Has anyone every had this happen during a pelvic exam?

Oh god - that sounds awful - are you ok? I understand how you feel and I hope you are ok x

You should have asked “What was that?” I don’t understand why nobody speaks up for themselves.

1 Like

Instead of going to the internet. You could have just asked him wtf that was after he was done or even during or made a phone call after.

Now these days 80 I would ask for another dr kick that one out but when I was younger I probably wouldn’t have.

I don’t think it was sexual since there was a nurse present…

Trying to strip your membranes to jump start labor

It’s membrane sweeping and perfectly normal especially after expressing progress has slowed

It’s called a membrane sweep ,or stripping …manually seperates the amniotic sac from the uterine lining …to induce labour

It definitely sounds like he was trying to strip your membranes

I’ve had this done, but they did pre warn me

I had a women Dr when pregnant that I trusted. Why not ask during procedure? " Yikes what are you doing?"

If it made you feel weird speak up and say something you should always feel comfortable with your doctor

ask around I never Heard anything like that…

1 Like

Did this drs name start with a “B”? If so message me

Thats not medical, report him asap

sounds like a stretch and sweep to get labour going

It definitely sounds like a sweep…

I have and she was a woman and it is a jump start!

Why is it always me who has to get up and turn the telly over :frowning:

I think you should have confronted him immediately by questioning that procedure

Um no drs fingers should be thrusting into you.

Usually they ask if you want a membrane sweep…

You got to report this to police, hospital, and lawyer. This creap has probably assaulted hundreds of women and girls.

It’s common. I had a female Gy n she did it too

When I have female issues I always have a female doctor

Yes. Its called “rimming the cervix.” It can initiate a slow labor or lazy uterus. I had my 1st child after 2 hours 37 minutes. I felt very lucky.

Yes very normal procedure at 3 cm. If not much activity.

How did the nurse react?

1 Like

Why weren’t there a female doctor?

Right, time for me to knock off. its 1802hours where I am at. For those in Oz or the Kiwiss, Good Morning!; for those in the Northern Hemisphere, Hell of a night or Witching Hour 4 am to you. May your liver and kidneys live long and prosper. for clarification just in case a lot is confused as to my gender. I was born female, and is still female, I did not identify as male, or identify as a liar. But for those who has other speculation as to who and what I am. Thank you for considering me worthy of your time to lecture, throw insults or hurl accusations to. I probably am not such wrong at all, if the best any bullies can do, is try to talk down to me instead. But whatever your speculations or accusations may be. I seek your understanding, that no matter who or what YOU ASSUME I AM. I will be most appreciative of some out of pocket actions to make the world a better place. Your Local Charities, Blood Bank Or Volunteer Group NEEDS YOU AND YOUR KIND HEARTED ATTEMPTS AT MAKING EVERYONE COMFORTABE. Please contribute generously.

Find a new doctor this one is a sadist

I’m guessing the jump starting didn’t do anything then, hahahaha

Ever had a sweep before?

Beanie Rose Bronstien literally the definition of a sweep lol

1 Like

Honestly it sounds like a sweep ( my doctor with my second one was aggressive about it​:face_with_symbols_over_mouth::woman_facepalming:) I made sure not to go back to him again and thankfully had a different doctor deliver

Trying to unplug mucus., it is a procedure but they usually ask if you want it done

Sounds like he stripped your membranes away from your cervix it hurts and is lots of uncomfortable pressure. He should have told u he would do it first tho …mine always prepared me.

That’s how the female nurses and female doctor checked to see how dilated I was! They checked with their fingers :woman_shrugging:t2: and that shit hurt lol but it got the labor going a lot quicker.

That’s disgusting!!! Please complain thats not how you do a sweep and you need consent before any medical procedures

Had it done with all 3 of my pregnancies

I woulda kicked him 🤷🏼‍♀

1 Like

Probably just trying to get things going BUT he should have told you beforehand. That potentially could be quite distressing especially for victims of sexual abuse. I don’t know if I’d necessarily complain but I’d definitely provide feedback about how it made you feel.

1 Like

Lara Preen I agree. The doctor should explain what they are going to do before they do it. There are so many of us that have been violated in our past that certain medical procedures can be triggers even if explained ahead of time. To have absolutely no warning and have someone do this, I probably would’ve kicked him

I had a gynocologist play with my boobs and tickle them!!! While he laughed! Just ridiculous and yes another lady was in there!

