How can I convince my husband our daughter needs a cell phone?

Jitterbug phones for kids. You put in the numbers they can call

1 Like

She absolutely needs a phone for walking and being home alone. I would be very worried about what if there’s an emergency and she can’t contact anyone. Get her a phone and put parental controls on it

1 Like

You have a say in it too. It shouldn’t be just his decision.

3 Likes

I got my kid a phone for this exact reason, trust me I didn’t want to yet, but the world is a different place than when I was a kid walking home. However, she’s absolutely not allowed to have any social media.

2 Likes

Flip phone does enough

3 Likes

Show him some stories of missing young girls

4 Likes

she DEF needs a phone. maybe talk to him about parental controls? or you could just give him true crime podcasts (like “Morning cup of murder” or “10 minute murder”) and let him be traumatized into realizing it. Or just show him school shooting articles.

LBVS.

Set him up with a fake incident where it appears your daughter didnt make it home from school. Hide her at her friends or a relatives, and make him understand the importance of safety and contact or GPS tracking. If you cant reason with him, trick him. I know it sounds awful, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

5 Likes

Yes, she needs a phone for her safety. There are many parental controls and at some point he needs to trust her to be the person you two have raised her to be. Otherwise, she’ll reach an age where you have no say about what she does and she is totally unprepared for “life”.

5 Likes

they make smart watches for kids that are great for internet safety concerns. they allow calling and texting, alarms and location sharing but no internet. check Amazon

3 Likes

You can get phones without internet. My girls they turned 13 they had phones bc they were going to friends homes had after school activities and sometimes were home alone and needed to get ahold of us. Plus a lot of ppl don’t have landline’s anymore so you can’t just call other parents homes and ask for your child. So for us to get ahold of all 6 of our girls they each received cell phones at 13 ( our youngest is not 13 yet she has a tablet and our home is audio and video linked so we can talk to her and she can call us via Alexa if needed). We were nit going to allow our kids to not have the ability to have a way to contact us or help if ever needed an vice versa. Too much craziness in the world to not give your daughter especially a phone. There’s so many variables at play from sex trafficking, rapists, kidnappings, and just random acts of violence on others. An take into account she is a young girl walking home alone with any creep watching her every move and can learn she is home alone and no way to contact the outside world for help.

Yes for sure !! My 13 yr old has a phone bc she needs to be able to get ahold if me after practices, games, or any extracurricular activities, plus we have family location sharing for emergencies and whatnot… I feel so much better knowing she can reach me or her dad at any time, and if needed I can see exactly where she is at !

3 Likes

You can get phone and deals with no internet im currently researching plans for my 14 yr old son as well. He just needs it for the free texts and calls but I dont and avant afford to pay 30/month

There are phones with out social media access and parental controls.

1 Like

I have Family Link for my 10yo’s wi-fi only phone…and I can block and app plus set time limits (hers is shut off from bedtime to 6am) You can even make it super restricted like she can ONLY us it during when she leaves school until you get home from work.

Life 360 is a great app for saving your sanity as a parent! You can setup parental controls that will stop your child from downloading or deleting apps. Just about every phone function can be limited by time or circumstance these days. I’d go crazy without Life 360 and Bark.

She can have a cell phone just make it to where she can only txt and call on it. We have our daughters phone set up that way.

1 Like

You can get her a phone & monitor what she does. As well as not allow her to have social media.

1 Like

I’m this crazy ass world! Yes! Get her a phone!!

Get her a flip phone then. Literally only for call and texting. Cuz I agree - for safety she should have one.

1 Like

There are call/text apps like textnow call now that are free. Could put on an old phone

Get get the phone. This isn’t the 50s you can have a difference if opinion but this is safety 1st.

He needs to watch law & order svu more. Or watch the news

Compromise get her an old school one where she can call and text. She doesn’t need a smart phone. The rest should be easy it’s for safety and ease if access for u guys to check on her n her siblings etc.

1 Like

Trying to control a teenager makes a sneaky teenager.

