I had it done, it doesnā€™t make sense to me why he would need to ā€œthrustā€ his fingers in and out multiple timesā€¦ the cervix is far in thereā€¦ if anything, I felt like they were trying to shove his entire fist up there(my pelvic area is very small, along with my bone structure)ā€¦ he would need to kind of ā€œtwirlā€ his fingers around in a circular motion, not go in and outā€¦ Iā€™m NOT saying he did anything sexual to you, Iā€™m ONLY saying that it sounds like weird behavior for a membrane stripā€¦ BUT, all doctors do things differently :woman_shrugging: you need to be your own advocate and speak up for yourself when something doesnā€™t feel right. Any normal doctor wouldnā€™t mind at all if you asked them what they were doing to you. They are typically very happy to explain what theyā€™re doing and why. You can even call his office back and ask them about it as well.

4 Likes

It happened to me last monthā€¦i felt pain,i felt soo uncomfortable after the experienceā€¦i was 39 weeks and they couldnt feel my water which after i was done the scan,it showed that my baby was in a transverse position.i was went for an emergenvy cs thou

I feel like regardless of what the reason was for, he should have hold you what he was doing and why. Just because heā€™s a doctor and a nurse was watching doesnā€™t mean he had good intentions. My area has very limited obgyn resources especially one of the male doctors had so many complaints that he had to leave the area (not sure if they made him give up his license). Itā€™s sad because my friend used him and felt uncomfortable but didnā€™t say anything. So how many people is he violating and everyone is scared to speak out? :cry:

Definitely sounds like a members e sweep. But he definitely should have told you he was doing so. Iā€™ve had good experience with male and female drs. So I wouldnā€™t put it all on th fact he was a male like previously mentioned.

Sounds like a membrane sweep, my dr has always informed me of every move she was making. It definitely should have been brought up and discussed.

Thatā€™s not right, Iā€™ve had loads of sweeps and midwife has ever only put her hand in and used circular movements not in and out movement :thinking: :flushed: Iā€™d definitely make a Complaint ASAP, you know what went on and itā€™s not right at all, as for everyone else saying itā€™s just a sweep, how many times have you lot been fingered? How many of u lot have had a sweep? There is a massive difference you know!! The poster needs to complain ASAP so it donā€™t happen to anyone else xx

7 Likes

Id have no issue being like what the hell you doing down there!!? And a membrane swep should be done with your consent before anything, I mean its also sometimes painful! My dr did this to me without telling me she was gonna do it and it pissed me off, like give a damn warning beforehand.

File a complaint asap and change Drs.

Discusting doing that when legally are supposed to ask you first.

Did he mention scraping your membranes? Sounds like thatā€™s what he could have been doing. Iā€™ve never had my doc not explain the procedure to me so I understand your frustration

2 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Has anyone every had this happen during a pelvic exam? - Mamas Uncut

Sounds like he did the sweepā€¦Iā€™ve seen that people are saying you should have been asked firstā€¦I wasnā€™t asked if I wanted it doing either, the midwife just did it to me too, I was 3cm dilated too and then she did it and went ā€œIā€™ve just done the sweep so that should speed things up a bit for youā€:roll_eyes: I also felt very uncomfortable and a bit violated, more because I know other people have been asked if they want the sweep before having it done, whereas I didnā€™t have a choice eitherā€‹:see_no_evil:

He would have been doing a ā€˜stretch and sweepā€™ but definitely should have asked if you wanted it first.

2 Likes

Didnā€™t happen to me, but I googled it because I havenā€™t heard of a stretch and sweep. Sounds like a good excuse for what he was doing if thatā€™s his reasoningā€¦

Itā€™s a stretch and sweep, something you should of been asked 100%! My second pregnancy I had to sign something to say I accepted it

2 Likes

Itā€™s called stripping in medical termsā€¦ Helps in inducing labourā€¦ If thatā€™s was he was doing

That sounds like a sweep. Maybe he was just trying to help your Labour come on. He should have told you what he was doing at the time. Maybe look in your pregnancy notes and see if a sweep is mentioned Xx

34 Likes

Sounds like a sweep to me but usually they inform you theyā€™re gonna do it not just do it without you knowing. Report it. If youā€™re feeling violated thatā€™s not okay.