Nah id absolutely report that doctor. Thats NOT normal

1 Like

Kinda sound like a sweep but they normally tell you before doing that and its painful.

I dont remember this ever being talked about in the 60s and 70s

1 Like

Yeh sounds like a stretch and sweep

Sounds like a stretch and sweep…i read the baby books…youll be fine…nothing to post about…google stetch and sweep youll understand

Question: Is it because my profile picture is a Chinese Female with Pigtails? Or that I have a serious face in that old photograph which makes me looks like a male, that I am receiving all these comments that I am a jerk for expressing my thoughts that I am incredulous at how the confused Author is regards to her pain tolerance. I mean…I keeping getting horny boys trying to ask me how big ever I ever received in my down south, and I always tell them. Does whatever comes out is diameter 10cm count?

I feel bad for the doctor. And the nurse in that room. They spend thousands to graduate from medical training. They may still be paying back what student loans, grappling with sleep disruption, fatique, and whatever life they are adjusting. Not to mention the currect pandemic precautions and extras they have to deal with. And we are here talking about consent and malpractise on an obvious smooth delivery, because the Author was uneasy. Instead of reassuring her that her uneasiness was unwarranted. We have so called ''experienced" and ‘professionals’ telling off anyone who dare to expressed their opinions and expressing them outright. We are here to mollycoddled the mother, or be frank and factful?

5 Likes

Whilst in labour with my second baby I had a midwife checking how dilated I was and whilst she was down there she didn’t even ask to do a sweep, she just said ‘I’m just going to do something to hurry things along’ with no explanation of what she was doing… I said no thanks and she seemed frustrated and tried again, so I jumped back and said ‘I don’t want it to go any quicker!’ I think sometimes they forget that although this stuff is very common and routine for them (probably do it several times a day), doesn’t mean it is normal or understood by all their patients.

They did this with my second, i was at a 5 and my sack was bulging, they did it to see how close my water was to breaking before sending me home. BUT I was informed before she did it.

1 Like

Some Drs do this without warning. There are many women that resist it and it may be medically necessary to try before further steps that may be deemed major. There are women that have anxiety over things they are unfamiliar with and it can be quite problematic. It’s feels more appropriate to be warned, but I can say with my second, my emotions woulda hindered me had I been warned.

1 Like

It’s membrane sweeping :flushed: A painful unpleasant thing they do to start labour early. It might give infection to the baby and baby might die… Usually a law is that doctor have to tell you and ask if you are okay with it, but if you are in US then they can do what they like…I will add the article about risk for baby to die…

5 Likes

You do really need to get a life

5 Likes

That isnt normal. I’m pretty sure if he had been doing a membrane sweep they have to get permission first from the patient and can’t just shove their fingers in their and do what they want. They also have to have reason medically to do a sweep. Just bc you do one does not mean the body is ready for labor and it can cause complications. You can also dilate backwards aka I went from a 3 at one point to a 1. There was no reason for this

5 Likes

Regardless of if he was doing a sweep on you, you must consent to that first, otherwise no, not normal. Unless he’s discussed this with you first

4 Likes

I would report it. Usually you get told if they are going to do something like that. Report asap. Terrible. The fact you feel violated says it all

24 Likes

He was probably trying to strip the membrane around the cervix. It can cause the process of labor to begin. Ive had it done twice and it is painful. It can cause your mucous plug to be expelled. He was only able to do it because you are dilated and clearly ready for baby to be born

14 Likes

I’d express your concers with someone at your Dr office

1 Like

It happened to me before there wasn’t a nurse present and the doctor told me that this would help me to relax. I felt so violated. It was so long ago and not like now

The Dr stripped your membranes.

1 Like

It bothers me the amount of women that are saying “you can’t feel violated” in more or less words.

She still is allowed to feel violated. Especially since dr took no time to explain what he was going to do and to her, it basically seemed like he was trying be a perv because of that.

Technically, he never got her consent for doing the membrane sweep regardless. So he could still get into some trouble.

18 Likes

Sorry for the long explination :grin:Althought everyone assumes you had your membrane swept I actually think the doctor was checking to see if they could feel the baby’s head. They have to reach threw the cervix to determine if the baby’s head is engaged and how far engaged. At my 39 week appointment last week my doctor told me I was 2cm dialted and my cervix was stretchy and she had to re-adjust and really reach up to tell me baby’s head was 3 out of 5 engagement it felt wrong like what you were explaining. I did have my membrane swept after the fact and that was her doing it again but holding the position for about 15secs and sweeping her fingers all over the top baby’s head and it was super uncomfortable verge of painful. Althought consint is needed for the sweep it is not for engagement of baby’s head and they have to reach farther then you think and doctors will forget bedside manner and explain themselves. But both require doctor readjusting a couple times to finally be able to push threw and reach for baby’s head but a sweep requires holding the position once there.

