How can I build my credit?

credit one an capital one will build your credit up

Start with opensky …

You don’t need credit- credit usually means debt. Follow Dave Ramsey.

Chime new credit builder

This is what we did My husband and I own not just the home we thought we deserved (the dumpy ones we thought were all we could afford) but our dream home after taking some steps. First we went to the “shady” car dealership which isn’t shady if you pay your dang payment everytime no matter what happens to that vehicle or what happens in your financial life. I had to ask them to report to credit bureaus and at the time they only reported to 1. The first credit card I tried to apply for failed because they checked the 2 credit bureaus who I wasn’t being reported to. There is experian equifax and transunion. I later learned different credit card companies will check certain credit bureaus depending on what state you are in so since my credit is reported to transunion I applied with capital one in Michigan and was accepted my very first credit card. Our car place started reporting a second bureau so now we had a credit score that could be looked up on 2 out of 3 of them so I applied for a chase credit card and was approved. We had established credit so we’re able to move from the trailer park to a rent to own home. After our 2 year contract was up we had good solid credit and decided to try to apply for a loan through riverbank finance in G.R. MI and were approved for our dream home. I also learned to put my kids on my credit cards in good standing as authorized users. My daughter has over 700 credit score because of this move, its even better than mine! I think it took 3 years total to go from living in a free trailer that we had to bleach from top to bottom to living in a 2300sq ft home with a 1.5 acre fenced in and surrounded by pines, golf course for a back yard. Not really but it looks that way <3 proud and worked from bottom up so yeah, I get bragging rights. You can do it!!!

1 Like

Yes, Capital One is a great Card to start with. Use Credit Karma to monitor your credit and get recommendations. ALWAYS pay MORE than the minimum. Don’t spend over 30% of your limit.

6 Likes

I highly recommend Capital One. I got a secured card with them that after your first 5 months of one time payments the credit line raised from the initial $300 to $500 and keeps raising with time and raises credit quicker that way (if it stays paid off). Plus they have a very user friendly app and customer service has always been easy and helpful.

3 Likes

Credit karma :ok_hand:
You can put even your cellphone bill or utilities in to help establish credit. They recommend secured credit cards with approval rate.
The fiance and I were late in the game, still working on it but huge difference from where we started a year ago

3 Likes

Open a small credit card. I use Merrick, mission, capital one and now care credit. Make small purchases and pay it off at the end of the month. Pay on time consistently every month. It took me 50yrs. to realize that credit is important. I wish somebody told me when I was young and had a head start.

I opened a free account with a credit union and over the last year, my credit has gone for 458 to 609.

1 Like

Capitol One secure card has been great for working towards bettering my credit profile.

When it comes to getting out of debt there are a few options you could take.

1 Like

experian boost app. you can use your monthly Bill’s like electric to help. I have also used self lender and have had an increase since starting that.

1 Like

Discover card. It is a great card. My experience is quickest to raise your limit if you do well with it. Always stay under 30% of your limit and pay full balance monthly.

Call 1 of the credit bureaus they will help that first before a secure card card capital one is 1 who deals credit cards Victoria secret is easy. Old navy too zales

I opened a $200 secured card with Discover. paid on-time for a year. they sent my $200 back. transfered my card over to a regular credit card and upped my limit to $750 within a few months. have had regular increases ever since.

Bank of America has a great secured card to help build your credit and will automatically turn into a unsecured card after a year even possibly before if you can prove timely payments

Open a credit card and charge small amounts and pay it off every month.

As someone in banking, go to your local bank and you can do a secured card. There is not one that is better than another. I’m a regional manager so I’ve been in banking a long time.

Discover. They offer a secured card with cash back rewards! Plus you may get bumped to a unsecured card (deposit returned) in as soon as 6 months.

