How can I convince my husband our daughter needs a cell phone?

If she is home alone my biggest concern is what if there is a fire or someone is trying to break in. She needs a phone to call 911. If she’s walking home alone what if someone is following her or trying to kidnap her. She needs to call 911

5 Likes

Safety… show him all the missing murdered teenage girls maybe that will help its dangerous for a young girl her age

2 Likes

Check Gabb Wireless! No internet junk, unnecessary apps, etc.

2 Likes

What about a flip phone?

2 Likes

My 8 year old has a phone,also my 13 and 15 yr old has had a phone for 2 to 3 years now.

She doesn’t need an iPhone 12. Get her a cheap flip phone for safety

3 Likes

Get a flip phone for her, or get a prepaid phone that you have to put data on to use any of the social media apps. Trac fone sells the smartphones but you can control if it can only call and text or have actual data for the internet

2 Likes

Just get something for emergencies and family contacts. My neighbor hust had to put her 13 yr old in a clinic because she was texting with some old guy that contacted her on internet. She almost ran away to meet him. Whatever you do keep her safe and check her contacts several times a week. For her well bring. Not because you don’t trust her. Preditors are sneaky and smart about it.

1 Like

Get her a phone for her safety and download this app. You can control everything she does and doesnt do. Protect your child at all cost

1 Like

Get her a phone and put parental controls on it. I have family link for my daughter. I can control all apps she has on it and they have to be approved before she can download them. Also control how long she is on it and bed time. Walking home and being home alone is the reason my daughter got her first phone. And now my son (almost 9) has one to take to school for emergencies because I don’t trust this world anymore. But again parental controls are set on it.

For safety reasons, a definite YES!!!

Parents can control social media, so if that’s a N-O with the husband, that is something he can control.

1 Like

She’s 14 years old buy her damn phone… It’s for her safety I wouldn’t even question that just do it

Get her a cell phone but make it a flip phone with minutes on it that way it can only be used for emergency purposes only I do have to say though that my seven-year-old because he’s home for 30 minutes after school alone does have a cell phone to call us when he gets through the door and if there’s any emergencies

Get her a basic phone to start with… not a smartphone

Gabb Wireless made for kids! Won’t break the bank either

1 Like

Just get a flip phone. Then it’s just a phone. Good compromise

Get her a phone that can only call then but she seems old enough for a phone in my opinion

3 Likes

Get one that she can’t use social media on for now. Like a flip phone. She can call or text if she needs but can’t use social media

Get her a flip phone, good compromise :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Get her a phone that doesn’t have internet. Only talk (and text if you agree).

A phone and mace both

2 Likes

Just get her a flip phone or a phone with no internet

3 Likes

Get apple watch only plan. That’s what we did for our 14 years old.

You can lock down what sites she can go to and who she can call and text. Add a tracker like life 360.

1 Like

Um walking alone home alone, as crazy as this is tradey at school, typical teen

Get her a phone that she can only call and text on.

1 Like

I know Verizon smart family app can control alot on their phones and make it where they can’t go on social media

If it’s just for security then get her a phone but don’t add on any credit so she can only call emergency services.

This is really amazing earning massively from Bitcoin investment with the help of an honest and genuine expert Manager Rochelle Shannon. As a newbie I started with what I could actually afford (starter plan)and to be honest am shocked with the outcome so amazing…to get started click on the link below for more information.

Moochie watch, can see where the child is and has direct contacts only so no scam calls or messages

Pre paid phone. Has a phone and no social media.

