How can I deal with grand parents that play favorites?

When in laws aren’t happy with their sons choice for a wife, they will do anything to hurt his family, I’m a firm believer :frowning:

2 Likes

Stop taking him. As he grows older, he will see the difference and ask why grandma doesn’t love him. You cannot put him thru that. Separate yourselves and have Christmas just for yourselves. If you can, make him a few things or find someone who can do it. Make it all about him alone.

This happens to my all of my kids except it’s so weird my older daughter has her dad and her dad’s mom but my middle child has his grandma but not their dad and my youngest has his dad and I and my older 2 grandma but no one in my family or even his so now all we do during the holidays is surround ourselves with my olders kids dads mom she even claims my youngest boy and he is not her biologically or even related to me everyone else can kicks rocks all my other nieces and nephews and hubby’s nieces and nephews get spoiled not my kids but all that matters is us parents showing them we love them

I’m sure there’s someone out there that would love to treat your kids like their own. Find them and give someone who doesn’t have anyone a family to make your babies feel true love

1 Like

They know your feelings and are still doing it??!! Your SIL is going out of her way to do stuff to make your child feel bad???!!! Girl if that were me they wouldnt be standing. However, to be the TRUE adult in the situation, remove yourself from family gatherings and try to do a little extra for yours during that time of year so they don’t feel so left out. If you need help, I’m quite good at crocheting and am more than willing to teach you how to make a blanket or 2 for yours. My sister is GREAT at doing home made things like pillows. We can ALL work on something. Then you can take pictures and show them off at the next family reunion. LMAO

3 Likes

because of this stuff I decided to start having separate Christmases the different families so there were no more comparisons.

2 Likes

My parents (RIP) played favorites with my boys, but not my other nephews, anyway I would put them in their places and tell them to either treat my boys the same or you were just not going to see them at all, especially the favorite one. My youngest who was NOT the favorite still loves them both very much and he misses them, even if they never showed love towards him, just bought him the same amount of stuff because I was always around. I did not trust my mother.

Don’t say anything as it’s not needed.
All thats needed is seclusion. Don’t take him there for Christmas anymore, make the same effort they would. And when they have a bitch about it, just simply say “it doesn’t feel good does it”

They don’t seem like the kind of people you want to be around or have your children around. They sound very possessive and a little narcissistic to be honest.

You do what’s best for your family, that’s all that matters

1 Like

He’ll see that one day. I’ve personally can say that being on of five children. We don’t play favorites and I refuse to have my kids around such negativity. But, your kids will know it. You have to learn to ignore it.

1 Like

Don’t take them back over… I am kind of in the same boat… And I am not talking to my sister nor my mother because of the way my children, my fiance and myself were treated. I refuse to be where there is negativity period. And my family are a lot happier since I cut my sister and my mother off. 1 day they will need me…

2 Likes

I’ve always thought my nieces come before my kids in my mom’s eyes but she doesn’t agree and doesn’t see it. You can’t make people see things your way. Meanwhile me and my kids take her treatment and forgive her evertime because life to short to worry about what we can’t change we love my mom and don’t treat her any different because she’s my mom and all we have regardless of her actions.

Say no more… The grandma was warned. I wouldn’t bring my child around anymore. Children knows when there is a difference being made. The grandma will be the one missing out not your son, so it’s her loss. From experience. She will see him when he see him and when he get older he will remember this and not deal with her. Then she will see.

I agree with your sister. Don’t say anything. If the kids don’t have a problem with it then allow Christmas to be for the kids. When you know how people are then you make sure that you move accordingly. Don’t get into it about your in-laws because you never know when you may really need them. You guys are going to fall out over stuff and that’s what it is stuff. So what make your own shirts for your own children and stop crying about it and let them enjoy :christmas_tree:

I went through something similiar and I ended it. I cut everyone off. It took some years and many attempts for my parents to realize if they didn’t make a change then they would not watch my children grown up. I had enough. I didn’t care but my kids would not be second best to anyone’s kids. They finally got the picture this past year maybe. We are still testing the waters. My kids know what is going on and know why that side of the family isn’t involved. They also Know I am looking out for their best interest.

1 Like

My children’s grandparents don’t do anything for Christmas or birthdays. I feel bad for you. It’s hard!!!

When you son gets older he will see what’s going on and make his own chose trust me mine did.