4 Likes

I have both life 360 and family link. My youngest is 11. 13, 15 they all have phones due to extracurricular activities.

Just get her a regular flip phone that just calls then bam solved she has a phone but is t on social media Verizon still sells them and they are cheap

1 Like

Does he know that you can put parental controls on the phone? Google has a free app called family link that lets you control their phone and you can block apps. They also have to ask permission to download apps. Location can also be tracked. My 2 oldest (7 and 11) have phones, both have parental controls and I really don’t have any issues.

1 Like

You can get her a phone and you can be able to see what she’s doing on the phone. Explain that to him. And it’s her for her safety

1 Like

For the simple fact that she, as a young female, traveling alone, can. That should be enough of a reason. Because she can and it’s safer.

6 Likes

A lot of parents are getting their kids flip phones for their safety and there’s no social media

2 Likes

I agree, she needs one

A good compromise might be to get her one of those simple prepaid phone. Not a smart phone but one that she can call and text on

4 Likes

I feel high school age is the age for them. Mine didn’t get a smart phone until they were 16 and were ready for social media.

3 Likes

Parental controls is a life saver, Heather ‘s kids have to “ask for more screen time” and she can control who they can call and text… it really seems worth it…. And with iPhones, you can see their location

1 Like

The parental controls and settings out now are awesome! You can both view and control everything as far as what she’s doing on it and can/can’t do. She absolutely needs a phone with a data plan not just wifi if she’s walking to and from school.

4 Likes

She needs a phone especially if she walks home from school. You can put family link.on it to monitor her phone, apps and locations. My 13yo has one and we know where she’s at all.of the time. They’re are wayyyy to many crazy people out there and her being alone with no.way yo track her if something were to happen would be awful. And that doesn’t necessarily mean she can have social media. The family link letsyiu lock her phone remotely and decide what she downloads

2 Likes

She can have a simple phone :telephone_receiver: safety first!!

1 Like

You can activate a phone with only calling. At least where I am lol

Omgosh get her a phone. It’s safety. It doesn’t have to be fancy. Just a phone that can at least make phone calls!!! And Lorna Dempsey you are 100 percent on point

1 Like

You dont need his permission to make parenting decisions

1 Like

Get one without a data plan so that she can call for emergency help and check in with you and vice versa but she can’t be on the internet

1 Like

Track phone with no data. Text and calls is like 15 a month.

2 Likes

Compromise on a flip phone that just makes calls and texts , the old fashioned, hard way…no camera , no wifi, I bet he’ll go for that.

5 Likes

For her safety period !

You can get a basic phone without social media. Problem solved

2 Likes

Get her a pre paid flip phone and a whistle.

1 Like

I’d just get her one and let him be mad

5 Likes

Just get her one :woman_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

She deff needs a phone. We have att & have the family link app & we can track them, lock the phone for bed time, unlock for morning time. & approve & deny any apps they want.

1 Like

That phone is an educational learning tool because they have to read everything kid are responsible you just have to give them a chance and let them know there are rules ours got her phone when she was 6 helped her reading and learning.

We use our alexa speaker to call my daughter when she’s home and we are not. But I’d feel like getting her a phone is necessary if she walked home and was home alone often without me. Tell hubs either she gets a cheap cell plan or he can pay for an expensive landline lol

3 Likes

She absolutely needs a phone! She is walking ALONE from school and being home alone!!! There are a million and one parental controls possible on any phone and can be monitored from the parents devices! She is ole ty old enough for a phone and it will teach her responsibility, to care for and keep track of personal things! Kids these days could give a shit less about the value of anything of there own and/or other ppls things! Teaching a child to take care of things and respecting it is a trait that is dying quickly! She is responsible enough to be self sufficient to walk to n from school and be home alone then she is old enough to have communication in case of an emergency! Does dad not realize that kids go missing every single day just taking a walk !? Hell some are even in the presents of the parent n ppl don’t know what to do or how to react! If someone were to be fallowing her or suspicious person in the area she could have a phone to contact a parent or police! Not to mention you can know her location at any given time of day! Get her a phone n tell dad to damn bad! (We got my oldest his first phone at 12 he’s now 14 and has never once lost or broke his phones)

You can still get flip phones. This is definitely a necessity!!!