There is a system that works called the fair credit reporting act its work but it is way less than paying off debt if you have questions just message me I would be happy to help

Open two secured credit cards, Capital One and First Premier or Credit One are good, then only spend 9% or below each month on each. Pay it off monthly, your credit will move up drastically. If you have any collections on your report actually listed as collection agencies dispute them, put ‘no contract’. Why? You have no contract with the collection agency, only the original creditor. They will be removed, you can dispute easily on Credit Karma. You want at least two revolving accounts on your report, I followed my mortgage lenders advice and mine shot up within 6 months to 790. Please head the only 9% or below for the credit usage btw

3 Likes

Secured discovered within the six months they reimbursed my deposit of $200 and increased my limit to 2k

Get a card for something you actually will need and can use anywhere. Like a best buy credit line you can buy appliances- movies and pay small amounts. I’ve boosted my credit a lot using it.

If you get. Credit card and pay it off every month , you can build a credit score quickly . You could pay for your weekly shopping on your credit card and as soon as you get home go and pay it off .

Small personal loan credit union is better ask for the ins if anything happens loose ur job or get sick it pays for the loan

It doesn’t really matter what bank you go through. Making payments on any credit card raises your credit score and alwaye making payments on time. As far as building credit, getting a credit card is the fastest and most efficient way.

Get a credit builder loan through a credit union and pay it on time I’m doing this now

If you are already established with a bank/credit union you may be able to get one with them. I did an online application with my credit union, requested a low amount for credit and gave them a statement that I was attempting to re-establish my credit score so my new husband and i could buy a house. 15 mo. later, we have our house,my score is up 55-60 points and my credit limit on my card has been lifted.

My husband and I got separated when i found out he was having an affair with another woman, when i confronted him, we had argument and he broke up with me, i tried all i could to get him back but all to no avail. I cried all day and helpless looking up to God to help me with the problem in my marriage. All I need is my marriage to be restored back, we’ve been together for years and he has done nothing but cheated and lied to me. but I know it’s something that can be fixed I still love him the same way when I first met him. However I decided to seek help from Priest Andrew, he reunited my marriage back together as it was in the beginning. now my marriage is perfectly fine and I know there are lot of people out there who have different kind of problem in home, marriages and relationships. Here is Priest Andrew email: priestandrewcureservice123@gmail. Com
and whats app him +2349064356977

Go through a credit union

Also, being a senior loan officer… all suggestions are great. Be careful opening credit lines. The more people check the faster your score goes down. Do not close your credit cards. Scores will drop! Medical collections drop scores. 1 late pay over 30 days drops your score. Acceleration of debt can deny a loan or mortgage. Mortgage companies pull credit before and sometimes after! Why? To see if you are taking out more debt. Keep your debt ratio at 43% or less. What is debt ratio? Take your hourly wages × 2080 ÷ 12. This is your base monthly income. No OT / commission included. Add your monthly expenses and divide by your monthly income. This is your debt ratio (excluding monthly utilities). Shop for rates, don’t settle. Some financial institutions will match rates so they can keep your business. Stay away from payday lenders! Do not get a "buy here, pay here ". They don’t report to credit bureaus but when you’re late,they don’t hesitate! If you’re over retail buying a car, pay the TTL and get a GAP policy. GAP is "guaranteed asset protection ". Most GAP policies will cover up to 125% over retail on your vehicles value. I have a lot more info if you have questions. :hugs:

1 Like

PJ France Olten read these, good advice

Capital One. I had shit credit (like 570) and opened up a $300 line in 2019. A few months after that, I got a Capital One card through Bass Pro Shoppes, and they have me a $1000 credit line. After a couple months of that, they raised my $300 line to $500. Earlier this year they sent me a letter stating that I was pre-approved for a car loan up to $35,000. I didn’t believe it but when I went to go check out some cars with my fiancé, it was true and they financed me. Making all my payments on time since I’ve had credit cards, my score is up at 700 now. Good luck?

A secure credit card is the best ways to start building your credit score. I usually recommend going through a local credit union since they give you the best rates. I help people with credit card debt (certified credit counselor) for a living and that is what I always encourage if our client is trying to re-establish their credit.

Lexi McGuire I thought this might help y’all

Opensky they are great for that

I’d doesn’t matter what credit card you choose, there’s dozens of them waiting for you to fuck up and charge you interest. Some will give more perks as in cash back or rewards. If you don’t pay the balance they win and you lose. It’s their little game. Don’t buy more than you can afford to pay with cash and always pay the balance off every month before they add interest. Simple.