1 Like

Maybe you and your husband could take your son to visit your MIL on a different day. That way he would get one on one time with her. Also it would help with the gift giving.You will not know what the other kids receive from her. This way there might not be any hurt feelings.

How awful. I wouldn’t go anymore. This will hurt that much more as they get older. And you’re right…how sad and pathetic that grown adults behave this way :rage:

1 Like

I actually don’t know if the presents were that big of a deal. I almost wish you hadn’t mentioned it. You know why? Because I guarantee there has been things that you may or may not remember for your son’s whole life. This was just the last straw. When you say something about gifts folks will say it’s not about gifts. Yea, that’s not the point. So yea, when you’re already heightened to the fact that they don’t treat their grand babies equal, the gift is relevant to you. I wouldn’t go to Christmas at their houses. I wouldn’t deal with them at all.

I totally feel you! My own mother did and still does this with my younger sis kids. My kids were old enough to understand. And it hurts we haven’t been to Xmas or really spoken to them in about 4yrs😥 it’s tough

I have also recently disowned my own father for playing favorites and being a totally dooche to my kids. Get rid of the negativity from the kids they don’t deserve it. They were much happier this Christmas without him.

Just stay away from the toxic environment. That what we do! I will not put my daughter through it.

A question to ask rather than is this favoritism is, is this gender favoritism?
He did receive a gift, so that’s out. Did he receive the same gift? No.
Perhaps Grandma isn’t fully aware of how hurtful this practice is.
This is something that is quite common with some in an older generation that see boys as the old nursery rhyme.
Boys are made of snips, snails and puppy dog tails & girls are made of sugar and spice and everything nice.
I’m not condoning this behavior
I’m older, a grandmother, granted a younger one in my mid 40’s, so this kind of ‘snails/tails & sugar/spice’ has been mostly weeded out in younger generations.
Grandma may honestly not be aware of how much her favoritism hurts, even when it’s clearly explained to her, she may think ‘but it’s always been this way’
🤷

Honestly I would not go to Christmas there I dealt with this with my child

I won’t take my son back till I talk to everyone about how this made my son feel being left out not fun don’t do for one that you can’t do for the others I am a mother of 4 and 4 step kids and I would never put any of my kids through that but that just me with that my husband grandma always get Christmas gifts for my husband kids but not mine so they just don’t go around her

1 Like

We have 2 grandkids who are 6 weeks apart we never favorite one or the other yes they get different gift as they only 2.5 yrs one girl one boy so ones into cars, trucks, bugs, the other into bugs, playdough drawing, I couldn’t do this too them or would I, I’ve made things for both , I had the mother in-law from hell this is Excacly what she did all the bloody time so many fights over this my draughter was always left out yes she got presents but it’s not just about the present it’s how she made me and my draughter feel , but that’s all done and dusted I got divorced got remarriage and couldn’t be happy my draughter will never talk too her grandmother again as she’s an adult now but she always remembers how she was treated

1 Like

Maybe because he’s a boy, they are trying to give him more of a boys gift then a girls gift. He’s 2 maybe they didn’t think having a shirt for him was as important. This all seems pretty petty. My kids are treated like shit from both sides of the family & I don’t give two shits about it. It’s their loss.

Try not to let it bother you. Tell them that your sorry that they don’t think your son is deserving of homemade stuff. But hope your niece and nephew liked what they got. And that maybe your son wouldn’t like it anyway.

People are not entitled to buy your children anything only you and your husband are. Turn and walk away from the pettiness

There no favorite grand children in my book they are all treated equal

1 Like

Maybe think that at least she got him something? She may have thought he would like the toy better than a shirt, since he is 2.

I would stop them from being apart of my kids life

Omg…everything has to be put on social media…seriously…
Here’s a thought… since you need advice and can’t figure this out on your own
STOP LETTING THEM BE APART OF YOU AND THE KIDS LIVES…you made your point…it gets ignored… MOVE ON…simple logic.

You can’t control how people act BUT you can control how you react to it. If this was me I would simply tell both of them that the choices they are making are affecting my son in a negative way and I’m not ok with it. If you want to play favorites and exclude my son your grandson/nephew that is your choice but I will not allow you to intentionally or unintentionally hurt my child. I will no longer be celebrating this holiday with you. I want to enjoy the day with family I want to see my son smile and full of excitement not sadness and disappointment from being left out I would then make other arrangements for the following year either other family or creat new traditions with your family

My daughter has this problem. Her daughter’s gmal buys more for and only wants to take the oldest. For the other one that’s 9 months younger, she gets clothes that fit her sister, and no attention from that gmal. It’s all about the oldest one.