57 Likes

Some of the comments on here are so ignorant. Even if this was something she consented to initially, to have anything suddenly thrusted forcefully into your body without proper explanation or a reminder could be incredibly triggering for some. Having your legs spread to a ā€œstrangerā€(some people are closer with their doctorā€™s than others) is already uncomfortable. Why are we berating a woman for simply asking a question and feeling uncomfortable with something done to HER BODY?!?

82 Likes

My guess is you consent to this when you consent to be treated for your pregnancy. Iā€™m guessing itā€™s all covered in the paperwork you signed ā€¦. Consented to as part of routine care.
I imagine since he was already checking dilation that it didnā€™t make sense to complete that process, stop, have a conversation about stripping the membranes at this stage, and then gloving up to do it, when he was already in thereā€¦ā€¦ also knowing that you have agreed to be treated for your pregnancy which covers a multitude of options they may choose to use.
if you read your paperwork I bet it explains this process and then you sign it saying you agree to it.
Ppl always trying to get someone in trouble. Sheesh.
And if you are 39 weeks and didnā€™t know that they do this ā€¦. You didnā€™t do enough to educate yourself about pregnancy and care prior to birth.

38 Likes

Most normal people will be focused on the birth and the child by now. You are focused on consent and the pain? You mean your baby exiting your cervics was so painless that you remember the doctor and the pain he given you much more vividly? I am incredulous at this.

29 Likes

If I was in your shoes, Iā€™d be laying a complaint, feeling pressure and aggressively thrusting his fingers is not how to jump start labour. Iā€™ve have 5 pregnancies and 2 sweep and stretch to jump start my labour, none was as aggressive as how you explained it, I felt pressure but wasnā€™t rough or aggressive. Please make that complaint before another person becomes a victim. Big hugs to you.

14 Likes

Definitely sounds like he swept your membranes, still not okay for him to do that without your knowledge or consent, I would file a complaint.

18 Likes

That sounds really violating, it doesnt sound like your consent was sought and the procedure definitely wasnā€™t explained to you :frowning:

13 Likes

There is alot of hypothesizing and theorizing happening here! This confusion on your part needed to be communicated at the point of occurrence not afterwards. If it didnt ā€œfeelā€ right in the moment then need to address with your Dr. Speaking from experience I have had some painful procedures that were lessened intensity because I was relaxed and not tense with expectation. When I asked the Surgeon why he didnt prepare/warn meā€¦he explained the relaxed state as the contributing factor. I appreciated that.

19 Likes

It was done to me as well to push me into laborā€¦ it worked. Hopefully you will be giving birth to you baby soon. Itā€™s called stripper the membrane. Hope this put you at ease. :heavy_heart_exclamation:

17 Likes

It is so hard to say. If you are 39 weeks and 3cm and feel things are slowing down then it is likely that the doctor was giving you a stretch and sweep which is very normal. I would ask if thatā€™s what he did? Was there a nurse in the room with you?

9 Likes

When I had a stretch and sweep it was kind of a similar thing, it was a painful experience and I imagine it would be worse if you werenā€™t prepared for it. This does sound a bit more aggressive than thatā€¦ plus I was told exactly what would happen and when so wasnā€™t taken off guard at all. I would express your concerns to the doctors office especially if it made you uncomfortable!

27 Likes

Reading the comments all I can say is What The Fuck!!!

16 Likes

Iā€™d put a formal complaint in
He shouldnā€™t have tried to jump start labour without your consent, and if it was sexual then thatā€™s obviously disgusting

7 Likes

Iā€™ve had 4 kids never had this happen. Non consent is sexual abuse

9 Likes

Uhmm he should have told you before hand what and why he was going to do that

8 Likes

Iā€™ve had several sweeps over 3 pregnancies, that doesnā€™t sound like a sweep to me unless they are done differently in the states to the UK. Iā€™d definitely report.

5 Likes

Before you go making a complaint, just ask someone else another doc to check u notes and mention it. If its not on record then complain. Sounds like a sweep but at the very least he should of told you first.

9 Likes

A sweep is a strong, circular motion with the hand. No in and out thrusting at all.

Iā€™d personally report it!
Iā€™d deliver with someone else too!