Excellent apps available as a compromise that can restrict what can be used as a compromise

Oh she needed a phone years ago. Mine was 11yrs old

1 Like

Don’t get her a flip phone she might get bullied she needs a phone if she’s walking to and from school I mean that should be enough for her dad to agree to 1 set boundaries and tell her no to social media if you’re child has respect for you then she will do as she’s asked I mean I’d just be getting her 1 regardless of what her dad thinks she’s 14 and old enough it’s fir her own safety afterall hope you get it sorted xx

1 Like

You listed the reason right there yourself. She walks home alone from school to come home to an empty house. Get her a phone that doesn’t have internet so she can’t use social media if that’s what he’s worried about

2 Likes

It’s not about creeps. It’s about getting help if she falls and breaks her ankle. I got a call from mine telling me just that. People were literally walking past and ignoring this 12 y/o sat on the pavement! Or the time when I was stuck in snow for four hours and they’d misplaced their key? I called them to say where I was and told them where to go to stay safe and warm. Soon she’ll want to go for pizza or a drink with friends after school and this way can ask you. Chances are she has Instagram on a computer already so he’s being naive if he thinks you only need a phone for that!

1 Like

You can get a basic flip phone with no internet
Access or use parental controls to allow/block access. Heck a friend of mine used parental controls on her daughters phone when she was in college. No phone calls after 11pm. You can also use controls to determine what numbers are allowed. Parents/grands/school etc. better safe than sorry. Good luck!

Oh I don’t know where y’all are located, but I am in a small town about 2 hours from the border in Texas/Mexico. Human trafficking is a big problem, and no place is off limits.

I hope that you have taught your daughter some basic self defense skills and make sure that she stays aware of her surroundings at all times. Is there a close neighbor student that she can walk with?

She definitely needs a phone. Walmart has them and prepaid cards. She needs a way to contact someone. What if she’s being followed while walking home? What if she falls and injured herself? What if she gets home and someone’s there? I’d also recommend the app Life360. You’d be able to see where she is. It can alert you when she leaves school and arrives at home. You can literally watch her walking on the map. Internet and apps can be blocked on phones, it’s easy to do.

2 Likes

Oh some of the teachers have started using cell phones in their classes. And they students can access google classroom and do their school work anytime with a cell phone or tablet.

The dangers in this day and age she needs it for her safety… two young lads age fourteen who stay up the road from our place was approached by men in a van, they threatened the boys and told them to get into it but luckily the boys ran they had their phones and called the police and they were there within minutes but those men shot off sadly they didn’t get the van number but it was on the local news so everyone was on alert. She needs a phone for her safety…

gee, I wonder how we made it home alive with no cell phone !!! I do understand why your husband feels this way, Look at all the kids would on the internet watching how to kill oneself, pedophiles watching them & then friending them !!! ETC , ETC, ETC

3 Likes

Personally in todays world she needs it, especially if she is alone… it doesnt have to top of the range either… You can down load a parental app that prevents them going onto social media… I have this for my daughter. You can switch off and on any apps you wish too and it also asks the parents permission if they try to download anything. It’s amazing… also the life 360 app let’s you know of their whereabouts. X

1 Like

Good percentage of teen girls That are snatched by Human Sex Traffickers Are the ones walking home alone from school. My daughter was 14 when she started walking home And I got her a Cell Phone One day a male was following her And then came across the field So she knew for sure he was following her And she called me We lived close to the school And when I got to her he was still coming behind her When I started running after him He took off and went out of site Not sure where he disappeared that quick too But I couldn’t find him nowhere The cops never found him either.

…I mean you literally laid it out already…she WALKS HOME…ALONE…and sits home ALONE until you get there…how is that not reason enough?

My almost 7yo has a cellphone. It’s parental controlled from my phone, she can only contact who we put in her contacts…all other numbers are blocked. We track her location and it gives updates if she isn’t where she should be (sneaky grandparents :expressionless:)…

I want my child to be able to reach me WHENEVER they need/want me…

*Wanna come home from a sleepover… I’m there
*Friends being mean… I’m there
*Don’t wanna stay at Grandma’s…I’m there

Use the parental co tool app through google…its a life saver

2 Likes

I had my first phone at age 12 for safety, u biked/walked to and from school etc.
No I phone needed, a basic trac phone

Um #1 reason she’s walking to and from school by herself!!

What about a watch that can tell you her location?

1 Like

In this day and age she should most definitely have a cell phone. I am 31 and I was nearly snatched up off the street at 16 walking a few blocks from work to my home. It was in the middle of the day next to a fire station. Thankfully I had a cell phone and called the police and my mom. She should definitely have one. Anything could happen at home and how is she going to call anyone? I’d buy her one anyways.