It’s important that your children know that life is not fair. Even when it comes to families. Teach them to forget the ignorance of others . We shouldn’t judge a self-worth by what other people do . Has been important coping skills for life that is one of the best presents you can give your child .

I’d let it go…pick and choose your battles, he is 2, and dosen’t see what you do. I had this at one point. It’s just not worth the attention your giving it.

They are grown adults and still playing childish games, your supposed to be the better person. Shit your the parent of Your. CHILD why are you thinking of choosing sides ? Be the adult and stay away from extra bullshit you know is done on purpose. I get it’s family but at the same time family can be your biggest enemy

and alot of 2yr olds would rather have a toy than clothing any day

I ask her why your son doesn’t get homemade things in front of everyone

My mother favors my sisters kids. Mine get nothing from her on their birthday but my nephews get loads of gifts for Christmas they lucky if they get a $20 in a combined card mailed in bc my sister will be there and we aren’t invited. Her kids get tons of gifts from my mom

Wow your husband doesn’t say or do anything? I don’t play when it comes to my kids so that would’ve been their last Christmas with them.

Exclude yourself and son from them they are cruel monsters

3 Likes

Mine does this. I just don’t take my kids around them.

3 Likes

I would stop going around. That’s ridic, only if your son asks to see her would I take him. So sorry momma :broken_heart:

Don’t let it bother you…she keep doing it if it makes u mad…just do your thing just ignore her I went through that my kids new that she was doing it they teens now they ignore her she had her chance now I just sir back let karma do her job

1 Like

Just glad I have two grandkids near…but never forget my other one farther away.
b-days…holidays ect. They are not married…but he is still my grandchild​:heart::pray:

1 Like

The older he gets the harder it’ll be on him cuz he’ll understand more. I’d stop going😠

Sweetie it not going to get better l know from experience​:disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved: something about a mom in law… l am not like that l have 5 grandkids l make sure each one has the same!!:pray::pray::pray: I don’t get in my children way don’t take side… l just Love them son in laws and my only daughter in law… if it wasn’t for each one of them l have no Precious grandkids… :disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved: loss one at the age of 21 … Nathan was the oldest . Made 6 lord l miss him so bad! Sorry I just couldn’t live him out​:disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::pray::pray::pray: my dear l hope I can be wrong on this one…:pray::pray::pray:

i DONT CARE WHAT YOU SAY.YOU AND SEAN ARE TWO OF THE WORST PARENTS I HAVE EVER SEEN. YOUR KIDS DINT WANT TO BE AROUND YOU TWO THAT IS WHY THE GIRLS WOULD COME DOWN STAIRS EVERY NIGHT O GET AWAY FROM YOU BOTH.

Stop taking him over there

Keep your son away from this

Don’t worry about what stupid people do.

My mother in law was horrible to my oldest. I married her son with my 5 year old, we had a baby together a year later and this pos woman still says the baby, now 12 is the oldest grandchild. Not MY 17 year old awesome kid. People are cruel.

My son has 9 cousins. His dad was always the black sheep to his parents and his granny basically raised him because he didn’t like being around his parents. My now 8 year old has been treated like the black sheep since he was born because it trickled down from his dad. My boy is the most behaved and kind hearted out of all the other grandkids. His grandpa passed away of cancer a year ago and he was the only one on that side that treated my son equal. His granny however claims she does more for the others because they only have 1 active parent where my son has 2. I am also the most stable of all the parents and my son lives a all around nice lifestyle. I still get so mad at how they mistreat him and leave him out. I keep him from them because I hate seeing him hurt. After a while he will ask if he can go over there because he misses his cousins, I let him decide that he wants to try again and see if things might be different but every single time his hopes are crushed because nothing has changed since day 1. So now I dont give him the chance to anymore and now that he’s older he has lost interest. My 8 year old should not be the one trying to give so many chances to people he really loves when they don’t make the effort or appreciate him in return. You can’t force anyone to cherish your child, in my opinion and experience… It’s their loss. Stop trying because it most likely will get worse as he gets older.

3 Likes