2 Likes

Tell him to watch the news or get on google. Your child needs it for safety. Doesn’t have to be fancy. A flip phone would work. Don’t get an air tag though. Anyone with an iPhone can hack into it

Who’s kidding who? 14 is not too young for a phone. She needs one to ‘fit in’ and be a part of her peer group. A flip phone would only be embarrassing for her. Let her find ways to help pay for it. Try to make your husband understand that being overly strict with her now will only cause her to be a troubled, rebellious teen that you won’t be able to trust because she’ll have to lie, and hide a lot of things from him.

6 Likes

A phone is a basic tool required to function in our society. Just monitor her activity. She needs the ability to contact someone in an emergency. You can’t always be with her.

1 Like

Definitely needs a phone!

If it’s too dangerous for her to walk without one she probably shouldn’t be walking to and from school at all :woman_shrugging:
Bad guys don’t tend to stop and let their victims make phone calls…
Maybe she could carpool with a friend

1 Like

My 6 and 10 year olds have phones

3 Likes

Could just get her an old school button phone for texting and calling only if he’s that worried about her having access to apps etc

1 Like

You could always opt for a gizmo gadget watch. They can call… and send short text messages. You can also track them.

We didn’t let our kids have phone till they worked
Pay for the whole bill

Because she walks. My daughter was younger when she got her phone. Bf l because she walked. Home from school… you can put a tracker on her phone. Does he think her not having a phone will keep her off social media? Does she have access to a computer? She can get social media there.

2 Likes

Tell him your gonna download life360 so you can see her location at all times

2 Likes

I have Verizon smart family. I can track their location, approve what numbers they can contact, turn off apps and websites, check in spots like home, school. Can turn off their data during school hours, and bed time.

3 Likes

School shootings, bullying, stalkers, after school programs canceled or extended, going to a friends instead of home, the list goes on.

6 Likes

Just get an old school flip phone

3 Likes

I think those reasons alone are reason enough to need a cellphone. I’d get her one anyways, whether he likes it or not. When it comes to safety, I wouldn’t wait around for his permission.

5 Likes

She’s already on social media.

5 Likes

just get her a button phone. for calls only. people survived not having a phone in the past. she wil be alright.

Probably an unpopular opinion and this depends to on how your relationship works. I would go ahead and get her one anyway and then explain all of the reasons why. There are some things that each of us overrule each other on, it’s just how we roll I guess. So far we’ve been married for 20 years and have managed to understand each other’s reasoning in time. :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Get her a Gabb phone. Look it up online. They are phones created for children that do not allow any type of social media. Only texting, calling, and picture taking. I got one for my daughter and we love it!

4 Likes

Get her a phone, get life 360 and download family link. Life 360 you can see where she’s at instantly, and when she arrives and leave home or school. Family link you can set lock times for her phone and parental controls.

3 Likes

Get the girl a phone and put an app like 360 on it. It’s wonderful for seeing where the phone is. As long as it’s on her and turned on, you have a GPS on her. You can do a family group like our family. We all can check it anytime to find out where each other is. My son insisted on me and his mother in law having it as well as him, his wife and kids. Like he said, that way he can always know how to get to us if we need him. All my kids and grandchildren have it. These days a phone is truly necessary for safety if they’re outta your sight much.

4 Likes

Is this a case of the only way she’ll get a phone is if dad pays for it?

Just do parental settings

My 10 yr old has a phone w life 360 downloaded my absolute fav thing ever

1 Like

Just buy one. She walks home. It’s for safety. She can have parental co tools but she needs to be able to be located and to call out.

3 Likes

If you can’t compromise on a phone then get her a smart watch with calling. My sister did that for her son. My 12 yr old got a flip phone last year because he started walking to and from school by himself. It made me feel safer when he went on sleepovers as well because he always had a way to call or text me if he was in trouble or uncomfortable

She may have to call and say ’

Get her an android phone. Google has had Google family link that can block apps and everything. Also you get the app life 360 and it can tell you where they’re at 24/7. My oldest is 11 and rides the bus. She can contact me anytime she doesn’t feel safe, and I can come get her. $30 a month with straight talk!