17 Likes

Even if itā€™s normal practice, it still was not fully informed which is a terrible bedside manner. I do believe it should be reported as such.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not a expert but that seems very wrong and i would report him and possibly report it to the police

6 Likes

The dr who delivered my son went on to sexual abuse me a few months later. I wish I had had the courage to speak up. I was only 19 and my sonā€™s father had taken off just a few weeks prior to his birth so I was just so overwhelmed that I kept it to myself. That dr continued to practice in the same small town for his entire career until he retired just a few years ago. I wonder how many girls and women he victimised in those 40+ years.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve had 3 sweeps. When a male did it was rough, I bled and didnā€™t work !

3 Likes

As docs of any kind they should tell you what theyā€™re going to do every step of the way, especially if itā€™s not done all the time or it will be painful!! But I guess some donā€™t feel the need because no woman(or man) is going to do something like that to them so they donā€™t have a clue how you would feel! I wonder if a woman doc would be as insensitive! As a nurse of 25 years, most female docs in general I rounded with were so different than a lot (but not all ) of men docs I rounded with ,but I never worked with Ob/Gyns except briefly as a student! I saw some tough things happen there and if a nurse is present, I donā€™t see any reason she canā€™t chime in to offer comfort if she knows what heā€™s going to do when he starts doing it!! A doc never had to ask me - hand holding, words of comfort and explanation were part of my job while assisting any doc I happened to be with at the moment! I even held hands of other docs while the doc I was with performed a procedure on them because they needed to squeeze a hand when the pain was bad!

5 Likes

Consent always. He should of asked.

6 Likes

My cervix was swiped . It was not pleasant and I wasnā€™t warned or told before it happens . But it literally was a quick circular motion down there down with firm force.

5 Likes

Itā€™s never ok for them to make you feel that way. Communication is important to say the least. Also if it was a sweep then he needs your permission first! Thatā€™s not his choice to make! You needed to be informed before the procedure takes place. Consent is important and if none is given its abuse/illegal.

3 Likes

It sounds like you had a sweep done but you should have been asked if you wanted it. I was never examined internally at a scan apart from agreeing to a sweep at 39week on my 2nd and 3rd pregnancy. Its a really uncomfortable experience. But thats just my opinion from my experience. I hope your ok.

He didnā€™t seem to have a good bedside manner. My dr explained and asked if I want it. I said no, Iā€™m not comfortable with that. He didnā€™t. I was induced differently at the hospital and no sweep needed.

1 Like

You just solved my question from my Dr. doing this and I didnā€™t know it was called anything just thought he was to rough ! 28 years later I still think about how uncomfortable that was! Like being scraped!

4 Likes

Report it in complaint he should have explained everything he was going to do before hand and given u a chance to ask questions of needed

8 Likes

The dr should have said Iā€™m going to strip your members. It sounds exactly like that but they usually advise you they are going to do this before they do it. It hurts so bad. Iā€™m sorry this happened to you. I hope your feeling better

When I was in the hospital for my youngest, I was induced. The one doctor came to check progress and he shoved his hand so far up I screamed and immediately started to cry. He hurt me worse than the current contractions were hurting me. He didnā€™t say he was doing anything to progress it he just said I might feel pressure and then felt like he was trying to grab the baby and just yank him out by hand.

1 Like

Yes it has.I started bleeding . When he saw that he seemed to be pissed. He admitted me to the hospital. there were two other drs in the group. When the other dr was doing rounds he told me it was caused by a rough internal. I was about 36 weeks. I had my daughter at 37-1/2 weeks. She was fine. She weighed 6lbs 3 oz. where my son before her was 8lbs 4-1/2 oz. I know he brought on labor. Thank goodness she was ok, but she probably wouldā€™ve been around the same size as her brother had she gone full term. I stayed with the group because he retired soon after. He was the oldest in the group and was practicing longer than. The others, so he shouldā€™ve known better. The farther on you go the cervix gets engorged with blood. If he had stayed I wouldā€™ve made my appts with the others. This was many years ago.

1 Like

I would have definitely asked what he was doing. Maybe call back and have a conversation with someone about what you had done. I would then decide what you will do next.

5 Likes

I would be asking what he was doing, it sounds like.a.sweep but Iā€™m wondering were you asked did you get permission, you have every right to feel violated

Yes. They swept your cervix just loosened the membrane. My ob said the same thing but didnā€™t tell me what it was and then I went to work that night and she freaked out and said I needed to go home. I finished my shift in labor

You need to take it up with the hospital hun just to get answers. Hope all goes well. X

5 Likes

If you were 3cm he was probably trying to help you along to begin labour. But normally not till ur 40weeks. The way midwives check you something very similar should he had . Maybe seek better advice .