Give him a list of girls that have been kidnapped and trafficked and ask him if he wants his daughter to be one of them. Men will never understand the dangers that are out there for girls and women. She NEEDS a phone. You can block social media and there are tons of parental controls and phones that ONLY call and text.

Wait until she’s 16 maybe? We didn’t have them when we were 14 and we turned out fine.

1 Like

Have him listen to some true crime podcast episodes about girls being taken

1 Like

If concerned about her going on social media…
Maybe get her a flip phone. Strictly meant for calling.

1 Like

Get a flip phone or just no internet on it that way it’s used for calling/texting only.

Just get her a simple flip phone! No social media necessary!

A flip phone would work

As the lady above said SHE WALKS HOME FROM SCHOOL AND sits home alone…how does he know she even got home…does he care? If it were me I would just go and get her one…

Not that this should be on the list but she’s probably already on social media. I used to have a MySpace that I ran from a friend’s house. And if she has access to a computer at home that would be even easier.

2 Likes

I think she’s better off with one than without but does she NEEED one? No. We lived millions of years without it. Kids have walked home without a phone all that time.

2 Likes

Get her a phone, get family link (free app) for all of your phones. You can lock the phone wherever you want, see what apps she’s using, and have the location at all times. She will not be able to delete the app without your password.

2 Likes

What a crock. She doesn’t need a phone. We survived without one before they were invented.

The world today is so different than it was when you and husband were growing up. You’re also kinda setting her up for being bullied for not being able to do anything with technology at this age. All our nieces and nephews have at least Snapchat and cellphones and did when they were 14. But safety wise, she should.
True crime podcasts though. Have him listen to some.

I definitely feel that a child that is left alone or past a certain age should have a cell phone. There is too much danger for women and young girls. Maybe educate on the dangers of social media and how to use wisely with common sense. Just because you say you dont want your child on social media doesnt mean they will listen they’ll just find better and better ways to get what they want. But overall a cell phone would be wise because if in trouble it could end up saving her life if she can call for help.

1 Like

Get her a phone and Put parent control on it . Also life line to track her and the phone . That works both ways so she also knows where you are . I got my granddaughter one at 9 because of sports . A lot of times they would cancel after the kids got there . So she could call me . A parent would wait until I got there . I watched games
But not practice I had a fractured hip at the time

1 Like

I just got paid $9601 working off my laptop this month. And if you think that’s cool, my divorced friend has twin toddlers and made over $ 12348 her first month. It feels so good making so much money when other people have to work for so much less.

This is what I do… https://NethomeJob670.pages.dev/

You could also start with one of those gps watches for kids. Where they can do calls and text and video to only like 5 contacts.

1 Like

She’s in high school……, but the cord and give the girl a phone. Can’t baby her forever.

2 Likes

I got a $40 phone for my 9 year old. I got it because now that she is going over to friends houses, has sleepovers she is able to contact me, at any time. Also allows her to call 911 whenever she needs to without having to scurry for someone elses phone. Just because she has a phone, doesn’t mean she has to have social media. Set rules and boundaries. I don’t allow TikTok or any form of social media. My daughter has kids YouTube, a few games and Duo that she likes to video chat friends.

I’d buy it whether he likes it or not. Your child’s safety comes first.

5 Likes

My daughter has a phone. I block all social media. Problem solved. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I got my son a phone for similar reasons. Just a basic prepaid phone. I used the Google family link app for parental controls and was able to block all social media and any other app I felt he didn’t need access too. You can also set age rating to what apps they’re allowed to download.

A basic phone would work and be inexpensive, or adding a phone. He needs to get his head above his waist at 14 in today’s society she needs a phone!

1 Like

It doesn’t have to be a smart phone

Get her a flip phone with no internet if it’s that big of a concern so she can check in and have it in case of an emergency. Do you have a landline for her at least?

3 Likes

I just got paid $9601 working off my laptop this month. And if you think that’s cool, my divorced friend has twin toddlers and made over $ 12348 her first month. It feels so good making so much money when other people have to work for so much less.