I recommend self lender

Your bank should offer a starter credit card, check out your banks website!

We did several things. Contact a local bank and ask if they have “credit building” loans we made payments totaling 1575.00 and recieved the loan AFTER it was paid off. A credit card is good keep it paid off to 1% of your credit amount. Go to a jeweler and get a credit line going. We spent 100, get 100 in credits. Pay it off but keep the account open. Our limit is 1000 and builds your credit a bunch. Pay EVERYTHING on time.

I found something called Self. They take 25 a month and put it in a savings account and it acts like ur paying something on time so it reports to credit bureaus. My husbands score has risen and after 2 years, u get all that money back.

I would check with a local credit union first.

We did this for our daughter when she turned 18 at the same credit union she had her savings account. She then was the card that the Netflix bill went to. The card was secured by her savings, a small recurring bill would be charged and paid off each month.

Never use up to the limit, that looks bad, always pay more than minimum monthly payments, always pay before the due date , that looks good, if you can get in to a bank like APG or Federal credit union. They have the Best interest rates on car loans, home loans and refinances. Best of Luck, stay on top of what you spend and save as much as you possible save. That looks real good on loan papers.

You can also use the self lender app. You pay monthly for a set period of time and then get your money back. Works like a C.D. But you don’t have to put the money up front. Essentially paying a loan to yourself. And it reports to the credit bureau as a line of credit.

Trying go through your own bank or credit union, they will work with you to get you a credit card

Credit union, have your paychecks on direct deposit and have them set up up a debit card to your account. Always leave some money in your account, about 60 bucks. Helps with your credit and you only spend what you have and it’s a bit better to manage. Good luck

My son taught me.:disappointed: I got a prepaid capitol one card for $200 bucks and it went up from there. Hope that helps.

1 Like

Take out a small loan through your bank or get a $500 (or less) credit card and make consistent payments. It helps to show impeccable payment history!

2 Likes

Credit karma is a great resource

1 Like

Use Experian boost. It links to your bank account and tracks your utility payments, and “boosts” your score based on good payment history for them. It’s also free.

3 Likes

Buy the book color my credit on amazon! Or watch colormycredit on TikTok. Following her advice raised my credit 150 points in the last year! I also finally got a car loan last month.

Don’t know if you have a Chevy store near you but I got a car through them brand new 2019 with 80 miles on it with a 1,000 down payment and I had no credit at all finally my credit is starting to go up now.

Getting that paid off definitely helps. I got a card first off just for gas and paid it off every month. It also helps if you have a card that will give you rewards. I save points/cash I earned for Christmas. Credit is definitely a game you have to learn to play.

1 Like

When you pay them and if their in collections get a paid for delete letter if not they will not take it off your credit

You do a search :woman_facepalming:

Paying off debts, experian credit boost, and taking out a small loan (possible app is a good resource) or a credit card and pay the full balance monthly…
My credit went up 95 points in a year by doing all of these things.

Get a credit card that secured or not. They report every month and show on time payments which helps with your credit score

Making payments on time or early on loans. You gotta have some kind of loan and make payments on time

dont charge more than 30% of your allowed credit limit when you get one. do not max it out if possible. to boost. only charge what you can pay off in full when the bill comes in.

1 Like

If you know someone with good credit if they put you as an authorized user on their card within a month you score will go up… mine went from 520 to 620 within 2months

1 Like

We’re trying to fix our credit as well so that we can buy our house. We went to Capital One and got a $200 secure credit card. We paid the $200 upfront then borrow and repay our own money, but they report to the credit bureau. We use it for things like coffee, cigarettes, gas etc. Our credit score went up 18 points after our first payment.

Secured credit card or not secured, dont go over 30% of ur limit, dont get a bunch of cards. And it takes time!! And have someone who is responsible with their credit and has good credit and have them add you on. Good luck!!

I started making multiple small payments a month (instead of one larger one) on my student loans and cc bills and my credit score went up. Like 55 points in 3 months. I don’t know how true it is, but I’ve been told that it tricks the system into thinking you’re making extra payments. Worth a try.