Yes they do that to keep you from not progressing at a good rate . So you want have it dragged on an on.

Yuck!!! I know the feelingā€¦ He preformed a sweep on you :nauseated_face: I know the feelingā€¦ My doctor did this to me with my first one because I was six days over due dateā€¦ It was so bad she broke my waters, traumatizes me till this day :sob:

Non consent fair enough but if he did a sweep im sure its for speeding up labour and for well being of babyā€¦there was a midwife thereā€¦doubt its sexual

They did this to me at the hospital when I went in for high blood pressure, it was done to try and start a natural labor before them having to induce me. It hurt soooo much as I was not expecting that. Luckily it was a woman doctor and my husband was there as well next to me when they did it. I believe itā€™s called stripping the membranes and the doctor who did it at the hospital asked me if my OBGYN had done it on me yet and so she did it there.

2 Likes

Sounds like a stretch and sweep, not comfortable and also not cool to do without asking for your consent.

Sounds like he was swiping your cervix they did that with me to progress the process faster. Itā€™s normal

Its not normal,you need to call him out on it

3 Likes

Sweeping the membranes. Four kids later and I can contest, isnā€™t pleasant. A little spotting and cramping is normal.

That happened to me by my doctor in 77 ,but he said it was to get the baby moving which worked went into labour that night but my baby didnā€™t come till the next night.

Sounds like a stretch and sweep. He should have explained it to u before doing it

Sounds like a did a sweep on you. Itā€™s done often to help progress your labour. It can be uncomfortable and sometimes hurt

Iā€™m old have had 3 babies , never had this done so please explain this procedure to me and why itā€™s done and does it help with your labor?

1 Like

Call Patient Affairs Office. But also remember this same dr will soon be delivering your baby.

I would also call a medical malpractice attorney for short consult.

Jmho

I donā€™t even know what a ā€œsweepā€ is!! Lol

2 Likes

Sounds like he was doing a stretch and sweep , but he should of told you what he was doing before doing it , and let you know there could be spotting and cramping afterwards ect.

This happened to me when I wasnā€™t dilating enough, he did this while inserting prostongel to help thin my cervix. I ended up having ceaser

Sounds like a membrane sweep, where about are u maybe if your in the states or something different may not be a common thing to do there

This is why I donā€™t have a male doctor do anything to me down there ā€¦gives me ā€˜hand that rocks the cradleā€™ vibesā€¦and doesnā€™t sound like any sweep Iā€™ve ever had and Iā€™ve had 6 kids 6 sweeps and the thrusting of a finger doesnā€™t sound right at all!!

4 Likes

Sounds like he scraped your membranes totally normal for 39 weeks my doctor did that with every single pregnancy of mine

Itā€™s called stripping the membranes.
Very uncomfortable but sometimes part of the process.

Some ppl on here and there ideas ā€¦speak with knowledge not destruction of a personā€™s lifeā€¦

1 Like

Regardless of what it could of been, you obviously weā€™re not explained the procedure and did not consent.

This happened to me! 6 months agoā€¦ I was 3 cm and she did a sweep. She told me she was going to and I dreaded even walking into the office. I had a horrible pregnancyā€¦ the pressure was so bad that after she did it I just cried the whole way home. But I took a nap and woke up and thought my water broke but it was only a very small amountā€¦ I called and they told me ā€œoh no itā€™s just urineā€¦ being a first time mom I had no idea how to feel but I knew this hadnā€™t happened all pregnancyā€¦ It wasnā€™t urine. Called againā€¦ they told me to stay home itā€™s urine etcā€¦ anyways next morning I went to her office when they opened. She ran the tests and checked and they agreed I was in labor since I left her office the previous day!! I had a slow leak from the placenta and then it turned into getting the baby out before I got an infection bc I had been in labor so many hoursā€¦ nuts. But I think itā€™s totally normal! He could of warned you though. I felt violated but knew it was just my hormones and the fact I didnā€™t really want to be touched at all but knew it was necessary to start the process!

1 Like

Sounds like a sweep. My female doctors done it to me with both pregnancies. Itā€™s supposed to help start it along. He could of warn you though.

Stripped your membranes
Usually they tell you but not all the time.

Sounds like membrane sweep, they didnā€™t warn me either - probably so you donā€™t tense up.