This is what I do… https://NethomeJob690.pages.dev/

They have phones that only allow texting and calling.

1 Like

So get her an old phone that can only make calls, this way it is for emergency or contact purposes

You can block all the apps you want with the iPhone using thier screen time already on the phones. All you need is a password that the kid doesn’t have and you can block anything you want.

Get her family link an you can literally control everything an see her location

1 Like

I’m trying to figure out how my kids now all graduates made it thru school without a cell phone…hmmmmm

2 Likes

Simple…in case of an emergency and of course to let you know she’s home. My 11 year old has a cell phone mainly for this reason. I work 2 hours after he gets off of school and he calls me when he’s leaving school and when he gets home. You can even share her location so you can see where she’s at…

My 3 oldest have one I have life 360 and set up their block sites an shut the phone off at night any child who walks home from school needs one especially if they are walking alone this world isn’t like the 80,99,early 00

She’s 14, walks to and from school. That is plenty of reason right there. Another one needed? Walking home alone; what if she was chased by an unknown person? Hit? Fell while walking home and broke her ankle? Sprained her ankle? What if coming into your home someone was there who is not a family member? She’s be without a way to communicate to anyone least of all police or ambulance and 911. Dad needs to dig his head out of the sand and face facts that for his daughter’s safe well being she has to have a phone. Social media is the least of his worries.

1 Like

She literally needs a cell phone. He’ll regret his opinion in an emergency. Sorry I would overrule him on this and do it anyways.

6 Likes

You made your list.
-Walks home alone from school
-is home alone

Solid reasons for me!

6 Likes

Put restrictions on it.

1 Like

Start with a firefly for HIS sake. And after he realizes she needs a dang phone ultimately FOR safety then get an actual age appropriate phone for her.

There are plenty of apps and parental control setting to stop her accessing social media.
He is being ridiculously narrow minded and might I say it, even a little irresponsible.
There are enough strong reasons for you wanting/needing her to have a phone.
It’s not just his opinion that counts.
She is your child too.

1 Like

I have 4 kids. The 3 oldest never had phones til 16, but my 13 yr old had one starting at 11 and still has one. She showed responsibility, by always calling me on messenger to check-in if I ran to the store or something. My kids even my 18 yr old (I pay the bill) are not allowed to have WhatsApp, snapp chat or ticktock. Facebook and Instagram are set to private.

Omg I can’t believe he’s even balking about her having one especially if she’s walking to school😡 My 3 middle granddaughter all have cell phones ( none with social media ) because the 14 yr old walks to and from school and the 2 younger ones have many after school and weekend activities and can call if they get sick or when they are ready to be picked up. He needs to drag his knuckles into this century .

I’d do it anyway. The safety of my child is something I’d gladly enter into a fight with my husband over. :man_shrugging:
You don’t have to get an extravagant phone.

2 Likes

Get her a phone without social media then

1 Like

Flip phone! Perfect compromise… also, barely costs anything!

My daughter is 11 I just got her one. She needs to be contacted!!! And able to contact.

My daughter has a phone but her number is linked to mine. So everything that she does on her phone I either get notified or I see.

My kids have phones and text me as they are walking unto school gate and get home , gives me peace of mind when I’m at work.

Get family link on the phone and you can control everything. You can see what she’s downloading , track where she’s at, see how long she spends on the phone, set it to lock and unlock at certain times of the day… Etc.

1 Like

She needs a phone !!! This is for safety. ALSO, She’s 14 years old. Not or even 12. It’s absolutely appropriate for her to have a phone. Up until last month my 15 year old had a $50 Android phone. You don’t have to go crazy in phone costs , but you do need to make sure your daughter is able to contact you

1 Like

I would’ve already got her one. You can get basic phones for calling only.

They have parental controls, tracking, data and app tracking etc so his reasoning is crap. They have come a long way in phones and making them safe- her walking to school and home without a phone is a safety issue and he should be concerned about it.

She needs one for emergencies and you can set rules and do phone checks

1 Like