Pay off debts first, credit cards and no late payments

I got a secured credit card and only use it for my hulu and netflix every month. Plus I have a chime credit card that just recently reflected on mine. I’m up 76 points over the past 45 days

Get a secured credit card. Don’t use more than 30% of your balance and pay it off every month. Use it for gas/groceries that you know you’d be using money for anyway, within 6-12 months your credit score can boost up to 150 pts. Good luck!

You have to pay your debt. Banks like to see three things, revolving credit, so a credit card with good payment history, a instalment loan, so something you pay the same amount to every month, or a mortgage… I work in car sales… feel free to message me :slightly_smiling_face:

I have a credit builder card threw chime and my score has gone up like 50 points

Pay on time (late payments stay noted for a year I think), Pay more then the minimum and pay off the debts in a lump sum…

Do yourself a favor, save up a couple thousand dollars and buy a car for cash. If you have trouble with debt now, adding a car payment is not a wise decision.

3 years ago my credit score was less than 500, now it is over 700. I followed the advice of a home loan expert. I was told to get 3 small credit accounts, like a Walmart card, gas card and a store credit card, use them a small amount each month, so small you can pay it off every month. It will take time but your score goes up as you show that you are paying everything monthly. Credit Karma is also a big help. Right now I get at least 5 credit card offers a week, all go into the garbage. My goal is home ownership, being on disability with a low income I have to have a very high credit score to get a home loan.

Start by paying off your smallest debt first. If they are in collections, ask about settlements. Once all your debts are paid, make sure all your payments are on time and don’t let anything become delinquent or go into collections again. Also, get a secured credit card and keep the balance low.

Do you have a relative with good credit that will put you on as an authorized buyer? The cards they add you to should have low balances

Also… dispute each negative on your report 2 or 3 at a time. Keep doing it every month. Call creditors and off to pay it off if they will remove the mark from your credit report

A credit card will help! I got a couple of credit cards around December and kept the balances low. Just bought our first house in July.

Check with your bank. Some banks offer a credit builder loan.

Pay off the debt, then only use 10 percent of the amount they give you for any credit card and make “double” payments before they’re due. I was in the 500s and now I’m in the 750s for doing just that. When you have over 10 credit cards and are responsible with it, that also helps too to build up your credit.

This group is very helpful and all help and advise is free … sorry I’m driving so a screen shot was easier lol

We got a secured credit card through capital one (you have to put your own money on it) we had to have $200 , and they send you the card , you use that to pay whatever you want, we used it to pay a couple of bills, then when your credit rises up enough from doing that ,they will send you a(real non secured) credit card, use it to pay bills mostly, pay it off every month (that’s extremely important) after a year of us doing this and paying off 2 bills we had in collections my husband score went from a 520 to 640, we did all this to buy our first home in 2017 :slight_smile: they say paying car payments and some regular bill’s raises your score but never did for us, and we have bought 3 vehicles so far( not all at once) (making payments on)

2 Likes

I had no credit when I bought my car. I was never late on my payments and my credit went up every month. After I had my car loan for a while, I applied for a credit card. I used it for little things then paid it on time every month. My credit went up fast after I got a few credit cards. It takes time

Took me about a year to get from a 580 to 681. I got unsecured credit cards, and u wanna stay within 30% of ur card to help it go up.

Just keep making your payments on time

Prepaid credit cards, finger hut, rent a center

Payment plans to debt collectors and get a credit builder card. It will take a few months for positive remarks to make a difference.

Get a secured card first and try getting a Fingerhut account , mine was about that much a month or so ago it’s now a 640. I also am the secondary on all my bfs cards he has good credit so when he pays his bill my credit goes up too. The secured card and fingerhut made my credit go up by 80 points each though.