1 Like

10 year olds have phones these days! At 14 she should have one. The world is a crazy place with bad people. What if she needed help? Get the phone

Definitely agree with you, she needs one. I got my daughter one around that for that reason. She te texted me when she got to bus stop school home etc and got life 360 so I knew exactly where she was. You csn put parental controls on phone I think or just monitor her phone.

Compromise with a flip phone :tipping_hand_woman:t4:

1 Like

If she home alone and there is no house line she needs a cell. She needs one walking home from school for safety. You can put restrictions on it that prevent her getting on social media and the internet

My son is 11 and he’s getting a phone next month. I work 12 hour days 3 or 4 days a week and he gets himself ready and outside waiting for the bus by himself. I feel like he needs one because of emergencies

You just listed the only reason he should need… she walks home alone…

If you need multiple reasons…

She walks home alone and is home alone while you’re both at work. I assume you don’t have a landline, because very few people do these days, so what if there is an emergency while she’s home alone?

Giving her a phone will help teach her responsibilities, she can also lose it for not following certain rules… Like no social media… it also gives her a little bit of privacy, which children need in order to build trust.

Give her rules for the phone, like she has to do chores to earn the money to pay the bill, she agrees to keep her location shared with her parents at all times, she agrees to not give her phone number to anyone that she doesn’t know (meaning only her family and friends).

My kids all got cell phones when they were around 10. They would walk the 4 blocks home from school, and sometimes they would get home before I did. My two oldest went to an after school club. I wanted them to be able to contact me if they needed to. And their dad and I were separated and I wanted them to be able to contact me and their dad anytime they wanted when with the other parent. They all did household chores to “pay” their phone bill until they started working.

1. SAFETY.

Thats it. And you can block apps and set restrictions on phones. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Get her one, stop trying to convince him of something that is necessary. He will learn it’s best.

1 Like

I got my daughter her first cell phone at 13 primarily because she played sports and had late games and practices and if I was working and she needed something she could contact us. It depends on how responsible she is. If she has proven to take care of her things and knows the dangers of social media she should have one in case she needs it.

Safety reason the most. Even if it is a phone you can put minutes on it. Not saying buy that. But things happen now, you just need one

They sell these cheapish watches for kids that save like 3 phone numbers on them for emergencies. If I’m not mistaken you can track them too. My aunt has one for ALL her kids ages 3-16 for this exact reason… Safety. That’s if a cell phone can’t be compromised though. A lot of phones have parental controls available. She doesn’t need the newest either. Something simple. My parents were always able to track our location and view our messages and calls and photos (even after we deleted them) via parental controls.

1 Like

If you dont have a landline I would definitely say yes. How can she check in, or if there’s an issue.

1 Like

Needs: water, shelter and food. Wants: phone

1 Like

I absolutely agree here. As I was also 14 when I recieved my first phone (wasn’t even a touch screen :sweat_smile:) I stayed after school often for extra curriculars and as a way to communicate with my parents it was necessary.
If your husband is concerned for social media then there are plenty of options that do not allow internet usage or any type of app downloads. Get a simple call and text phone for the basic needs :slight_smile:

1 Like

you said the main thing, she walks to & from school. that’s SAFETY!

2 Likes

My kids got cell phones when they were about 13 or 14 they were prepaid phones limited minutes couldn’t go on any social media apps or anything. Some companies I believe AT&T does have it where you can have a cell phone but it’s for emergencies you can add peoples numbers in the phones and they can only call the numbers that are in the phone and emergency numbers it’s all restricted, so have him look into it through different cell phone companies whatever you have around if he’s that concerned my girls are grown my youngest is almost 17 and he does have a phone but I can monitor it I have tracking on it’s on my Apple ID so I can set restrictions myself.

We got our kiddo a cellphone because they are in high school and in thr event of an emergency.