5 Likes

Sounds like he stripped your membranes to get things moving along quicker. My dr did mine with both my pregnancies, and I went into labor the next morning with both. Good luck!

1 Like

Membrane sweep. They should have asked you first.

You needed to be informed 1st

We call it sweep. I have had it done for all of my pregnancies

He should’ve told you what he was doing before he did it. Shame on him.

Why dont he tell you to go home and have sex instead?

I don’t think it sounds like he was stripping the membrane but that’s the only thing I can think of. HOWEVER. Anything like that needs your consent. That was disgusting. If you feel up to it, reporting him is an option. I’m sorry honey.

It sounds like he was trying it remove your mucus plug to start your labor

1 Like

Membrane sweep. Normally they ask you if you want it done between 37 to 39 weeks. It helps put you into labor

3 Likes

I would say something and take someone with you next time. If he has been your doctor throughout the pregnancy and hasn’t done anything to make you feel uncomfortable then I wouldn’t worry too much about it and most likely I would say he was sweeping your membranes. It will progress labor

1 Like

I feel your doctor was trying to stretch you out a little bit to help things advance a little bit, my doctor did this many times. Also would feel for the head that late in pregnancy.

3 Likes

He was helping you dilate more. Stretching the cervix

2 Likes

3 kids and never been checked for dialation until it was baby time and in the hospital.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: he just stripped your membrane

9 Likes

Probably stretching your cervix

1 Like

They should of explained what they were doing. He swept your membrane. It makes you progress faster in some cases. It does not feel great

11 Likes

Stripping membranes had mine done and my water broke two days later

2 Likes

Sounds like a stretch and sweep but he should have informed you before just doing it.

9 Likes

Yeah no that wasn’t a membrane sweep they have better ways to do it

Yes it has happened before!

This, I feel, is a problem with alot of cases where woman feel violated then made not to say anything because others say it is normal. No! We can not ignore the fact that she feels violated. I would have definitely asked what that was for. If he was just stripping your cervix then he should have told you what he was going to do first. Sorry you feel this way :frowning:

20 Likes

Whether it was part of the exam or not you should’ve been given warning/choice. I really wish you spoke up the moment it happened. I have 3 kids, one in which I was induced & literally minutes from them calling emergency c-section & I’ve never had that done to me.

2 Likes

With my last baby I refused pelvic exams. It doesn’t really do anything for you and it’s super uncomfortable. I plan to do the same this time as well.

2 Likes

My Dr was a female and did this same thing. In between gasps of pain I told her she could have at least bought me dinner first.

14 Likes

They do this . Mine did it to me and she was a women. They r trying to help things along for u. I’m also a nurse this is normal. Now if u were like early in ur pregnancy it’s not but ur right at the end so that’s what he was doing. If u were saying ur ready for it to come out, complaints of being uncomfortable , or just expressing a need to get baby out they will do this.

2 Likes

Maybe a membranes strip

Geez this comment section is trash. :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

Doing a stretch and sweep to help move the process along

Sounds like he did a stretch and sweep girl. To help ripen your cervix. I just went through this on Thursday

SPEAK UP TO THE DOCTOR NOT FACEBOOK! Listen y’all, if you feel violated or something makes you uncomfortable, speak the hell up. Vocalize how you felt right then and there.

In this scenario, it sounds like he was stripping your membranes. This is something that should have been explained prior to doing it but extremely common to have done.

I am sorry you feel the way you do. You need to speak to your Doctor directly and clear the air now. Especially if you are scheduled to go back to him again soon.

11 Likes

Sounds like he was scraping your membranes. My doctor did this, it helps start labor. However my doctor asked if I’d like him to do it.

When I had my membranes stripped my dr did a hook-circular motion not a thrust. I had my child 6 hours later. Unless this has changed that did not sound like a membrane strip and mine also explained the procedure.

1 Like

He was probably doing a stretch and sweep of your membranes, but he should have explicitly asked your permission before doing so

3 Likes

He should have asked your permission if he was stripping membranes!