Get yourself a low interest credit card, make small purchases and pay them off in full before the due date. Do not purchase anything you can not totally pay off within 30 days. Continue to pay your car note on time

Use ONLY 30 percent of the credit line, pay off your debt. I know all of that has already been said but it’s imperative that you do those things. Only buy what you can afford to pay off every month! Try to keep your current vehicle as long as you can! It’ll pay off in the long run😁

6 Likes

Open a credit karma account. I was able to get a capital one card to help rebuild my credit. The best way to get a better credit score is to pay your bills on time and if you can pay a little more than the amount due. My divorce totally ranked my credit because my ex husband didn’t pay what he was supposed to and my name was on the stuff and it screwed me over big time. A year ago…my score was below 500…I’m almost at a 700 now

1 Like

Diversify the types of debt you have. It helps. I started with signature loans, went to credit cards, and so on. Paying more than the minimum is great, but no matter what…don’t be late. Also, credit karma is a good tool. They track 2 out of 3 scores. BUT…there are 9 different FICO scores that play a role in whatever you’re attempting to finance. Figure out which one is looked at most for the car you are wanting to buy. And those will be very different. Myself, for instance. My FICO 8 is in the 620’s (I’m working on the rebuild). But my FICO 2 is in the 580’s. And my scores on credit karma are in the 640’s. Whatever debt you have, don’t be late.

Use Credit Karma to track your credit. This will also tell you what is causing your credit to be low (this can be anything from collections, missed payments, even having too few accounts, etc). You need to know what areas to improve on first.

Regular on-time payment of debts is MORE important than the debt itself when it comes to a credit report. I know this sounds odd, but you can have $2500 in debt and as long as you make your minimum payment on time and pay down the debt, your credit score goes up. Don’t miss any payments. At all.

Getting an additional card will build credit because it will lower your debt to credit limit ratio.

Credit card should be at 10% of allotted credit- I always heard 30% but talked to a credit counseling company and they told me 10% was the key number

1 Like

Open a savings account. Most banks can set it up to where you put a set amount monthly into it. It helps when a creditor is looking at your ability to pay them off in case of an emergency. If you don’t have one get a credit card. Even if its a secured credit card it will help your credit score. Don’t max it out but do keep a balance on it and always make more than the minimum payment on it. That can add a lot to your credit score within a years time. Try not to over draw your accounts. Yes sometimes we make errors but that can effect your ability to get a loan as well especially if you are trying to get it through a bank. Pay off your debts and if you can pay extra do it. Also pay your bills on time or early if possible.

1 Like

So these debts you speak of…if any of them are in collections let’s say one of them is $1500. You can call and offer to settle it for $500. They will go back and forth with you but they will take the $500. That’s for collections.
Another way if its credit card debt is to open a new credit card that has a 0% interest rate offer for a year and be sure you can pay it off in that year.
Always make more than your minimum payments (I know this isnt easy) Also if you pay it ahead of it’s due date you reduce the amount of interest you’re paying.
Good luck! I started out lower than you and in a couple years I paid off some, settled others and I now own my own home that I purchased on my own. I have almost a 780 credit score and was able to recently refinance my home, pay off my car and I’m sitting awesome for a single mom <3 You got this!! 2500 can be knocked out quick!

Sweetie I have all my bills paid automatically. I either do it on the credit cards website or through my bank account. That way I can pick the best date for me and I can spread my bills out over the course of the month. I have a 768 and that is with my forecloser. I will tell you that it will take some time. I have a daughter that has gone through the same thing. God bless you on your journey.

1 Like

Finger hut and a credit card. I did both kept finger hut under 50% usage and made double amount payments. And my card had a $200 limit kept under $30 paid off every month bosted me almost 100 points in 6 months and I got a car 3 months into that. Really high interest but I can refinance already for a lower rate.

1 Like

Make double payments (half one payment and half the other) makes the system think you’re paying twice, never be late on a monthly payment, always pay more than the minimum payment, only fill card to 30% capacity.

3 Likes

Never make a late payment. Pay your bills on time. Don’t use a. Credit card to pay another. Credit card. Live within your means

1 Like

Monitor, eliminate debt, learn how to use secured and nonsecured credit cards to your benefit… experian, is where I monitor my credit, transunion and equafax are other monitoring agencies. You can use credit karma or other tracking apps, but from what I am told they tend to be about 20 to 30 points off. They can still be useful, just keep it in mind.

Get your outstanding debt cleared always pay on time, never exceed credit limits, there are car companies that finance car purchases although they generally have a little higher interest but they do lend to damaged credit consumers pay that loan off as quick as possible and this will help put a positive credit account on record.